Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > Political Forums > History, Geography, & Military
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Geography, & Military Discuss U.S. Boots on the Ground in Libya, Pentagon Confirms at the Political Forums; Another Obama statement with an expiration date... U.S. Boots on the Ground in Libya, Pentagon Confirms Despite repeated assurances from ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2011, 01:22 PM
cnredd's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Gender: Male
Posts: 43,190
Thanks: 1,246
Thanked 22,153 Times in 13,774 Posts
Default U.S. Boots on the Ground in Libya, Pentagon Confirms

Another Obama statement with an expiration date...

U.S. Boots on the Ground in Libya, Pentagon Confirms

Quote:
Despite repeated assurances from President Obama and military leaders that the U.S. would not send uniformed military personnel into Libya, four U.S. service members arrived on the ground in Tripoli over the weekend.

According to Pentagon spokesman Capt. John Kirby, the four unidentified troops are there working under the State Department's chief of mission to assist in rebuilding the U.S. Embassy.

Kirby noted the embassy in Tripoli was badly damaged during the conflict between Muammar Qaddafi's forces and the rebels.

Two of the military personnel are explosive-ordnance experts who will be used to disable any explosives traps left in the embassy. The other two are "general security," according to Kirby.
__________________
"You get the respect that you give" - cnredd
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Comet's Avatar
My God it's full of stars
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Earth
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,670
Thanks: 3,370
Thanked 5,288 Times in 3,402 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Comet
Default Re: U.S. Boots on the Ground in Libya, Pentagon Confirms

Right now it is just four men. I hope more do not join them. We do not need to be there on the ground.
__________________

"The oldest picture book in our possession is the midnight sky" - E. W. Maunder
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2011, 01:38 PM
dabateman's Avatar
Common Sense-Common Good
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 15,593
Thanks: 2,047
Thanked 8,155 Times in 4,762 Posts
Default Re: U.S. Boots on the Ground in Libya, Pentagon Confirms

Dear Sweet Jesus...

By all rights they aren't "in Libya". They are on American soil. They are rebuilding the freaking American Embassy. By this logic, we have boots on the ground in China.

GET A FREAKING GRIP.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cash
You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Close the door on the past. You don't try to forget the mistakes, but you don't dwell on it. You don't let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dabateman For This Useful Post:
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2011, 01:56 PM
dabateman's Avatar
Common Sense-Common Good
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 15,593
Thanks: 2,047
Thanked 8,155 Times in 4,762 Posts
Default Re: U.S. Boots on the Ground in Libya, Pentagon Confirms

On another note, this is Fox News being deceitful yet again.

They want to make this seem as if it's contrary what the President said, but to be quite frank, it is obviously NOT. These are not combat troops, these are not advisers to the rebels. These are EMBASSY PERSONNEL, personnel that would be found in any US Embassy around the world.

I'm disappointed in Fox News, but that's nothing new. I'm more disappointed in those who want to propagate the bull**** they've expressed in their deceit. Posting threads like this that are so obviously detached from reality only negates the credibility of the poster.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cash
You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Close the door on the past. You don't try to forget the mistakes, but you don't dwell on it. You don't let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dabateman For This Useful Post:
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2011, 02:46 PM
Mikeyy's Avatar
World Traveler
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: What day is it?
Posts: 42,377
Thanks: 12,135
Thanked 12,938 Times in 9,238 Posts
Default Re: U.S. Boots on the Ground in Libya, Pentagon Confirms

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabateman View Post
On another note, this is Fox News being deceitful yet again.

They want to make this seem as if it's contrary what the President said, but to be quite frank, it is obviously NOT. These are not combat troops, these are not advisers to the rebels. These are EMBASSY PERSONNEL, personnel that would be found in any US Embassy around the world.

I'm disappointed in Fox News, but that's nothing new. I'm more disappointed in those who want to propagate the bull**** they've expressed in their deceit. Posting threads like this that are so obviously detached from reality only negates the credibility of the poster.
I'm sure the author of the thread was hopeful though.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2011, 02:53 PM
Idealogically Promiscuous's Avatar
It's Obama's Fault
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Francisco, Ca
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,609
Thanks: 3,541
Thanked 5,708 Times in 3,360 Posts
Default Re: U.S. Boots on the Ground in Libya, Pentagon Confirms

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnredd View Post
Another Obama statement with an expiration date...

U.S. Boots on the Ground in Libya, Pentagon Confirms
Really? So 4 men go to help rebuild our own embassy...mainly used from a technical perspective and you're going to call that "boots on the ground" and get all butthurt about it?

I don't like Obama one bit but this is ridiculous. Absolutely ****ing ridiculous.
__________________
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until they speak.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Idealogically Promiscuous For This Useful Post:
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2011, 03:06 PM
Comet's Avatar
My God it's full of stars
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Earth
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,670
Thanks: 3,370
Thanked 5,288 Times in 3,402 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Comet
Default Re: U.S. Boots on the Ground in Libya, Pentagon Confirms

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabateman View Post
They want to make this seem as if it's contrary what the President said, but to be quite frank, it is obviously NOT. These are not combat troops, these are not advisers to the rebels. These are EMBASSY PERSONNEL, personnel that would be found in any US Embassy around the world.
Dabateman makes an extremely good point. Can anyone counter his argument?
__________________

"The oldest picture book in our possession is the midnight sky" - E. W. Maunder
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2011, 03:18 PM
cnredd's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Gender: Male
Posts: 43,190
Thanks: 1,246
Thanked 22,153 Times in 13,774 Posts
Default Re: U.S. Boots on the Ground in Libya, Pentagon Confirms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
Dabateman makes an extremely good point. Can anyone counter his argument?
Sure...

We were expressly told "NO boots on the ground."....

I took it to mean "No boots on the ground." and not "No boots on the ground with exceptions."...Stupid me...

If there were situations to arise where there were exceptions, then he should've SAID them instead of putting a period at the end of his statement...

We have 4 soldiers???...And that's gonna prevent a few thousand protesters if they choose to run roughshod over the embassy?...

No...The answer is "Put MANY troops on the ground so they can defend each other." or "Put NO troops on the ground so there's no one to defend."...

The latter would mean (probably) the loss of the embassy, but the former (which is WAY more logical) would destroy his "No boots on the ground." argument...

So just like always, he cut the baby in half and put a small few in INCREDIBLE danger in an attempt to put boots on the ground, and still have the dabatemans of the world defend him with cries of "That don't count!" (It never counts when it comes to Obama, whether it's the loss of jobs, the economy, or war...It's always "different")...

Remember Black Hawk Down?...That's the recipe here...I pray there isn't a 2.0...
__________________
"You get the respect that you give" - cnredd
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2011, 03:35 PM
mlurp's Avatar
INDEPENDENT
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,444
Thanks: 14,216
Thanked 7,610 Times in 5,996 Posts
Default Re: U.S. Boots on the Ground in Libya, Pentagon Confirms

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnredd View Post
Another Obama statement with an expiration date...

Despite repeated assurances from President Obama and military leaders that the U.S. would not send uniformed military personnel into Libya, four U.S. service members arrived on the ground in Tripoli over the weekend.

According to Pentagon spokesman Capt. John Kirby, the four unidentified troops are there working under the State Department's chief of mission to assist in rebuilding the U.S. Embassy.

Kirby noted the embassy in Tripoli was badly damaged during the conflict between Muammar Qaddafi's forces and the rebels.

Two of the military personnel are explosive-ordnance experts who will be used to disable any explosives traps left in the embassy. The other two are "general security," according to Kirby.

U.S. Boots on the Ground in Libya, Pentagon Confirms
These 4 are just an advance team to clear any possible traps. I sure hope the engineers aren't called up to rebuild this Embassy.

Yet sending in these 4 experts doesn't sound right to me unless more troops will be sent, which I sure hope not...
__________________
"There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation... One is by sword... The other is by debt."

John Adams 1826
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2011, 06:13 PM
dabateman's Avatar
Common Sense-Common Good
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 15,593
Thanks: 2,047
Thanked 8,155 Times in 4,762 Posts
Default Re: U.S. Boots on the Ground in Libya, Pentagon Confirms

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnredd View Post
Sure...

We were expressly told "NO boots on the ground."....

I took it to mean "No boots on the ground." and not "No boots on the ground with exceptions."...Stupid me...
Yes. Stupid you. If you would have thought about it for HALF A SECOND, you would have realized that there are military personnel at every embassy we have around the world. So having some military personnel at a base is STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE. In addition, the ground that those individuals are standing on is AMERICAN SOIL. There are no boots on Libyan ground, just American ground.

Quote:
If there were situations to arise where there were exceptions, then he should've SAID them instead of putting a period at the end of his statement...
The President and every other reasonable person thought that this was understood. You're telling me that you really thought that boots on the ground included military personnel stationed at the embassy? If that is what you thought, then we have boots on the ground in the following countries...

Angola
Benin
Botswana
Burkina Faso
Burundi
Cameroon
Cape Verde
Central African Republic
Chad
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Equatorial Guinea
Eritrea
Ethiopia
Gabon
Ghana
Guinea
Ivory Coast
Kenya
Lesotho
Liberia
Madagascar
Malawi
Mali
Mauritania
Mauritius
Mozambique
Namibia
Niger
Nigeria
Republic of the Congo
Republic of Djibouti
Rwanda
Senegal Sierra Leone
South Africa
South Sudan
Sudan
Swaziland
Tanzania
The Gambia
Togo
Uganda
Zambia
Zimbabwe

AND, that's just in Africa!!! Wow, we have boots on the ground in nearly EVERY AFRICAN NATION by your standard. So either you weren't thinking before you posted, or we are left to infer some other intent.

Quote:
We have 4 soldiers???...And that's gonna prevent a few thousand protesters if they choose to run roughshod over the embassy?...
I'm sure that 4 will not be the final compliment. As it isn't in London or virtually any other embassy.

Quote:
No...The answer is "Put MANY troops on the ground so they can defend each other." or "Put NO troops on the ground so there's no one to defend."...
It's not either or. Put many or put none. You can put few and still get the job done especially with the proper training and weaponry.

Quote:
The latter would mean (probably) the loss of the embassy, but the former (which is WAY more logical) would destroy his "No boots on the ground." argument...
Actually, given the full scope of the situation, it is far more logical for us to maintain the embassy. We want to keep a good pulse on the situation and protect American interests.

Quote:
So just like always, he cut the baby in half and put a small few in INCREDIBLE danger in an attempt to put boots on the ground, and still have the dabatemans of the world defend him with cries of "That don't count!" (It never counts when it comes to Obama, whether it's the loss of jobs, the economy, or war...It's always "different")...
The dabatemans of the world who, after using common sense and reason, came to a reasonable conclusion. That everyone else seems to agree with instead of agreeing with your position.

Quote:
Remember Black Hawk Down?...That's the recipe here...I pray there isn't a 2.0...
Remember how the Republicans spend like drunk monkeys during the Bush Administration, that's the recipe here. Don't vote for them else there will be a repeat.

I love your logic and love applying to other sets of facts!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cash
You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Close the door on the past. You don't try to forget the mistakes, but you don't dwell on it. You don't let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
boots, confirms, ground, libya, pentagon, the

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0