Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > News & Current Events
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News & Current Events Discuss Obama: Health care is a right, not a privilege at the General Forum; Originally Posted by CindyB I think many of us just don't trust the government enough TO help those that truly ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2013, 11:41 AM
Idealogically Promiscuous's Avatar
Do I Look Like a Bitch?
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Hollywood, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,087
Thanks: 4,153
Thanked 6,673 Times in 3,956 Posts
Default Re: Obama: Health care is a right, not a privilege

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyB View Post
I think many of us just don't trust the government enough TO help those that truly need help. Personally I think faith-based organizations do a much better job.

To much of our tax money goes down the rat hole and those who need help don't get it.

Below is off topic on the subject of health care but related nonetheless.

Also, back in the day, families used to help each other. Children took care of their parents as they grew old and infirm. The family unit seems to have fractured.
I agree with much of what you are saying. I don't think it necessarily has to be faith based organizations but nonprofits would probably be the way to go. And I don't mean huge beauracratic nonprofits...local soup kitchens, neighborhood clinics, subsidies to local doctors and hospitals, etc. I don't think we should have big government run hospitals and clinics but I do think the government should be supporting, through our taxes, an infrastructure of healthcare networks for the poor that give them the same treatment that you or I get from our "cadillac plans".

I also think that perhaps there should be stronger efforts to restrengthen the family. Not necessarily the traditional mom+dad+2.1 kids but family units that build safety nets for people in addition to what society does.
__________________
Say "what" one mo' goddamned time. I dare ya. I double dog dare ya.
Reply With Quote
  #82 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2013, 12:25 PM
rivrrat's Avatar
Queen of Awesomeness
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,833
Thanks: 3,272
Thanked 10,473 Times in 6,022 Posts
Default Re: Obama: Health care is a right, not a privilege

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idealogically Promiscuous View Post
Than to blame the poor for being poor.
Quote please


Quote:
Derp derp derp. Huked on fonix werked 4 u, huh? If you ****ing read what I wrote, you would see that I said "justification for your selfishness". Derp

You want me to sit here and diagram the sentence for you? Draw you a picture?
What selfishness? (which, btw, every single person on the planet operates out of selfishness, I'm just trying to figure out what it is you've made up to take issue with)


Quote:
N oesn't bother me coming from you. Because first of all, I have put no words in your mouth. I have simply returned your words to you stripped of any mealy mouthed excuses you give for your greed and selfishness. Your attempts to liken me to two of the most hated members of this forum are nothing more than your attempts to deflect and flail against being condemned with your own words.

So no, forgive me if I find your comparison to be of no consequence to me and certainly not remarkable enough to rethink my position.
I don't give a **** if you rethink your position or not. But yes, you certainly have put words in my mouth and attributed positions to me that have no basis in truth. Repeatedly. Seems to be your general mo lately. Build your strawman then tear it down to make yourself feel superior. Amusing to watch. Annoying, but amusing nonetheless to watch you devolve into histrionics and pettiness. Carry on.
__________________


Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.

Gypsy Soul Memories
Scuba Diver Life
My YouTube Channel
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rivrrat For This Useful Post:
  #83 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2013, 12:29 PM
Idealogically Promiscuous's Avatar
Do I Look Like a Bitch?
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Hollywood, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,087
Thanks: 4,153
Thanked 6,673 Times in 3,956 Posts
Default Re: Obama: Health care is a right, not a privilege

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
Quote please




What selfishness? (which, btw, every single person on the planet operates out of selfishness, I'm just trying to figure out what it is you've made up to take issue with)




I don't give a **** if you rethink your position or not. But yes, you certainly have put words in my mouth and attributed positions to me that have no basis in truth. Repeatedly. Seems to be your general mo lately. Build your strawman then tear it down to make yourself feel superior. Amusing to watch. Annoying, but amusing nonetheless to watch you devolve into histrionics and pettiness. Carry on.
I would answer but I am afraid I would get another teary eyed, menstrual private message in my inbox. Skydancer, indeed.
__________________
Say "what" one mo' goddamned time. I dare ya. I double dog dare ya.
Reply With Quote
  #84 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2013, 03:12 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,230
Thanks: 9,733
Thanked 3,728 Times in 2,442 Posts
Default Re: Obama: Health care is a right, not a privilege

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idealogically Promiscuous View Post
Spoken like one who has no contact with the impoverished.
Are you asserting, then, that it is chiefly "the impoverished" who are without healthcare insurance?

That there are just not many twentysomethings and thirtysomethings who are rather healthy, and would rather spend their money on their wants, in the hope that they will not soon need healthcare insurance?

Do you really believe that?
Reply With Quote
  #85 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2013, 08:53 PM
rivrrat's Avatar
Queen of Awesomeness
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,833
Thanks: 3,272
Thanked 10,473 Times in 6,022 Posts
Default Re: Obama: Health care is a right, not a privilege

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idealogically Promiscuous View Post
I would answer but I am afraid I would get another teary eyed, menstrual private message in my inbox. Skydancer, indeed.
And now you've reached a new height of making sh*t up. Later asswipe.
__________________


Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.

Gypsy Soul Memories
Scuba Diver Life
My YouTube Channel
Reply With Quote
  #86 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2013, 12:09 AM
Gordon Shumway's Avatar
guitarist
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,631
Thanks: 2,107
Thanked 3,200 Times in 1,908 Posts
Default Re: Obama: Health care is a right, not a privilege

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
Indeed. It addresses nothing at all but lining the insurance companies' pockets. Oh, and making the ****tards in washington feel good about themselves.
actually that's the short term scapegoat.
the reality is that they want it to fail in so much as the end result will be a mass exodus from private insurance to a government plan to save money. at least in the mid range term. the long term effect will a system struggling between trying to keep government spending on such a program down and denying access to the actual care. a defacto single payer system --- at least for the poor and middle class while the rich and politically connected will have the same care they've always had. the rest of us working stiffs will be far worse off.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gordon Shumway For This Useful Post:
  #87 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2013, 09:30 AM
rivrrat's Avatar
Queen of Awesomeness
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,833
Thanks: 3,272
Thanked 10,473 Times in 6,022 Posts
Default Re: Obama: Health care is a right, not a privilege

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
actually that's the short term scapegoat.
the reality is that they want it to fail in so much as the end result will be a mass exodus from private insurance to a government plan to save money. at least in the mid range term. the long term effect will a system struggling between trying to keep government spending on such a program down and denying access to the actual care. a defacto single payer system --- at least for the poor and middle class while the rich and politically connected will have the same care they've always had. the rest of us working stiffs will be far worse off.
I completely agree. I've no doubt that there are those would specifically designed a bill to fail miserably so they can then demand government take control of healthcare. And yup, the rich will still get FAR better treatment options and care. But the rest of us will be relegated to long waits and rationed treatments and medication. Maybe they'll build a few of those homes like they have in the UK where they just send people to be deliberately killed off slowly when they're deemed not worthy enough to do treatments on.

As Harry Browne once said, Government is good at one thing: It knows how to break your legs, hand you a crutch, and say, "See, if it weren't for the government, you wouldn't be able to walk."
__________________


Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.

Gypsy Soul Memories
Scuba Diver Life
My YouTube Channel
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rivrrat For This Useful Post:
  #88 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2013, 11:01 AM
Idealogically Promiscuous's Avatar
Do I Look Like a Bitch?
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Hollywood, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,087
Thanks: 4,153
Thanked 6,673 Times in 3,956 Posts
Default Re: Obama: Health care is a right, not a privilege

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
And now you've reached a new height of making sh*t up. Later asswipe.
Aww is someone trying to run me over with her menstrual cycle?
__________________
Say "what" one mo' goddamned time. I dare ya. I double dog dare ya.
Reply With Quote
  #89 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2013, 02:28 PM
Gordon Shumway's Avatar
guitarist
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,631
Thanks: 2,107
Thanked 3,200 Times in 1,908 Posts
Default Re: Obama: Health care is a right, not a privilege

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
I completely agree. I've no doubt that there are those would specifically designed a bill to fail miserably so they can then demand government take control of healthcare. And yup, the rich will still get FAR better treatment options and care. But the rest of us will be relegated to long waits and rationed treatments and medication. Maybe they'll build a few of those homes like they have in the UK where they just send people to be deliberately killed off slowly when they're deemed not worthy enough to do treatments on.

As Harry Browne once said, Government is good at one thing: It knows how to break your legs, hand you a crutch, and say, "See, if it weren't for the government, you wouldn't be able to walk."
i voted for harry browne in 2000
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
care, health, not, obama, privilege, right

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0