Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > Political Forums > Local Politics
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Local Politics Discuss Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam apologizes for yearbook photo with blackface; KKK costume at the Political Forums; Originally Posted by Bat Things were different in the early 80's. People weren't so easily offended. Instead, we had fun. ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2019, 10:55 AM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,329
Thanks: 9,927
Thanked 8,204 Times in 4,868 Posts
Default Re: Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam apologizes for yearbook photo with blackface; KKK cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat View Post
Things were different in the early 80's. People weren't so easily offended. Instead, we had fun.

It was some time in the early 80's when two of my friends came to a Halloween party as black and KKK. The white guy did the blackface and his black girlfriend did the KKK outfit, it was hilarious. They played it all night, even to the point that she kept ordering him to get her drinks and food while calling him stuff like "boy" and "N-word" and he kept saying stuff like "yessa massa".
We were obviously more enlightened back in those days.
It wasn't all that many years ago that Danson showed up in blackface when he and Goldberg were an item.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimbo For This Useful Post:
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2019, 02:52 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,033
Thanks: 11,774
Thanked 4,365 Times in 2,814 Posts
Default Re: Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam apologizes for yearbook photo with blackface; KKK cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnredd View Post
'I am deeply sorry': Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam apologizes for yearbook photo with blackface, KKK costumes



This Leftwing culture has decided that "forgiveness" is a dirty word...EVERYONE who has done something or said something stupid (especially in the frame of humor...or even dark humor) must wear a scarlet letter for the rest of their lives...

The guy is 59 years old and took a bad image from 1984...When he was 25 friggin' years old...I doubt he even remembered having the picture taken...

If there's nothing else (even an inkling) where this guy shown any racist tendencies for the last 10/20 years, and the fact he's apologized (directly, not something wishy-washy), I'd say let it go...Immature youth...Chalk it up...

But the Left CAN'T do that....How would they look attacking a Conservative and demanding their resignation for something they did 30 years ago, sometime in the future, if they let this guy of the hook now?...

...so they HAVE to make him fall on his sword...The arrows in this bow are much more important than the individual...

Now here's the kicker...

No Washington Post?...New York Times?...NBC?...CNN?...All of the other Leftwing MSM outlets hoping the Democrat would beat the Republican in the Virginia governor's race?...

Where's THEIR research...Where's THEIR reporters assigned to the race?...

And notice the Leftwing MSM's reporting?...They first report the APOLOGY instead of reporting on it BEFORE the apology...It was ONLY the Conservative blogs that brought it up BEFORE the apology...The MSM waited...either hoping it wouldn't become a big story, or waited until the narrative goes to the Democrat's RESPONSE to the picture rather than the picture being the story itself...

Truth is, they either knew of it and didn't say a word, or (more likely) they didn't bother doing ANY research because they might FIND something like this...
I though it was utterly absurd--and an example of partisan politics at its worst--when Democrats wished to slur Brett Kavanaugh a few months ago, over something he had done decades ago.

Well, when the shoe is on the other foot, the same principle applies.

I do think that Gov. Northam should be impeached (though it probably will not happen)--but not because of some stupid thing that he did in his twenties.

No, he should be impeached because of his promotion of infanticide. (The baby--if born imperfect--would be kept "comfortable," while the mother and the doctor discussed whether or not to kill him--or her.)

Again, however, I would wish to be consistent in regard to going back decades, in order to "get" someone.
__________________
"In his second inaugural address, [Franklin D.] Roosevelt sought 'unimagined power' to enforce the 'proper subordination' of private power to public power. He got it…"—George Will, July 8, 2007
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pjohns For This Useful Post:
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2019, 03:06 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 81,689
Thanks: 55,570
Thanked 26,336 Times in 18,856 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam apologizes for yearbook photo with blackface; KKK cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnredd View Post
'I am deeply sorry': Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam apologizes for yearbook photo with blackface, KKK costumes



This Leftwing culture has decided that "forgiveness" is a dirty word...EVERYONE who has done something or said something stupid (especially in the frame of humor...or even dark humor) must wear a scarlet letter for the rest of their lives...

The guy is 59 years old and took a bad image from 1984...When he was 25 friggin' years old...I doubt he even remembered having the picture taken...

If there's nothing else (even an inkling) where this guy shown any racist tendencies for the last 10/20 years, and the fact he's apologized (directly, not something wishy-washy), I'd say let it go...Immature youth...Chalk it up...

But the Left CAN'T do that....How would they look attacking a Conservative and demanding their resignation for something they did 30 years ago, sometime in the future, if they let this guy of the hook now?...

...so they HAVE to make him fall on his sword...The arrows in this bow are much more important than the individual...

Now here's the kicker...

No Washington Post?...New York Times?...NBC?...CNN?...All of the other Leftwing MSM outlets hoping the Democrat would beat the Republican in the Virginia governor's race?...

Where's THEIR research...Where's THEIR reporters assigned to the race?...

And notice the Leftwing MSM's reporting?...They first report the APOLOGY instead of reporting on it BEFORE the apology...It was ONLY the Conservative blogs that brought it up BEFORE the apology...The MSM waited...either hoping it wouldn't become a big story, or waited until the narrative goes to the Democrat's RESPONSE to the picture rather than the picture being the story itself...

Truth is, they either knew of it and didn't say a word, or (more likely) they didn't bother doing ANY research because they might FIND something like this...
yeah when I first started seeing this pic and heard it was in the 80s, I didn't know if it was a Republican or Democrat. It's something that if explainable should have been brought up a long time ago. But on the face of it I'd say he should just resign.
All of us have seen people who would do stuff like that but the reason it's shocking is that it's something out of the mainstream of what a normal not psychotic person would have done in the 80s even on drugs. Sorry, but no pass, Governor. Get out of office now and devote your time to learning why this is such a big hurt.
__________________
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."
- Albert Camus
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2019, 03:36 PM
WallyWager's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Michigan
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,945
Thanks: 1,578
Thanked 9,098 Times in 5,817 Posts
Default Re: Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam apologizes for yearbook photo with blackface; KKK cos

Now Northam's denying he was either person in the photo, after apologizing for being the one in blackface.

Does anyone believe that?
__________________
"I've known Jeff for 15 years. Terrific guy. He's a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side." - Donald Trump, on pedophile Jeff Epstein.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WallyWager For This Useful Post:
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2019, 03:36 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 81,689
Thanks: 55,570
Thanked 26,336 Times in 18,856 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam apologizes for yearbook photo with blackface; KKK cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRWinger View Post
No question the photo is offensive. No doubt that's why the Democrat controlled media kept it buried for so long. Remember John Edward's love child was only exposed after the National Inquirer broke the story.

Recall that an actual KKK member and recruiter, Senator Robert Byrd, was forgiven after an apology even after he filibustered the civil rights bill. LBJ's lifelong devotion to segregation was swept under the rug by his advocacy of the civil rights bill. Even George Wallace got some measure of forgiveness. Does the new radicalized Democrat party reject forgiveness?

Democrats have created an environment where Republicans are judged as irredeemable on the basis of rumor and innuendo. The accuser must always be believed when the target is a Republican. In this case the evidence is indisputable. Will the reaction be the same when it's one of their own?
Y'all seem to go for bumper stickers, so here's an apt one:
Two wrongs don't make a right.


The longer version of my solution for the country is this:
White people especially conservatives from both parties, but even liberals and progressive thinking Republicans need to engage with the Black community.
Individually we need to start touching base with people of color but mostly the African American descended from slavery ancestors. All Blacks are affected by and affect the divide, as well as Whites.
It doesn't have to be government instituted though it can be.
Actually when desegregation went into affect we also should have had mandated dialogue among the people who were willing to participate and leave the bad guys on the floor for a minute while we got together.
We are all the same race, the human race. That has been said by many but is worth repeating over and over again until their are no barriers, no mysteries, or misunderstandings.
And if we don't care about hurt feelings, we should learn why in this circumstance as with all human interactions, hurt feelings matter to our survival as a country.

Just individually we know that lack of love causes serial killers. Lack of motherly love causes failure to thrive. Lack of brotherly love causes neuroses as well as paranoia.
The bully is as sick as the tortured. There is a reason he/she needs to bully.
We Whites need to embrace the son of a slave story and make it our story.
because it is our story. we are all connected cosmically and by DNA. That is why it hurts us so much as a people to ignore little sister every day of her life when she comes into a room. Then turn around and make fun of her worst nightmares.
We are sick. All of us. Over broken connections to our family. Believe it or not that hurts all of us. We need to heal.
Just talk and listen. Even if you can only do it online. But real world situations are much better if you can swing it.
__________________
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."
- Albert Camus
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2019, 05:35 PM
WallyWager's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Michigan
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,945
Thanks: 1,578
Thanked 9,098 Times in 5,817 Posts
Default Re: Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam apologizes for yearbook photo with blackface; KKK cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr wonder View Post
"Student edited Year Book" i think it was.
take that for what it's worth.
Even so, you'd think someone would have caught that and told Ralph or one of the editors they can't have that in the yearbook.
__________________
"I've known Jeff for 15 years. Terrific guy. He's a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side." - Donald Trump, on pedophile Jeff Epstein.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WallyWager For This Useful Post:
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2019, 06:00 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,329
Thanks: 9,927
Thanked 8,204 Times in 4,868 Posts
Default Re: Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam apologizes for yearbook photo with blackface; KKK cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWager View Post
Now Northam's denying he was either person in the photo, after apologizing for being the one in blackface.

Does anyone believe that?
He's a dumb ass. People got to digging when he went on record stating that it was OK to kill newborns.

Now he claims it's not him in the picture even though yesterday he was groveling because it was him. But now he remembers this one time, when he was impersonating Michael Jackson, he darkened his face.

Makes one wonder how many photos are out there.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2019, 09:33 PM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,271
Thanks: 10,609
Thanked 6,679 Times in 4,531 Posts
Default Re: Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam apologizes for yearbook photo with blackface; KKK cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat View Post
Things were different in the early 80's. People weren't so easily offended. Instead, we had fun.

It was some time in the early 80's when two of my friends came to a Halloween party as black and KKK. The white guy did the blackface and his black girlfriend did the KKK outfit, it was hilarious. They played it all night, even to the point that she kept ordering him to get her drinks and food while calling him stuff like "boy" and "N-word" and he kept saying stuff like "yessa massa".
We were obviously more enlightened back in those days.
killing babies is not recognized as "offensive" at all to many on the left.
While racial/sexual/gender insensitivity is nearly a capital crime, worthy of loss of official positions and livelihoods. It's just unthinkable to put up it.

the right's highest offense seem to be about the flag, anthem which somehow = "the troops".
the killing of innocent American blacks or American babies is something that should be talked about... one day... maybe... but only to tell blacks it's not a problem and tsk tsk over dead babies.
But it's time right now speak up and to destroy the livelihoods and boycott those that ...in their view... disrespect the flag or anthem. It's just unthinkable to put up it.
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mr wonder For This Useful Post:
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2019, 09:53 AM
Conservative Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 17,927
Thanks: 11,303
Thanked 12,008 Times in 7,098 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to AZRWinger
Default Re: Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam apologizes for yearbook photo with blackface; KKK cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr wonder View Post
killing babies is not recognized as "offensive" at all to many on the left.
While racial/sexual/gender insensitivity is nearly a capital crime, worthy of loss of official positions and livelihoods. It's just unthinkable to put up it.

the right's highest offense seem to be about the flag, anthem which somehow = "the troops".
the killing of innocent American blacks or American babies is something that should be talked about... one day... maybe... but only to tell blacks it's not a problem and tsk tsk over dead babies.
But it's time right now speak up and to destroy the livelihoods and boycott those that ...in their view... disrespect the flag or anthem. It's just unthinkable to put up it.
It's states controlled by Democrat hegemonies that are passing laws legalizing Gosnell style abortion. Voting Democrat means not just endorsing the disportionate impact of abortion on blacks , see PP founder Margaret Sanger's racist remarks, but now it requires endorsing the slaughter of newly born children.

NFL players are allowed to demonstrate their political beliefs in the workplace. But customers reactions must conform to the interpretation dictated by the protesters. Players can protest when and where they see fit as an expression of freedom but fans are denied the same latitude in their reaction.
__________________
What is a 30 something year old single man with a rock in one hand and a Honduran flag in the other?

An asylum seeker.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2019, 10:32 AM
ShivaTD's Avatar
Progressive Libertarian
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Immigrant to Arizona
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,429
Thanks: 1,492
Thanked 2,314 Times in 1,840 Posts
Default Re: Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam apologizes for yearbook photo with blackface; KKK cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnredd View Post
'I am deeply sorry': Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam apologizes for yearbook photo with blackface, KKK costumes



This Leftwing culture has decided that "forgiveness" is a dirty word...EVERYONE who has done something or said something stupid (especially in the frame of humor...or even dark humor) must wear a scarlet letter for the rest of their lives...

The guy is 59 years old and took a bad image from 1984...When he was 25 friggin' years old...I doubt he even remembered having the picture taken...

If there's nothing else (even an inkling) where this guy shown any racist tendencies for the last 10/20 years, and the fact he's apologized (directly, not something wishy-washy), I'd say let it go...Immature youth...Chalk it up...
A 25 year old well educated adult symbolically endorsing the KKK two decades after the Civil Rights movement of the 1960's can be forgiven but that doesn't change the fact that his endorsement of the KKK disqualified him from holding any office of public trust for the rest of his life.

Being a racist has consequences. We can forgive Northam for being a racist in his youth but the forgiveness does not provide him with any right to hold a public office of trust. The fact that he's not publicly shown any racist tendencies does not imply that he's not racially prejudiced.

I recall when Trump made the "textbook racist" remark about a US federal judge of Hispanic decent and Republicans said that he shouldn't have made that statement publicly. Being a racist is acceptable to Republicans as long as they keep it to themselves and don't go around making racist remarks.

Interesting that once again we have Trump supporters supporting a racist even when the racist is a Democrat. Being a racist is apparently more important than political ideology to Trump supporters.
__________________
"I always had a rule, if a restaurant is dirty on the outside, it's dirty on the inside." Donald Trump

"I always had a rule, if the White House is dirty on the inside, it's dirty on the outside." ShivaTD

Based upon the corruption, brutality, inhumanity, immorality, dishonesty, and incompetence of the Trump administration the White House is the dirtiest house in America and there's no known cleanser that with remove the stains of the Trump Administration.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
apologizes, blackface, costume, for, gov, kkk, northam, photo, ralph, virginia, with, yearbook

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0