Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Forum > Gun Control/2nd Amendment
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Gun Control/2nd Amendment Discuss Background Check law dies in Senate at the General Forum; Originally Posted by saltwn All it would basically have done was extend existing background checks to Internet and gun show ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 04-17-2013, 08:27 PM
Scholar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,739
Thanks: 7,239
Thanked 2,450 Times in 1,679 Posts
Default Re: Background Check law dies in Senate

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
All it would basically have done was extend existing background checks to Internet and gun show sales.
What are they talking about "internet sales?" And what's the point of outlawing gunshow sales when it would still be legal to buy or sell a gun in the parking lot of a McDonalds?
it was a meaningless law written by people who know nothing about guns.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 04-17-2013, 08:29 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 81,376
Thanks: 55,461
Thanked 26,284 Times in 18,810 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Background Check law dies in Senate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
What are they talking about "internet sales?" And what's the point of outlawing gunshow sales when it would still be legal to buy or sell a gun in the parking lot of a McDonalds?
it was a meaningless law written by people who know nothing about guns.
no it would not be legal to buy or sell a gun at mcdonalds or anywhere.
the exceptions are estate settling, gifts within families and a few others.
__________________
Russia planted stories and the GOP believed them.
That's too funnie.
The GOP is a joke.
~DB
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 04-17-2013, 08:35 PM
Scholar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,739
Thanks: 7,239
Thanked 2,450 Times in 1,679 Posts
Default Re: Background Check law dies in Senate

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
no it would not be legal to buy or sell a gun at mcdonalds or anywhere.
the exceptions are estate settling, gifts within families and a few others.
OK then in order to stop that the government would HAVE to make a National Gun Registry (no other way to make that work) which the government has denied they want to do.

As for the 90 percent in favor of the law I don't believe it.
There are almost as many guns in this country as people and guns are more popular than politicians of either party.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 04-17-2013, 08:44 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 81,376
Thanks: 55,461
Thanked 26,284 Times in 18,810 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Background Check law dies in Senate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
OK then in order to stop that the government would HAVE to make a National Gun Registry (no other way to make that work) which the government has denied they want to do.

As for the 90 percent in favor of the law I don't believe it.
There are almost as many guns in this country as people and guns are more popular than politicians of either party.
I don't know if your wording applies, but it is the same thing we do now at regular gun sellers. This just brings the outliers in making them comply with existing law that is ongoing elsewhere already.
__________________
Russia planted stories and the GOP believed them.
That's too funnie.
The GOP is a joke.
~DB
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 04-17-2013, 08:58 PM
Scholar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,739
Thanks: 7,239
Thanked 2,450 Times in 1,679 Posts
Default Re: Background Check law dies in Senate

Under the current law the dealer checks the buyer's criminal history. Under the proposed law if I could sell a gun to a family member without a check they in turn could sell it to someone without a check and on to the next buyer. There would be no way to track the gun without a registry. This is the whole point of the law in my opinion. It is a slippery slope. This (proposed)law is being set up to deliberately fail (or at least look that way) so the next law would be tighter. The noose then tightens more and more and more.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 04-17-2013, 09:18 PM
Hairy Jello's Avatar
Deplorable
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 24,551
Thanks: 1,966
Thanked 13,204 Times in 8,266 Posts
Default Re: Background Check law dies in Senate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch907 View Post
Source? I'm not buying this at all, you couldn't get 90% of Americans to agree which direction north is.
You're silly. We all know north is up.
__________________

Not an accurate representation of a white person.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 04-17-2013, 09:21 PM
joec's Avatar
Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Russell Springs, Kentucky
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,869
Thanks: 65
Thanked 1,246 Times in 874 Posts
Default Re: Background Check law dies in Senate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
Under the current law the dealer checks the buyer's criminal history. Under the proposed law if I could sell a gun to a family member without a check they in turn could sell it to someone without a check and on to the next buyer. There would be no way to track the gun without a registry. This is the whole point of the law in my opinion. It is a slippery slope. This (proposed)law is being set up to deliberately fail (or at least look that way) so the next law would be tighter. The noose then tightens more and more and more.
Actually if you have read the bill it clearly states that registries or barred by law as they are now. So you are basically repeating the lie which is conflating to things that have nothing to do with each other. Now I agree it had nothing to do with giving a gun to a family member or a neighbor without a back ground check so it had been watered down as the NRA wanted then they bitched it wasn't going to work. Now I expected this bill had a 50/50 chance of passing but felt the other two wouldn't. Either way get ready now for 2014 and we will see how that goes and if the voters like it really.
__________________
Joe

I used to be Apathetic. But Now I Just Don't Care.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joec For This Useful Post:
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 04-17-2013, 09:21 PM
rivrrat's Avatar
Queen of Awesomeness
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,833
Thanks: 3,272
Thanked 10,473 Times in 6,022 Posts
Default Re: Background Check law dies in Senate

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Heart Beaver View Post
You're silly. We all know north us up.
No, it's that way >>>
__________________


Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.

Gypsy Soul Memories
Scuba Diver Life
My YouTube Channel
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 04-17-2013, 09:27 PM
Scholar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,739
Thanks: 7,239
Thanked 2,450 Times in 1,679 Posts
Default Re: Background Check law dies in Senate

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec View Post
Actually if you have read the bill it clearly states that registries or barred by law as they are now. So you are basically repeating the lie which is conflating to things that have nothing to do with each other. Now I agree it had nothing to do with giving a gun to a family member or a neighbor without a back ground check so it had been watered down as the NRA wanted then they bitched it wasn't going to work. Now I expected this bill had a 50/50 chance of passing but felt the other two wouldn't. Either way get ready now for 2014 and we will see how that goes and if the voters like it really.
Infringing on my right to bear arms is also
Quote:
barred by law
so I sure don't trust the Government on this issue.
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 04-17-2013, 09:42 PM
MrLiberty's Avatar
professional curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,506
Thanks: 21,953
Thanked 18,612 Times in 11,938 Posts
Default Re: Background Check law dies in Senate

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec View Post
Actually if you have read the bill it clearly states that registries or barred by law as they are now. So you are basically repeating the lie which is conflating to things that have nothing to do with each other. Now I agree it had nothing to do with giving a gun to a family member or a neighbor without a back ground check so it had been watered down as the NRA wanted then they bitched it wasn't going to work. Now I expected this bill had a 50/50 chance of passing but felt the other two wouldn't. Either way get ready now for 2014 and we will see how that goes and if the voters like it really.
Actually, I have a problem trusting government to keep their word on anything. They may put that in the bill but tomorrow find a way to go around something they themselves just past. I have never known our government to keep their promises, just ask the native Americans how that worked out.
__________________
Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war.

Donald Trump
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrLiberty For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
background, check, dies, law, senate

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0