Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > Political Forums > Elections
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Elections Discuss BREAKING: Corey Stewart wins Virginia GOP Senate primary at the Political Forums; https://thinkprogress.org/stewart-pr...-51d0f265730e/ Former Virginia gubernatorial candidate and Confederate apologist Corey Stewart has won the Republican nomination for Senate. He will face ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2018, 12:41 AM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 77,306
Thanks: 54,355
Thanked 25,809 Times in 18,390 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default BREAKING: Corey Stewart wins Virginia GOP Senate primary

https://thinkprogress.org/stewart-pr...-51d0f265730e/

Quote:
Former Virginia gubernatorial candidate and Confederate apologist Corey Stewart has won the Republican nomination for Senate. He will face Sen. Tim Kaine (D-VA) in the general election this November.
never say never.
__________________
Trump announces that the United States will pull out of the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty that the US has been in for 31 years.

Welcome back to the Cold War. This time it's scarier

And no, It's not Obama, or Hillary or the Democrat's fault. It's ALL TRUMP!
Brian K
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2018, 08:21 AM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,292
Thanks: 8,754
Thanked 7,194 Times in 4,348 Posts
Default Re: BREAKING: Corey Stewart wins Virginia GOP Senate primary

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
Stewart has a shot of upsetting the Kaine, the do nothing partisan loser of the last VP election.

Next up, Warner

TAGA. Take America Back Again.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2018, 01:51 PM
WallyWager's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Michigan
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,413
Thanks: 1,547
Thanked 8,763 Times in 5,575 Posts
Default Re: BREAKING: Corey Stewart wins Virginia GOP Senate primary

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
Stewart has a shot of upsetting the Kaine, the do nothing partisan loser of the last VP election.

Next up, Warner

TAGA. Take America Back Again.
Really doubting that. Corey Stewart is super pro-Trump in a state that really doesn't seem to care for that brand of politics. Voters there rejected Trump in 2016, rejected Stewart in the last primary in 2017, Gillespie lost the gubernatorial race by 9 after trying to adopt his rhetoric, and there are no plans by the GOP to spend money on him.

On top of that, Tim Kaine is well-liked in Virginia, and the state has been moving towards the Democrats in recent years.

Stewart is a bad Republican candidate at a bad time and place to be one.
__________________
"There's two types of people: people that look at porn, and people that lie about it. But I wasn't looking!" -

Alex Jones
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WallyWager For This Useful Post:
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2018, 02:28 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,292
Thanks: 8,754
Thanked 7,194 Times in 4,348 Posts
Default Re: BREAKING: Corey Stewart wins Virginia GOP Senate primary

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWager View Post
Really doubting that. Corey Stewart is super pro-Trump in a state that really doesn't seem to care for that brand of politics. Voters there rejected Trump in 2016, rejected Stewart in the last primary in 2017, Gillespie lost the gubernatorial race by 9 after trying to adopt his rhetoric, and there are no plans by the GOP to spend money on him.

On top of that, Tim Kaine is well-liked in Virginia, and the state has been moving towards the Democrats in recent years.

Stewart is a bad Republican candidate at a bad time and place to be one.
I think Stewart is mostly pro Trump. He and Trump had a falling out when he was Trump's campaign manager. That probably won't matter in a Senator race.

Kaine is not all that well liked in Virginia, Northern Va, maybe, but there are 4 distinct parts of Virginia. I'm not sure of the swing. In state politics, we are Republican led by one mismarked vote and picking the winner out of a bowl.

We IMO have a sorry lot of Republican leaders who have a habit of picking terrible candidates by convention. This time the voters decided.

I'm not expecting a 10 point win by Stewart, but I don't rule out a win.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2018, 05:01 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 77,306
Thanks: 54,355
Thanked 25,809 Times in 18,390 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: BREAKING: Corey Stewart wins Virginia GOP Senate primary

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
...

TAGA. Take America Back Again.
Away from two sane men to some reality tv hacks
__________________
Trump announces that the United States will pull out of the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty that the US has been in for 31 years.

Welcome back to the Cold War. This time it's scarier

And no, It's not Obama, or Hillary or the Democrat's fault. It's ALL TRUMP!
Brian K
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2018, 06:31 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,292
Thanks: 8,754
Thanked 7,194 Times in 4,348 Posts
Default Re: BREAKING: Corey Stewart wins Virginia GOP Senate primary

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
Away from two sane men to some reality tv hacks
What are you talking about?
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2018, 01:44 AM
WallyWager's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Michigan
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,413
Thanks: 1,547
Thanked 8,763 Times in 5,575 Posts
Default Re: BREAKING: Corey Stewart wins Virginia GOP Senate primary

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
I think Stewart is mostly pro Trump. He and Trump had a falling out when he was Trump's campaign manager. That probably won't matter in a Senator race.
Stewart is a Trumpian politician, and he has the Trump connection, not good in a statewide race in VA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
Kaine is not all that well liked in Virginia, Northern Va, maybe, but there are 4 distinct parts of Virginia. I'm not sure of the swing. In state politics, we are Republican led by one mismarked vote and picking the winner out of a bowl.
Republicans lost a lot of seats in 2017, went from 66-34 to 51-49.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin...election,_2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
We IMO have a sorry lot of Republican leaders who have a habit of picking terrible candidates by convention. This time the voters decided.
The GOP primary voters also chose Ed Gillespie, by a similar percentage of the vote last year. That didn't go very well in the general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
I'm not expecting a 10 point win by Stewart, but I don't rule out a win.
Considering that Republicans haven't won a statewide race since 2009, the state trend towards Democrats especially with the population growth in NoVa, and that it's a midterm election with an especially motivated Democratic voter base, Stewart is pretty well disadvantaged given that and his own politics.

Unless Kaine murders a hooker on 5th Ave, he's fine.
__________________
"There's two types of people: people that look at porn, and people that lie about it. But I wasn't looking!" -

Alex Jones
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2018, 07:10 AM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,292
Thanks: 8,754
Thanked 7,194 Times in 4,348 Posts
Default Re: BREAKING: Corey Stewart wins Virginia GOP Senate primary

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWager View Post
Stewart is a Trumpian politician, and he has the Trump connection, not good in a statewide race in VA.



Republicans lost a lot of seats in 2017, went from 66-34 to 51-49.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin...election,_2017



The GOP primary voters also chose Ed Gillespie, by a similar percentage of the vote last year. That didn't go very well in the general.



Considering that Republicans haven't won a statewide race since 2009, the state trend towards Democrats especially with the population growth in NoVa, and that it's a midterm election with an especially motivated Democratic voter base, Stewart is pretty well disadvantaged given that and his own politics.

Unless Kaine murders a hooker on 5th Ave, he's fine.
I'm not saying Stewart will win. I'm saying Stewart has a shot.
Gillespie was another establishment politician. And was heavily backed by the establishment. Stewart did surprisingly well. Virginia is a good 'ol boy southern state. It's also a state that gets enough of one party every decade or so.

There's no chance that Kaine will murder a hooker. That would require actually doing something. He's also would need to seek DNC permission before starting. Permission he party probably wouldn't get.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-26-2018, 04:49 PM
WallyWager's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Michigan
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,413
Thanks: 1,547
Thanked 8,763 Times in 5,575 Posts
Default Re: BREAKING: Corey Stewart wins Virginia GOP Senate primary

Quinnipiac poll of VA-Sen: Tim Kaine (D) 54%, Corey Stewart (R) 36%

https://poll.qu.edu/virginia/release...ReleaseID=2552

If Corey Stewart wants to be the next senator from Virginia, he has a lot of work to do. He has to outdo Gilespie and Trump in a blue-ing state in the midst of a Dem surge.

Other notes:
Kaine personal favorability: 51/34
Kaine job approval: 56/36
Stewart favorability: 27/30

Northam job approval: 49/25
Warner job approval: 53/31

Trump job approval: 38/56

Generic ballot: 51% D, 40% R
__________________
"There's two types of people: people that look at porn, and people that lie about it. But I wasn't looking!" -

Alex Jones

Last edited by WallyWager; 06-26-2018 at 04:56 PM..
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WallyWager For This Useful Post:
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06-26-2018, 05:09 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 77,306
Thanks: 54,355
Thanked 25,809 Times in 18,390 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: BREAKING: Corey Stewart wins Virginia GOP Senate primary

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWager View Post
Quinnipiac poll of VA-Sen: Tim Kaine (D) 54%, Corey Stewart (R) 36%

https://poll.qu.edu/virginia/release...ReleaseID=2552

If Corey Stewart wants to be the next senator from Virginia, he has a lot of work to do. He has to outdo Gilespie and Trump in a blue-ing state in the midst of a Dem surge.

Other notes:
Kaine personal favorability: 51/34
Kaine job approval: 56/36
Stewart favorability: 27/30

Northam job approval: 49/25
Warner job approval: 53/31

Trump job approval: 38/56

Generic ballot: 51% D, 40% R
wow I remember the late 80s in Virginia. Whole different story than now.
__________________
Trump announces that the United States will pull out of the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty that the US has been in for 31 years.

Welcome back to the Cold War. This time it's scarier

And no, It's not Obama, or Hillary or the Democrat's fault. It's ALL TRUMP!
Brian K
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
breaking, corey, gop, primary, senate, stewart, virginia, wins

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0