Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Discussion > Health, Wellness, Sex and Body
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health, Wellness, Sex and Body Discuss Coronavirus: finding the ambiguous reality behind the fear headlines at the General Discussion; Coronavirus: finding the ambiguous reality behind the fear p*rn headlines https://off-guardian.org/2020/02/10/...orn-headlines/ According to the World Health Organisation the latest viral ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2020, 09:43 PM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,305
Thanks: 10,646
Thanked 6,704 Times in 4,546 Posts
Default Coronavirus: finding the ambiguous reality behind the fear headlines

Coronavirus: finding the ambiguous reality behind the fear p*rn headlines
https://off-guardian.org/2020/02/10/...orn-headlines/
Quote:
According to the World Health Organisation the latest viral panic – the infamous allegedly ‘new’ coronavirus is ‘stabilising‘, at least a little (see also MoA), though you wouldn’t think so from the fear porn currently being pumped out of every media orifice 24/7.

Today, even though signs are the panic is ebbing in China, the UK has claimed it has 8 cases of this new coronavirus and is declaring, on this basis, a “serious and imminent threat to public health”, which – oh goodness – allows BoJo and chums to assume “additional powers to fight the spread of disease”, including powers to “detain people suspected of having the virus”.

This, let me remind you, because 8 – eight – people have allegedly been identified as carrying the virus.

A virus with a mortality rate of around 2%.

Whatever its reality level, whether it’s a new mutation, a manmade death-bug or a largely invented meme, the alleged Wuhan virus has clearly been hyped for its control/fear potential virtually from day one. Whatever else you take away from it, be assured you are supposed to be afraid.

Very very afraid.

This story is being given a free plausibility pass by many in the alt media simply because it originates from a non-western source. There’s apparently a touchingly naive belief that the elites in China would never ally with their counterparts in the West, or use fear as an intimidation technique – just because.

Nonsense of course. Elites everywhere will use any weapons they have to enforce control. They always have and they always will. We are not justified in overlooking potential agenda with this narrative simply because it originates in China and is reported on by Chinese outlets. Chinese elites understand the value of fear porn too, and Chinese media outlets can also be agenda-bound. And on a broader consideration, Chinese people can panic and overreact. Because they are human.

An additional factor dissuading people from examining this critically is largely faith-based. Because this is medicine, and therefore science and therefore the magic/religion of our age, people tend to believe wholesale any ‘fact’ presented them, even third hand, by the practitioners of this alchemy. We rarely subject such claims to scrutiny.

But let’s not be deterred by such things. Let’s look below the surface of this pervasive narrative. At least a little.
the story

In south-east China in early December 2019, people were presenting with symptoms that were indistinguishable from influenza or gastroenteritis. However for some reason (it is very hard to find out what that reason was) suspicions were allegedly aroused that these people were not just suffering from flu, even though they certainly appeared to be, and steps were quickly taken to isolate a potential new pathogen.

By mid-January, less than six weeks later, a potential new pathogen was indeed found, and DNA sequenced. Almost immediately, even though proven cases at that time numbered in mere tens and we had a mortality rate of maximum 3%, Wuhan and other Chinese cities were placed on lockdown and the fear began pumping out.

Images of people allegedly ‘dying in the street’ from this new flu began appearing on social media and news channels. We were treated to shaky video of Chinese people wearing decorating overalls and paper masks, and told they were in ‘hazmat suits’. Images of Wuhan looking like a ghost town were broadcast to the world.

And the numbers grew. Until it was now.

There are currently alleged to be around 41,000 cases of the ‘new’ virus worldwide. The vast majority of them – over 40,000 – in China.

The mortality rate is apparently holding steady at around 2.2%.

What we don’t know is how reliable these figures are. Or even how they are arrived at.

Some basic questions

Has every single one of the 41,000 ‘confirmed’ cases have been tested and the virus isolated? If not, what does ‘confirmed’ mean?

Given that symptoms of the ‘new’ virus are identical to those of severe flu and bacterial/viral pneumonia, it can’t be distinguished from them by simple clinical observation, so ‘confirmation’ by any route except viral isolation would throw up enormous numbers of false positives, correct?

In the current climate if a person presents at a hospital in China with severe flu symptoms – fever, respiratory infection, cough – the staff are probably going to play it safe and assume it’s the ‘new’ scare virus, no? Do these unfortunates get included in ‘confirmed’ cases or not?

It would be nice to see a non-hysterical discussion of that question would it not?

Again, how is the test for this virus performed? Are they finding virus or antibodies? Is it reliable? Does the presence of the virus equate with a load sufficient to cause symptoms?

After all coronaviruses are very very common. We all carry antibodies to numerous strains of them. If antibodies to the ‘new’ strain are present, does this indicate current active infection or past infection and immunity?

What about people who may have acquired immunity to the ‘new’ virus, and present with regular but severe flu? If they are tested they will show antibodies and will become listed as current ‘active’ cases, even though they aren’t.

A lot depends on how new the ‘new’ strain really is. There are literally thousands of viral mutations happening all the time. We can’t keep track of them all. What may be a ‘new’ viral strain in terms of clinical awareness may, in fact, have been widely present but undetected in the population. When you look you may find many many individuals with antibodies to this strain, that you may categorise falsely as signs of new and active disease.

Again, these issues and ambiguities in the process of pathogen identification are nowhere addressed, and we are given mere factoids, statements of ‘truth’ from on high that the numbers are real and unquestionable.

Jon Rappoport remains one of the few alternative voices prepared to express any kind of organised scepticism about the current panic. He may not always get it right, but the mere fact he is almost a lone voice means we should pay some attention, just in pursuance of balance.

His latest blog points out the overlooked difficulties with arriving at clear figures for pathogen infection and distribution. It’s worth reading for this alone.

He points out, citing this source that there are between 2.8million and 17million deaths in China per year from pneumonia. This looks like an alarming figure. And it means that, even without any ‘new’ virus strain, hospitals in China would be seeing many cases of respiratory infection/distress every day. The potential for some or all of these sufferers to become statistics in a ‘new virus’ panic is clearly there, and doesn’t require any ‘conspiracy theory’ beyond ordinary human panic.

He also makes the slightly more sinister point –

If you’re beginning to think it’s easy to declare an epidemic and broadcast propaganda about it, you’re right. Take a conventional set of symptoms present in people all over the world, claim a new virus is causing them, and you’re off and running. You can report 500 or 1000 deaths from this virus and people will believe whatever you say or do next. They won’t realize that this set of symptoms has been present in millions and millions of people, for decades or centuries, without the new virus. They won’t realize millions of people have already died without the “new virus.”

As I’ve pointed out above, this is quite true. Even without any intent to create a ‘fake’ pandemic it’s more than possible to achieve it simply by being too inclusive. Without much more information about how this ‘new’ virus was identified and how its prevalence is being monitored, it remains more than possible that its presence is being exaggerated. And that’s not even factoring in the potential for governments and NGOs to wilfully distort information in order to instill panic.

Let’s clarify. We aren’t claiming the ‘new’ coronavirus strain isn’t new. We aren’t claiming it isn’t dangerous. We aren’t claiming it hasn’t infected 41,000 people and isn’t capable of producing a global pandemic that threatens humanity.

All these things are possible. Of course they are. But few to none are currently proven. All we have are statements, allegations, all couched inside obvious panic narratives that ought to make us wary. And from actors with track records of deception, or at very least gross over-reaction. ...
more at link.

I'm still waiting for Ebola, Sars, the West Nile virus, and what ever happen to the ZIKA virus to kill us all.

Prayers and good health to all those infected with ANY disease.
But I'm not buying the hype on Corona either.
sorry... not yet at least... a 2.2 death rate?
Frankly the regular Flu sounds like it might be more deadly at this point.
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mr wonder For This Useful Post:
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2020, 10:38 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 81,824
Thanks: 55,597
Thanked 26,346 Times in 18,864 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Coronavirus: finding the ambiguous reality behind the fear headlines

do you know how many people live in China? for the 900 people is not a very big percentage.

beware of propaganda telling you illnesses the cdc has warned you about is a big conspiracy theory. I just saw a special on that yesterday. propaganda on the internet even seemingly legit outlets. use your common sense.
__________________
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."
- Albert Camus
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2020, 07:55 PM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,305
Thanks: 10,646
Thanked 6,704 Times in 4,546 Posts
Default Re: Coronavirus: finding the ambiguous reality behind the fear headlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
do you know how many people live in China? for the 900 people is not a very big percentage.

beware of propaganda telling you illnesses the cdc has warned you about is a big conspiracy theory. I just saw a special on that yesterday. propaganda on the internet even seemingly legit outlets. use your common sense.
What's up with the Zika virus again?
We all need to be aware and cautious of of all illnesses, but not act like the sky is falling.
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8

Last edited by mr wonder; 02-11-2020 at 08:07 PM..
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr wonder For This Useful Post:
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2020, 02:48 AM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 81,824
Thanks: 55,597
Thanked 26,346 Times in 18,864 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Coronavirus: finding the ambiguous reality behind the fear headlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr wonder View Post
What's up with the Zika virus again?
We all need to be aware and cautious of of all illnesses, but not act like the sky is falling.
Google:
"Zika virus disease is caused by a virus transmitted primarily by Aedes mosquitoes, which bite during the day. Symptoms are generally mild and include fever, rash, conjunctivitis, muscle and joint pain, malaise or headache. Symptoms typically last for 2–7 days.

In others it can cause a mild illness with symptoms including a rash, conjunctivitis, fever and headaches. These will generally last for a few days to a week. However, the virus can cause microcephaly and other congenital abnormalities in babies born to mothers infected with the virus"

No one is saying the sky is falling. We are being made aware of a potential danger that has killed people.
There is still no cure for pneumococcal pneumonia although I think there is a vaccine. It killed thousands of Americans in the early 1900s. Two of them were my great grandmother and one of her married daughters. The family had to raise that daughter's child. And my grandmother was left an orphan (her dad dying years before) due to her mother's death.
I'm pretty sure if there was a preventative measure they could have taken they would have done whether quarantine or vaccine or just being better informed.
__________________
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."
- Albert Camus
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2020, 08:20 AM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Posts: 12,987
Thanks: 11,083
Thanked 9,223 Times in 5,719 Posts
Default Re: Coronavirus: finding the ambiguous reality behind the fear headlines

Are there flu strains out there that cause more problems then others? Yup.

Is there reason to panic? Nope.

Common sense and logic is probably one of the best preventatives.
__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
If you don't laugh at yourself, a whole bunch of people will volunteer to do it for you
I never lose. I either win, or I learn....
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GottaGo For This Useful Post:
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2020, 06:25 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 81,824
Thanks: 55,597
Thanked 26,346 Times in 18,864 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Coronavirus: finding the ambiguous reality behind the fear headlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
Are there flu strains out there that cause more problems then others? Yup.

Is there reason to panic? Nope.

Common sense and logic is probably one of the best preventatives.
precisely but when some people hear or see a warning they go crazy instead of just taking the recommended precautions.
__________________
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."
- Albert Camus
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2020, 11:04 PM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,305
Thanks: 10,646
Thanked 6,704 Times in 4,546 Posts
Default Re: Coronavirus: finding the ambiguous reality behind the fear headlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
precisely but when some people hear or see a warning they go crazy instead of just taking the recommended precautions.
they can recommend what they like. Great. But i reserve the right... as a free human being... to question and review the situation and their recommendations and not just blindly take their word for it.
I'm not from Missouri, but show me.
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr wonder For This Useful Post:
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2020, 11:14 PM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,305
Thanks: 10,646
Thanked 6,704 Times in 4,546 Posts
Default Re: Coronavirus: finding the ambiguous reality behind the fear headlines

And when the gov't "recommended precautions" include new and untested and/or forced medications, or other actions that come across to some as unreasonable
then we might not comply or might even complain.

And when the gov't wants to STOP folks from using means of their own choosing as a precaution or treatment, i'm going to complain as well.

But in general There's no law or reason that people should be compelled to panic at the words of "official" spokes people.

Salt I mean those officials might be colluding with Russia or something!
(sorry Salt that was just there)
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mr wonder For This Useful Post:
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2020, 11:30 AM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Posts: 12,987
Thanks: 11,083
Thanked 9,223 Times in 5,719 Posts
Default Re: Coronavirus: finding the ambiguous reality behind the fear headlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr wonder View Post
And when the gov't "recommended precautions" include new and untested and/or forced medications, or other actions that come across to some as unreasonable
then we might not comply or might even complain.

And when the gov't wants to STOP folks from using means of their own choosing as a precaution or treatment, i'm going to complain as well.

But in general There's no law or reason that people should be compelled to panic at the words of "official" spokes people.

Salt I mean those officials might be colluding with Russia or something!
(sorry Salt that was just there)
You hit that one spot on, Sir.
__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
If you don't laugh at yourself, a whole bunch of people will volunteer to do it for you
I never lose. I either win, or I learn....
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2020, 02:12 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 81,824
Thanks: 55,597
Thanked 26,346 Times in 18,864 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Coronavirus: finding the ambiguous reality behind the fear headlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr wonder View Post
they can recommend what they like. Great. But i reserve the right... as a free human being... to question and review the situation and their recommendations and not just blindly take their word for it.
I'm not from Missouri, but show me.
sounds like you are the one who's paranoid with your huge block letters.
__________________
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."
- Albert Camus
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ambiguous, behind, coronavirus, fear, finding, headlines, reality, the

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0