Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > Political Forums > The Media
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Media Discuss Limbaugh, On Obama's Visit To West Point: 'Will They Detain Him? Hopefully' at the Political Forums; Originally Posted by Sulayman Not a rationalization because in my post I'm not supporting any particular reason for a coup ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 11-29-2009, 04:53 PM
foundit66's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,620
Thanks: 10,112
Thanked 15,311 Times in 9,282 Posts
Post Re: Limbaugh, On Obama's Visit To West Point: 'Will They Detain Him? Hopefully'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulayman View Post
Not a rationalization because in my post I'm not supporting any particular reason for a coup just making an observation about humans. For every person there is a circumstance, some circumstance, that will compel him/her to support a coup against a government. It was pretty obvious the first time.
Now we can talk about what "support a coup" means, I suppose.
I think I see your point now.
"rationalization" was a poor word choice on my part. Thank you for correcting me.


I think "mitigation" would be a more accurate assessment of my perception, as your comments were having an impact of "causing an offense to seem less serious".

To give an analogy, if John shot Mark because Mark took what John thought was John's parking place, it wouldn't be too insightful to point out that virtually everybody has circumstances in which they would take another person's life (e.g. circumstances of self-defense).
It doesn't address the heart of John's issue.

Limbaugh's actions are outside what I would argue is a rational approach to what people would consider justification for a coup.
If you want to discuss why I think Limbaugh's actions are not part of a rational approach to justification for a coup, I am more than willing.
__________________
“Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
~Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 11-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,435
Thanks: 506
Thanked 466 Times in 339 Posts
Default Re: Limbaugh, On Obama's Visit To West Point: 'Will They Detain Him? Hopefully'

Limbaugh's humor just isn't lowbrow enough for some to get it.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nursej007 For This Useful Post:
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 11-29-2009, 05:30 PM
foundit66's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,620
Thanks: 10,112
Thanked 15,311 Times in 9,282 Posts
Post Re: Limbaugh, On Obama's Visit To West Point: 'Will They Detain Him? Hopefully'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursej007 View Post
Limbaugh's humor just isn't lowbrow enough for some to get it.
Seriously?

WHO LAUGHED at Limbaugh's comment?

It's not funny.
It's snide.
And considering who his audience was, it's just plain stupid.
Did Limbaugh really think WEST POINT personnel were going to laugh at such a recommendation?


Just goes to show you how out of touch some on the right are with reality.
__________________
“Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
~Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 11-29-2009, 05:49 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,435
Thanks: 506
Thanked 466 Times in 339 Posts
Default Re: Limbaugh, On Obama's Visit To West Point: 'Will They Detain Him? Hopefully'

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
Seriously?
Yes, seriously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
WHO LAUGHED at Limbaugh's comment?
My guess is, lots of people chuckled. Sorry... no survey data available.
I didn't hear it directly, but reading it made me chuckle, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
It's not funny.
Oh, Boo Hoo.. you didn't find it funny because you don't get his humor.

...Just goes to show how constipated some on the left are.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nursej007 For This Useful Post:
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 11-29-2009, 06:22 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,242
Thanks: 700
Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,920 Posts
Default Re: Limbaugh, On Obama's Visit To West Point: 'Will They Detain Him? Hopefully'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulayman View Post
You have no idea what I said, foundit66, because you haven't thought about it.
What goes around, comes around.

You do the same thing with me.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 11-29-2009, 06:25 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 83,620
Thanks: 56,102
Thanked 26,491 Times in 18,983 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Limbaugh, On Obama's Visit To West Point: 'Will They Detain Him? Hopefully'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulayman View Post
Everyone here would support a military coup given the right circumstances. Those circumstances are particular to each individual. Just saying.
If we didn't revolt under RR's second term and GW jr's, I think it's safe to say it won't happen.
__________________
...
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saltwn For This Useful Post:
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 11-29-2009, 06:25 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,242
Thanks: 700
Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,920 Posts
Default Re: Limbaugh, On Obama's Visit To West Point: 'Will They Detain Him? Hopefully'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursej007 View Post
Limbaugh's humor just isn't lowbrow enough for some to get it.
And a little too irresponsible for people, void of morality and love of country, to pick up.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Billo_Really For This Useful Post:
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 11-29-2009, 06:51 PM
foundit66's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,620
Thanks: 10,112
Thanked 15,311 Times in 9,282 Posts
Post Re: Limbaugh, On Obama's Visit To West Point: 'Will They Detain Him? Hopefully'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursej007 View Post
Yes, seriously.
My guess is, lots of people chuckled. Sorry... no survey data available.
I didn't hear it directly, but reading it made me chuckle, too.
Oh, Boo Hoo.. you didn't find it funny because you don't get his humor.
...Just goes to show how constipated some on the left are.

And other extremists on the left laughed at similar ideas with Bush.

Tell me nursej007. Would you have laughed if Olbermann had made a similar comment with Bush?
Nah. You don't need to answer that.
The answer is obviously "No", and it obviously indicates your politics are the real defining factor in this "humor".

Sorry. I forgot to account for how partisan extremists would find Limbaugh's comments as funny.
__________________
“Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
~Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 11-29-2009, 07:00 PM
Sulayman's Avatar
Dumbocrat herder
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: In the sunny South!
Gender: Male
Posts: 369
Thanks: 65
Thanked 146 Times in 112 Posts
Default Re: Limbaugh, On Obama's Visit To West Point: 'Will They Detain Him? Hopefully'

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
If you want to discuss why I think Limbaugh's actions are not part of a rational approach to justification for a coup, I am more than willing.
I didn't make my post because I have any interest in Limbaugh. I just wanted to point out a fallacy. I think you guys put way too much concern and worry into the words of an entertainer. I have no problem ignoring those douche bags George Carlin and Bill Maher. Maybe you should ignore Limbaugh.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 11-29-2009, 10:12 PM
foundit66's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,620
Thanks: 10,112
Thanked 15,311 Times in 9,282 Posts
Post Re: Limbaugh, On Obama's Visit To West Point: 'Will They Detain Him? Hopefully'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulayman View Post
I didn't make my post because I have any interest in Limbaugh. I just wanted to point out a fallacy.
Claiming it as a "fallacy" assumes people are giving it a pretty shallow analysis...
That doesn't do the situation justice...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulayman
I think you guys put way too much concern and worry into the words of an entertainer. I have no problem ignoring those douche bags George Carlin and Bill Maher. Maybe you should ignore Limbaugh.
If Limbaugh were "ignored" by his followers, such advice could possibly be more prudent.
But as long as he has a viewer-ship that runs approx 20 million (if we assume his numbers), I'm going to recognize the size of the issue...

20 million...
Maybe you should think on that for a minute...
How many threads are there around here involving cases of liberals whose actions are far more insignificant than that?

Take Billo_Reilly for example...
(No offense Billo, but neither of us have a viewership ranging in the millions...)
__________________
“Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
~Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
detain, him, hopefully, limbaugh, obama, point, they, visit, west, will

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0