Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > Gun Control/2nd Amendment
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Gun Control/2nd Amendment Discuss Arlington employee charged for shooting burglar in middle of the night, owner speaks at the General Forum; When you live in a state run by the left, this is what you can expect. The police are more ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2020, 02:31 PM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,327
Thanks: 8,949
Thanked 6,440 Times in 3,687 Posts
Default Arlington employee charged for shooting burglar in middle of the night, owner speaks

When you live in a state run by the left, this is what you can expect. The police are more worried about a person defending themselves and their property than the thieves that instigated the situation.

Quote:
Arlington employee charged for shooting burglar in middle of the night, owner speaks out

Arlington, VA. (ABC7) — The owner of a South Arlington smoke shop is outraged after his employee was charged with multiple crimes for shooting a suspect who had allegedly broken into the business.

That owner says the employee used a gun that the owner had bought because he feared just such a crime during the coronavirus pandemic.

Arlington County Police say they were called to the Arlington Smoke Shop on Shirlington Road in Green Valley around 4:53 a.m. Sunday.

They say three suspects had forced their way in to steal cash and merchandise.

33-year-old Hamzeh Abushariah, who was temporarily staying at the store and sleeping in a back room, got up and grabbed a gun.

According to police, he “opened the door to the sales floor and discharged the weapon, striking one juvenile subject. The employee retreated to the back room but reentered the sales floor and discharged his weapon again as the subjects were attempting to flee the business.”

The juvenile who was shot is expected to survive. Arlington County Police say charges are anticipated in the breaking and entering, but Abushariah is already facing three charges.

The charges are malicious wounding, reckless handling of a firearm, and violation of a protective order. Arlington County Police say the third charge is because Abushariah had been ordered not to have a firearm.

Owner Jowan Aqrawi says he is outraged and feels the shooting should have been considered self-defense.

“4:30 am, three masked men entering your home where you’re asleep,” he told ABC7. “Put yourself in that position, and you’ll have a better understanding.”

Arlington County Police referred questions about why Abushariah was charged to the Arlington County Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office.

ABC7 received a statement from Arlington Commonwealth’s Attorney Parisa Dehghani-Tafti that read as follows:

“I cannot ethically discuss an ongoing investigation because doing so would not only risk compromising our work but also unfairly impede on the rights of the accused and interfere with the investigation. Suffice it to say, there is evidence we are not at liberty to share that support the charges, the decision was not made lightly, and we ask the public not to rush to judgment on what is very much a live investigation.”

Aqrawi says he bought two firearms a few weeks ago because he was concerned someone would try to steal from his store during the coronavirus pandemic.

“We bought protection for the store just in case, because on Facebook you see a lot of robberies, a lot of things going on,” Aqrawi said.

Aqrawi says Abushariah is a father of two children (who were not at the store at the time). He says Abushariah was staying at the store both to save money and to avoid the coronavirus, which had affected the complex Abushariah lived in in DC.

Abushariah is being held in jail on no bond.
https://wjla.com/news/local/arlingto...ner-speaks-out
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2020, 07:31 PM
Manitou's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 20,899
Thanks: 654
Thanked 6,869 Times in 4,926 Posts
Default Re: Arlington employee charged for shooting burglar in middle of the night, owner spe

People should not have to be concerned with showing any type of consideration to ass holes who show up with criminal intent.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2020, 09:56 PM
Jeerleader's Avatar
Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Upper Bucks County, PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,341
Thanks: 1,210
Thanked 1,935 Times in 887 Posts
Default Re: Arlington employee charged for shooting burglar in middle of the night, owner spe

Lesson to be learned is do not fire a warning shot . . . Biden's tactical advice gets you thrown in jail.
__________________
You can’t truly call yourself “peaceful” unless you are capable of great violence.
If you are incapable of violence, you are not peaceful, you are just harmless.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2020, 06:35 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,327
Thanks: 8,949
Thanked 6,440 Times in 3,687 Posts
Default Re: Arlington employee charged for shooting burglar in middle of the night, owner spe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeerleader View Post
Lesson to be learned is do not fire a warning shot . . . Biden's tactical advice gets you thrown in jail.
Another lesson learned: Don't vote for those running for elected office that are not willing to abide by the Constitution. The laws that are being enforced were not written by those charged with enforcing them. The one's that need to be held accountable are those elected officials that codified such nonsense.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2020, 07:37 AM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Posts: 13,251
Thanks: 11,453
Thanked 9,550 Times in 5,886 Posts
Default Re: Arlington employee charged for shooting burglar in middle of the night, owner spe

Another lesson learned: If you are barred from owning a firearm, perhaps you should rethink the idea of using one.

Disregarding the above, shooting the one suspect should not be an issue. Firing while they were fleeing was stupid and inappropriate.

While I have some sympathy for the owner and his concerns, he should have checked to see if the employee was legal to 'have' a firearm.

The government seems to take pleasure in prosecuting the victims, in defense of the criminals.
__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
If you don't laugh at yourself, a whole bunch of people will volunteer to do it for you
I never lose. I either win, or I learn....
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2020, 09:25 AM
Manitou's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 20,899
Thanks: 654
Thanked 6,869 Times in 4,926 Posts
Default Re: Arlington employee charged for shooting burglar in middle of the night, owner spe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
Disregarding the above, shooting the one suspect should not be an issue. Firing while they were fleeing was stupid and inappropriate.


The government seems to take pleasure in prosecuting the victims, in defense of the criminals.

Regarding a person firing at intruders who are fleeing, the prosecutors should understand that the intruders should not have risked their lives in the first place. I know that if children are part of the equation, a home defender does not have the luxury of assuming that the intruders have been chased away. What happens if they pretend that they have been chased away, only to come back and finish their mayhem before the police arrive?

I have arrived at the conclusion that most prosecuting powers do indeed find it easier to blame the victim, instead of getting off their asses to bring the actual perpetrators to justice.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2020, 11:03 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,327
Thanks: 8,949
Thanked 6,440 Times in 3,687 Posts
Default Re: Arlington employee charged for shooting burglar in middle of the night, owner spe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
Another lesson learned: If you are barred from owning a firearm, perhaps you should rethink the idea of using one.

Disregarding the above, shooting the one suspect should not be an issue. Firing while they were fleeing was stupid and inappropriate.

While I have some sympathy for the owner and his concerns, he should have checked to see if the employee was legal to 'have' a firearm.

The government seems to take pleasure in prosecuting the victims, in defense of the criminals.
I will say that if someone were to break into my home while my family were here, I would pursue them until they were apprehended. They could choose to stay put or run, but either way, they will be pursued. The reason being is that if they are NOT caught, what is to stop them from coming back again to "finish" the job or to retaliate when I am not home but my wife and children are?

However, as for me and where I live, I really don't expect that to be a problem. One phone call to a neighbor, and the entire neighborhood would be on the lookout for the intruder, all of them heavily armed.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-04-2020, 08:12 AM
Jeerleader's Avatar
Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Upper Bucks County, PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,341
Thanks: 1,210
Thanked 1,935 Times in 887 Posts
Default Re: Arlington employee charged for shooting burglar in middle of the night, owner spe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
I will say that if someone were to break into my home while my family were here, I would pursue them until they were apprehended. They could choose to stay put or run, but either way, they will be pursued.
That is a dangerous path legally, if you live in a castle doctrine state your right to self defense has a wide latitude -- as long as the intruder in in your house. Outside your home, your right to self defense evaporates when the immediate threat to your life evaporates. Pursuing them when they are trying to flee extinguishes virtually all affirmative defenses you can claim if the incident results in the harm or death of the perp . . . You have become the aggressor.

As I said before, the problem for Abushariah was he told police he first shot to scare the intruders, not to repel any immediate threat to his life. Some states recognize a right to use deadly force to protect property, Virginia is not among them.

Anyone involved in a self defense shooting must exercise his/her right to remain silent. The only thing to say to police is, "I feared for my life, there is his weapon. I will make a full statement after I speak to my attorney".

.
__________________
You can’t truly call yourself “peaceful” unless you are capable of great violence.
If you are incapable of violence, you are not peaceful, you are just harmless.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeerleader For This Useful Post:
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-04-2020, 08:48 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,327
Thanks: 8,949
Thanked 6,440 Times in 3,687 Posts
Default Re: Arlington employee charged for shooting burglar in middle of the night, owner spe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeerleader View Post
That is a dangerous path legally, if you live in a castle doctrine state your right to self defense has a wide latitude -- as long as the intruder in in your house. Outside your home, your right to self defense evaporates when the immediate threat to your life evaporates. Pursuing them when they are trying to flee extinguishes virtually all affirmative defenses you can claim if the incident results in the harm or death of the perp . . . You have become the aggressor.

As I said before, the problem for Abushariah was he told police he first shot to scare the intruders, not to repel any immediate threat to his life. Some states recognize a right to use deadly force to protect property, Virginia is not among them.

Anyone involved in a self defense shooting must exercise his/her right to remain silent. The only thing to say to police is, "I feared for my life, there is his weapon. I will make a full statement after I speak to my attorney".

.
I agree and understand what you are saying.

When I said I would pursue them, that is exactly what I would do if they managed to leave my home alive. But I can pursue without using deadly force. Getting a license plate number, description of the person(s) or following them while alerting authorities about where they are and where they are heading, could go along way in their capture and prosecution.

But as to your point about pursuing with deadly force, I agree. When they are no longer a threat to your life, you have no right to take theirs.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
arlington, burglar, charged, employee, for, middle, night, owner, shooting, speaks, the

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0