Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > Gun Control/2nd Amendment
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Gun Control/2nd Amendment Discuss President Trump Fires Obama’s Anti-Gun Surgeon General at the General Forum; Originally Posted by ShivaTD It is a good question but only a Republican would think that an unqualified person should ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2017, 09:01 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,077
Thanks: 7,616
Thanked 6,409 Times in 3,893 Posts
Default Re: President Trump Fires Obama’s Anti-Gun Surgeon General

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivaTD View Post
It is a good question but only a Republican would think that an unqualified person should answer. Vivek Murthy would be an expert at treating the wounds caused by gun violence. His expertise is medical because doctors have to deal with the injuries to people from gun violence

Only a firearms expert or a law enforcement expert would be able to provide reasonable solutions to the problem of human injuries caused by gun violence.

I own firearms but I'm not an expert but even I can propose something that could reduce the severity of injuries caused by gun violence.

Wouldn't it reduce the severity of a wound caused by a bullet if we reduced the muzzle velocity and/or muzzle energy of the bullets when it leaves the barrel? Logic tells me that a lighter bullet (reducing the mass/energy) traveling at a slower velocity will cause less damage. That seems to make sense from a physics perspective.

I'm sure that the NRA could come up with something a lot better than my proposals so what's the NRA proposing to reduce the injuries causes by gun violence?



If my premise is wrong and you don't advocate gun violence then what is you proposal for reducing the number of incidents and reducing the severity of the injury cause by gun violence? I'll assume you know something about guns and gun violence.

Injuries and deaths caused by misuse of cars and guns are a public health issue and I'm not sure why anyone would say they aren't. They certainly affect the health of the public that are involved in automobile accidents resulting in injury and death as well as firearms related injuries and deaths.

We have safety standards for cars and drivers that operate them so why shouldn't we have safety standards for firearms and those that use them.

And yes, the "winner" gets make the choice of those they employ but any businessman knows that you should pick the person that's not just qualified for a position but is also a chief advocate for the position. A CEO of a corporation would not, for example, select someone to head the quality assurance organization that opposed to quality. Only a stupid CEO would do that.

Now we have President Trump that selected a person opposed the protecting the environment to head the Environmental Protection Agency. He's selected a person that opposes public schools as Sect of Education. He's selected a person that is an advocate for the enterprise to head the Department of Labor that's suppose to support the workers and not the enterprise. Trump's a businessman as the Sect of State that's the highest diplomatic position in the cabinet.

So yes, Donald Trump gets to make the choice but so far we know he's made a lot of bad choices because he's been choose people that aren't suited for the positions they've been appointed to. Trump is exhibit the characteristics of an extremely bad CEO which is why his corporations have failed in the past.

Based upon Trump's poor performance in the first 100 days, his poor record on selecting qualified people for appointments, and the fact that the firing of the Surgeon General was over gun violence we can probably expect Trump to pick someone like Dennis R. Veilleux, the CEO of Colt manufacturing, to be the new Surgeon General because he knows nothing about medicine but does know a lot about guns.

Trump sure is following the "Peter Principle" where people are being promoted to their highest level of incompetence.
Shiva, you back yourself into many corners that it's barely worth my time to assist you. But:

"Wouldn't it reduce the severity of a wound caused by a bullet if we reduced the muzzle velocity and/or muzzle energy of the bullets when it leaves the barrel? Logic tells me that a lighter bullet (reducing the mass/energy) traveling at a slower velocity will cause less damage. That seems to make sense from a physics perspective."

Sure it would. Carrying that to the extreme, if you reduced the charge to zero, then there would be no muzzle velocity or kinetic energy. You then interject the lighter bullet out of nowhere. But weight x energy would stay approximately the same. What are you advocating? Limiting the second rights to .22 shorts? Limiting .30.06 to say 35 grains 4320? 110 grain bullets for a .44 pistol?.

the fact that the firing of the Surgeon General was over gun violence
Is there any evidence to this "fact"? I've seen nothing. There could be other reasons or a group of non related reasons. First, guns aren't violent. Pit bulls are violent. Terrorists are violent. Serial murderers are violent. Guns are inanimate objects not capable of violence.

Trump the businessman makes bad executive choices? How do you know that? His wealth has increased by a factor of 10 or more over his business career, and he is among the top 100 or so richest persons in the country.

Again, you don't get to choose his assistants. Trump does. Nor do you get to decide who gets fired.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2017, 11:49 PM
Manitou's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,636
Thanks: 177
Thanked 5,240 Times in 3,810 Posts
Default Re: President Trump Fires Obama’s Anti-Gun Surgeon General

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivaTD View Post
Only a firearms expert or a law enforcement expert would be able to provide reasonable solutions to the problem of human injuries caused by gun violence.

I own firearms but I'm not an expert but even I can propose something that could reduce the severity of injuries caused by gun violence.

Wouldn't it reduce the severity of a wound caused by a bullet if we reduced the muzzle velocity and/or muzzle energy of the bullets when it leaves the barrel? Logic tells me that a lighter bullet (reducing the mass/energy) traveling at a slower velocity will cause less damage. That seems to make sense from a physics perspective.
The thought of you being any sort of firearms expert never entered my mind at any time. About reducing the severity of a wound, here is a solution all anti-gun dumbasses might go along with:

Use nerf bullets only. Make the firearm make a very loud bang nevertheless, so that the noise will scare the bad guy shltless, and end the threat to an innocent person.

This "threat to public safety" bullshlt liberals and moderates and anti-gun libertarians use would better serve the public if pamphlets exhorting this idea were to be printed out and freely given to people, with a big disclaimer announcing that the pamphlet can be used in an emergency to wipe one's ass.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 04-24-2017, 06:39 AM
ShivaTD's Avatar
Progressive Libertarian
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Immigrant to Arizona
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,943
Thanks: 1,423
Thanked 2,110 Times in 1,661 Posts
Default Re: President Trump Fires Obama’s Anti-Gun Surgeon General

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
Shiva, you back yourself into many corners that it's barely worth my time to assist you. But:

"Wouldn't it reduce the severity of a wound caused by a bullet if we reduced the muzzle velocity and/or muzzle energy of the bullets when it leaves the barrel? Logic tells me that a lighter bullet (reducing the mass/energy) traveling at a slower velocity will cause less damage. That seems to make sense from a physics perspective."

Sure it would. Carrying that to the extreme, if you reduced the charge to zero, then there would be no muzzle velocity or kinetic energy. You then interject the lighter bullet out of nowhere. But weight x energy would stay approximately the same. What are you advocating? Limiting the second rights to .22 shorts? Limiting .30.06 to say 35 grains 4320? 110 grain bullets for a .44 pistol?.

the fact that the firing of the Surgeon General was over gun violence
Is there any evidence to this "fact"? I've seen nothing. There could be other reasons or a group of non related reasons. First, guns aren't violent. Pit bulls are violent. Terrorists are violent. Serial murderers are violent. Guns are inanimate objects not capable of violence.

Trump the businessman makes bad executive choices? How do you know that? His wealth has increased by a factor of 10 or more over his business career, and he is among the top 100 or so richest persons in the country.

Again, you don't get to choose his assistants. Trump does. Nor do you get to decide who gets fired.
It was not my intent to claim that my proposal to reduce muzzle energy/velocity was pragmatic or reasonable but instead just to point out that, as was pointed out, if both were reduced to zero then injury and death from gun violence would be virtually zero unless someone used the gun as a club.

It's also correct that I don't know why Trump fired the Surgeon General but I do know that Trump supporters applauded it claiming it was because the Surgeon General opposed guns without any evidence of that. He opposed gun violence and not the actual firearms from what I read. He was even condemned for not answering a question about guns that he was unqualified to answer.

So you're right, I don't know why Trump fired him so I'd ask why Trump supporters are claiming it was because he was anti-gun without any evidence of that from his record or from Trump?

Trump's record of failures reflects his exceptionally poor executive record. Let's look at some of his non-real estate enterprises:

Trump Steaks
Launched: 2007
Service rendered: Steaks
Years in business: 1

GoTrump.com
Launched: 2006
Service rendered: Travel search engine
Years in business: 1

Trump Airlines
Launched: 1989
Service rendered: Hourly flights between Boston, New York City, and Washington D.C.
Years in business: 4-ish

Trump Vodka
Launched: 2006
Service Rendered: Beverage
Years in business: 5

Trump Mortgage
Launched: 2006
Service rendered: Residential and commercial real estate financing
Years in business: 1.5

Trump: The Game
Launched: 1989
Service rendered: Family fun
Years in business: 1

Trump Magazine
Launched: 2007
Service rendered: Entertainment for luxury-enthusiasts
Years in business: 2-ish

Trump University
Launched: 2005
Service rendered: For-profit, non-accredited fake business degrees
Years in business: 6

Trump Ice
Launched: 2004
Service rendered: Hydration
Years in business: Less than 1

The New Jersey Generals
Owner: 1984-1985
Service rendered: Football
Years in business: 2

Tour de Trump
Launched: 1989
Service rendered: Bike races
Years in business: 2

Trump on the Ocean
Launched: 2012
Service rendered: Restaurant/catering hall
Years in business: 0.3

The Trump Network
Launched: 2009
Service rendered: Vitamin pyramid scheme
Years in business: 2

Trumped!
Launched: 2004
Service rendered: Talk radio
Years in business: 4

A Complete List of Donald Trump?s Business Disasters

Not all business failures result in bankruptcy but all business successes result in longevity. It can be noticed that there was a commonality in all of these enterprises that's reflected in almost everything Trump does. Trump always believes that it will succeed because he's Donald Trump which is why he labels everything after himself. This was highly evident in the Trump Taj Mahal bankruptcy. When the NJ Gaming Commission wanted assurances that Trump wouldn't fund construction costs with junk bonds Trump told them the banks were just waiting to lend him the money because he was Donald Trump. He didn't check with the banks obviously because they didn't loan him the money so he funded it with junk bonds. When the Atlantic City casino revenue history indicated that there wasn't enough revenue to pay back construction costs for the Taj Mahal Trump told the investors buying the junk bonds not to worry. People would flock to his casino because he was Donald Trump. They didn't come and the Taj Mahal went into bankruptcy about 90 days after where the investors were screwed out of the 15% interest he'd promised.

During his campaign Trump claimed he was the only one that could address currency manipulation by China and negotiate a trade agreement that would return jobs to America because he was Donald Trump. He's already abandoned that by getting China to deal with N Korea that China. A four year old child could have "accomplished" this because China has been dealing with N Korea for decades and all it agreed to was to keep on doing what it's always done.

Donald Trump didn't accumulate more wealth because he's Donald Trump. Donald Trump accumulated wealth in spite of being Donald Trump.

Trump's money made money because money always makes money. Based upon Trump's claims of wealth his money would have generated twice as much on it's own than what he now has based upon a financial analysis. In 1982 Trump claimed he had $500 million and in $2016 he claimed he had $10 billion. If he would have just invested $500 million in the S&P 500 in 1982 that investment in 2016 would have been worth $20 billion - Twice as much as what he claimed he had. Effectively by using his money to fund corporations where he was the CEO it cost him $10 billion. Worse still along the way he managed to screw his investors and many of the contractors that he employed.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-pr...233020366.html

Donald Trump is not nor has he ever been a good corporate executive officer. He makes bad decisions and doesn't even exhibit the signs of a good corporate executive. It was for that reason that he made such a good TV personality in the role of a corporate executive - because he was so bad that it made people laugh. A top of the line corporate executive would have been a horrible host of the Apprentice because they'd be boring to watch. Trump's tagline, "You're fired" is exemplary of BAD MANAGEMENT when we address the attributes of the top executives.

What we really see when it comes to Trump's claims related to his business skills are the top three symptoms of a narcissistic personality disorder.

Having an exaggerated sense of self-importance

Expecting to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it

Exaggerating your achievements and talents
__________________
President Lincoln issued 64 pardons for war-related offences; 22 for conspiracy, 17 for treason, 12 for rebellion, 9 for holding an office under the Confederacy, and 4 for serving with the rebels.

The American Civil War was a White (WASP Male) Supremacist insurrection against the Constitutional government of the United States. Every American that served the Confederate cause was a TRAITOR and every White Supremacist today is a Traitor and a Terrorist.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2017, 09:10 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,218
Thanks: 1,569
Thanked 989 Times in 563 Posts
Default Re: President Trump Fires Obama’s Anti-Gun Surgeon General

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivaTD View Post
It was not my intent to claim that my proposal to reduce muzzle energy/velocity was pragmatic or reasonable but instead just to point out that, as was pointed out, if both were reduced to zero then injury and death from gun violence would be virtually zero unless someone used the gun as a club.

It's also correct that I don't know why Trump fired the Surgeon General but I do know that Trump supporters applauded it claiming it was because the Surgeon General opposed guns without any evidence of that. He opposed gun violence and not the actual firearms from what I read. He was even condemned for not answering a question about guns that he was unqualified to answer.

So you're right, I don't know why Trump fired him so I'd ask why Trump supporters are claiming it was because he was anti-gun without any evidence of that from his record or from Trump?

Trump's record of failures reflects his exceptionally poor executive record. Let's look at some of his non-real estate enterprises:

Trump Steaks
Launched: 2007
Service rendered: Steaks
Years in business: 1

GoTrump.com
Launched: 2006
Service rendered: Travel search engine
Years in business: 1

Trump Airlines
Launched: 1989
Service rendered: Hourly flights between Boston, New York City, and Washington D.C.
Years in business: 4-ish

Trump Vodka
Launched: 2006
Service Rendered: Beverage
Years in business: 5

Trump Mortgage
Launched: 2006
Service rendered: Residential and commercial real estate financing
Years in business: 1.5

Trump: The Game
Launched: 1989
Service rendered: Family fun
Years in business: 1

Trump Magazine
Launched: 2007
Service rendered: Entertainment for luxury-enthusiasts
Years in business: 2-ish

Trump University
Launched: 2005
Service rendered: For-profit, non-accredited fake business degrees
Years in business: 6

Trump Ice
Launched: 2004
Service rendered: Hydration
Years in business: Less than 1

The New Jersey Generals
Owner: 1984-1985
Service rendered: Football
Years in business: 2

Tour de Trump
Launched: 1989
Service rendered: Bike races
Years in business: 2

Trump on the Ocean
Launched: 2012
Service rendered: Restaurant/catering hall
Years in business: 0.3

The Trump Network
Launched: 2009
Service rendered: Vitamin pyramid scheme
Years in business: 2

Trumped!
Launched: 2004
Service rendered: Talk radio
Years in business: 4

A Complete List of Donald Trump?s Business Disasters

Not all business failures result in bankruptcy but all business successes result in longevity. It can be noticed that there was a commonality in all of these enterprises that's reflected in almost everything Trump does. Trump always believes that it will succeed because he's Donald Trump which is why he labels everything after himself. This was highly evident in the Trump Taj Mahal bankruptcy. When the NJ Gaming Commission wanted assurances that Trump wouldn't fund construction costs with junk bonds Trump told them the banks were just waiting to lend him the money because he was Donald Trump. He didn't check with the banks obviously because they didn't loan him the money so he funded it with junk bonds. When the Atlantic City casino revenue history indicated that there wasn't enough revenue to pay back construction costs for the Taj Mahal Trump told the investors buying the junk bonds not to worry. People would flock to his casino because he was Donald Trump. They didn't come and the Taj Mahal went into bankruptcy about 90 days after where the investors were screwed out of the 15% interest he'd promised.

During his campaign Trump claimed he was the only one that could address currency manipulation by China and negotiate a trade agreement that would return jobs to America because he was Donald Trump. He's already abandoned that by getting China to deal with N Korea that China. A four year old child could have "accomplished" this because China has been dealing with N Korea for decades and all it agreed to was to keep on doing what it's always done.

Donald Trump didn't accumulate more wealth because he's Donald Trump. Donald Trump accumulated wealth in spite of being Donald Trump.

Trump's money made money because money always makes money. Based upon Trump's claims of wealth his money would have generated twice as much on it's own than what he now has based upon a financial analysis. In 1982 Trump claimed he had $500 million and in $2016 he claimed he had $10 billion. If he would have just invested $500 million in the S&P 500 in 1982 that investment in 2016 would have been worth $20 billion - Twice as much as what he claimed he had. Effectively by using his money to fund corporations where he was the CEO it cost him $10 billion. Worse still along the way he managed to screw his investors and many of the contractors that he employed.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-pr...233020366.html

Donald Trump is not nor has he ever been a good corporate executive officer. He makes bad decisions and doesn't even exhibit the signs of a good corporate executive. It was for that reason that he made such a good TV personality in the role of a corporate executive - because he was so bad that it made people laugh. A top of the line corporate executive would have been a horrible host of the Apprentice because they'd be boring to watch. Trump's tagline, "You're fired" is exemplary of BAD MANAGEMENT when we address the attributes of the top executives.

What we really see when it comes to Trump's claims related to his business skills are the top three symptoms of a narcissistic personality disorder.

Having an exaggerated sense of self-importance

Expecting to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it

Exaggerating your achievements and talents
So what? How many light bulbs failed before Edison was able to get one to work? How many times did Babe Ruth strike out while establishing a home run record that lasted for decades?

The fact is that he won the Presidential election this past November and is now POTUS. I am not a big Trump supporter as I have stated earlier. In fact, he was almost my last choice of the Republicans that threw their hat into the ring. But all of this vitriol over EVERYTHING he does, is making me sympathetic towards him. And I will have to say, I have agreed with a majority of the decisions he has made so far.

The left needs to grow up and get over it.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GetAClue For This Useful Post:
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 06-18-2017, 03:09 PM
Manitou's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,636
Thanks: 177
Thanked 5,240 Times in 3,810 Posts
Default Re: President Trump Fires Obama’s Anti-Gun Surgeon General

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivaTD View Post
It's also correct that I don't know why Trump fired the Surgeon General but I do know that Trump supporters applauded it claiming it was because the Surgeon General opposed guns without any evidence of that. He opposed gun violence and not the actual firearms from what I read. He was even condemned for not answering a question about guns that he was unqualified to answer.
Well, did the fool oppose all violence, and not just gun violence, or what?

That's like a person saying, "I oppose all violence done by gang thugs, but not a word about violence done by demented people in general.

Face it, all you anti-gunners, along with the snowflakes and weenies, your anti-gun aroma will be apparent everywhere from now on.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
antigun, fires, general, obama’s, president, surgeon, trump

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0