Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > Political Forums > The Media
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Media Discuss Ex-sniper Chris Kyle spoke of legacy days before his death at the Political Forums; I heard he was killed this morning while at the VA. If I recall correctly (as announcements are being made ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-04-2013, 04:15 PM
mlurp's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Flatlands
Gender: Male
Posts: 37,487
Thanks: 19,199
Thanked 10,923 Times in 8,519 Posts
Default Ex-sniper Chris Kyle spoke of legacy days before his death

I heard he was killed this morning while at the VA. If I recall correctly (as announcements are being made that are louder than the TV volume is set to) he and two other friends were at a shooting range.

And this one guy just turned and shot the other two.

Quote:
.Ex-sniper Chris Kyle spoke of legacy days before his death

By Jason Sickles, Yahoo! | The Lookout – 2 hrs 5 mins ago.

American war hero Chris Kyle fortuitously spoke of the legacy he wanted to leave just days before being shot dead by a fellow soldier he was mentoring.

“I would love for people to be able to think of me as a guy who stood up for what he believed in and helped make a difference for the vets,” he told the Texan News Service. “You know, somebody who cared so much about them that he wanted them taken care of.”

That mission was tragically cut short on Saturday when Kyle and another man were killed at a gun range in Central Texas. Police said former Marine Eddie Ray Routh, 25, shot the men, who reportedly were spending the day with Routh in an effort to help with his post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Kyle, a former Navy SEAL recognized as the deadliest sniper in U.S. history, authored the 2012 best-selling book "American Sniper." Five days before his own death, he spoke at length to TNS, an independent Web publication produced by students from Tarleton State University, which Kyle once attended. The 26-minute recorded conversation was likely his last media interview.

The heavily decorated veteran had also spoken about the notoriety brought on by the book, including a recent stint on an NBC reality show featuring war veterans and celebrities. Kyle, who had suffered with his own bouts of PTSD, disclosed that he may not have been ready for the rush of activity tied to the book.

“I'm just trying to get back to normal life,” Kyle said.

He noted that when the book first came out, "I wasn’t in a good place yet in my life or in my head. But since then I’ve definitely gotten my head straight and gotten back to where I should be.”

Kyle attributed his recent happiness to spending more time with his family and his work with other veterans. He proudly talked about taking soldiers suffering from physical and emotional scars on deer hunting trips this past winter. “It sucks to be trapped somewhere,” he said of the hospitalized veterans. “You're just out there being one with the guys again, having fun and cutting up. Being in the outdoors, it seems to really progress their healing process. They get along so much faster to where the hospitals have now said, 'Whenever you want ’em, you just take ’em,' because ... they're just on a high for about two or three weeks.”

The work and outings have helped Kyle, too. “There’s definitely still a lot of hurt from losing my guys or the fact that I got out and I felt like it wasn’t my time yet,” he said. "Being able to do this makes me feel like I’m still a part of it and still giving back.”

Kyle had said he was giving all of his proceeds from “American Sniper” to the families of soldiers he couldn’t save in combat. He said he regularly received tearful calls and letters of thanks.

“That means the world to me,” he told Texas News Service.

Kyle’s book is being made into a movie, but he said he was leaving the heavy lifting to the folks in Hollywood.

“I’m trying to get it to where I spend more time at home, because the whole reason I got out was to be with my family,” he said. “I’m just trying to be the me that I am and not all of this other crap. I just want to be the family man, and if somehow I can make the money to get my ranch and get the hell away from everybody else, that would be awesome.”

Asked at the end of the interview if he had anything else to add, Kyle took a deep sigh and said, “I’m tired.”
Ex-sniper Chris Kyle spoke of legacy days before his death | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

572 comments. Some show that the public just doesn't understand P.T.S.D.

I do hope that this movie is made in his memory.
__________________


Improvise - Adapt - Over Come...
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-04-2013, 06:24 PM
joec's Avatar
Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Russell Springs, Kentucky
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,869
Thanks: 65
Thanked 1,246 Times in 874 Posts
Default Re: Ex-sniper Chris Kyle spoke of legacy days before his death

If you read the gun boards you will find the group Wounded Warriors is in trouble with them because they have a no gun policy for those receiving help. This kid was killed trying to help ex soldiers fight their demons with shooting guns. Perhaps Wounded Warriors has the right idea when you think about how many of these people commit suicide often taking others with them.
__________________
Joe

I used to be Apathetic. But Now I Just Don't Care.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-04-2013, 06:33 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Arizona
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,071
Thanks: 1,599
Thanked 3,068 Times in 2,073 Posts
Default Re: Ex-sniper Chris Kyle spoke of legacy days before his death

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec View Post
If you read the gun boards you will find the group Wounded Warriors is in trouble with them because they have a no gun policy for those receiving help. This kid was killed trying to help ex soldiers fight their demons with shooting guns. Perhaps Wounded Warriors has the right idea when you think about how many of these people commit suicide often taking others with them.
I'm yet to see that. You have a link? I do know they refused a donation from a christian group and therefore I have stopped my donation's to them.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-04-2013, 06:36 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,655
Thanks: 1,084
Thanked 1,428 Times in 1,114 Posts
Default Re: Ex-sniper Chris Kyle spoke of legacy days before his death

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzMike View Post
I'm yet to see that. You have a link? I do know they refused a donation from a christian group and therefore I have stopped my donation's to them.
Oh dear. They refused a donation from a Christian group. What does that mean to you?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-04-2013, 06:43 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Arizona
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,071
Thanks: 1,599
Thanked 3,068 Times in 2,073 Posts
Default Re: Ex-sniper Chris Kyle spoke of legacy days before his death

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky dancer View Post
Oh dear. They refused a donation from a Christian group. What does that mean to you?
It means my money earned and distributed with Christian values are not needed by them as they have refused those donations as not being a part of their value system. It means when you donate to a charity and they tell someone like minded to you not to bother donating I stop donating. It means they no longer stand for what I thought they did. It means I will find another way to support our troops.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AzMike For This Useful Post:
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-04-2013, 08:16 PM
joec's Avatar
Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Russell Springs, Kentucky
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,869
Thanks: 65
Thanked 1,246 Times in 874 Posts
Default Re: Ex-sniper Chris Kyle spoke of legacy days before his death

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzMike View Post
I'm yet to see that. You have a link? I do know they refused a donation from a christian group and therefore I have stopped my donation's to them.
Get off of Fox news and hit some of the local news programs. Cris and the other guy died due to a thing they had for thinking he could help troubled veterans at a gun range. Well he has been doing it for a couple of years now and had only talked the shooter on the phone and meet him when he died for the first time.

Now as for turning down a donation from a religious group regardless of the religion it represents we don't know what they might of asked for in exchange. I read the original article as posted in a gun group and saw no mention if they had asked for say access to their mailing lists of people and families they are helping etc. Now I'm leary also of religious groups donating to a cause like this since it is one no profit giving to another so it raises a flag for me. What is gained by it by the one donating is all I'm saying with out any facts to back that up.

However with all that said fact is the no gun issue came up months before the donation from a christian church group did. As for links to gun groups look up gun forums and you will find hundreds of them, take your pick as 90% of the members are right wingers.
__________________
Joe

I used to be Apathetic. But Now I Just Don't Care.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joec For This Useful Post:
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-04-2013, 08:22 PM
foundit66's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,620
Thanks: 10,112
Thanked 15,311 Times in 9,282 Posts
Post Re: Ex-sniper Chris Kyle spoke of legacy days before his death

Quote:
Cox, 27, who served in special operations in the Marines and was a scout sniper and Iraq veteran, said in an interview that Kyle was "a servant-leader."

"The man gave his life to serving veterans," Cox said. "He served them faithfully." FITCO Cares, also known as the Heroes Project, provides home fitness equipment, health club memberships and counseling to veterans.

Cox, who said he was not aware of a possible motive for the "tragic, senseless crime," said Kyle is survived by his wife, Taya, and two children.

Kyle was "an incredible guy who was always about family, about country and about God," his co-author said Sunday.

"During his life, he struggled to get those into the proper order," said Jim DeFelice, 56, of Warwick, N.Y., one of the co-authors of Kyle's best-selling book, American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History, which details Kyle's kills of 150-plus insurgents from 1999 to 2009.

"It was always God first, but he struggled sometimes with how to balance his responsibility to his country with his responsibility to his family," DeFelice said.
Ex-SEAL Chris Kyle remembered after shooting death

Quote:
Kyle enlisted in the Navy in February 1999 and was discharged on November 2009, military records show. During that time, he served four tours in Iraq received 14 different awards and decorations, including two Silver Stars, five Bronze Stars with Valor, and two Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medals.

"I didn't do it for the money or the awards. I did it because I felt like it was something that needed to be done and it was honorable. I loved the guys," Kyle told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram in 2012.
A Glance at the Life of Chris Kyle, Ex-Navy SEAL - ABC News


Very tragic that a hero's life was cut short..
__________________
“Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
~Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by foundit66; 02-04-2013 at 09:05 PM..
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foundit66 For This Useful Post:
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Arizona
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,071
Thanks: 1,599
Thanked 3,068 Times in 2,073 Posts
Default Re: Ex-sniper Chris Kyle spoke of legacy days before his death

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec View Post
Get off of Fox news and hit some of the local news programs. Cris and the other guy died due to a thing they had for thinking he could help troubled veterans at a gun range. Well he has been doing it for a couple of years now and had only talked the shooter on the phone and meet him when he died for the first time.
So it worked for a long time but not this time. How many did it help? What was the success rate? It's really a tragedy this happened but is the proper response to stop the program all together?

Quote:
Now as for turning down a donation from a religious group regardless of the religion it represents we don't know what they might of asked for in exchange. I read the original article as posted in a gun group and saw no mention if they had asked for say access to their mailing lists of people and families they are helping etc. Now I'm leary also of religious groups donating to a cause like this since it is one no profit giving to another so it raises a flag for me. What is gained by it by the one donating is all I'm saying with out any facts to back that up.
Nothing I have seen has even brought up the possibility they asked for anything more than to give them 50k in donations. Not even WWP mentioned that they were strictly in their letter basing the decision on religion.
Quote:
“We must decline the opportunity to be the beneficiary of your event due to our fundraising event criteria, which doesn’t allow community events to be religious in nature,” WWP’s community events team wrote in an email. “Please note your registration fee will be refunded within the next 7-10 business days.”
Seems pretty straight forward to me. They don't want Christian donations.

Quote:
However with all that said fact is the no gun issue came up months before the donation from a christian church group did. As for links to gun groups look up gun forums and you will find hundreds of them, take your pick as 90% of the members are right wingers.
Doesn't matter what came up first. I'm not against guns being part of rehab but denying religious donations is a done deal for me. It's too bad they seemed to have a good program going there. They should have just said thank you for the donation.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-04-2013, 09:09 PM
Scholar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,885
Thanks: 387
Thanked 2,216 Times in 1,309 Posts
Default Re: Ex-sniper Chris Kyle spoke of legacy days before his death

I can actually see the WWP not accepting donations from religious groups. They are a secular assistance organization. To accept donations from religious groups could lead to charges of religious preferences or discriminatory behavior if, for some reason, they felt compelled to refuse assistance from a group of a particular faith. I doubt, for instance, that WWP would want to accept donations from Islamic organizations, so they refuse to accept them from any religious group. Individuals within that group, of course, are still welcome to donate.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02-04-2013, 10:45 PM
joec's Avatar
Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Russell Springs, Kentucky
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,869
Thanks: 65
Thanked 1,246 Times in 874 Posts
Default Re: Ex-sniper Chris Kyle spoke of legacy days before his death

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzMike View Post
So it worked for a long time but not this time. How many did it help? What was the success rate? It's really a tragedy this happened but is the proper response to stop the program all together?


Nothing I have seen has even brought up the possibility they asked for anything more than to give them 50k in donations. Not even WWP mentioned that they were strictly in their letter basing the decision on religion.

Seems pretty straight forward to me. They don't want Christian donations.


Doesn't matter what came up first. I'm not against guns being part of rehab but denying religious donations is a done deal for me. It's too bad they seemed to have a good program going there. They should have just said thank you for the donation.
You seem to miss the point, two men are dead for doing something they thought would help remove the demons from the poor guys minds. Well it only takes one time when your life could be in danger. Now who will these too guys help?

As for the religious donations, what would you say if a Muslim group wanted to give them a donation? If they took one they would be forced to take the other now wouldn't they. So the set a standard leave religion up to those they help as they are there to repair their bodies if possible and if not at least be there with support not religious guidance.
__________________
Joe

I used to be Apathetic. But Now I Just Don't Care.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
before, chris, days, death, exsniper, his, kyle, legacy, spoke

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0