Political Wrinkles

Political Wrinkles (http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/)
-   International Forum (http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/international-forum/)
-   -   Top EU figure: Trump is ‘undermining’ world order the US created (http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/international-forum/55047-top-eu-figure-trump-undermining-world-order-us-created.html)

saltwn 06-08-2018 09:14 PM

Top EU figure: Trump is ‘undermining’ world order the US created
 
http://thehill.com/regulation/intern...ed-world-order

In other news water's wet

“The rules-based international order is being challenged ... not by the usual suspects but by its main architect and guarantor, the U.S.,” Donald Tusk, president of the European Commission, told reporters at a news conference according to The Washington Post. The conference took place ahead of the Group of Seven summit in Canada.

“We will not stop trying to convince our American friends and President Trump that undermining this order makes no sense at all, because it would only play into the hands of those who seek a new, post-West order, where liberal democracy and fundamental freedoms would cease to exist," he said.
Tusk spoke just hours after Trump had suggested Russia be reinstated into the group — a suggestion that garnered bipartisan condemnation.

“This is weak,” said Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.), a vocal Trump critic. “Putin is not our friend and he is not the president's buddy. He is a thug using Soviet-style aggression to wage a shadow war against America, and our leaders should act like it.”

“Putin’s Russia invaded its neighbors, violated our sovereignty by undermining elections, and attacks dissidents abroad,” former Vice President Joe Biden wrote on Twitter. “Yet our President wants to reward him with a seat at the table while alienating our closest democratic allies. It makes no sense.”

Russia was ousted from the then-Group of Eight in 2014 after annexing Crimea and supporting pro-Moscow separatists in eastern Ukraine.

Tusk, in response to Trump's comments, suggested leaving the G-7 as it is.

“Naturally we cannot force the U.S. to change its mind," he said. "Of course we are open to reasonable arguments, whenever something doesn’t function well. There is always room for debate. Even in difficult times like these, and despite all the differences, there is still much more that unites us, than divides us. It is far too early for our adversaries and enemies to celebrate.”

Tusk's comments come amid heightened conflict between Trump and other members of the G-7 over trade, climate change and the Iran nuclear deal.

On Thursday, French President Emmanuel Macron delivered a fiery message to Trump that promised to resist "hegemony" and stated that no leader "is forever."

“The six countries of the G-7, without the United States, are a bigger market taken together than the American market," Macron said during a joint press conference with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in Ottawa, Ontario. “There will be no world hegemony if we know how to organize ourselves. And we don’t want there to be one."

Last week, Trump sent shockwaves across the EU, Mexico and Canada — where the annual G-7 summit is being held this weekend — when he implemented stiff tariffs on steel and aluminum imports from the group, rolling back temporary exemptions.

Shortly after Trump's announcement, each responded with rhetoric condemning the president's decision to move forward with tariffs before announcing their own retaliatory measures against the U.S.

Macron reportedly told Trump that the tariffs were equal to "economic nationalism" and would penalize everyone, including the U.S.

Trudeau dubbed the tariffs an "affront," given Canada's deep-rooted ties to the U.S.

"These tariffs are an affront to the long-standing security partnership between Canada and the United States, and in particular, to the thousands of Canadians who have fought and died alongside American comrades-in-arms," he said.

jimbo 06-08-2018 11:05 PM

Re: Top EU figure: Trump is ‘undermining’ world order the US created
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by saltwn (Post 936356)
http://thehill.com/regulation/intern...ed-world-order

In other news water's wet

“The rules-based international order is being challenged ... not by the usual suspects but by its main architect and guarantor, the U.S.,” Donald Tusk, president of the European Commission, told reporters at a news conference according to The Washington Post. The conference took place ahead of the Group of Seven summit in Canada.

“We will not stop trying to convince our American friends and President Trump that undermining this order makes no sense at all, because it would only play into the hands of those who seek a new, post-West order, where liberal democracy and fundamental freedoms would cease to exist," he said.
Tusk spoke just hours after Trump had suggested Russia be reinstated into the group — a suggestion that garnered bipartisan condemnation.

“This is weak,” said Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.), a vocal Trump critic. “Putin is not our friend and he is not the president's buddy. He is a thug using Soviet-style aggression to wage a shadow war against America, and our leaders should act like it.”

“Putin’s Russia invaded its neighbors, violated our sovereignty by undermining elections, and attacks dissidents abroad,” former Vice President Joe Biden wrote on Twitter. “Yet our President wants to reward him with a seat at the table while alienating our closest democratic allies. It makes no sense.”

Russia was ousted from the then-Group of Eight in 2014 after annexing Crimea and supporting pro-Moscow separatists in eastern Ukraine.

Tusk, in response to Trump's comments, suggested leaving the G-7 as it is.

“Naturally we cannot force the U.S. to change its mind," he said. "Of course we are open to reasonable arguments, whenever something doesn’t function well. There is always room for debate. Even in difficult times like these, and despite all the differences, there is still much more that unites us, than divides us. It is far too early for our adversaries and enemies to celebrate.”

Tusk's comments come amid heightened conflict between Trump and other members of the G-7 over trade, climate change and the Iran nuclear deal.

On Thursday, French President Emmanuel Macron delivered a fiery message to Trump that promised to resist "hegemony" and stated that no leader "is forever."

“The six countries of the G-7, without the United States, are a bigger market taken together than the American market," Macron said during a joint press conference with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in Ottawa, Ontario. “There will be no world hegemony if we know how to organize ourselves. And we don’t want there to be one."

Last week, Trump sent shockwaves across the EU, Mexico and Canada — where the annual G-7 summit is being held this weekend — when he implemented stiff tariffs on steel and aluminum imports from the group, rolling back temporary exemptions.

Shortly after Trump's announcement, each responded with rhetoric condemning the president's decision to move forward with tariffs before announcing their own retaliatory measures against the U.S.

Macron reportedly told Trump that the tariffs were equal to "economic nationalism" and would penalize everyone, including the U.S.

Trudeau dubbed the tariffs an "affront," given Canada's deep-rooted ties to the U.S.

"These tariffs are an affront to the long-standing security partnership between Canada and the United States, and in particular, to the thousands of Canadians who have fought and died alongside American comrades-in-arms," he said.

Thank you Donald. About time the US started worrying about the US and let the rest of the world worry about themselves.

saltwn 06-08-2018 11:18 PM

Re: Top EU figure: Trump is ‘undermining’ world order the US created
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbo (Post 936360)
Thank you Donald. About time the US started worrying about the US and let the rest of the world worry about themselves.

Thank you for replying, zero content though your post was, it let me know I had already started this thread. :wave
kissy-kissy :p

AZRWinger 06-09-2018 12:02 PM

Re: Top EU figure: Trump is ‘undermining’ world order the US created
 
Gee what a surprise, the European commission wants to keep the US under the thumb of their bureaucrats. ;) Nothing like hysterical pronouncements of abandoning all rules of ordered trade when Trump presses for American interests by the G7 or bilateral trade agreements. But the blind hatred for Trump by the Resistance dictates opposition to changes to the status quo favoring the Europeans. :rolls

The US is easily the single largest member of the G7. To suggest the Lilliputians of Europe will turn away from the US market is nonsense.

FrancSevin 06-09-2018 01:47 PM

Re: Top EU figure: Trump is ‘undermining’ world order the US created
 
I have a one word answer for the title subject accusation...;


GOOD!

saltwn 06-09-2018 06:21 PM

Re: Top EU figure: Trump is ‘undermining’ world order the US created
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrancSevin (Post 936380)
I have a one word answer for the title subject accusation...;


GOOD!

even though
Russia was ousted from the then-Group of Eight in 2014 after annexing Crimea and supporting pro-Moscow separatists in eastern Ukraine and trump now wants them back in?
you agree with that? :crazy

FrancSevin 06-09-2018 07:56 PM

Re: Top EU figure: Trump is ‘undermining’ world order the US created
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by saltwn (Post 936408)
even though
Russia was ousted from the then-Group of Eight in 2014 after annexing Crimea and supporting pro-Moscow separatists in eastern Ukraine and trump now wants them back in?
you agree with that? :crazy

I have no idea of the connection you are making in this post. Do you even understand what the term "World Order" means?

The UE ve Brexit is about the failure of such concepts to provide lasting prosperity and regional freedoms. Much less personal freedoms. We now see this example in our life time. If the small like minded UE nations of Europe could not hold trade and social relations for more that 20 years or so, what chance for the whole planet?

There is no historical precedence model for a world order that would not be indicative of a Orwellian outcome. Quite the opposite.

Whilst the concept that world peace would supposedly come with a world order it is not in the nature of Humans to be subjugated enough for such "order" to succeed without loss of personal freedoms. Our own democratic Republic has proven this point in just a little over 230 years.

man's desire to be free will hamper and interrupt any such progressivisms.

I presume you don't mind ordering people around to your value system. But many of us mind very much being ordered about. I'll not debate the merits of that human trait. Good or bad, right or wrong, since the time of Cain and Able,,,; it is a fact of the human condition.

saltwn 06-09-2018 08:46 PM

Re: Top EU figure: Trump is ‘undermining’ world order the US created
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrancSevin (Post 936417)
I have no idea of the connection you are making in this post. Do you even understand what the term "World Order" means?
not what you think it means; they are talking about the way things work already to the benefit of us and our allies; i.e., he is upsetting the order of things that are good
The UE ve Brexit is about the failure of such concepts to provide lasting prosperity and regional freedoms. Much less personal freedoms. We now see this example in our life time. If the small like minded UE nations of Europe could not hold trade and social relations for more that 20 years or so, what chance for the whole planet?
I wasn't fond of brexit either but looks like it was good for England and they are w paying the price while trying to get back in
There is no historical precedence model for a world order that would not be indicative of a Orwellian outcome. Quite the opposite.

Whilst the concept that world peace would supposedly come with a world order it is not in the nature of Humans to be subjugated enough for such "order" to succeed without loss of personal freedoms. Our own democratic Republic has proven this point in just a little over 230 years.

man's desire to be free will hamper and interrupt any such progressivisms.

I presume you don't mind ordering people around to your value system. But many of us mind very much being ordered about. I'll not debate the merits of that human trait. Good or bad, right or wrong, since the time of Cain and Able,,,; it is a fact of the human condition.

yada yada yada

see above


Yes I was commenting on his speech in which he mentioned G7 shroud be GB again with Russia back in although they haven't changed their ways.
But yeah his trade polices are sh*t

FrancSevin 06-09-2018 10:45 PM

Re: Top EU figure: Trump is ‘undermining’ world order the US created
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by saltwn (Post 936429)
yada yada yada

see above


Yes I was commenting on his speech in which he mentioned G7 shroud be GB again with Russia back in although they haven't changed their ways.
But yeah his trade polices are sh*t

So you think the world would be better if we ignored and shut out the Russians? Such diplomacy is, to me, the opposite of working for a peaceful world.

So far, Trump's trade policies haven't effected any trade. The Canadian and European responses are just bluster.

What President Trump is executing is his promise to the American people to put the interests of our nation first. That's why he got elected. To say such thinking is "sh!t" is to say the opinions expressed by the American people in November 2016 are "sh!t" Whilst that may or may not be true, or even good for the nation, he is representing the expressed interests of the people who got him elected. I believe when it was first constructed, that's what the Founders had in mind for the nation.

As for me, I believe it is about time we negotiated for a level playing field before our trade deficits run us out of money. For those who cannot do simple math, I have no explanation, of why that is important, with which they can understand.

saltwn 06-09-2018 11:28 PM

Re: Top EU figure: Trump is ‘undermining’ world order the US created
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrancSevin (Post 936434)
So you think the world would be better if we ignored and shut out the Russians? Such diplomacy is, to me, the opposite of working for a peaceful world.

So far, Trump's trade policies haven't effected any trade. The Canadian and European responses are just bluster.

What President Trump is executing is his promise to the American people to put the interests of our nation first. That's why he got elected. To say such thinking is "sh!t" is to say the opinions expressed by the American people in November 2016 are "sh!t" Whilst that may or may not be true, or even good for the nation, he is representing the expressed interests of the people who got him elected. I believe when it was first constructed, that's what the Founders had in mind for the nation.

As for me, I believe it is about time we negotiated for a level playing field before our trade deficits run us out of money. For those who cannot do simple math, I have no explanation, of why that is important, with which they can understand.

we haven't been ignoring Russia. we kicked them out of G8 for invading two other countries. we imposed sanctions on them and expelled their dignitaries when they were found to be spies.
That IS diplomacy


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0