Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > Political Forums > Law & Order
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Law & Order Discuss Police Arrest 7-Year-Old Boy for Allegedly Punching Teacher at the Political Forums; Originally Posted by GottaGo It's not a matter of the adult 'controlling themselves'. It's a matter of defending themselves and ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2018, 09:56 AM
RedState's Avatar
Somewhat Stable Genius
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,458
Thanks: 1,060
Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,190 Posts
Default Re: Police Arrest 7-Year-Old Boy for Allegedly Punching Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
It's not a matter of the adult 'controlling themselves'. It's a matter of defending themselves and that the child understands that there are consequences for their actions.

So you feel that the child should be able to do whatever they want, with no repercussions, regardless of their actions?
What is it with you? Why do you always resort to these outrageous strawmen? No GottaGo, I don't beileve that, because I'm not an idiot. Watch I can do it too, SO YOU THINK WE SHOULD BEAT UP CHILDREN WHO DON'T FOLLOW THE RULES?

Nobody is saying an adult should not protect themselves, I am saying that as a stronger person you can stop a child without assaulting them. You can punish a child without physically harming them. I don't think that's an unreasonable thing. What the teacher did in that story was wrong. She could have handled it without resorting to further violence.
__________________
The total number of contacts between the tRUmp team
and Russia-linked operatives that we know about so far is 82.
Among these contacts were 24 meetings
. -- SOURCE --
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2018, 10:27 AM
Manitou's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,087
Thanks: 283
Thanked 5,784 Times in 4,190 Posts
Default Re: Police Arrest 7-Year-Old Boy for Allegedly Punching Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedState View Post
I think the adult who resorts to physical violence against a child because they can't control themselves is the actual snowflake.
Giving a miscreant an ass whooping is NOT physical violence, unless you go by the snowflake's definition of assault and physical violence.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2018, 12:13 PM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Posts: 12,064
Thanks: 9,891
Thanked 8,026 Times in 5,122 Posts
Default Re: Police Arrest 7-Year-Old Boy for Allegedly Punching Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedState View Post
What is it with you? Why do you always resort to these outrageous strawmen? No GottaGo, I don't beileve that, because I'm not an idiot. Watch I can do it too, SO YOU THINK WE SHOULD BEAT UP CHILDREN WHO DON'T FOLLOW THE RULES?

Nobody is saying an adult should not protect themselves, I am saying that as a stronger person you can stop a child without assaulting them. You can punish a child without physically harming them. I don't think that's an unreasonable thing. What the teacher did in that story was wrong. She could have handled it without resorting to further violence.
I don't create strawmen... you very clearly expressed that the adult was wrong, but gave no indication as to:
a. What the adult should have done
b. What the child should have done
c. How the adult might prevent the child from continuing their behavior
d. How the adult is to protect themselves, because regardless of age, a kid can pack a hellova punch, which can cause damage to another person.

So my question, based on the lack of you including anything other than you blaming the adult for 'not being able to control their emotions', is valid. A Strawman is claiming that you said something... I very clearly asked a question.
__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
If you don't laugh at yourself, a whole bunch of people will volunteer to do it for you
I never lose. I either win, or I learn....
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2018, 01:51 PM
Scholar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,723
Thanks: 7,199
Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,672 Posts
Default Re: Police Arrest 7-Year-Old Boy for Allegedly Punching Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedState View Post
Uhhhh.....assaulting children was seen as an accepted form of punishment in the 1950's by some people?
In my state we don't have Junior High schools. (Just grade schools then high schools.)
But the juvenile delinquent was not seven. He was a teenager. Not a poor little child. Some women are small some teenage boys are big. I can picture some big doofy punk wanting to hit a 5ft 2 woman. If she fought back that would hardly make her a child abuser.
Yes I understand that I don't know the particulars of the situation, but neither do you.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2018, 02:21 PM
RedState's Avatar
Somewhat Stable Genius
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,458
Thanks: 1,060
Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,190 Posts
Default Re: Police Arrest 7-Year-Old Boy for Allegedly Punching Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
I don't create strawmen...
Yes you do, very clearly you do. In nearly every post you respond to me with you create strawmen to attack.


Quote:
you very clearly expressed that the adult was wrong, but gave no indication as to:
a. What the adult should have done
b. What the child should have done
c. How the adult might prevent the child from continuing their behavior
d. How the adult is to protect themselves, because regardless of age, a kid can pack a hellova punch, which can cause damage to another person.
I was expressing a general sentiment that assaulting children is bad, you chose to respond to my statement by making assumptions about what I meant and trying to find something to argue with. These questions you have here are stupid. We already have the scenario I was responding too and talking about. But to answer your questions, how about adults using some common sense, you know, if you are a teacher and you can reasonably stop a child from acting out without harming them, then you should do that. And above all, you shouldn't slam the child "face first onto the floor and ended up on top of him with her knee on his back. Then she really twisted that arm up until he he started crying and begging to be let go. She made him say "I'm a pu**y" before she let him back up." That is criminal behavior, if you did that to an adult you could be charged with a crime. Why would you be ok with it happening to a child?



Quote:
So my question, based on the lack of you including anything other than you blaming the adult for 'not being able to control their emotions', is valid. A Strawman is claiming that you said something... I very clearly asked a question.

Definition of Strawman : an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument.


You do this all the time, I say one thing and you immediately respond by misrepresenting what I say and accusing me of meaning the most extreme and stupid thing you can imagine.
__________________
The total number of contacts between the tRUmp team
and Russia-linked operatives that we know about so far is 82.
Among these contacts were 24 meetings
. -- SOURCE --
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2018, 03:06 PM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Posts: 12,064
Thanks: 9,891
Thanked 8,026 Times in 5,122 Posts
Default Re: Police Arrest 7-Year-Old Boy for Allegedly Punching Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedState View Post
Yes you do, very clearly you do. In nearly every post you respond to me with you create strawmen to attack.

I was expressing a general sentiment that assaulting children is bad, you chose to respond to my statement by making assumptions about what I meant and trying to find something to argue with. These questions you have here are stupid. We already have the scenario I was responding too and talking about. But to answer your questions, how about adults using some common sense, you know, if you are a teacher and you can reasonably stop a child from acting out without harming them, then you should do that. And above all, you shouldn't slam the child "face first onto the floor and ended up on top of him with her knee on his back. Then she really twisted that arm up until he he started crying and begging to be let go. She made him say "I'm a pu**y" before she let him back up." That is criminal behavior, if you did that to an adult you could be charged with a crime. Why would you be ok with it happening to a child?



Definition of Strawman : an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument.


You do this all the time, I say one thing and you immediately respond by misrepresenting what I say and accusing me of meaning the most extreme and stupid thing you can imagine.
Obviously you don't understand what a question is - you know, something that is followed by one of these: ?

Since you clearly laid the blame on the adult for not being able to 'control' themselves, offered no statement (at that time) as to what could have been done to contain a violent child, intimated that no one should have touched the child (abuse) I asked a question. I did not make an assumption, I asked A QUESTION.

Only after my post did you say anything other than the adult should be able to control themselves.

If you'll read back, you might actually find where I stated I felt it was excessive, though it may have been justified because people, regardless of age, have a right to defend themselves. Today is also not the 1950s, which is the event that Bat posted about.
__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
If you don't laugh at yourself, a whole bunch of people will volunteer to do it for you
I never lose. I either win, or I learn....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
7yearold, allegedly, arrest, boy, for, police, punching, teacher

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0