Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > News & Current Events
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News & Current Events Discuss Five dead, teen charged in Albuquerque shooting at the General Forum; Originally Posted by off the porch Knowledge is power...just because we haven't heard the stories of the 11,000 people killed ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2013, 05:37 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PNW
Gender: Male
Posts: 70,513
Thanks: 22,404
Thanked 18,919 Times in 13,934 Posts
Default Re: Five dead, teen charged in Albuquerque shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by off the porch View Post
Knowledge is power...just because we haven't heard the stories of the 11,000 people killed by guns in the past year doesn't mean they didn't happen. I'm glad for the reminder by the media that this is a problem that might be helped by legislation.
I just had this conversation with a friend. We do see the news reports but we have become desensitized to them because they are not really unusual anymore. We skim right over those stories and dwell on other things if there isn't something very unusual about the specific story. As I said ti my friend. You can have a story about a shooting where someone is killed and next to it a story of someone who beat a dog to death and I may be unusual but I get more fired up over the dog story.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mikeyy For This Useful Post:
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2013, 05:44 PM
catusfelidae's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,065
Thanks: 3,633
Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,243 Posts
Default Re: Five dead, teen charged in Albuquerque shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzMike View Post
LOL, well enjoy the fire while it lasts I suppose.


Naked pagan fire dancing. My kind of thing.

The plethora is because news outlets such as CNN have chosen their side of the argument and now will report every single story they can to promote that agenda.

Got any evidence of this, or is it just your mindset?

At any other time they wouldn't waste the effort putting together a story about anything happening in Albuquerque because basically they don't give a sh*t about that city or state unless it becomes useful, and this story became useful.
Well, let us face it. News channels are business's. Business's are in business to make money. Any business is going to push what sells. Things that sell are called 'hot'

I'm just questioning who, if anyone, turned up the heat.

__________________
Never annoy a cat. We like our meals hot and bleeding.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catusfelidae For This Useful Post:
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2013, 05:46 PM
Spencer Collins's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: East Of Eden
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,269
Thanks: 17,902
Thanked 11,803 Times in 7,710 Posts
Default Re: Five dead, teen charged in Albuquerque shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzMike View Post
More like trending in the national news, they have an agenda now. I'm going to bet this kid had problems in the past, was diagnosed with a mental illness and probably even spent a lot of time doped up trying to keep him calm. We won't hear much about that though, the purpose of the story isn't to show how we need better mental health programs it will be to go right after the guns.
I agree,normally this would be a tragic (local) story that may or may not have made the national news a year ago. After Sandy Hook and Aurora,this type of story has made the national news on at least CNN and Fox outlets,maybe more,I didn't check all of the major outlets. I also agree that the perp likely had some form of mental illness. Still..it's likely that news entities have more than just one agenda,they also have stories to sell and since this subject has been the focus of widespread discussion across America they decided to go national with it. I would welcome more news focused on better mental health programs to combat these acts of violence and ways to monitor compliance when the conditions of being released stipulated the use of medication! This is still a developing story,we do not know all of the details at this point in time.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2013, 05:47 PM
catusfelidae's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,065
Thanks: 3,633
Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,243 Posts
Default Re: Five dead, teen charged in Albuquerque shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyy View Post
I just had this conversation with a friend. We do see the news reports but we have become desensitized to them because they are not really unusual anymore. We skim right over those stories and dwell on other things if there isn't something very unusual about the specific story. As I said ti my friend. You can have a story about a shooting where someone is killed and next to it a story of someone who beat a dog to death and I may be unusual but I get more fired up over the dog story.
Therein squats the toad.

Are these stories inundating the news to get us riled up, or to enable us to become numb to them?


Or have I just spent too much time hanging out with spooks?
__________________
Never annoy a cat. We like our meals hot and bleeding.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to catusfelidae For This Useful Post:
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2013, 06:00 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Arizona
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,071
Thanks: 1,599
Thanked 3,068 Times in 2,073 Posts
Default Re: Five dead, teen charged in Albuquerque shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by catusfelidae View Post
Well, let us face it. News channels are business's. Business's are in business to make money. Any business is going to push what sells. Things that sell are called 'hot'

I'm just questioning who, if anyone, turned up the heat.

Naked pagan dancing could be interesting, depending who is naked.

I just see these stories going national more, they used to be a blip on the local news but now the big broadcasters pick it up and run.

I agree it's there because it's "hot" but I believe it's only "hot" because it fits the story line these news people want. They see the story, they are all about guns being regulated and this story fits their agenda of the day, so they run with it. The lady shooting the intruder stories don't make the cut, they don't want those ones.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2013, 06:07 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Arizona
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,071
Thanks: 1,599
Thanked 3,068 Times in 2,073 Posts
Default Re: Five dead, teen charged in Albuquerque shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer Collins View Post
I agree,normally this would be a tragic (local) story that may or may not have made the national news a year ago. After Sandy Hook and Aurora,this type of story has made the national news on at least CNN and Fox outlets,maybe more,I didn't check all of the major outlets. I also agree that the perp likely had some form of mental illness. Still..it's likely that news entities have more than just one agenda,they also have stories to sell and since this subject has been the focus of widespread discussion across America they decided to go national with it. I would welcome more news focused on better mental health programs to combat these acts of violence and ways to monitor compliance when the conditions of being released stipulated the use of medication! This is still a developing story,we do not know all of the details at this point in time.
That's kind of what bothers me about the news. Once their major push dies out (guns are bad) we don't ever get the full story.

If the push was truly mental health and what we can do to keep them away from guns we would hear more detail about what the Sandy Hook shooter, and Aurora shooters mental problems were and the drugs or treatments they were receiving at the time. But we only got as far as they had mental problems. Then the story shifted to how to keep the parents of the mentally ill from having guns. And of course how we can extend those limits to every citizen in the country. The cause or treatment of the ill was dropped in favor of gun control. Which is actually the goal. They don't give a sh*t about the mentally ill or what is going on there it just adds an angle to the story that we need gun control. It's like a secondary benefit instead of where the focus really should be.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AzMike For This Useful Post:
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2013, 06:07 PM
catusfelidae's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,065
Thanks: 3,633
Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,243 Posts
Default Re: Five dead, teen charged in Albuquerque shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzMike View Post
Naked pagan dancing could be interesting, depending who is naked.

I just see these stories going national more, they used to be a blip on the local news but now the big broadcasters pick it up and run.

I agree it's there because it's "hot" but I believe it's only "hot" because it fits the story line these news people want. They see the story, they are all about guns being regulated and this story fits their agenda of the day, so they run with it. The lady shooting the intruder stories don't make the cut, they don't want those ones.
Agreed. But, as I asked on some link before....are we supposed to become outraged, or numb?

IF strings are being pulled, just who is pulling them?
__________________
Never annoy a cat. We like our meals hot and bleeding.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to catusfelidae For This Useful Post:
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2013, 06:09 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PNW
Gender: Male
Posts: 70,513
Thanks: 22,404
Thanked 18,919 Times in 13,934 Posts
Default Re: Five dead, teen charged in Albuquerque shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by catusfelidae View Post
Agreed. But, as I asked on some link before....are we supposed to become outraged, or numb?

IF strings are being pulled, just who is pulling them?
Too much conspiracy for me. But like I said Mass killings are trending and so there it is.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2013, 06:11 PM
catusfelidae's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,065
Thanks: 3,633
Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,243 Posts
Default Re: Five dead, teen charged in Albuquerque shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyy View Post
Too much conspiracy for me. But like I said Mass killings are trending and so there it is.
Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.



__________________
Never annoy a cat. We like our meals hot and bleeding.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to catusfelidae For This Useful Post:
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2013, 06:12 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PNW
Gender: Male
Posts: 70,513
Thanks: 22,404
Thanked 18,919 Times in 13,934 Posts
Default Re: Five dead, teen charged in Albuquerque shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by catusfelidae View Post
Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.



Who would they be?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
15yearold, albuquerque, arrest, charged, dead, five, horrific, investigators, leaves, mexico, new, shooting, teen

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0