Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > Political Forums > Local Politics
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Local Politics Discuss Florida man shot and killed over parking spot at the Political Forums; Originally Posted by Zenock Police won't do anything. They aren't going to zip over and ticket some lady parked at ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51 (permalink)  
Old 08-15-2018, 03:12 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 80,316
Thanks: 55,149
Thanked 26,144 Times in 18,685 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Florida man shot and killed over parking spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenock View Post
Police won't do anything. They aren't going to zip over and ticket some lady parked at the local circle A.

...
They would here where I live.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #52 (permalink)  
Old 08-15-2018, 03:16 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 80,316
Thanks: 55,149
Thanked 26,144 Times in 18,685 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Florida man shot and killed over parking spot

Florida prosecutors on Monday filed manslaughter charges against the man who gunned down a father following an argument over a parking space a killing that led to renewed scrutiny over the state's "stand your ground" law.

Michael Drejka, 48, was being booked into the Pinellas County Jail with a bond issued at $100,000, said Sheriff Bob Gualtieri, who was initially criticized for deciding not to bring charges in the case. Link
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #53 (permalink)  
Old 08-15-2018, 04:38 PM
Manitou's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,730
Thanks: 403
Thanked 6,117 Times in 4,427 Posts
Default Re: Florida man shot and killed over parking spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenock View Post
I apologize I did not mean to imply you have ever called anyone an a-hole. Rather that you've called out their behavior when they were acting like one. My point was, that there is nothing wrong with expressing to someone that they are behaving in a way they should not be. Let's be clear parking in handicap parking when you aren't handicap is entitlement behavior.



Right, "I told the police that there was someone parked in handicap parking at circle A and they didn't drop what they were doing and come ticket her before she left." That's going to get results.

I stand by my belief that there's nothing wrong with letting someone know their behavior is unacceptable.




I think she was lying through her teeth when she said that. Her position was indefensible. She should have just moved her dang car.

Yes there are some differences. But it raises the question when is it OK to say to someone hey look this behavior you are exhibiting is unacceptable and when are you suppose to just duck your head down and call the police about it and hope they do something?



Nice, so your doubling down that its NOT OK for a person to verbally express that someones illegal behavior is unacceptable. But it IS OK to physically assault someone for legal behavior you find unacceptable?



We live in communities and these communities are our business. When a persons actions affect the community they live in, a person is within their rights to express their displeasure with those actions. The handicap parking laws apply to everyone. But you know ... let's ignore the laws and do what we want if people complain we'll beat the crap out of them because they should mind their own business.



Sadly, no one ever does.


Apologies are not necessary. This is a discussion board, and posters are going to interact with other posters. It is not so in the outside world, where people need to mind their own business over some non-hazardous matter like a Handicapped space. I'll bet the police are going to drop what they are doing if your complaint is a matter of imminent danger.

Don't put words in my mouth. It is not acceptable for some person to confront any of my party for a chide and lecture reason over a non-hazardous item. I do find it acceptable to pummel the busybody if he refuses to back off. Give him an opportunity to involve the police. If he were to tell me something stupid like, "Well, you're going to hear what I have to say regardless," or something just as stupid, I will get in the car, and if he obstructs my way, I will have to do the neutralizing thing for my safety. Tell me you would allow him to block your exit.

Your last statement is just plain silly, so I will not entertain it.

May you live forever.
Reply With Quote
  #54 (permalink)  
Old 08-15-2018, 05:25 PM
RightofCenterLeftofCrazy
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Idaho
Gender: Male
Posts: 861
Thanks: 53
Thanked 660 Times in 381 Posts
Default Re: Florida man shot and killed over parking spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitou View Post
Apologies are not necessary. This is a discussion board, and posters are going to interact with other posters. It is not so in the outside world, where people need to mind their own business over some non-hazardous matter like a Handicapped space. I'll bet the police are going to drop what they are doing if your complaint is a matter of imminent danger.

Don't put words in my mouth.
It was never my intent to put words in your mouth. I was simply repeating back to you my understanding of what you said.

Quote:
It is not acceptable for some person to confront any of my party for a chide and lecture reason over a non-hazardous item.
Someone throws garbage in my neighbors yard. That's non-hazardous. Am I allowed to say, "Hey don't do that, pick that up." (I've done this.) or should I mind my own business?

What if It's not my neighbors yard, but out in public someplace? I don't know who's yard it is but it's obviously not that persons?

What if some's dog takes a dump on the sidewalk while I'm walking around town, can I say, "Hey that's disgusting clean that up?" Or should I just mind my own business?

I think we've established I'm OK telling people not to park in a fire lane because it's a safety issue or is that only when a fire alarm is going off? I'm not 100% clear on that one.

What if I see someone starting to spray graffiti on a memorial? Can I say anything, or do I need to allow them to continue and just call the police? I mean it's not a safety issue so maybe I should just mind my own business?

What about someone smoking in a no smoking area? Can I say something about that? Or do I need to just suck it up and mind my own business?

The only thing right now I'm clear on is that if someone who is clearly NOT handicap parks in handicap parking I should NOT say anything to them. They can ignore the law and park there. It's not my place to say anything. I need to MIND MY OWN BUSINESS.

Are their mitigating factors to this? What if I'm handicapped and can not SAFELY get in and out of my vehicle in other spots? What if my son, daughter, or grandparent is? Then is it OK for me to say something cause it kinda is my business? Or do I need to still keep my mouth shut?

Quote:
I do find it acceptable to pummel the busybody if he refuses to back off. Give him an opportunity to involve the police. If he were to tell me something stupid like, "Well, you're going to hear what I have to say regardless," or something just as stupid, I will get in the car,
Wait you'll pummel him or ignore him and get in your car? Which is it?

Quote:
and if he obstructs my way, I will have to do the neutralizing thing for my safety. Tell me you would allow him to block your exit.
What if he clearly has you physically over-matched (and don't give me any machismo, everyone is over-matched by someone or someday will be) and shoves you to the ground? How will you respond to that?

Quote:
Your last statement is just plain silly, so I will not entertain it.
How's it silly. Your whole argument seems to be that he deserved to be assaulted for verbally expressing to the individual that their behavior was unacceptable. He shouldn't have done that. The fact that he had the audacity to call her out and complain to her about this behavior opened him up to assault. It doesn't matter that he was RIGHT she shouldn't have been parking there. He should have minded his OWN business.

I don't want to put words into your mouth, so if this isn't your argument, please tell me where your argument differs.

Quote:
May you live forever.
You to. ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #55 (permalink)  
Old 08-15-2018, 06:11 PM
Manitou's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,730
Thanks: 403
Thanked 6,117 Times in 4,427 Posts
Default Re: Florida man shot and killed over parking spot

Re your post #54, it gave me a headache. A bit of advice, mind your own business, and use your hard-earned tax dollars' use by the police to make them work for you. For any instance of public nuisance, if there is no immediate hazard, call the police, and better yet, take a video of the act first. Regarding a no smoking area, if it's near a flammable zone, alert the property owner if you can, but first secure your party if there is any. Graffiti on a memorial? Quick, everyone. Run! Call the police. The Handicapped zone again. You really are full of what ifs. Obviously I am not going to take on a gorilla. But what if I go "Boo!", and he dies of a heart attack? Oh golly!
What if?

Bottom line, use common sense if you don't believe in minding your own business.
Reply With Quote
  #56 (permalink)  
Old 08-15-2018, 06:25 PM
Hairy Jello's Avatar
Deplorable
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,768
Thanks: 1,924
Thanked 12,616 Times in 7,932 Posts
Default Re: Florida man shot and killed over parking spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenock View Post
For me...

1. It was perfectly OK for him to confront the idiot for breaking the law and parking illegally.

2. He was assaulted. The man was NOT defending his wife/girlfriend. He was punishing the him. Nothing in his body language indicated the girl was in any danger whatsoever.

3. After being assaulted, he pulled his gun. I am OK with this. This was the appropriate action to take. He was protecting himself.

4. At this point the man seems to step away and end his assault. It's hard to know for sure, because we don't know what was said. However, I'm of the opinion he had no cause to pull the trigger and is probably guilty of manslaughter.

That being said, he was in a precarious situation. He was on the ground and had just been hit pretty hard. If the man although stepping back is still threatening him, any movement at all on his part even away from the man on the ground could seem a threat.

If the man in question was a police officer wearing a uniform talking to the lady about her illegal parking and everything went down exactly the same way, would it change your opinion on the shooting?
Pretty much my view too.
__________________

Not an accurate representation of a white person.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
and, arrest, email, fatal, florida, ground, killed, law, man, over, par, parking, prevents, says, share, sheriff, shooting, shot, spot, tand, tweet, your

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0