Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > Political Forums > Elections
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Elections Discuss McCain picks Alaskan Palin at the Political Forums; Originally Posted by Michael1 Actually, most people I know who won't be voting for Obama have to go to extremes ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 08-29-2008, 04:35 PM
foundit66's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,615
Thanks: 10,112
Thanked 15,296 Times in 9,272 Posts
Post Re: McCain makes surprise pick of woman governor for VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1 View Post
Actually, most people I know who won't be voting for Obama have to go to extremes to make sure people understand it's not because he's black.
I'm quite sure that Palin being a woman was something considered. I don't think it was the only thing considered though...
Why is it those who claim to be color/gender blind are always the ones most adamant about bringing up gender and color?
I think you miss the context, and thus the sarcasm of my comments.
There have been a couple people on this board tossing around accusations that the reason for people voting for Obama was because he was black. A "white guilt" issue.
THEY brought up the issue first.
It is with reference to those initial statements that I make my sarcastic rejoinder.

To those who don't try to make such "white guilt" accusations, my comments that you quoted should be ignored.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foundit66 For This Useful Post:
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 08-29-2008, 05:10 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PNW
Gender: Male
Posts: 70,513
Thanks: 22,404
Thanked 18,920 Times in 13,935 Posts
Default Re: McCain picks Alaskan Palin

Regardless of Palin. Like her or not. This is what bugs me. There is only one reason McCain picked her. Politics. Was he thinking about our countries safety when he chose her. He was trying to play a political gamble to win the Presidency for is own interests. He obviously wasn't considering our real needs. Just what he thought would help him win. Thats wanting it too much.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 08-29-2008, 05:54 PM
tristanrobin's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 2,633
Thanks: 964
Thanked 2,010 Times in 1,049 Posts
Default Re: McCain picks Alaskan Palin

It could also backfire.

Jon just came home from school, and said that his secretary (a very smart and savvy lady who is also - unfortuntely - very very conservative. She said that she was very disappointed with the choice McCain made. She doesn't think a woman SHOULD be president.

I just thought that was interesting. With so much talk about pandering to women, I never really thought about the ultra-conservatives who might very well not believe that a married, mother of five with a down's syndrome baby should be attempting to take on this kind of responsibility outside the home.
__________________
"No man is happy without a delusion of some kind. Delusions are as necessary to our happiness as realities."
...Christian Nestell Bovee
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 08-29-2008, 06:11 PM
foundit66's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,615
Thanks: 10,112
Thanked 15,296 Times in 9,272 Posts
Post Re: McCain picks Alaskan Palin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanrobin View Post
It could also backfire.

Jon just came home from school, and said that his secretary (a very smart and savvy lady who is also - unfortuntely - very very conservative. She said that she was very disappointed with the choice McCain made. She doesn't think a woman SHOULD be president.

I just thought that was interesting. With so much talk about pandering to women, I never really thought about the ultra-conservatives who might very well not believe that a married, mother of five with a down's syndrome baby should be attempting to take on this kind of responsibility outside the home.
"I'm an old-fashioned woman. Men should take care of women, and if men were taking care of women (today) we wouldn't have to vote."
State Sen. Kay O'Connor, Kansas Republican--September 28, 2001--Kansas City Star

What you describe is very real.
How significant it is (number of voters it will affect) is a different matter...
According to the lastest Gallup survey, nearly two-thirds of Americans now believe the country is ready for a black and/or woman President.
race42008.com Blog Archive Gallup: America Ready for a Black Woman President

How that transfers over to the current competing situation, black president and a female VICE-president, is another issue...


(An interesting aside note is that 40% in that poll said they thought America "wasn't ready" for a black president. Poll psychology relates that "transferrence" can occur whereby personal opinions are expressed more freely when the question is about "others" being "ready" or "will do" something, when the comment really speaks more to their personal position.)
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 08-29-2008, 06:15 PM
One
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Central Florida
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,819
Thanks: 526
Thanked 524 Times in 411 Posts
Default Re: McCain picks Alaskan Palin

EXECUTIVE EXPERIENCE. Her original political office (first council person then Mayor)was the same year Obummer was being introduced to Chicago THUG politics to be an "organizer' (not an office holder) by an admitted terrorist that escaped prosecution in a crooked court that said that he was unfairly surveiled.. Actually Obummer has never actually "won" an election he has succeeded in "removing" every one of his opponents(kinda like the Clintons). But the real question is WHY is so much of Obummer's history either HIDDEN or DENIED? or both..... DUH!
__________________
"Most people can't think, most of the remainder won't think, the small fraction who do think mostly can't do it very well. The extremely tiny fraction who think regularly, accurately, creatively and without self delusion---In the long run these are the only people that count." ***** Robert Heinlein
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Adept1 For This Useful Post:
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 08-29-2008, 06:38 PM
Intern
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: McCain picks Alaskan Palin

This my rant.

McCain has the female base, now?....

Does Mccain think this stuff through, IM not quite sure he does? Lets face it he doesn't. OK, Let's add a woman (Palin) to the ticket. We can grab those Hillary voters for sure now. McCain "assuming" that just because a woman is on the ticket that he is going be able to get that vote, because of this move. IM sure that women will not vote for a woman just because she on the ticket. Women don't vote on the gender as the Mccain camp would like you to believe. If women did vote on gender, then what was the big issue over rumors Obama picking a female senator from Kansas, that was not Hillary. The women hated it. See my point?

McCain's thought process?....

What about the problems, and the forseen-bagage that came along with this pick? I don't think McCain gave any credence to that thought. Seeing as the Hillary voters was only thing on McCain's mind, he didn't give any thought beyond that. I can see that McCain doesn't think long term when picking a Vice president. What was one thing McCain hammered again and again? It was the "experience" issue. So they pick Sara Palin. "Opps." She has considerably less experience then Obama. But I guess McCain forgot about that "issue" didn't he?

You would assume that McCain wouldn't want a pick that could bring "controversy" to the table for the McCain campaign. Well, she does bring "controversy" to the table. It looks to be a another big fault by McCain, in choosing Palin as a Vice president. Lets not worry though because "I" McCain will have that female vote that wouldn't vote for Obama come this fall.

What about the picking "a" Vice President for a state? That would be a smater move on Mccain's part. His pick wasn't though. McCain didn't see a state strategy as working? Palin doesn't help him in this department at all. I assumed he would want to fight for every state he could win. Tom Ridge and Pennsylvania Vs Biden and Pennsylvania there is a battle for that state.

There is my rant.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 08-29-2008, 06:42 PM
cnredd's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Gender: Male
Posts: 55,078
Thanks: 2,235
Thanked 35,313 Times in 20,258 Posts
Default Re: McCain picks Alaskan Palin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adept1 View Post
EXECUTIVE EXPERIENCE. Her original political office (first council person then Mayor)was the same year Obummer was being introduced to Chicago THUG politics to be an "organizer' (not an office holder) by an admitted terrorist that escaped prosecution in a crooked court that said that he was unfairly surveiled.. Actually Obummer has never actually "won" an election he has succeeded in "removing" every one of his opponents(kinda like the Clintons). But the real question is WHY is so much of Obummer's history either HIDDEN or DENIED? or both..... DUH!
Executive experience is a big point...which is a touch hypocritical for TWO reasons...

1) Very rarely does a Governor have foreign policy to begin with...This usually happens if the governor was something else BEFORE being the governor (such as former ambassador Bill Richardson...Which would have been a BETTER pick than Biden)...

By using the "no foreign policy" angle, they are NULLIFYING EVERY FUTURE CANDIDATE who was a governor but not something else (like ambassador)...That's the very FIRST THING that will come up the second a future Democratic governor attempts to get a nomination...

"Obama & Biden declared you unfit for office back in 2008!"...

2) Ummmm...let's take a trip back in the time machine at the last two Democratic presidents, shall we? (Not VICE-presidents mind you..."actual presidents")...

Governor James Carter - no foreign policy experience

Governor William Clinton - no foreign policy experience

This is right up there with the Democrats disagreeing with everything in 2004 that they agree with in 2008 and vice-versa...

2004 Democrats on Kerry - "We got an actual military guy who saw action...That counts for alot!"

2008 Democrats on Obama's military experience- (crickets)

2008 Democrats on McCain - "He's a guy who got rich and has a whole bunch of houses because of his wife!"

2004 Democrats on Kerry, who was a guy who got rich and has a whole bunch of houses because of his wife - (crickets)

2004 Democrats on Edwards - "He shouldn't be president...maybe one day, but right now he doesn't have enough experience."

2008 Democrats on Obama - (crickets)

Just stick your finger in the wind and make it up on the fly...
__________________
"You get the respect that you give" - cnredd
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 08-29-2008, 07:44 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PNW
Gender: Male
Posts: 70,513
Thanks: 22,404
Thanked 18,920 Times in 13,935 Posts
Default Re: McCain picks Alaskan Palin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnredd View Post
Executive experience is a big point...which is a touch hypocritical for TWO reasons...

1) Very rarely does a Governor have foreign policy to begin with...This usually happens if the governor was something else BEFORE being the governor (such as former ambassador Bill Richardson...Which would have been a BETTER pick than Biden)...

By using the "no foreign policy" angle, they are NULLIFYING EVERY FUTURE CANDIDATE who was a governor but not something else (like ambassador)...That's the very FIRST THING that will come up the second a future Democratic governor attempts to get a nomination...

"Obama & Biden declared you unfit for office back in 2008!"...

2) Ummmm...let's take a trip back in the time machine at the last two Democratic presidents, shall we? (Not VICE-presidents mind you..."actual presidents")...

Governor James Carter - no foreign policy experience

Governor William Clinton - no foreign policy experience

This is right up there with the Democrats disagreeing with everything in 2004 that they agree with in 2008 and vice-versa...

2004 Democrats on Kerry - "We got an actual military guy who saw action...That counts for alot!"

2008 Democrats on Obama's military experience- (crickets)

2008 Democrats on McCain - "He's a guy who got rich and has a whole bunch of houses because of his wife!"

2004 Democrats on Kerry, who was a guy who got rich and has a whole bunch of houses because of his wife - (crickets)

2004 Democrats on Edwards - "He shouldn't be president...maybe one day, but right now he doesn't have enough experience."

2008 Democrats on Obama - (crickets)

Just stick your finger in the wind and make it up on the fly...
Carter actually had experience besides Governor.
Naval career

He attended Georgia Tech and Georgia Southwestern State University before receiving an appointment to the United States Naval Academy where he received a Bachelor of Science degree in 1946 and is the only graduate of the Naval Academy to become President.[6] Carter finished a high 59th out of his Academy class of 820. Carter served on surface ships and on diesel-electric submarines in the Atlantic and Pacific fleets. As a junior officer, he completed qualification for command of a diesel-electric submarine.

He applied for the U.S. Navy's fledgling nuclear submarine program run by then Captain Hyman G. Rickover. Rickover's demands on his men and machines were legendary, and Carter later said that, next to his parents, Rickover had the greatest influence on him.
Jimmy Carter as a Midshipman at the US Naval Academy
Jimmy Carter as a Midshipman at the US Naval Academy

Carter has said that he loved the Navy, and had planned to make it his career. His ultimate goal was to become Chief of Naval Operations. Carter felt the best route for promotion was with submarine duty since he felt that nuclear power would be increasingly used in submarines. After six years of military service, Carter earned the position of senior officer on the USS Seawolf.[7] During service on the diesel-electric submarine, USS Pomfret, Carter was almost washed overboard.[8] Carter completed a non-credit introductory course in nuclear reactor power at Union College starting in March 1953. This followed Carter's first-hand experience as part of a group of American and Canadian servicemen who took part in cleaning up after a nuclear meltdown at Canada's Chalk River Laboratories reactor.[9][10]

Upon the death of his father, James Earl Carter, Sr., in July 1953, however, Lieutenant Carter immediately resigned his commission, and he was discharged from the Navy on 9 October 1953. [11][12] This cut short his nuclear power training school, and he was never able to serve on a nuclear submarine, since the first boat of that fleet, the USS Nautilus, was launched on 17 January 1955, over a year after his discharge from the Navy.[13]
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikeyy For This Useful Post:
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 08-29-2008, 11:12 PM
Michael1's Avatar
Godfather
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Greensboro, NC
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,538
Thanks: 1,136
Thanked 1,503 Times in 1,033 Posts
Default Re: McCain picks Alaskan Palin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyy View Post
Regardless of Palin. Like her or not. This is what bugs me. There is only one reason McCain picked her. Politics. Was he thinking about our countries safety when he chose her. He was trying to play a political gamble to win the Presidency for is own interests. He obviously wasn't considering our real needs. Just what he thought would help him win. Thats wanting it too much.
That's the most outrageous thing I've ever read from you.

Insert 'Biden' for Palin and you're completely exposed as hypocritical.

Quote:
There is only one reason Obama picked him. Politics. Was he thinking about our countries economic welfare when he chose him. He was trying to play a political gamble to win the Presidency for is own interests. He obviously wasn't considering our real needs. Just what he thought would help him win. Thats wanting it too much
Your own freaking favorite son is exactly what you accuse others to be, you're simply too blind to recognize how misguided you are these days.



Stop being so knee-jerk and partisan for a change. In all honesty, the thing I heard a few times at work today ..."VP MILF" comments, sort of disgusted me. It seemed as if the people who disliked her most were also the ones interested in telling me they might not kick her out of bed.

... and the right is considered politically incorrect and out of touch ???

I don't know the governor from Alaska. She might be all you paint her to be in the colors your talking points were provided to you.

In the end, let's be honest ... you're inclined to denigrate Palin.

There are a few, very few, here that aren't partisan and might say good words / bad words to both sides. You're not one of them...
__________________
Dudes ... you're just NOT THAT MUCH ****ING SMARTER than all of us. GET OVER YOURSELVES!
-- Me, to President Obama and the rest of his self-loving amateur staff.


Last edited by Michael1; 08-29-2008 at 11:23 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 08-29-2008, 11:34 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PNW
Gender: Male
Posts: 70,513
Thanks: 22,404
Thanked 18,920 Times in 13,935 Posts
Default Re: McCain picks Alaskan Palin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1 View Post
That's the most outrageous thing I've ever read from you.

Insert 'Biden' for Palin and you're completely exposed as hypocritical.



Your own freaking favorite son is exactly what you accuse others to be, you're simply too blind to recognize how misguided you are these days.



Stop being so knee-jerk and partisan for a change. In all honesty, the thing I heard a few times at work today ..."VP MILF" comments, sort of disgusted me. It seemed as if the people who disliked her most were also the ones interested in telling me they might not kick her out of bed.

... and the right is considered politically incorrect and out of touch ???

I don't know the governor from Alaska. She might be all you paint her to be in the colors your talking points were provided to you.

In the end, let's be honest ... you're inclined to denigrate Palin.

There are a few, very few, here that aren't partisan and might say good words / bad words to both sides. You're not one of them...
I am not denigrating her. McCain and Obama are the candidates. The have to pick someone to step in in case of emergency. Do you really believe thats why he chose her. Lets face it. He chose her because he has some strategy to use her to win. Not because she was high on his list to run the country. If you can't face that I don't know what to tell you. Its not if you or I think either one is qualified. Put that aside. This is who McCain thinks is qualified. That is not good judgment.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
alaskan, mccain, palin, picks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0