Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > Gun Control/2nd Amendment
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Gun Control/2nd Amendment Discuss New Study Is Latest to Find That Higher Rates of Gun Ownership Lead to Higher Rates o at the General Forum; Originally Posted by MrLiberty Report: As Conceal Carry Permits Climb, Murder Rates Drop - Leah Barkoukis New Study: Over 12.8 ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack (2) Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 07-26-2015, 10:47 PM
foundit66's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,521
Thanks: 10,080
Thanked 15,233 Times in 9,233 Posts
Default Re: New Study Is Latest to Find That Higher Rates of Gun Ownership Lead to Higher Rat

The original article talked about ensuring that several factors are held constant to avoid allowing other factors changing to influence the results.
Was any of that done in what you presented?
__________________
“Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
~Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 07-26-2015, 11:39 PM
MrLiberty's Avatar
professional curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,506
Thanks: 21,953
Thanked 18,609 Times in 11,936 Posts
Default Re: New Study Is Latest to Find That Higher Rates of Gun Ownership Lead to Higher Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
The original article talked about ensuring that several factors are held constant to avoid allowing other factors changing to influence the results.
Was any of that done in what you presented?
In others words they manipulated numbers in order to get the results they wanted.
__________________
Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war.

Donald Trump
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrLiberty For This Useful Post:
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 07-26-2015, 11:59 PM
foundit66's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,521
Thanks: 10,080
Thanked 15,233 Times in 9,233 Posts
Default Re: New Study Is Latest to Find That Higher Rates of Gun Ownership Lead to Higher Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
The original article talked about ensuring that several factors are held constant to avoid allowing other factors changing to influence the results.
Was any of that done in what you presented?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLiberty View Post
In others words they manipulated numbers in order to get the results they wanted.

Wow dude.
Up is down. Black is white. Left is right.
No matter what anything says that implies a liberal is right, it all must be a lie to you...
__________________
“Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
~Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 07-27-2015, 10:32 AM
Manitou's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,082
Thanks: 283
Thanked 5,779 Times in 4,187 Posts
Default Re: New Study Is Latest to Find That Higher Rates of Gun Ownership Lead to Higher Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
No matter what anything says that implies a liberal is right, it all must be a lie to you...

Anything that implies a liberal is right must come from coarsely tuned source, in my honest opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 07-27-2015, 02:42 PM
MrLiberty's Avatar
professional curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,506
Thanks: 21,953
Thanked 18,609 Times in 11,936 Posts
Default Re: New Study Is Latest to Find That Higher Rates of Gun Ownership Lead to Higher Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post

Wow dude.
Up is down. Black is white. Left is right.
No matter what anything says that implies a liberal is right, it all must be a lie to you...
That is all it does, implies. But knowing how liberals, and yes republicans, can fudge numbers to make themselves look better or make an issue look like they are right, I take it with a grain of salt.

The poll takers had to manipulate numbers or pick and chose what numbers they were looking for in order to get the conclusion they wanted. Why is it so hard for you to understand that.

You claim it must be a lie to me because it's liberals, I can also claim the same about you when it is conservative.
__________________
Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war.

Donald Trump
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 07-27-2015, 04:26 PM
foundit66's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,521
Thanks: 10,080
Thanked 15,233 Times in 9,233 Posts
Post Re: New Study Is Latest to Find That Higher Rates of Gun Ownership Lead to Higher Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLiberty View Post
That is all it does, implies. But knowing how liberals, and yes republicans, can fudge numbers to make themselves look better or make an issue look like they are right, I take it with a grain of salt.
What this leaves is a person picking and choosing what is convenient for them to believe...
Provides the capability to sweepingly deny any evidence to the contrary, with no logic / evidence needed to exclude the contrary evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLiberty View Post
The poll takers had to manipulate numbers or pick and chose what numbers they were looking for in order to get the conclusion they wanted. Why is it so hard for you to understand that.
That is not hard for me to understand.
What I reject is you sweeping the study aside with no more than a hypothetical.
If you had any actual concrete example where this study had misconduct, THAT would be something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLiberty View Post
You claim it must be a lie to me because it's liberals, I can also claim the same about you when it is conservative.
Except I don't operate that way.
I look for the actual answers. Not just reject a conservative statement out of hand.
__________________
“Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
~Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 07-27-2015, 07:19 PM
MrLiberty's Avatar
professional curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,506
Thanks: 21,953
Thanked 18,609 Times in 11,936 Posts
Default Re: New Study Is Latest to Find That Higher Rates of Gun Ownership Lead to Higher Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
What this leaves is a person picking and choosing what is convenient for them to believe...
Provides the capability to sweepingly deny any evidence to the contrary, with no logic / evidence needed to exclude the contrary evidence.


That is not hard for me to understand.
What I reject is you sweeping the study aside with no more than a hypothetical.
If you had any actual concrete example where this study had misconduct, THAT would be something.


Except I don't operate that way.
I look for the actual answers. Not just reject a conservative statement out of hand.
I posted the evidence in their own study in post #22, they held several factors at one point in order NOT to change other factors. That's like an unethical scientest saying that no matter how the temperature fluctuated in any given year he held the temp at a constant so he could manufacture the numbers he wanted.

Bull****, that is the way you always operate. Sorry if that offends you but truth is truth.
__________________
Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war.

Donald Trump
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 07-27-2015, 09:44 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 78,246
Thanks: 54,594
Thanked 25,889 Times in 18,456 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: New Study Is Latest to Find That Higher Rates of Gun Ownership Lead to Higher Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
accessibility...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 07-28-2015, 10:11 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Western Iowa
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,666
Thanks: 7,708
Thanked 4,100 Times in 2,669 Posts
Default Re: New Study Is Latest to Find That Higher Rates of Gun Ownership Lead to Higher Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
The original article talked about ensuring that several factors are held constant to avoid allowing other factors changing to influence the results.
Was any of that done in what you presented?
There is a movement with in the USA that runs counter to all you state.

It is the movement of the states to loosen and allow concealed carry for many more citizens. It has been proven over time that C.C. reduces crime and violence in State after State. Not sure but I think the number of States jumping on this band wagon is like 32+ and growing...

Plus I see no logic behind your argument, more guns means more crime and violence, unless only those with guns are criminal's ..

Need less to say I think the study you posted is pure Bullsh1t, and left wing propaganda, they conjure up from time to time so they can feel good about themselves..

Regards, Kirk
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 07-28-2015, 11:19 AM
foundit66's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,521
Thanks: 10,080
Thanked 15,233 Times in 9,233 Posts
Post Re: New Study Is Latest to Find That Higher Rates of Gun Ownership Lead to Higher Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLiberty View Post
I posted the evidence in their own study in post #22, they held several factors at one point in order NOT to change other factors. That's like an unethical scientest saying that no matter how the temperature fluctuated in any given year he held the temp at a constant so he could manufacture the numbers he wanted.

Wow. No. That's not what they did at all.
Your response indicates you don't understand the scientific process involved and you're obviously blasting out at how you think it operates (but it doesn't).


What you just did is the equivalent of reading the flacilidated the widget and you blindly assume that they dumped toxins into the river. Rather than learn what the term actually means, you assign a meaning to the term based on political convenience.

If you're interested in learning how things actually work, you can learn more here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contro...for_a_variable
__________________
“Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
~Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
find, gun, higher, latest, lead, new, ownership, rates, study, that

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/gun-control-2nd-amendment/43916-new-study-latest-find-higher-rates-gun-ownership-lead-higher-rates-o.html
Posted By For Type Date
New Study: Over 12.8 million concealed handgun permits, last year saw by far the largest increase ever in the number of permits - Crime Prevention Research CenterCrime Prevention Research Center This thread Refback 10-07-2015 10:52 AM
Evaluating new research This thread Refback 09-04-2015 05:04 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0