Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > News & Current Events
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News & Current Events Discuss 10-Year-Old North Carolina Girl Hangs Herself After Allegedly Being Bullied at School at the General Forum; Originally Posted by Oftencold The you favor teaching little girls to trounce bullies, hard and long? Because if you don't, ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41 (permalink)  
Old 11-19-2011, 05:51 AM
1069's Avatar
Bookworm.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,073
Thanks: 4,721
Thanked 4,834 Times in 2,602 Posts
Default Re: 10-Year-Old North Carolina Girl Hangs Herself After Allegedly Being Bullied at Sc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oftencold View Post
The you favor teaching little girls to trounce bullies, hard and long?

Because if you don't, you will get many more suicides to cluck over, while silly people who imagine Humans to be something other than what they are, go on futilely calling for non-violence in a fiercely violent world.
I don't think you comprehend girl-bullying at all.
Perhaps you have no daughters.
Girl-bullying is largely psychological and social, rather than physical, and often more devastating for that (this child, for instance, was mocked for her clothes and shoes: in other words, her appearance and social status).
Responding violently will not help, will result in punishment of the bullying victim, and will likely only escalate the mental and emotional abuse (because the bullies can see that they've "gotten to her"). There is little status involved, for a female child, in being able to "beat up" other little girls. The other girls will continue to shun and harass her for her appearance, her poverty, her unstylishness, her inability to fit in.
Girl children in developed nations do not, in general, inhabit a "fiercely violent world"... nothing that simple and straightforward; but they nevertheless often inhabit an insufferably cruel one, where the weapons they need to survive are a strong sense of self-esteem and a razor-sharp wit. Nothing else- including a willingness to beat up their enemies- will help them navigate the potential horrors of the school hallway. And remember, this girl was still in grade school. Middle school and high school still lay ahead.

Last edited by 1069; 11-19-2011 at 06:01 AM..
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1069 For This Useful Post:
  #42 (permalink)  
Old 11-19-2011, 06:35 AM
1069's Avatar
Bookworm.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,073
Thanks: 4,721
Thanked 4,834 Times in 2,602 Posts
Default Re: 10-Year-Old North Carolina Girl Hangs Herself After Allegedly Being Bullied at Sc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
I don't think you comprehend girl-bullying at all.
Perhaps you have no daughters.
Girl-bullying is largely psychological and social, rather than physical, and often more devastating for that (this child, for instance, was mocked for her clothes and shoes: in other words, her appearance and social status).
Responding violently will not help, will result in punishment of the bullying victim, and will likely only escalate the mental and emotional abuse (because the bullies can see that they've "gotten to her"). There is little status involved, for a female child, in being able to "beat up" other little girls. The other girls will continue to shun and harass her for her appearance, her poverty, her unstylishness, her inability to fit in.
Girl children in developed nations do not, in general, inhabit a "fiercely violent world"... nothing that simple and straightforward; but they nevertheless often inhabit an insufferably cruel one, where the weapons they need to survive are a strong sense of self-esteem and a razor-sharp wit. Nothing else- including a willingness to beat up their enemies- will help them navigate the potential horrors of the school hallway. And remember, this girl was still in grade school. Middle school and high school still lay ahead.

To add to this, remember Phoebe Prince, the bullied high school girl who committed suicide last year; she was much older than this child, and presumably had far more resources to draw upon (a 15 or 16 year old should be able to escape an intolerable situation far easier than a ten-year-old; in fact, Ms. Prince was legally old enough to drop out of school altogether).
Like most girl-bullying in high school, her tormentors invoked her outsider status (in Prince's case, the fact that she was a recent Irish immigrant and spoke with an accent), and the bullying took on a sexual undertone as well- Prince was not merely an Irish misfit, but a "slut" and an "Irish whore".

Would it have helped one iota if she'd leaped upon these girls (and a few boys) and punched them in the nose?
Would that have convinced them (or her) that she wasn't a slut, that she wasn't a misfit, that she wasn't weird?
No, it would've only made her seem more aberrant.
Popular girls, while they may or may not participate in athletics, are typically small and dainty and delicate.... and above all, self-contained. This is still the ideal for females in our society. Popular girls are not typically large, tough, strong, burly, and prone to leaping upon their enemies and pounding them into the ground. That is not how it works for girls. That will not get a girl anywhere, particularly out of an abusive social situation. It will only make things worse for her. It will only make her seem weirder, more of an outcast, more of a target. Once they see they have the power to provoke her into physically losing her cool (whether that means crying or physically attacking), her tormentors will attempt to provoke her into doing it again and again.

It is worth noting that the bullying Phoebe Prince endured never turned remotely violent until the very last day of her life, when fellow students hurled a partially full soda can at her- along with the usual insults- from the window of a moving car as she walked home.
When she arrived home, she hung herself.

Many of the other female bullying suicides that have made the news lately have involved sexting- girls sending explicit cell phone photos of themselves to boyfriends, who later break up with them and disperse these images among the entire student body.
What good would it possibly do these girls to run around beating people up?
Would that make people like and respect them again, stop considering them sluts and misfits?

You just don't get it. Girls aren't boys. They aren't afraid of being beaten up, and they don't dream of being able to physically dominate their tormentors. It wouldn't solve the basic problem which drives them to suicide.

Last edited by 1069; 11-19-2011 at 06:42 AM..
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1069 For This Useful Post:
  #43 (permalink)  
Old 11-19-2011, 04:58 PM
rivrrat's Avatar
Queen of Awesomeness
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,833
Thanks: 3,272
Thanked 10,473 Times in 6,022 Posts
Default Re: 10-Year-Old North Carolina Girl Hangs Herself After Allegedly Being Bullied at Sc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oftencold View Post
I don't, but my dog is badly trained.


I have seen very successful dog handlers thoroughly beat a dog to prevent a single recurrence of very bad behavior, threatening a child for instance. The alternative, was to shoot the dog, which people here will do with little provocation.
Then those dog handlers sucked donkey balls.
__________________


Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.

Gypsy Soul Memories
Scuba Diver Life
My YouTube Channel
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rivrrat For This Useful Post:
  #44 (permalink)  
Old 11-21-2011, 12:25 AM
Oftencold's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,936
Thanks: 11,660
Thanked 9,718 Times in 6,203 Posts
Default Re: 10-Year-Old North Carolina Girl Hangs Herself After Allegedly Being Bullied at Sc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
Then those dog handlers sucked donkey balls.
I can't judge them. My dogs have all been poorly trained and gently handled, while I have seen a lot of roughly handled dogs that were well trained.

People though, are often harder to train than dogs, A dog will always act like a dog, while a human can act like a dog, cat, vulture, monkey, or ass. Oddly too, the same human can fill all these rolls at one time or another.
__________________
“Quod scripsi, scripsi"

╠═════════════════════════════════════╣

“Serpent's breath, charm of death and life, thy omen of making!”
Or if you're a traditionalist,
“Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha!”
And children, say it like you mean it!

╠═════════════════════════════════════╣
Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)  
Old 11-21-2011, 10:45 AM
highway80west's Avatar
Highway80west
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,389
Thanks: 984
Thanked 261 Times in 207 Posts
Default Re: 10-Year-Old North Carolina Girl Hangs Herself After Allegedly Being Bullied at Sc

I wonder how the bullies who mentally tortured her feel? They don't care, or if they feel guilty about their actions?
Reply With Quote
  #46 (permalink)  
Old 11-21-2011, 11:04 AM
Manitou's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,334
Thanks: 729
Thanked 7,100 Times in 5,077 Posts
Default Re: 10-Year-Old North Carolina Girl Hangs Herself After Allegedly Being Bullied at Sc

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway80west View Post
I wonder how the bullies who mentally tortured her feel? They don't care, or if they feel guilty about their actions?
I would say they are giggling their worthless butts off.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manitou For This Useful Post:
  #47 (permalink)  
Old 11-21-2011, 11:16 AM
highway80west's Avatar
Highway80west
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,389
Thanks: 984
Thanked 261 Times in 207 Posts
Default Re: 10-Year-Old North Carolina Girl Hangs Herself After Allegedly Being Bullied at Sc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitou View Post
I would say they are giggling their worthless butts off.
Either that or they are going to be haunted by their actions for a long time.

I had that feeling that when I was bullied in school, how would my classmates have felt if I chose the same road as the 10-year-old girl did? Would the classmates have cheered? That was in the 5th grade at a new school. I got transferred there because the special education program was switched to the new school. I missed the old school I was at because I knew the pupils there and they treated me so well.

Last edited by highway80west; 11-21-2011 at 11:28 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)  
Old 11-21-2011, 04:10 PM
1069's Avatar
Bookworm.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,073
Thanks: 4,721
Thanked 4,834 Times in 2,602 Posts
Default Re: 10-Year-Old North Carolina Girl Hangs Herself After Allegedly Being Bullied at Sc

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway80west View Post
I wonder how the bullies who mentally tortured her feel? They don't care, or if they feel guilty about their actions?
Well, the bullies who tormented Phoebe Prince to death last year defaced the memorial page her family set up for her on Facebook after she was dead, congratulating one another on finally getting rid of "the whore".
I believe that had a lot to do with the DA's decision to press charges against them: their congratulatory Facebook posts not only highlighted exactly which students were involved, but also served almost as a confession: they wanted her to die, they meant to drive her to suicide... and it was premeditated.

I think in a lot of cases, these kids really just don't care. They long ago convinced themselves that their victims aren't human beings.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1069 For This Useful Post:
  #49 (permalink)  
Old 11-21-2011, 04:29 PM
highway80west's Avatar
Highway80west
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,389
Thanks: 984
Thanked 261 Times in 207 Posts
Default Re: 10-Year-Old North Carolina Girl Hangs Herself After Allegedly Being Bullied at Sc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
Well, the bullies who tormented Phoebe Prince to death last year defaced the memorial page her family set up for her on Facebook after she was dead, congratulating one another on finally getting rid of "the whore".
I believe that had a lot to do with the DA's decision to press charges against them: their congratulatory Facebook posts not only highlighted exactly which students were involved, but also served almost as a confession: they wanted her to die, they meant to drive her to suicide... and it was premeditated.

I think in a lot of cases, these kids really just don't care. They long ago convinced themselves that their victims aren't human beings.
Well, was the DA successful in prosecuting those bullies? I would think that a savvy defense attorney would get them off the hook, saying that all they are saying is "hearsay".
Reply With Quote
  #50 (permalink)  
Old 11-21-2011, 04:47 PM
1069's Avatar
Bookworm.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,073
Thanks: 4,721
Thanked 4,834 Times in 2,602 Posts
Default Re: 10-Year-Old North Carolina Girl Hangs Herself After Allegedly Being Bullied at Sc

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway80west View Post
Well, was the DA successful in prosecuting those bullies? I would think that a savvy defense attorney would get them off the hook, saying that all they are saying is "hearsay".
The defendants- six in all, including two boys charged with statutory rape and four girls charged with violation of civil rights, criminal harassment, disturbance of a school assembly, and stalking- ultimately plead guilty to reduced charges.
All of them were placed on probation, and sentenced to community service.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1069 For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
10yearold, after, allegedly, being, bullied, carolina, case, death, detectives, girl, hangs, herself, homicide, investigation, natalie, north, reopen, school, wood

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0