Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > News & Current Events
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News & Current Events Discuss American Jobs Act at the General Forum; Missed the speech last night, but am listening to it right now and am going to write down the highlights. ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-09-2011, 10:27 AM
sunwestdog's Avatar
Ridin' the short bus
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mizzou
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,715
Thanks: 638
Thanked 1,352 Times in 914 Posts
Default American Jobs Act

Missed the speech last night, but am listening to it right now and am going to write down the highlights.

Cut small business taxes.
Tax credits for businesses owners who hire those unemployed for more than 6 months or hires veterans.
Middle class tax cut of $1500.
Spending for infrastructure will be totally paid for.
Increase spending cuts above what was just passed.
No part of the plan will add to deficit.
Reform medicare.
Close loopholes for corporations and lower corporate tax rate.
Raise taxes on wealthiest Americans.
Businesses with gov. contracts will get paid faster.
Cut red tape for businesses trying to raise capital.
Help mortgage owners refinance loans at current lower rates.
Speed up patent process.
Modify trade agreements to get more American products into foreign countries.
Training more engineers to bring innovative productions back to America.
Cut as many regulations as possible (500 found so far) Get rid of all regulations that don't threaten the health, safety and security of Americans.
Every proposal will be paid for and has had the support of democrats and republicans.

I thought it was a great speech with great ideas. I'm curious as to what others thought. Can you find anything wrong with the plan?

Here's the speech if you missed it.

Obama's speech: American Jobs Act | Video Library | Detroit Free Press
__________________
As I grow older, I grow wiser. The wiser I become, the more I understand how little I know. sunwestdog
Life isn't fair. But people should be. sunwestdog
I reject your reality and substitute my own. Adam Savage
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Spencer Collins's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: East Of Eden
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,311
Thanks: 18,005
Thanked 11,843 Times in 7,741 Posts
Default Re: American Jobs Act

I thought it was a very good speech,in fact,one of the best I've heard him give! However...the devil is in the details but overall,I liked what I heard.

I posted the text version of the speech below.

Political Wrinkles - View Single Post - Obama jobs speech transcript
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spencer Collins For This Useful Post:
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-09-2011, 10:55 AM
rivrrat's Avatar
Queen of Awesomeness
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,833
Thanks: 3,272
Thanked 10,473 Times in 6,022 Posts
Default Re: American Jobs Act

I completely agree with the deregulation and any lowering of taxes. I do not agree with any raising of taxes.

As for the "this is all paid for" and "this won't increase the deficit"... well, I'll believe it when I see it.
__________________


Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.

Gypsy Soul Memories
Scuba Diver Life
My YouTube Channel
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rivrrat For This Useful Post:
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-09-2011, 11:28 AM
sunwestdog's Avatar
Ridin' the short bus
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mizzou
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,715
Thanks: 638
Thanked 1,352 Times in 914 Posts
Default Re: American Jobs Act

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
I completely agree with the deregulation and any lowering of taxes. I do not agree with any raising of taxes.

As for the "this is all paid for" and "this won't increase the deficit"... well, I'll believe it when I see it.
Like Obama said, it's just math. This isn't an attack on the wealthy, but to make things work and get our fiscal plan in order, those that can afford it will have to kick in more.
__________________
As I grow older, I grow wiser. The wiser I become, the more I understand how little I know. sunwestdog
Life isn't fair. But people should be. sunwestdog
I reject your reality and substitute my own. Adam Savage
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Infidel Dog's Avatar
The New Cool
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,690
Thanks: 744
Thanked 2,109 Times in 1,477 Posts
Default Re: American Jobs Act

He sounded pretty good, but he sounded pretty good that time he was claiming he could stop the rise of the oceans too.

How much truth is there in this.

When he talks about everything being paid for, does he mean that in the same way he meant Obamacare would not cost extra? I'd want to see his Whitehouse math before I got all knocking on doors with a copy of WatchTower crazy about this.

When he talks about infrastructure, is he talking about stuff like tunnels for turtles?

Did he slip in talk about fast trains there, again? I thought maybe he did.

When he's talking about improving education, is he talking about more quick fix extensions for public sector unions in general?

When he's talking about deregulation, is he talking about deregulating the energy sector, because that's where you'd start if you actually wanted more jobs.

Michael Savage calls this guy Pinnoch Obama.

They say there are people who bought into those Nigerian email scams 2 or 3 times. You'd wonder who could be that dumb. This jobs scheme may answer that question.

One encouraging thing. He wasn't talking about "the middle class". That's code for unions. He may just have learned not to be too obvious though.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Infidel Dog For This Useful Post:
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-09-2011, 01:41 PM
sunwestdog's Avatar
Ridin' the short bus
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mizzou
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,715
Thanks: 638
Thanked 1,352 Times in 914 Posts
Default Re: American Jobs Act

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel Dog View Post
He sounded pretty good, but he sounded pretty good that time he was claiming he could stop the rise of the oceans too.

How much truth is there in this.

When he talks about everything being paid for, does he mean that in the same way he meant Obamacare would not cost extra? I'd want to see his Whitehouse math before I got all knocking on doors with a copy of WatchTower crazy about this.

When he talks about infrastructure, is he talking about stuff like tunnels for turtles?

Did he slip in talk about fast trains there, again? I thought maybe he did.

When he's talking about improving education, is he talking about more quick fix extensions for public sector unions in general?

When he's talking about deregulation, is he talking about deregulating the energy sector, because that's where you'd start if you actually wanted more jobs.

Michael Savage calls this guy Pinnoch Obama.

They say there are people who bought into those Nigerian email scams 2 or 3 times. You'd wonder who could be that dumb. This jobs scheme may answer that question.

One encouraging thing. He wasn't talking about "the middle class". That's code for unions. He may just have learned not to be too obvious though.
We'll see soon enough. The bill will be introduced to congress next week and we'll get a chance to take a look at it. I hope what he said is accurate and that it's passed quickly by the congress. He's taken away every excuse for businesses not to hire and the economy not to grow. It's a masterful plan. Now it just needs to be put into action.
__________________
As I grow older, I grow wiser. The wiser I become, the more I understand how little I know. sunwestdog
Life isn't fair. But people should be. sunwestdog
I reject your reality and substitute my own. Adam Savage
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Infidel Dog's Avatar
The New Cool
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,690
Thanks: 744
Thanked 2,109 Times in 1,477 Posts
Default Re: American Jobs Act

Well, he didn't mention "Green Jobs". That might be encouraging, but because it's not in the speech doesn't mean it's not in the bill. Solyndra II might be sitting there.

Before the speech they were saying Richard Trumka was going to be sitting next to Michelle. I didn't see him. Must have been sitting off far to the side, if he was there. It's interesting that they avoided that little piece of theater.

I'll believe everything is going to be on paper next week when I see it. Why not wait until next week to make the speech with the bill, I wonder.

Last edited by Infidel Dog; 09-09-2011 at 02:16 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PNW
Gender: Male
Posts: 70,513
Thanks: 22,404
Thanked 18,923 Times in 13,938 Posts
Default Re: American Jobs Act

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel Dog View Post
Well, he didn't mention "Green Jobs". That might be encouraging, but because it's not in the speech doesn't mean it's not in the bill. Solyndra II might be sitting there.

Before the speech they were saying Richard Trumka was going to be sitting next to Michelle. I didn't see him. Must have been sitting off far to the side, if he was there. It's interesting that they avoided that little piece of theater.

I'll believe everything is going to be on paper next week when I see it. Why not wait until next week to make the speech with the bill, I wonder.
Mentioning that Michael Savage has a view isn't helpful.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09-09-2011, 04:00 PM
sunwestdog's Avatar
Ridin' the short bus
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mizzou
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,715
Thanks: 638
Thanked 1,352 Times in 914 Posts
Default Re: American Jobs Act

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel Dog View Post
Well, he didn't mention "Green Jobs". That might be encouraging, but because it's not in the speech doesn't mean it's not in the bill. Solyndra II might be sitting there.

Before the speech they were saying Richard Trumka was going to be sitting next to Michelle. I didn't see him. Must have been sitting off far to the side, if he was there. It's interesting that they avoided that little piece of theater.

I'll believe everything is going to be on paper next week when I see it. Why not wait until next week to make the speech with the bill, I wonder.
If I may think like Obama for a moment, the green jobs thing didn't work out so well in putting America back to work. It's still a good idea, but what we need are jobs today. Keep the green dream alive, it will be useful in the future and will support many jobs. But right now, we need to build roads, bridges and schools and do things that stimulate today, not in the future. A lesson learned, now let's take a different course.
__________________
As I grow older, I grow wiser. The wiser I become, the more I understand how little I know. sunwestdog
Life isn't fair. But people should be. sunwestdog
I reject your reality and substitute my own. Adam Savage
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sunwestdog For This Useful Post:
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 09-10-2011, 01:39 PM
Bodo's Avatar
I am the 53%
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Smokies
Posts: 2,716
Thanks: 715
Thanked 1,179 Times in 771 Posts
Default Re: American Jobs Act

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunwestdog View Post
A lesson learned, now let's take a different course.
A pretty expensive lesson. How can we afford another experiment?
__________________
"The ultimate decision about what is accepted as right and wrong will be made not by individual human wisdom but by the disappearance of the groups that have adhered to the "wrong" beliefs."
-- F.A. Hayek
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
act, american, jobs

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0