Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > Political Forums > The Media
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Media Discuss Chris Hayes: Electoral College ‘Would Be Unconstitutional’ If It ‘Wasn’t Specifically at the Political Forums; Originally Posted by WallyWager I think his point was that if we did start out by choosing a president based ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 09-03-2019, 10:50 AM
FrancSevin's Avatar
Runs with scissors
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: St Louis MO
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,932
Thanks: 9,107
Thanked 12,563 Times in 6,921 Posts
Default Re: Chris Hayes: Electoral College ‘Would Be Unconstitutional’ If It ‘Wasn’t Specific

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWager View Post
I think his point was that if we did start out by choosing a president based on a national popular vote, had the electoral college never been conceived and written into the constitution and we tried to implement such today, that it would be ruled unconstitutional by the courts. We would go from an equal vote for every citizen in an presidential election, to a person in a more populous state having less voting power than someone in Idaho due to how electoral votes are distributed under our current system. It's really not that stupid.
IF, the electoral college was not part of the Constitution our nation would not be here today. It is the reason we are still a Constitutional Democratic Republic.

And it's ability to "equalize" the power of the States is why the Socialists want it gone. Without it, Los Angeles county would be electing our presidents.

It is not the "majority" of the people that elect our Presidents, but the majority of the confederated states. Madison was a genius.
__________________
I am going to hang a Batman Costume in my closet. .......... Just to screw with myself when I get alzheimer's.
sola gratia, sola fide, sola scriptura.

I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN, I AM A FREEMAN, THE DEMOCRATS WORST NIGHTMARE
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FrancSevin For This Useful Post:
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 09-03-2019, 02:19 PM
Gordon Shumway's Avatar
guitarist
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,936
Thanks: 2,224
Thanked 3,534 Times in 2,081 Posts
Default Re: Chris Hayes: Electoral College ‘Would Be Unconstitutional’ If It ‘Wasn’t Specific

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancSevin View Post
IF, the electoral college was not part of the Constitution our nation would not be here today. It is the reason we are still a Constitutional Democratic Republic.

And it's ability to "equalize" the power of the States is why the Socialists want it gone. Without it, Los Angeles county would be electing our presidents.

It is not the "majority" of the people that elect our Presidents, but the majority of the confederated states. Madison was a genius.
oh no. you used the word CONFEDERATEd - run, run, run for your life.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gordon Shumway For This Useful Post:
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 09-03-2019, 11:25 PM
cnredd's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Gender: Male
Posts: 54,953
Thanks: 2,211
Thanked 35,107 Times in 20,172 Posts
Default Re: Chris Hayes: Electoral College ‘Would Be Unconstitutional’ If It ‘Wasn’t Specific

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWager View Post
I think his point was that if we did start out by choosing a president based on a national popular vote, had the electoral college never been conceived and written into the constitution and we tried to implement such today, that it would be ruled unconstitutional by the courts.
But his "point" is a lie...

Look at how he starts his rhetoric (From the OP)…

Quote:
“But I think there is actually a deeper philosophical thing happening, which is the question of what exactly American democracy is for,” Hayes said. “And the weirdest thing about the Electoral College is the fact that if it wasn’t specifically in the Constitution for the presidency, it would be unconstitutional.”
There is no "American democracy"...

It's a "Democratic Republic"...

That means that mob rule is NOT the "across the board" method of all elections...

The Founders specifically added the Electoral College so the president will be voted on by the STATES and not by individuals…
__________________
"You get the respect that you give" - cnredd
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cnredd For This Useful Post:
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 09-04-2019, 08:04 AM
WallyWager's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Michigan
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,893
Thanks: 1,576
Thanked 9,039 Times in 5,781 Posts
Default Re: Chris Hayes: Electoral College ‘Would Be Unconstitutional’ If It ‘Wasn’t Specific

Quote:
Originally Posted by loboloco View Post
Actually, since the presidency was never designed to be decided by popular vote it is that stupid. The founders well knew the stupidity of allowing unfettered democracy. History is pretty solid on the fact it never works for long. That is why, initially, the Senate was selected by each state legislature and not by popular vote. If we had the brains of a dead cockroach, we would go back to that system.
We would go back to that system if we had the brains of a dead cockroach, thankfully we don't and and won't.

With the problem of partisan gerrymandering we have in this country, from either party depending on which state we're looking at, having state legislatures choose their respective US senators would be a monumentally bad idea.
__________________
"I've known Jeff for 15 years. Terrific guy. He's a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side." - Donald Trump, on pedophile Jeff Epstein.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 09-04-2019, 08:59 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,634
Thanks: 6,805
Thanked 4,580 Times in 2,610 Posts
Default Re: Chris Hayes: Electoral College ‘Would Be Unconstitutional’ If It ‘Wasn’t Specific

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWager View Post
We would go back to that system if we had the brains of a dead cockroach, thankfully we don't and and won't.

With the problem of partisan gerrymandering we have in this country, from either party depending on which state we're looking at, having state legislatures choose their respective US senators would be a monumentally bad idea.
And you couldn't be more wrong.

The House was designed to be the People's voice in the Federal government. That is why representatives are elected by a majority of the vote in their district.

The Senate was to be the State's voice in our government. Senators were supposed to represent their state's interests in the congress. But by passing the 17th Amendment, it evolved into a office where the holder looks to keep his/her seat by buying votes by passing bills with huge government giveaways. Along with that, they are beholden to the political parties for committee assignments and campaign dollars to get themselves re-elected to office.

If we were to repeal the 17th amendment, the Senate would be the deliberative body that was envisioned by the founders by reclaiming and retaining the power of the Senate from the Executive branch and using that to effectively weaken the Federal Government, putting the States back to the prominence they were given at the founding.

The founders warned us of an all powerful federal government and the passage of the 17th amendment made it possible by eliminating the state's voice in that government.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GetAClue For This Useful Post:
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 09-04-2019, 05:16 PM
Scholar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,693
Thanks: 351
Thanked 1,983 Times in 1,194 Posts
Default Re: Chris Hayes: Electoral College ‘Would Be Unconstitutional’ If It ‘Wasn’t Specific

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWager View Post
We would go back to that system if we had the brains of a dead cockroach, thankfully we don't and and won't.

With the problem of partisan gerrymandering we have in this country, from either party depending on which state we're looking at, having state legislatures choose their respective US senators would be a monumentally bad idea.
Thus proving my point. The change was claimed to reduce government corruption. It failed in this totally because the actual reason was to increase the power of the federal government. A return to the original design would also reduce the power of the federal government over the states.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 09-04-2019, 11:37 PM
FrancSevin's Avatar
Runs with scissors
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: St Louis MO
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,932
Thanks: 9,107
Thanked 12,563 Times in 6,921 Posts
Default Re: Chris Hayes: Electoral College ‘Would Be Unconstitutional’ If It ‘Wasn’t Specific

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
And you couldn't be more wrong.

The House was designed to be the People's voice in the Federal government. That is why representatives are elected by a majority of the vote in their district.

The Senate was to be the State's voice in our government. Senators were supposed to represent their state's interests in the congress. But by passing the 17th Amendment, it evolved into a office where the holder looks to keep his/her seat by buying votes by passing bills with huge government giveaways. Along with that, they are beholden to the political parties for committee assignments and campaign dollars to get themselves re-elected to office.

If we were to repeal the 17th amendment, the Senate would be the deliberative body that was envisioned by the founders by reclaiming and retaining the power of the Senate from the Executive branch and using that to effectively weaken the Federal Government, putting the States back to the prominence they were given at the founding.

The founders warned us of an all powerful federal government and the passage of the 17th amendment made it possible by eliminating the state's voice in that government.
Well written sir!!!
__________________
I am going to hang a Batman Costume in my closet. .......... Just to screw with myself when I get alzheimer's.
sola gratia, sola fide, sola scriptura.

I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN, I AM A FREEMAN, THE DEMOCRATS WORST NIGHTMARE
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FrancSevin For This Useful Post:
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 09-04-2019, 11:37 PM
FrancSevin's Avatar
Runs with scissors
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: St Louis MO
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,932
Thanks: 9,107
Thanked 12,563 Times in 6,921 Posts
Default Re: Chris Hayes: Electoral College ‘Would Be Unconstitutional’ If It ‘Wasn’t Specific

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
oh no. you used the word CONFEDERATEd - run, run, run for your life.
Nope. My feet are planted.
__________________
I am going to hang a Batman Costume in my closet. .......... Just to screw with myself when I get alzheimer's.
sola gratia, sola fide, sola scriptura.

I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN, I AM A FREEMAN, THE DEMOCRATS WORST NIGHTMARE
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chris, college, electoral, hayes, specifically, unconstitutional’, ‘wasn’t, ‘would

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0