Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > Gun Control/2nd Amendment
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Gun Control/2nd Amendment Discuss Prank turns deadly at the General Forum; While I'm overwhelmingly supportive of gun rights, I do think it is important that legal gun owners not be stupid ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-17-2014, 11:36 PM
Joe Shoe's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,218
Thanks: 822
Thanked 1,589 Times in 1,079 Posts
Default Prank turns deadly

While I'm overwhelmingly supportive of gun rights, I do think it is important that legal gun owners not be stupid and instead be responsible with their firearms. This sounds like a case of someone over-reacting to me and not acting responsibly with a firearm. Gun violence over halloween pranks? Geez, this is crazy. My dad used to sit on the roof and spray pranksters with a hose when they started rolling the trees. They and we always got a good laugh out of it.

Adrian Broadway, 15, fatally shot in prank in Arkansas - CNN.com
The teenagers told police they had thrown toilet paper, eggs and mayonnaise on a car parked there. As they were leaving, a man came out of the house and opened fire. Broadway was struck in the head and died. Another teenager, the driver, suffered injuries to his right arm. He was transported to a hospital, where he was treated and released. Police have identified the shooting suspect as 48-year-old Willie Noble. He was charged with one count of first-degree murder, one count of a terroristic act and five counts of aggravated assault, they said.

"They was trying to be teenagers," Bland said. "As you know teenagers make mistakes, and this was one of those mistakes."
__________________
What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand???
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-18-2014, 12:22 AM
Oftencold's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,936
Thanks: 11,660
Thanked 9,718 Times in 6,203 Posts
Default Re: Prank turns deadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
While I'm overwhelmingly supportive of gun rights, I do think it is important that legal gun owners not be stupid and instead be responsible with their firearms. This sounds like a case of someone over-reacting to me and not acting responsibly with a firearm. Gun violence over halloween pranks? Geez, this is crazy. My dad used to sit on the roof and spray pranksters with a hose when they started rolling the trees. They and we always got a good laugh out of it.

Adrian Broadway, 15, fatally shot in prank in Arkansas - CNN.com
The teenagers told police they had thrown toilet paper, eggs and mayonnaise on a car parked there. As they were leaving, a man came out of the house and opened fire. Broadway was struck in the head and died. Another teenager, the driver, suffered injuries to his right arm. He was transported to a hospital, where he was treated and released. Police have identified the shooting suspect as 48-year-old Willie Noble. He was charged with one count of first-degree murder, one count of a terroristic act and five counts of aggravated assault, they said.

"They was trying to be teenagers," Bland said. "As you know teenagers make mistakes, and this was one of those mistakes."
Obviously the shooter has no excuse, and must be prosecuted and punished.

All that said, I've spent a lifetime in a queer age wherein functional people are expected to take without objection or fuss, a great deal of petty abuse from what are essentially primitive tribal humans.

They vandalize our property and brag about it. We call the overworked police who will fill out a form and little else. We are intimidated in the public square by thugs in strange costumes designed to project a palpable threat of violence. The authorities tel us that this is free expression and that we must tolerate it. We are the targets of protest rallies and hateful rhetoric, often from officials. If we complain, we are loudly denounced as bigots, misers or defectives. We are taxed to support people who are comfortable as parasites and hold us in contempt. If we complain we are ridiculed as greedy and heartless.

Under these conditions people can and will and in increasing numbers, "snap."
__________________
“Quod scripsi, scripsi"

╠═════════════════════════════════════╣

“Serpent's breath, charm of death and life, thy omen of making!”
Or if you're a traditionalist,
“Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha!”
And children, say it like you mean it!

╠═════════════════════════════════════╣

Last edited by Oftencold; 02-18-2014 at 01:48 AM..
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oftencold For This Useful Post:
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-18-2014, 01:36 AM
Jackass master's Avatar
Tired old ass
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: on top of the mountain
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,437
Thanks: 2,946
Thanked 4,198 Times in 2,459 Posts
Default Re: Prank turns deadly

He could have scared them good without shooting them.
__________________
I don't have much ammo, but will gladly waste some on you!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-18-2014, 07:30 AM
Oftencold's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,936
Thanks: 11,660
Thanked 9,718 Times in 6,203 Posts
Default Re: Prank turns deadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
While I'm overwhelmingly supportive of gun rights, I do think it is important that legal gun owners not be stupid and instead be responsible with their firearms. This sounds like a case of someone over-reacting to me and not acting responsibly with a firearm. Gun violence over halloween pranks? Geez, this is crazy. My dad used to sit on the roof and spray pranksters with a hose when they started rolling the trees. They and we always got a good laugh out of it.

Adrian Broadway, 15, fatally shot in prank in Arkansas - CNN.com
The teenagers told police they had thrown toilet paper, eggs and mayonnaise on a car parked there. As they were leaving, a man came out of the house and opened fire. Broadway was struck in the head and died. Another teenager, the driver, suffered injuries to his right arm. He was transported to a hospital, where he was treated and released. Police have identified the shooting suspect as 48-year-old Willie Noble. He was charged with one count of first-degree murder, one count of a terroristic act and five counts of aggravated assault, they said.

"They was trying to be teenagers," Bland said. "As you know teenagers make mistakes, and this was one of those mistakes."
I suppose that it's a failing of mine that I find myself unable to get as worked up about this as I should.

I've seen articles over the last few years where teenagers and young adults died trying to save others. Or fighting for their country. Or were killed in accidents while working to support their families. Or from illnesses or in accidents after having made careful arrangements for their organs to be harvested. And the Public doesn't give a carp.

Yet when some delinquent creeping about an apartment complex in the dark attacks a resident whom he is briefly surprised to find willing to defend himself gets killed, there is stage manged pubic theater to depict angst. Or when vandals hanging out with a much older man get shot for their trouble, we get this sort of story, that I'd imagine will spawn months of follow ups.

I should care more I admit it. It is entirely wrong of me not to, and I'll have to work on that. In the meantime, I'll take some small comfort in trying to remember the young who died and thereby actually made our society the poorer in doing so. Someone should.
__________________
“Quod scripsi, scripsi"

╠═════════════════════════════════════╣

“Serpent's breath, charm of death and life, thy omen of making!”
Or if you're a traditionalist,
“Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha!”
And children, say it like you mean it!

╠═════════════════════════════════════╣

Last edited by Oftencold; 02-18-2014 at 12:54 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-18-2014, 01:00 PM
Joe Shoe's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,218
Thanks: 822
Thanked 1,589 Times in 1,079 Posts
Default Re: Prank turns deadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oftencold View Post
Obviously the shooter has no excuse, and must be prosecuted and punished.

All that said, I've spent a lifetime in a queer age wherein functional people are expected to take without objection or fuss, a great deal of petty abuse from what are essentially primitive tribal humans.

They vandalize our property and brag about it. We call the overworked police who will fill out a form and little else. We are intimidated in the public square by thugs in strange costumes designed to project a palpable threat of violence. The authorities tel us that this is free expression and that we must tolerate it. We are the targets of protest rallies and hateful rhetoric, often from officials. If we complain, we are loudly denounced as bigots, misers or defectives. We are taxed to support people who are comfortable as parasites and hold us in contempt. If we complain we are ridiculed as greedy and heartless.

Under these conditions people can and will and in increasing numbers, "snap."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oftencold View Post
I suppose that it's a failing of mine that I find myself unable to get as worked up about this as I should.

I've seen articles over the last few years where teenagers and young adults died trying to save others. Or fighting for their country. Or were killed in accidents while working to support their families. Or from illnesses or in accidents after having made careful arrangements for their organs to be harvested. And the Public doesn't give a carp.

Yet when some delinquent creeping about an apartment complex in the dark attacks a resident whom he is briefly surprised to find willing to defend himself gets killed, there is stage manged pubic theater to depict angst. Or when vandals hanging out with a much older man get shot for their trouble, we get this sort of story, that I'd imagine will spawn months of follow ups.

I should care more I admit it. It is entirely wrong of me not to, and I'll have to work on that. In the meantime, I'll take some small comfort in trying to remember the young who died and thereby actually made our society the poorer in doing so. Someone should.
I understand your point. I'm from a time when it just wasn't a big deal to roll someone's yard--homeowners got a laugh out of it even. Egging a car? That was a bigger deal, but nothing to shoot someone over.
Part of it is our culture--nowadays people can't assume a trespasser's intentions are violently malevolent.
__________________
What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand???
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-18-2014, 01:01 PM
Joe Shoe's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,218
Thanks: 822
Thanked 1,589 Times in 1,079 Posts
Default Re: Prank turns deadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass master View Post
He could have scared them good without shooting them.
Might be a good use of racking the pump on a pump shotgun. Nothing quite like that sound to send someone running.
__________________
What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand???
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-18-2014, 01:38 PM
Manitou's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 20,420
Thanks: 563
Thanked 6,602 Times in 4,739 Posts
Default Re: Prank turns deadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
Might be a good use of racking the pump on a pump shotgun. Nothing quite like that sound to send someone running.
I still remember some group of teenaged boys hauling ass and jumping an eight foot chain link fence like they were catapulted, after they decided one night to use my front porch as their headquarters for mischief planning. I racked a 12 gauge shotgun not five feet from where they were assembled, and WHOOSH! off they ran. I miss that pop gun. All I own is a Crosman BB gun now.

Little note--you see some strange people gathered on your property late at night, or at any time, don't assume they are lost if they are laughing it up.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-18-2014, 06:05 PM
MrLiberty's Avatar
professional curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,506
Thanks: 21,953
Thanked 18,612 Times in 11,938 Posts
Default Re: Prank turns deadly

I'm in the OC camp, I should care but I don't. To many times I have seen punk kids egg on a middle aged person knowing full well that they can't do anything. These kids are being taught to be disrespectful of any and everyone because of political correctness all they have to do is whine about being hit and the adult goes to jail.

My ex had a big mouth son, and he egged on an adult who eventually popped the little bastard in the mouth. The city attorney wouldn't prosecute because the neighbors said the little punk wouldn't stop. This is how it should be.

The kids in the car pushed and pushed and pushed someone to their limit and this guy snapped, I feel more sorry for his ass than I do for the kids.

__________________
Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war.

Donald Trump
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-18-2014, 09:47 PM
Scholar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,739
Thanks: 7,239
Thanked 2,450 Times in 1,679 Posts
Default Re: Prank turns deadly

A paintball gun would be fun to use on egg throwers
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
deadly, prank, turns

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0