Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Discussion > Health, Wellness, Sex and Body
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health, Wellness, Sex and Body Discuss The Key to Defeating COVID-19 Already Exists. We Need to Start Using It at the General Discussion; The Key to Defeating COVID-19 Already Exists. We Need to Start Using It As professor of epidemiology at Yale School ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2020, 07:35 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,354
Thanks: 8,988
Thanked 6,470 Times in 3,705 Posts
Default The Key to Defeating COVID-19 Already Exists. We Need to Start Using It

Quote:
The Key to Defeating COVID-19 Already Exists. We Need to Start Using It


As professor of epidemiology at Yale School of Public Health, I have authored over 300 peer-reviewed publications and currently hold senior positions on the editorial boards of several leading journals. I am usually accustomed to advocating for positions within the mainstream of medicine, so have been flummoxed to find that, in the midst of a crisis, I am fighting for a treatment that the data fully support but which, for reasons having nothing to do with a correct understanding of the science, has been pushed to the sidelines. As a result, tens of thousands of patients with COVID-19 are dying unnecessarily. Fortunately, the situation can be reversed easily and quickly.

I am referring, of course, to the medication hydroxychloroquine. When this inexpensive oral medication is given very early in the course of illness, before the virus has had time to multiply beyond control, it has shown to be highly effective, especially when given in combination with the antibiotics azithromycin or doxycycline and the nutritional supplement zinc.

On May 27, I published an article in the American Journal of Epidemiology (AJE) entitled, "Early Outpatient Treatment of Symptomatic, High-Risk COVID-19 Patients that Should be Ramped-Up Immediately as Key to the Pandemic Crisis." That article, published in the world's leading epidemiology journal, analyzed five studies, demonstrating clear-cut and significant benefits to treated patients, plus other very large studies that showed the medication safety.

Physicians who have been using these medications in the face of widespread skepticism have been truly heroic. They have done what the science shows is best for their patients, often at great personal risk. I myself know of two doctors who have saved the lives of hundreds of patients with these medications, but are now fighting state medical boards to save their licenses and reputations. The cases against them are completely without scientific merit.

Since publication of my May 27 article, seven more studies have demonstrated similar benefit. In a lengthy follow-up letter, also published by AJE, I discuss these seven studies and renew my call for the immediate early use of hydroxychloroquine in high-risk patients. These seven studies include: an additional 400 high-risk patients treated by Dr. Vladimir Zelenko, with zero deaths; four studies totaling almost 500 high-risk patients treated in nursing homes and clinics across the U.S., with no deaths; a controlled trial of more than 700 high-risk patients in Brazil, with significantly reduced risk of hospitalization and two deaths among 334 patients treated with hydroxychloroquine; and another study of 398 matched patients in France, also with significantly reduced hospitalization risk. Since my letter was published, even more doctors have reported to me their completely successful use.

My original article in the AJE is available free online, and I encourage readers—especially physicians, nurses, physician assistants and associates, and respiratory therapists—to search the title and read it. My follow-up letter is linked there to the original paper.

Beyond these studies of individual patients, we have seen what happens in large populations when these drugs are used. These have been "natural experiments." In the northern Brazil state of Pará, COVID-19 deaths were increasing exponentially. On April 6, the public hospital network purchased 75,000 doses of azithromycin and 90,000 doses of hydroxychloroquine. Over the next few weeks, authorities began distributing these medications to infected individuals. Even though new cases continued to occur, on May 22 the death rate started to plummet and is now about one-eighth what it was at the peak.

A reverse natural experiment happened in Switzerland. On May 27, the Swiss national government banned outpatient use of hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19. Around June 10, COVID-19 deaths increased four-fold and remained elevated. On June 11, the Swiss government revoked the ban, and on June 23 the death rate reverted to what it had been beforehand. People who die from COVID-19 live about three to five weeks from the start of symptoms, which makes the evidence of a causal relation in these experiments strong. Both episodes suggest that a combination of hydroxychloroquine and its companion medications reduces mortality and should be immediately adopted as the new standard of care in high-risk patients.

Why has hydroxychloroquine been disregarded?

First, as all know, the medication has become highly politicized. For many, it is viewed as a marker of political identity, on both sides of the political spectrum. Nobody needs me to remind them that this is not how medicine should proceed. We must judge this medication strictly on the science. When doctors graduate from medical school, they formally promise to make the health and life of the patient their first consideration, without biases of race, religion, nationality, social standing—or political affiliation. Lives must come first.

Second, the drug has not been used properly in many studies. Hydroxychloroquine has shown major success when used early in high-risk people but, as one would expect for an antiviral, much less success when used late in the disease course. Even so, it has demonstrated significant benefit in large hospital studies in Michigan and New York City when started within the first 24 to 48 hours after admission.

In fact, as inexpensive, oral and widely available medications, and a nutritional supplement, the combination of hydroxychloroquine, azithromycin or doxycycline, and zinc are well-suited for early treatment in the outpatient setting. The combination should be prescribed in high-risk patients immediately upon clinical suspicion of COVID-19 disease, without waiting for results of testing. Delays in waiting before starting the medications can reduce their efficacy.

Third, concerns have been raised by the FDA and others about risks of cardiac arrhythmia, especially when hydroxychloroquine is given in combination with azithromycin. The FDA based its comments on data in its FDA Adverse Event Reporting System. This reporting system captured up to a thousand cases of arrhythmias attributed to hydroxychloroquine use. In fact, the number is likely higher than that, since the reporting system, which requires physicians or patients to initiate contact with the FDA, appreciably undercounts drug side effects.

But what the FDA did not announce is that these adverse events were generated from tens of millions of patient uses of hydroxychloroquine for long periods of time, often for the chronic treatment of lupus or rheumatoid arthritis. Even if the true rates of arrhythmia are ten-fold higher than those reported, the harms would be minuscule compared to the mortality occurring right now in inadequately treated high-risk COVID-19 patients. This fact is proven by an Oxford University study of more than 320,000 older patients taking both hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin, who had arrhythmia excess death rates of less than 9/100,000 users, as I discuss in my May 27 paper cited above. A new paper in the American Journal of Medicine by established cardiologists around the world fully agrees with this.

In the future, I believe this misbegotten episode regarding hydroxychloroquine will be studied by sociologists of medicine as a classic example of how extra-scientific factors overrode clear-cut medical evidence. But for now, reality demands a clear, scientific eye on the evidence and where it points. For the sake of high-risk patients, for the sake of our parents and grandparents, for the sake of the unemployed, for our economy and for our polity, especially those disproportionally affected, we must start treating immediately.
https://www.newsweek.com/key-defeati...pinion-1519535

Currently, the left in this country is so focused on ousting Trump from office that they will do anything to discredit him. And being as early on in the DemPanic, he promoted the use of hydroxychloroquine, the left has come to view that drug as being tied to Trump is doing anything to discredit it in the belief that it in turn, discredits Trump.

I wonder how many Covid deaths could have been prevented had left wing politicians and unelected state officials had not discouraged or banned the use of this drug? These people should be tried for putting their political views ahead of their duty to work in the interest of the people of their state. It is sickening that these partisan hacks acted this way.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GetAClue For This Useful Post:
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2020, 12:32 PM
FrancSevin's Avatar
Runs with scissors
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: St Louis MO
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,808
Thanks: 10,197
Thanked 13,776 Times in 7,519 Posts
Default Re: The Key to Defeating COVID-19 Already Exists. We Need to Start Using It

If Hydroxychloroquine were given en-masse prophylactical, it would likely save thousands from suffering or death. I might well be attributed to Trump and he would win the November election.
The campaign against it's use is as simple, and mendacious, as that.

Imagine a state governor asking for Hospital ships and Convention centers converted for en-masse COVID-19 treatment centers only to ignore their use and instead sent patients to old folks homes for treatment and recovery.
The campaign against Trump is as simple, and mendacious, as that.

This is not about the safety of the people but instead a pogrom employed to win a Presidential election. This no matter who dies in the process.

Ad we thought only Marxist/Maoist communist nations did this kind of pogroms'.
__________________
I am going to hang a Batman Costume in my closet. .......... Just to screw with myself when I get alzheimer's.
sola gratia, sola fide, sola scriptura.

I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN, I AM A FREEMAN, THE DEMOCRATS WORST NIGHTMARE
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FrancSevin For This Useful Post:
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2020, 01:21 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 83,292
Thanks: 56,006
Thanked 26,469 Times in 18,963 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: The Key to Defeating COVID-19 Already Exists. We Need to Start Using It

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
https://www.newsweek.com/key-defeati...pinion-1519535

Currently, the left in this country is so focused on ousting Trump from office that they will do anything to discredit him. And being as early on in the DemPanic, he promoted the use of hydroxychloroquine, the left has come to view that drug as being tied to Trump is doing anything to discredit it in the belief that it in turn, discredits Trump.

I wonder how many Covid deaths could have been prevented had left wing politicians and unelected state officials had not discouraged or banned the use of this drug? These people should be tried for putting their political views ahead of their duty to work in the interest of the people of their state. It is sickening that these partisan hacks acted this way.
Or you could just stay off the conspiracy networks and listen to the health experts, including probably your own doctor.
__________________
Khartoum has been facing heavy pressure and “blackmail” from the US administration to normalize relations with Israel in return for removing Sudan from the list of state sponsors of terrorism...~Jerusalem Post
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2020, 01:26 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 83,292
Thanks: 56,006
Thanked 26,469 Times in 18,963 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: The Key to Defeating COVID-19 Already Exists. We Need to Start Using It

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancSevin View Post
If Hydroxychloroquine were given en-masse prophylactical, it would likely save thousands from suffering or death. I might well be attributed to Trump and he would win the November election.
The campaign against it's use is as simple, and mendacious, as that.

Imagine a state governor asking for Hospital ships and Convention centers converted for en-masse COVID-19 treatment centers only to ignore their use and instead sent patients to old folks homes for treatment and recovery.
The campaign against Trump is as simple, and mendacious, as that.

This is not about the safety of the people but instead a pogrom employed to win a Presidential election. This no matter who dies in the process.

Ad we thought only Marxist/Maoist communist nations did this kind of pogroms'.
my eyes are getting tired of rolling them at y'all's posts

hydroxy is basically quinine an old and established malaria drug. it has many side effects that must be weighed against its health benefits. my uncle Earl caught malaria back in the 50s and took quinine the rest f his life. he died in his fifties with a heart attack that may or may not have been exacerbated by the f\drug.
all the present day experts say there is little to no benefit at all to covid-19.

trump touts it because he's either a dum bass or has an investment in it.
__________________
Khartoum has been facing heavy pressure and “blackmail” from the US administration to normalize relations with Israel in return for removing Sudan from the list of state sponsors of terrorism...~Jerusalem Post
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2020, 02:27 PM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,354
Thanks: 8,988
Thanked 6,470 Times in 3,705 Posts
Default Re: The Key to Defeating COVID-19 Already Exists. We Need to Start Using It

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
Or you could just stay off the conspiracy networks and listen to the health experts, including probably your own doctor.
The author of the article is a widely respected professor of epidemiology at Yale School of Public Health. He is hardly a conspiracy theorist. But we know how you operate. If it is good and doesn't harm bad Orange Man, it must be a conspiracy.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2020, 02:30 PM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,354
Thanks: 8,988
Thanked 6,470 Times in 3,705 Posts
Default Re: The Key to Defeating COVID-19 Already Exists. We Need to Start Using It

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
my eyes are getting tired of rolling them at y'all's posts

hydroxy is basically quinine an old and established malaria drug. it has many side effects that must be weighed against its health benefits. my uncle Earl caught malaria back in the 50s and took quinine the rest f his life. he died in his fifties with a heart attack that may or may not have been exacerbated by the f\drug.
all the present day experts say there is little to no benefit at all to covid-19.

trump touts it because he's either a dum bass or has an investment in it.
Then if you contract the virus, by all means, don't take it.

As for your anecdote concerning your father, you say he took quinine the rest of his life. That is hardly the protocol being advocated for in this case. Perhaps instead of giving us your worn out, baseless examples as though they are relevant, you may want to read the article with an objective mind.

However, if you had an objective bone in your body, you would not be quite the partisan shill than you seem to be.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GetAClue For This Useful Post:
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2020, 05:07 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 83,292
Thanks: 56,006
Thanked 26,469 Times in 18,963 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: The Key to Defeating COVID-19 Already Exists. We Need to Start Using It

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
Then if you contract the virus, by all means, don't take it.

As for your anecdote concerning your father, you say he took quinine the rest of his life. That is hardly the protocol being advocated for in this case. Perhaps instead of giving us your worn out, baseless examples as though they are relevant, you may want to read the article with an objective mind.

However, if you had an objective bone in your body, you would not be quite the partisan shill than you seem to be.
proof you don't read.
uncle

objective people look for facts or guidelines from experts in a field
subjective people look in conspiracy rags and aunt jima's emails.
__________________
Khartoum has been facing heavy pressure and “blackmail” from the US administration to normalize relations with Israel in return for removing Sudan from the list of state sponsors of terrorism...~Jerusalem Post
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2020, 09:57 PM
FrancSevin's Avatar
Runs with scissors
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: St Louis MO
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,808
Thanks: 10,197
Thanked 13,776 Times in 7,519 Posts
Default Re: The Key to Defeating COVID-19 Already Exists. We Need to Start Using It

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
my eyes are getting tired of rolling them at y'all's posts

hydroxy is basically quinine an old and established malaria drug. it has many side effects that must be weighed against its health benefits. my uncle Earl caught malaria back in the 50s and took quinine the rest f his life. he died in his fifties with a heart attack that may or may not have been exacerbated by the f\drug.
all the present day experts say there is little to no benefit at all to covid-19.

trump touts it because he's either a dum bass or has an investment in it.
People are dying NOW as we wait for a miracle vaccine that is six months away at best. Are you saying that if Trump has an investment in the cheap drug we should not save lives with it?
That's the definition of being a dumb @ss.

https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2...social-change/

Whilst we wait for the miracle cure based on Dr. Fauci's patented vaccine to make him rich, we need to employ any and all therapies the are proven to work by the Doctors in the field. Hydroxyl Chloroquine has been one of those therapies.

But Dr. Fauci and his Big pharma friends will lose status and profit if a cheap remedy already exists.

If it doesn't work hundreds of doctors will prove itin the field, not dumb @ss politicians and their sycophants. ( Like you.)
__________________
I am going to hang a Batman Costume in my closet. .......... Just to screw with myself when I get alzheimer's.
sola gratia, sola fide, sola scriptura.

I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN, I AM A FREEMAN, THE DEMOCRATS WORST NIGHTMARE

Last edited by FrancSevin; 08-04-2020 at 10:04 PM..
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FrancSevin For This Useful Post:
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2020, 05:56 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,354
Thanks: 8,988
Thanked 6,470 Times in 3,705 Posts
Default Re: The Key to Defeating COVID-19 Already Exists. We Need to Start Using It

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
proof you don't read.
uncle

objective people look for facts or guidelines from experts in a field
subjective people look in conspiracy rags and aunt jima's emails.
What in the world are you trying to say here? Your continued use of gibberish adds nothing to the discussion. Please sober up before posting.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington

Last edited by GetAClue; 08-05-2020 at 06:13 AM..
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GetAClue For This Useful Post:
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2020, 06:00 AM
Lollie's Avatar
Essential Deplorable
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Female
Posts: 18,852
Thanks: 15,650
Thanked 14,694 Times in 8,969 Posts
Default Re: The Key to Defeating COVID-19 Already Exists. We Need to Start Using It

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
What in the world are you trying to say here? Your continue use of gibberish adds nothing to the discussion. Please sober up before posting.
Salty is the only reason I ever look in now.
Her posts make for great entertainment.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lollie For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
already, covid19, defeating, exists, key, need, start, the, using

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0