Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Discussion > Health, Wellness, Sex and Body
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health, Wellness, Sex and Body Discuss Researchers say there's evidence that consciousness continues after clinical death at the General Discussion; Originally Posted by jimbo It seems to me that the flaw in this argument is that people who have had ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 04-20-2018, 02:50 PM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,726
Thanks: 9,606
Thanked 5,848 Times in 3,953 Posts
Default Re: Researchers say there's evidence that consciousness continues after clinical deat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
It seems to me that the flaw in this argument is that people who have had near death experiences weren't really dead after all.
the dr in the piece says they were dead why do think the dr is wrong?
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 04-20-2018, 03:43 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,284
Thanks: 8,749
Thanked 7,190 Times in 4,345 Posts
Default Re: Researchers say there's evidence that consciousness continues after clinical deat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr wonder View Post
the dr in the piece says they were dead why do think the dr is wrong?
The opening line:

Researchers at NYU's Langone Medical Center have conducted a study of patients who have experienced near-death experiences

Is this not correct?
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 04-20-2018, 04:27 PM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,726
Thanks: 9,606
Thanked 5,848 Times in 3,953 Posts
Default Re: Researchers say there's evidence that consciousness continues after clinical deat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
The opening line:

Researchers at NYU's Langone Medical Center have conducted a study of patients who have experienced near-death experiences

Is this not correct?
the word "near death" is the label yes. but the label is defined as the Dr speaks.
it's people who's heart and brain function have stopped and they are declared medically dead. who then are revived from that death and report experiences during the time they were medically dead.

And technically speaking the term "NEAR death" experiences could just as easily mean DIED not to long ago experiences.
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 04-20-2018, 04:50 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,284
Thanks: 8,749
Thanked 7,190 Times in 4,345 Posts
Default Re: Researchers say there's evidence that consciousness continues after clinical deat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr wonder View Post
the word "near death" is the label yes. but the label is defined as the Dr speaks.
it's people who's heart and brain function have stopped and they are declared medically dead. who then are revived from that death and report experiences during the time they were medically dead.

And technically speaking the term "NEAR death" experiences could just as easily mean DIED not to long ago experiences.
Not wishing to get into a nitpicking argument, but if a person is revived, he/she was not medically dead. People do not revive from dead.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimbo For This Useful Post:
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 04-20-2018, 07:57 PM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,726
Thanks: 9,606
Thanked 5,848 Times in 3,953 Posts
Default Re: Researchers say there's evidence that consciousness continues after clinical deat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
Not wishing to get into a nitpicking argument, but if a person is revived, he/she was not medically dead. People do not revive from dead.
The dr's say they do.
You say they don't. who am i to believe?

Dr.s don't have a problem acknowledging the fact people who die can be revived after short periods. (Or in some cases have come back spontaneously.) For Longer than i thought, this Dr in this interview says an HOUR.

It's weird that some people won't accept verified repeated scientific observations. This isn't stuff supposedly happening "Millions" of years ago, or Billions of miles away. It's happening and documented today. But somehow you seem to be rejecting it out of hand . Not very rational on your part jimbo. The honest thing to say is 'well I don't know how to explain it ' and leave at that, rather than pretending it doesn't happen man.
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 04-29-2018, 01:45 PM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,726
Thanks: 9,606
Thanked 5,848 Times in 3,953 Posts
Default Re: Researchers say there's evidence that consciousness continues after clinical deat

FYI
Interview with author of book below
http://mynetbox.info/audio/J_Steve_M...ience_01z1.mp3


Near-Death Experiences as Evidence for the Existence of God and Heaven:
A Brief Introduction in Plain Language

from Amazon
....In this multiple award-winning book, the reader will explore:
• The common naturalistic explanations for NDEs.
• Evidence that NDEs point to God and heaven.
• The results of 35 years of research into NDEs by doctors and other professionals, fully documented for those who want to study further.
• A comparison of NDEs with Christian teachings.
• Recommendations of key books, researchers, and publications for further study.

“Can we survive death? Is there a God or a heaven? Miller provides the discerning reader with ample reason to think that the answer to these all-important questions is 'yes'.” - Dr. Peter Schaefer, Senior Research Psychologist, Department of Defense

“For some time we’ve needed a well-researched, compelling introduction to this exciting field that focuses on the evidence. Miller delivers!” – Jeffrey Long, MD, author of the New York Times bestselling Evidence of the Afterlife: The Science of Near-Death Experiences...
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mr wonder For This Useful Post:
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 08-30-2018, 06:53 PM
mlurp's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Flatlands
Gender: Male
Posts: 37,373
Thanks: 19,035
Thanked 10,863 Times in 8,472 Posts
Default Re: Researchers say there's evidence that consciousness continues after clinical deat

Humm so when one dies their brain shows they are thinking..

Would not that might be the lingering effect of going to see ?
__________________


Improvise - Adapt - Over Come...
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 08-31-2018, 09:55 AM
Dog Man's Avatar
Down Boy!
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southern Nevada
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,275
Thanks: 3,586
Thanked 4,468 Times in 3,140 Posts
Default Re: Researchers say there's evidence that consciousness continues after clinical deat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlurp View Post
Humm so when one dies their brain shows they are thinking..

Would not that might be the lingering effect of going to see ?
Yep, It's the spirit preparing to leave the body. maybe waiting for directions.
__________________
If Trump had ran and won as a socialist Democrat, the left would be forgiving and defending all of his faults.[
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 08-31-2018, 03:34 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 77,282
Thanks: 54,343
Thanked 25,808 Times in 18,389 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Researchers say there's evidence that consciousness continues after clinical deat

I have talked w a person many years ago who 'died' on the operating table and was then resuscitated. He described details of the people in the room, CPR attempts, a light at the and of a tunnel and the best most warm peaceful feeling in the presence of what he thought was Jesus. edited :He was never particularly religious before this event.
This was before the reports came out by two doctors who separately and miles apart had discovered this phenomena in many of their patients.
__________________
Do not mind anything that anyone tells you about anyone else. Judge everyone and everything for yourself.
Henry James
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 08-31-2018, 03:36 PM
GetAClue's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,922
Thanks: 3,573
Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,495 Posts
Default Re: Researchers say there's evidence that consciousness continues after clinical deat

People remaining conscious after death. This sounds like a lot of Democratic politicians and voters.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GetAClue For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
after, clinical, consciousness, continues, death, evidence, researchers, say, that, there

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0