Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > Political Forums > Local Politics
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Local Politics Discuss Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam apologizes for yearbook photo with blackface; KKK costume at the Political Forums; 'I am deeply sorry': Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam apologizes for yearbook photo with blackface, KKK costumes Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2019, 12:39 AM
cnredd's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Gender: Male
Posts: 53,984
Thanks: 2,143
Thanked 33,704 Times in 19,556 Posts
Default Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam apologizes for yearbook photo with blackface; KKK costume

'I am deeply sorry': Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam apologizes for yearbook photo with blackface, KKK costumes



Quote:
Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam apologized on Friday after acknowledging he was one of the two people in racist a photo that appeared in his medical school yearbook, showing a man dressed in blackface and another person wearing a Ku Klux Klan robe and hood.

The photo caused an instant firestorm encircling Northam and leading to loud, bipartisan calls for his immediate resignation, something Northam appeared to resist on Friday.

"I am deeply sorry for the decision I made to appear as I did in this photo and for the hurt that decision caused then and now," Northam said.

He vowed to push forward and work to mend the damage he'd caused.

"This behavior is not in keeping with who I am today and the values I have fought for throughout my career in the military, in medicine, and in public service," Northam said. "But I want to be clear, I understand how this decision shakes Virginians' faith in that commitment."

The photo was one of several listed on Northam's medical school yearbook page from Eastern Virginia Medical School from the year he graduated in 1984. The school confirmed the photo's authenticity and provided a copy of the page to USA TODAY.

"We can confirm that the picture in question does appear in a 1984 student-produced publication," the school said in a statement to USA TODAY.
This Leftwing culture has decided that "forgiveness" is a dirty word...EVERYONE who has done something or said something stupid (especially in the frame of humor...or even dark humor) must wear a scarlet letter for the rest of their lives...

The guy is 59 years old and took a bad image from 1984...When he was 25 friggin' years old...I doubt he even remembered having the picture taken...

If there's nothing else (even an inkling) where this guy shown any racist tendencies for the last 10/20 years, and the fact he's apologized (directly, not something wishy-washy), I'd say let it go...Immature youth...Chalk it up...

But the Left CAN'T do that....How would they look attacking a Conservative and demanding their resignation for something they did 30 years ago, sometime in the future, if they let this guy of the hook now?...

...so they HAVE to make him fall on his sword...The arrows in this bow are much more important than the individual...

Now here's the kicker...

Quote:
It was first discovered Friday afternoon by conservative news outlet Big League Politics.
No Washington Post?...New York Times?...NBC?...CNN?...All of the other Leftwing MSM outlets hoping the Democrat would beat the Republican in the Virginia governor's race?...

Where's THEIR research...Where's THEIR reporters assigned to the race?...

And notice the Leftwing MSM's reporting?...They first report the APOLOGY instead of reporting on it BEFORE the apology...It was ONLY the Conservative blogs that brought it up BEFORE the apology...The MSM waited...either hoping it wouldn't become a big story, or waited until the narrative goes to the Democrat's RESPONSE to the picture rather than the picture being the story itself...

Truth is, they either knew of it and didn't say a word, or (more likely) they didn't bother doing ANY research because they might FIND something like this...
__________________
"You get the respect that you give" - cnredd
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cnredd For This Useful Post:
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2019, 08:31 AM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,674
Thanks: 9,178
Thanked 7,484 Times in 4,509 Posts
Default Re: Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam apologizes for yearbook photo with blackface; KKK cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnredd View Post
'I am deeply sorry': Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam apologizes for yearbook photo with blackface, KKK costumes



This Leftwing culture has decided that "forgiveness" is a dirty word...EVERYONE who has done something or said something stupid (especially in the frame of humor...or even dark humor) must wear a scarlet letter for the rest of their lives...

The guy is 59 years old and took a bad image from 1984...When he was 25 friggin' years old...I doubt he even remembered having the picture taken...

If there's nothing else (even an inkling) where this guy shown any racist tendencies for the last 10/20 years, and the fact he's apologized (directly, not something wishy-washy), I'd say let it go...Immature youth...Chalk it up...

But the Left CAN'T do that....How would they look attacking a Conservative and demanding their resignation for something they did 30 years ago, sometime in the future, if they let this guy of the hook now?...

...so they HAVE to make him fall on his sword...The arrows in this bow are much more important than the individual...

Now here's the kicker...

No Washington Post?...New York Times?...NBC?...CNN?...All of the other Leftwing MSM outlets hoping the Democrat would beat the Republican in the Virginia governor's race?...

Where's THEIR research...Where's THEIR reporters assigned to the race?...

And notice the Leftwing MSM's reporting?...They first report the APOLOGY instead of reporting on it BEFORE the apology...It was ONLY the Conservative blogs that brought it up BEFORE the apology...The MSM waited...either hoping it wouldn't become a big story, or waited until the narrative goes to the Democrat's RESPONSE to the picture rather than the picture being the story itself...

Truth is, they either knew of it and didn't say a word, or (more likely) they didn't bother doing ANY research because they might FIND something like this...
Northam is a left wing idiot in the manner of Kaine, our other me too 'er idiot who never met a left wing idea he didn't like. But this is a couple college kids going to a costume party years ago. No more weight than Kavanaugh or something about Trump's daddy.

Having said that, I won't be sorry to see him go. But then we get Jenkins, a progressive black who shuts down the states business because the assembly is debating Lee
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2019, 08:37 AM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,171
Thanks: 9,854
Thanked 6,051 Times in 4,100 Posts
Default Re: Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam apologizes for yearbook photo with blackface; KKK cos

while forgiveness is something that should always be an option. ... for all of us.
In this case it has to be after reviewing and accessing his other and more recent behavior .
But the photo sadly puts a bit of a shadow over it all now.

Personally, I'm not someone who wants to end people's careers over all of the old stuff people did in college or young.
or even some current slips of the tongue and the like.
IMO people in America simply have a lot of old racist bad habits. 400 years of racist policies, actions and cultural mindset weren't just completely erased in the 1960s and 1970s. That's just the way it is. Even though some folks like to say that racism is basically over. the stink lingers (often in away that some folks can't even smell it becasue it's just part of the air) and it comes out strong from time to time.
IMO sometime it needs harsh redress, sometimes meh, not so much. Depending on the actual effects.

But the fact that it was "1984!" "he was 25 years old", isn't a excuse.
1984 isn't that long ago, and it was WELL known at that point that dressing in blackface and hanging out with people dressed in KKK outfits was about as racist you could get. I mean a 25 year old med student kid at a school like VMI in 1984 knew better and did it anyway.

While it's fine to want to assume that it was just a one off and not reflective of his real mindset.
To me it comes across, at the least, as showing that he had... and maybe still has... as seriously callous disposition towards minorities. (that kind of attitude doesn't often stop a blacks) . Or he had EXTREMELY bad decision making skills.

With his current POV on abortion I'm inclined wonder if both are true.

But in general for those that don't get where i'm coming from, and think it's no big deal, that it was just jokin' around at a party.
I wonder what you'd think of a German 25 year old med student, at a German military college in 1984 dressing up as caricature of a Jew next to a friend dressed as NAZIs Concentration camp soldier at a school party.
I mean WWII was long time ago right? No one today should complain or suspect anyone of seriously harboring those ideas in Germany today right? He was just a kid and didn't know better and probably doesn't even remember that, right?
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8

Last edited by mr wonder; 02-02-2019 at 08:43 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2019, 09:15 AM
Conservative Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 16,788
Thanks: 9,869
Thanked 10,375 Times in 6,311 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to AZRWinger
Default Re: Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam apologizes for yearbook photo with blackface; KKK cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr wonder View Post
while forgiveness is something that should always be an option. ... for all of us.
In this case it has to be after reviewing and accessing his other and more recent behavior .
But the photo sadly puts a bit of a shadow over it all now.

Personally, I'm not someone who wants to end people's careers over all of the old stuff people did in college or young.
or even some current slips of the tongue and the like.
IMO people in America simply have a lot of old racist bad habits. 400 years of racist policies, actions and cultural mindset weren't just completely erased in the 1960s and 1970s. That's just the way it is. Even though some folks like to say that racism is basically over. the stink lingers (often in away that some folks can't even smell it becasue it's just part of the air) and it comes out strong from time to time.
IMO sometime it needs harsh redress, sometimes meh, not so much. Depending on the actual effects.

But the fact that it was "1984!" "he was 25 years old", isn't a excuse.
1984 isn't that long ago, and it was WELL known at that point that dressing in blackface and hanging out with people dressed in KKK outfits was about as racist you could get. I mean a 25 year old med student kid at a school like VMI in 1984 knew better and did it anyway.

While it's fine to want to assume that it was just a one off and not reflective of his real mindset.
To me it comes across, at the least, as showing that he had... and maybe still has... as seriously callous disposition towards minorities. (that kind of attitude doesn't often stop a blacks) . Or he had EXTREMELY bad decision making skills.

With his current POV on abortion I'm inclined wonder if both are true.

But in general for those that don't get where i'm coming from, and think it's no big deal, that it was just jokin' around at a party.
I wonder what you'd think of a German 25 year old med student, at a German military college in 1984 dressing up as caricature of a Jew next to a friend dressed as NAZIs Concentration camp soldier at a school party.
I mean WWII was long time ago right? No one today should complain or suspect anyone of seriously harboring those ideas in Germany today right? He was just a kid and didn't know better and probably doesn't even remember that, right?
No question the photo is offensive. No doubt that's why the Democrat controlled media kept it buried for so long. Remember John Edward's love child was only exposed after the National Inquirer broke the story.

Recall that an actual KKK member and recruiter, Senator Robert Byrd, was forgiven after an apology even after he filibustered the civil rights bill. LBJ's lifelong devotion to segregation was swept under the rug by his advocacy of the civil rights bill. Even George Wallace got some measure of forgiveness. Does the new radicalized Democrat party reject forgiveness?

Democrats have created an environment where Republicans are judged as irredeemable on the basis of rumor and innuendo. The accuser must always be believed when the target is a Republican. In this case the evidence is indisputable. Will the reaction be the same when it's one of their own?
__________________
What is a 30 something year old single man with a rock in one hand and a Honduran flag in the other?

An asylum seeker.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AZRWinger For This Useful Post:
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2019, 09:36 AM
Constant_Slothrop's Avatar
Guide
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 469
Thanks: 2
Thanked 90 Times in 80 Posts
Default Re: Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam apologizes for yearbook photo with blackface; KKK cos

He need to resign and it looks like he intends to do so this morning. Those calling this just one stupid incident from when he was a kid need to remember that he made the conscious decision to put this photo in his medical school yearbook, when he was an adult. He thought it appropriate, in 1984, to have this picture as a permanent representation of his medical school graduation. He may not be a racist, but his credibility on any racially related issue is destroyed.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2019, 09:51 AM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,171
Thanks: 9,854
Thanked 6,051 Times in 4,100 Posts
Default Re: Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam apologizes for yearbook photo with blackface; KKK cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRWinger View Post
No question the photo is offensive. No doubt that's why the Democrat controlled media kept it buried for so long. Remember John Edward's love child was only exposed after the National Inquirer broke the story.

Recall that an actual KKK member and recruiter, Senator Robert Byrd, was forgiven after an apology even after he filibustered the civil rights bill. LBJ's lifelong devotion to segregation was swept under the rug by his advocacy of the civil rights bill. Even George Wallace got some measure of forgiveness. Does the new radicalized Democrat party reject forgiveness?

Democrats have created an environment where Republicans are judged as irredeemable on the basis of rumor and innuendo. The accuser must always be believed when the target is a Republican. In this case the evidence is indisputable. Will the reaction be the same when it's one of their own?
The democrats forgive and forget and sometime don't even see many things those in their own party do.
Or worse promote the idea that some immoral behavior should be celebrated and protected under law.

So IMO whether or not they smear Northam as a hardcore racist for this, as they've done to others, and try to drive him out like they tried with Kavenaugh(sp) and others depends on how Dems feel about Northam's role in the protecting/promoting the democratic agendas.
if they feel he's important enough they'll make excuses for him. All will be forgiven. If not he'll get thrown under the bus.
A few on the left have been taken out by this kind of thing, guys like former congressman like Al Fraken. But condemnation and punishment is selective.

And, i agree, those on the right will get no mercy from most on the left on this issue.
And every transgression is seen just as a confirmation of their view of all of right leaning politics and politicians.

And I'd have to add that the sad thing is that, even though many on the left will always think the wosrt, the right doesn't really do much to dispel the stereotype. When Trump says things like they're were good people on both sides after an admitted racist kills a girl in the street. It's not helping. When he claims he doesn't know who David Duke is and won't condemn his racist views or background. It doesn't help. When Trump says and crowds cheer at the idea that Latino immigrants are mainly bringing guns, drugs, disease and crime but some are good people. it doesn't help. Those are not issues of politicians of left wing in the 1950s 60s and 70's. Some who did change and/or at least help those that they'd previously tried to suppress.
But hey as i mentioned, the stink just lingers in the air.
Few people's hands are clean, we all need forgiveness, and to try and be decent people to everyone.
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8

Last edited by mr wonder; 02-02-2019 at 09:58 AM..
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mr wonder For This Useful Post:
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2019, 09:53 AM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,674
Thanks: 9,178
Thanked 7,484 Times in 4,509 Posts
Default Re: Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam apologizes for yearbook photo with blackface; KKK cos

What's ironic is that this digging into his past came about due to his statement in the here and now that it's acceptable to make newborns comfortable while mommy decides whether or not she wants the responsibility of a newborn.

That statement didn't seem to bother people. But now? A costume decades ago does.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimbo For This Useful Post:
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2019, 10:22 AM
Bat Bat is offline
Hinged
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,725
Thanks: 72
Thanked 1,142 Times in 691 Posts
Default Re: Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam apologizes for yearbook photo with blackface; KKK cos

Things were different in the early 80's. People weren't so easily offended. Instead, we had fun.

It was some time in the early 80's when two of my friends came to a Halloween party as black and KKK. The white guy did the blackface and his black girlfriend did the KKK outfit, it was hilarious. They played it all night, even to the point that she kept ordering him to get her drinks and food while calling him stuff like "boy" and "N-word" and he kept saying stuff like "yessa massa".
We were obviously more enlightened back in those days.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bat For This Useful Post:
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2019, 10:46 AM
WallyWager's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Michigan
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,620
Thanks: 1,560
Thanked 8,880 Times in 5,670 Posts
Default Re: Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam apologizes for yearbook photo with blackface; KKK cos

When it rains, it pours for this guy.

Where was Ed Gillespie's opposition research on this one? How did they miss this photo?

My biggest question however is what kind of medical school thought this was acceptable in a yearbook?
__________________
"There's two types of people: people that look at porn, and people that lie about it. But I wasn't looking!" -

Alex Jones
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2019, 10:49 AM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,171
Thanks: 9,854
Thanked 6,051 Times in 4,100 Posts
Default Re: Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam apologizes for yearbook photo with blackface; KKK cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWager View Post
When it rains, it pours for this guy.

Where was Ed Gillespie's opposition research on this one? How did they miss this photo?

My biggest question however is what kind of medical school thought this was acceptable in a yearbook?
"Student edited Year Book" i think it was.
take that for what it's worth.
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
apologizes, blackface, costume, for, gov, kkk, northam, photo, ralph, virginia, with, yearbook

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0