Political Wrinkles

Political Wrinkles (http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/)
-   The Media (http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/media/)
-   -   Ridiculous Fox News Claim of the Day: Reason Caused the Holocaust (http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/media/32674-ridiculous-fox-news-claim-day-reason-caused-holocaust.html)

Hairy Jello 05-09-2013 01:40 PM

Re: Ridiculous Fox News Claim of the Day: Reason Caused the Holocaust
 
There is a positive of this article. It shows a lot of people don't read 'em and just go by the title. Someone saw the title, thought Fox said that reason led to the Holocaust, and thought it would be great to post it and make them look bad. Problem is, as we pointed out already, the article title is false and not only did Fox not say the quote but the person that did say it wasn't even quoted right.

Piss poor journalism + going just by the article title = this thread.

foundit66 05-09-2013 01:51 PM

Re: Ridiculous Fox News Claim of the Day: Reason Caused the Holocaust
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hairy Jello (Post 556567)
There is a positive of this article. It shows a lot of people don't read 'em and just go by the title. Someone saw the title, thought Fox said that reason led to the Holocaust, and thought it would be great to post it and make them look bad.

This has already been explained, repeatedly, that this did not happen here. :rolls
I both read the article and watched the video before posting. The fact that you continue to claim otherwise after I corrected you would be more accurately recognized as a lie than the title.

Perhaps your responses are showing a positive in that some people don't read what other people write, and just spew out whatever's convenient... :shrug

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hairy Jello (Post 556567)
Problem is, as we pointed out already, the article title is false and not only did Fox not say the quote but the person that did say it wasn't even quoted right.

As already explained, the article title DOES NOT SAY Fox "said" the quote. :no

As I asked earlier, if we had a thread for "Political Wrinkles Claim of the Day", would you automatically assume that "Political Wrinkles" had to say the comment, otherwise it would be a "lie"?
Or could you rationally put together that such a phrase would be indicative of a claim MADE ON Political Wrinkles?
:shrug

Rational English comprehension would recognize the latter as what is the case. :yes


On another level, it is profoundly boring how many people get caught up as to whether Fox News itself uttered the claim, while completely bypassing other issues like how completely asinine the claim was in the first place. :rolls

Mikeyy 05-09-2013 03:17 PM

Re: Ridiculous Fox News Claim of the Day: Reason Caused the Holocaust
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AZRWinger (Post 556223)
An amazing bit of gymnastics to come up with an attack on FNC. So-called reason with no moral context "relativism" certainly provided fertile ground for the holocaust. The theory of evolution provides an explanation of life without God. In turn Eugenics gives a justification for racial purity by force. These theories divorced from religious morality provided the theoretical justification for the holocaust.

Why do you suppose the signage behind Douchy said "Fight for Faith"? Did Fox decide having a day of reason was an attack on faith?

40yearfan 05-09-2013 07:48 PM

Re: Ridiculous Fox News Claim of the Day: Reason Caused the Holocaust
 
I just read through this whole thread. What a waste of time. foundit66, you had your butt handed to you and instead of being graceful about it and admitting you screwed up, you try to deflect and change the subject. I wonder how many liberals are now using this tactic? Their Messiah uses this tactic, so they mindlessly mimic him and march to the same beat. God how I miss the REAL liberals from the Truman/Eisenhower/JFK era. They were real men who had no problem admitting if they made a mistake and they learned by those errors. No lies, sniveling or finger pointing. Just good honest men who weren't afraid to make a decision and stick with it no matter the blow back.

foundit66 05-09-2013 07:52 PM

Re: Ridiculous Fox News Claim of the Day: Reason Caused the Holocaust
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 40yearfan (Post 556717)
I just read through this whole thread. What a waste of time. foundit66, you had your butt handed to you and instead of being graceful about it and admitting you screwed up, you try to deflect and change the subject.

What the heck is this stupidity?
I haven't "deflected" anything.

People have claimed "Fox News Claim of the Day" is a lie.
I have directly refuted them.
You may not agree with my argument, but it is a direct response with no deflection. :yes
if we had a thread for "Political Wrinkles Claim of the Day", would you automatically assume that "Political Wrinkles" had to say the comment, otherwise it would be a "lie"?
Or could you rationally put together that such a phrase would be indicative of a claim MADE ON Political Wrinkles?

People have claimed that they aren't saying reason caused the holocaust.
I have directly refuted them.
You may not agree with my argument, but it is a direct response with no deflection. :yes
If she wasn't saying that Reason caused Moral Relativism, then WHY did she even bring up this example in the first place? If Moral Relativism has no link to Reason, then there is no point in even mentioning moral relativism or the holocaust in her rant against "Reason".

Where the heck is the "deflection"?
I have directly demonstrated BOTH allegations are wrong.

Hairy Jello 05-09-2013 08:04 PM

Re: Ridiculous Fox News Claim of the Day: Reason Caused the Holocaust
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 40yearfan (Post 556717)
I just read through this whole thread. What a waste of time. foundit66, you had your butt handed to you and instead of being graceful about it and admitting you screwed up, you try to deflect and change the subject. I wonder how many liberals are now using this tactic? Their Messiah uses this tactic, so they mindlessly mimic him and march to the same beat. God how I miss the REAL liberals from the Truman/Eisenhower/JFK era. They were real men who had no problem admitting if they made a mistake and they learned by those errors. No lies, sniveling or finger pointing. Just good honest men who weren't afraid to make a decision and stick with it no matter the blow back.

Good thoughts and yeah the level of respect has dropped bad over the years. People look at admitting their mistakes as a weakness. It's actually a positive attribute and shows honor and integrity. It's all but gone these days in politics.

Don't be too hard on Foundit. I'm sure he'll read the article next time and not rely on the title alone like he did here. He seems like a fairly smart kid and hopefully won't get fooled again. Personally I never believe an article based on the title alone. I write for several websites and magazines and know first-hand how pathetic the journalism field can be especially when the topic is political. It gets a lot worse when you're browsing blogs and bias opinion sites because they rarely hold their writers accountable. The author of this article should never be allowed to write again. Articles like this one are pretty common with politics which is all the more reason to read it instead of blindly believing it based solely on the title alone. This one is a little special in that it lists 2 lies in the title which is more rare.

My only advice is read, read, read. Writers like to get creative and sensational with their headlines because a headline is extremely important in drawing readers in. Some writers get too cocky and make the title so sensational it sometimes is a lie like the article we're discussing here. If you take the time to read the article in it's entirety you'll see sometimes the article itself is very different from the title; a lesson Foundit learned the hard way.

40yearfan 05-09-2013 08:08 PM

Re: Ridiculous Fox News Claim of the Day: Reason Caused the Holocaust
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by foundit66 (Post 556718)
What the heck is this stupidity?
I haven't "deflected" anything.

People have claimed "Fox News Claim of the Day" is a lie.
I have directly refuted them.
You may not agree with my argument, but it is a direct response with no deflection. :yes
if we had a thread for "Political Wrinkles Claim of the Day", would you automatically assume that "Political Wrinkles" had to say the comment, otherwise it would be a "lie"?
Or could you rationally put together that such a phrase would be indicative of a claim MADE ON Political Wrinkles?

People have claimed that they aren't saying reason caused the holocaust.
I have directly refuted them.
You may not agree with my argument, but it is a direct response with no deflection. :yes
If she wasn't saying that Reason caused Moral Relativism, then WHY did she even bring up this example in the first place? If Moral Relativism has no link to Reason, then there is no point in even mentioning moral relativism or the holocaust in her rant against "Reason".

Where the heck is the "deflection"?
I have directly demonstrated BOTH allegations are wrong.

In your own mind you may think you have refuted it, but any thinking person can read through this thread and see that is not correct. Let me tell you, there is nothing wrong with being wrong on ocassion. I've had to apologize several times on this forum when I mis-stated something and I have no problem doing so when I realize I am wrong. We all make mistakes.

Take for example the Benghazi buzz that has been going on since Sept. of last year. If the OA had just admitted that they screwed up, the American public would have forgiven them and worked with them to keep something like this from happening again. Instead, they had to lie about it and try to hide it. Now they have a mess on their hands and some bulldogs who are not going to let go of this thing. Stupid.

40yearfan 05-09-2013 08:12 PM

Re: Ridiculous Fox News Claim of the Day: Reason Caused the Holocaust
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hairy Jello (Post 556721)
Good thoughts and yeah the level of respect has dropped bad over the years. People look at admitting their mistakes as a weakness. It's actually a positive attribute and shows honor and integrity. It's all but gone these days in politics.

Don't be too hard on Foundit. I'm sure he'll read the article next time and not rely on the title alone like he did here. He seems like a fairly smart kid and hopefully won't get fooled again. Personally I never believe an article based on the title alone. I write for several websites and magazines and know first-hand how pathetic the journalism field can be especially when the topic is political. It gets a lot worse when you're browsing blogs and bias opinion sites because they rarely hold their writers accountable. The author of this article should never be allowed to write again. Articles like this one are pretty common with politics which is all the more reason to read it instead of blindly believing it based solely on the title alone. This one is a little special in that it lists 2 lies in the title which is more rare.

My only advice is read, read, read. Writers like to get creative and sensational with their headlines because a headline is extremely important in drawing readers in. Some writers get too cocky and make the title so sensational it sometimes is a lie like the article we're discussing here. If you take the time to read the article in it's entirety you'll see sometimes the article itself is very different from the title; a lesson Foundit learned the hard way.

I keep telling Mikey this. Read the WHOLE article before you paste it on here. Make sure they aren't saying one thing at the beginning and something else at the end. It's an old journalistic trick to put your opinion at the front of the article and bury the other sides argument in the middle or end of the article. They know most people only read the first few paragraphs.

foundit66 05-09-2013 08:19 PM

Re: Ridiculous Fox News Claim of the Day: Reason Caused the Holocaust
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hairy Jello (Post 556721)
Don't be too hard on Foundit. I'm sure he'll read the article next time and not rely on the title alone like he did here.

There's a lesson in "respect" here, but you're deluding yourself if you think I have any concern for yours.
REPEATEDLY now I've told you that I not only read the article, I watched the video before posting.
REPEATEDLY now, you continue to lie and claim otherwise.

If you have an interest in discussing the points raised, then do so.
I've realized a couple pages ago you aren't capable. :shrug


Quote:

Originally Posted by 40yearfan
In your own mind you may think you have refuted it, but any thinking person can read through this thread and see that is not correct. Let me tell you, there is nothing wrong with being wrong on ocassion. I've had to apologize several times on this forum when I mis-stated something and I have no problem doing so when I realize I am wrong. We all make mistakes.

The funny thing is that I've asked a couple very simple questions to prove my point.
People keep avoiding it like the plague... :shrug
It's hard to take people like you seriously when you cower from a couple simple questions.


If we had a thread for "Political Wrinkles Claim of the Day", would you automatically assume that "Political Wrinkles" had to say the comment, otherwise it would be a "lie"?
Or could you rationally put together that such a phrase would be indicative of a claim MADE ON Political Wrinkles?


If she wasn't saying that Reason caused Moral Relativism, then WHY did she even bring up this example in the first place? If Moral Relativism has no link to Reason, then there is no point in even mentioning moral relativism or the holocaust in her rant against "Reason".

Balls in your court. :shrug
I fully understand you won't even try to pick it up. :yes

=================================================

On another note, there's an ongoing theme I've come to recognize...
Some on the right have reached the stage where they'll accept the preaching to their own choir, but they aren't capable of making a cogent argument for those who aren't already drinking the kool-aid.
Even right-wingers are recognizing this... :yes
http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/ele...y-project.html
http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/med...addiction.html
http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/ele...olescence.html

Hairy Jello 05-09-2013 08:42 PM

Re: Ridiculous Fox News Claim of the Day: Reason Caused the Holocaust
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 40yearfan (Post 556723)
I keep telling Mikey this. Read the WHOLE article before you paste it on here. Make sure they aren't saying one thing at the beginning and something else at the end. It's an old journalistic trick to put your opinion at the front of the article and bury the other sides argument in the middle or end of the article. They know most people only read the first few paragraphs.

Nailed it. Titles are many times really important because you want readers to click on it. If it's a sensational title like this one you'll have more traffic. For example if this title was honest it would have read "Concerned Women for America CEO says moral relativism led us to the Holocaust." That's truthful and what the article states within. The problem is that's not a sexy headline and unlikely to bring in readers so what do they do? They lie and use Fox News instead of Penny Nance because FNC is more widely known and divisive. They even go a step further and twist the original quote to make appear "reason" is what led us to the Holocaust instead of moral relativism. So you go from Penny Nance saying moral relativism led us down the road to the Holocaust to the more sensational and lying headline of Fox News claiming reason led us to the Holocaust.

It's a cute trick but bush league and sh*tty journalism. I would have fired any writer for pulling that weak sauce. Hard enough today to find out the truth without some partisan hack lying directly in the headline title. Writers know most will believe the title regardless of what the actual story says. It's all psychological. You also hit on a good point about people only reading the first few paragraphs before moving on which is exactly why the other side is buried deep if at all.

I think this turned out to be a good thread in that we're now discussing bush league and shady writing practices and the reasoning behind them.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0