Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Discussion > Education & Curriculum
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Education & Curriculum Discuss Angry Father Confronts Stunned Elizabeth Warren over Student Loan Plan - 'Am I Going at the General Discussion; Originally Posted by GottaGo There is a difference between SS and higher education. One, you contribute to a fund to ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 01-27-2020, 04:45 AM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 83,281
Thanks: 56,004
Thanked 26,466 Times in 18,961 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Angry Father Confronts Stunned Elizabeth Warren over Student Loan Plan - 'Am I Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
There is a difference between SS and higher education. One, you contribute to a fund to receive benefits later.

The other, you are paying for someone to get an additional education, of their choice, at the expense of the taxpayers, so they can get a better job, make more money and achieve a higher social status.

And you see nothing wrong with that?
as long as it's a real college or vocational school I am very much in favor of student loans. I do however expect my government to protect my tax money from shysters that are a school in name only..
__________________
For too long in this society, we have celebrated unrestrained individualism over common community. For too long as a nation, we have been lulled by the anthem of self-interest. For a decade, led by Ronald Reagan, self-aggrandizement has been the full-throated cry of this society: 'I've got mine, so why don't you get yours' and 'What's in it for me?'
Joe Biden c1987
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 01-27-2020, 06:22 AM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Posts: 13,253
Thanks: 11,454
Thanked 9,552 Times in 5,886 Posts
Default Re: Angry Father Confronts Stunned Elizabeth Warren over Student Loan Plan - 'Am I Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
as long as it's a real college or vocational school I am very much in favor of student loans. I do however expect my government to protect my tax money from shysters that are a school in name only..
So you support the idea that the student be responsible for their own education, via student loans, but you want the government (read: taxpayers) to protect students who make bad choices?
__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
If you don't laugh at yourself, a whole bunch of people will volunteer to do it for you
I never lose. I either win, or I learn....
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 01-27-2020, 06:26 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,349
Thanks: 8,985
Thanked 6,457 Times in 3,697 Posts
Default Re: Angry Father Confronts Stunned Elizabeth Warren over Student Loan Plan - 'Am I Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
these shLt hole pretend colleges accept Pell Grants and loans from Uncle Same aka=me
What in the world is the thought (giving you benefit of the doubt with that description) that you are trying to convey with this gibberish?
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 01-27-2020, 06:31 AM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Posts: 13,253
Thanks: 11,454
Thanked 9,552 Times in 5,886 Posts
Default Re: Angry Father Confronts Stunned Elizabeth Warren over Student Loan Plan - 'Am I Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
What in the world is the thought (giving you benefit of the doubt with that description) that you are trying to convey with this gibberish?
OK, if you turn your head sideways, squint your eyes and take a swig of something alcoholic, I think she means that she doesn't want for-profit colleges receiving grant money backed by taxpayers.

I could be wrong, however, since I didn't take a swig of alcohol....
__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
If you don't laugh at yourself, a whole bunch of people will volunteer to do it for you
I never lose. I either win, or I learn....
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GottaGo For This Useful Post:
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 01-27-2020, 06:46 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,349
Thanks: 8,985
Thanked 6,457 Times in 3,697 Posts
Default Re: Angry Father Confronts Stunned Elizabeth Warren over Student Loan Plan - 'Am I Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
OK, if you turn your head sideways, squint your eyes and take a swig of something alcoholic, I think she means that she doesn't want for-profit colleges receiving grant money backed by taxpayers.

I could be wrong, however, since I didn't take a swig of alcohol....
Thanks for that analysis. I am impressed that you took the time to attempt to decipher that nonsense.

If that is indeed her point I would say what is the difference? Personally, I would rather support "for profit" educational institutions as they would be more inclined to cater to their customers (students) than public institutions that cater to no one but politicians and are supported by out tax dollars.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GetAClue For This Useful Post:
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 01-27-2020, 10:16 AM
Conservative Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 18,624
Thanks: 12,056
Thanked 12,954 Times in 7,584 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to AZRWinger
Default Re: Angry Father Confronts Stunned Elizabeth Warren over Student Loan Plan - 'Am I Go

The student loan program began as a way to address the shortfall of engineering and technology students compared to the Soviets. Once the government starts giving money away expansion is inevitable. Colleges and universities responded to the gold rush by inflating costs, rising at a faster rate than medical expenses, and churning out tens of thousands of graduates in fields with a vast oversupply of graduates.

It's the same old story, politicians buy votes with tax money then shove the payments on to the public debt. Obamacare included a little reported provision to nationalize student loans ultimately transferring responsibility to the taxpayer including those who didn't use the program.

At minimum the student loan program should be restricted to disciples with high demand for employees and involving technology or business. Want a degree in Elizabethan poetry? Gasp, pay for it yourself. Structural engineering? Most likely you will be able to repay your loan from your earnings.

Lenders evaluate the ability of a business or individual to repay a loan particularly unsecured loans. With student loans it's no worry about repayment.
__________________
What is a 30 something year old single man with a rock in one hand and a Honduran flag in the other?

An asylum seeker.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AZRWinger For This Useful Post:
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 01-27-2020, 02:07 PM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,349
Thanks: 8,985
Thanked 6,457 Times in 3,697 Posts
Default Re: Angry Father Confronts Stunned Elizabeth Warren over Student Loan Plan - 'Am I Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRWinger View Post
The student loan program began as a way to address the shortfall of engineering and technology students compared to the Soviets. Once the government starts giving money away expansion is inevitable. Colleges and universities responded to the gold rush by inflating costs, rising at a faster rate than medical expenses, and churning out tens of thousands of graduates in fields with a vast oversupply of graduates.

It's the same old story, politicians buy votes with tax money then shove the payments on to the public debt. Obamacare included a little reported provision to nationalize student loans ultimately transferring responsibility to the taxpayer including those who didn't use the program.

At minimum the student loan program should be restricted to disciples with high demand for employees and involving technology or business. Want a degree in Elizabethan poetry? Gasp, pay for it yourself. Structural engineering? Most likely you will be able to repay your loan from your earnings.

Lenders evaluate the ability of a business or individual to repay a loan particularly unsecured loans. With student loans it's no worry about repayment.
You hit the nail squarely on the head with this post.

Three thumbs up for you!
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GetAClue For This Useful Post:
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 01-27-2020, 04:16 PM
Dog Man's Avatar
Down Boy!
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southern Nevada
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,329
Thanks: 6,888
Thanked 6,775 Times in 4,594 Posts
Default Re: Angry Father Confronts Stunned Elizabeth Warren over Student Loan Plan - 'Am I Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRWinger View Post
Warren completely dismissed the valid concern of fairness in her student loan vote buying scheme. Here is an excerpt from her later response.



Student loan debt is a product of past decisions, it's not a future consideration. It's the Federal government robbing A to pay B. Of course B likes it. But in Warren's world it doesn't matter that A scrimped and sacrificed so their children wouldn't have to go deeply into debt to get a degree, they ought to pay for B's college education too with no objection either.

Warren complains the objection to penalizing people who did the right thing by paying for their kids college education if applied to Social Security would have stopped it from being implemented. SS is a prospective benefit, everyone pays in for a future benefit regardless of any other retirement income you might have. SS like Obamacare had an initial period where taxes were collected but no benefits paid out to launch the program. Warren's student loan debt forgiveness by executive order just repeats the student loan debacle, wade into debt for something rather than save for it.
I think there should be a list of ALL the people that think this is a good idea. From that list, they should mail out a bill for those people to pay their share of the tuition of future college attendees, so as to give THEM free college too.

I have a feeling there would be very little support for that.
__________________
Appeasement, is feeding the crocodiles, hoping they will eat you last.
Winston Churchill
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 01-28-2020, 09:19 AM
Conservative Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 18,624
Thanks: 12,056
Thanked 12,954 Times in 7,584 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to AZRWinger
Default Re: Angry Father Confronts Stunned Elizabeth Warren over Student Loan Plan - 'Am I Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Man View Post
I think there should be a list of ALL the people that think this is a good idea. From that list, they should mail out a bill for those people to pay their share of the tuition of future college attendees, so as to give THEM free college too.

I have a feeling there would be very little support for that.
Paying for these grandiose schemes is where Warren gets into trouble. Wiping away college debt means there is no funding from repayments. Taxpayers have to step in to provide funds for the flood of new applicants. After the precedent of student loans being a subsidy you don't have to pay back is set, why would anyone pay for college out of pocket? Worse, colleges would have no incentive to control costs. Colleges and universities already compete trying to outstrip each other with plush amenities for students with the public Treasury to loot there is no check on extravagance.
__________________
What is a 30 something year old single man with a rock in one hand and a Honduran flag in the other?

An asylum seeker.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZRWinger For This Useful Post:
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 01-28-2020, 10:43 AM
Dog Man's Avatar
Down Boy!
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southern Nevada
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,329
Thanks: 6,888
Thanked 6,775 Times in 4,594 Posts
Default Re: Angry Father Confronts Stunned Elizabeth Warren over Student Loan Plan - 'Am I Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRWinger View Post
Paying for these grandiose schemes is where Warren gets into trouble. Wiping away college debt means there is no funding from repayments. Taxpayers have to step in to provide funds for the flood of new applicants. After the precedent of student loans being a subsidy you don't have to pay back is set, why would anyone pay for college out of pocket? Worse, colleges would have no incentive to control costs. Colleges and universities already compete trying to outstrip each other with plush amenities for students with the public Treasury to loot there is no check on extravagance.
That's true, if they wipe out the current student debt, that sets the precedence for free college from that point forward, pensions and pay will rise for administrators and professors.

Sky's the limit when tax payers are footing the bill.
__________________
Appeasement, is feeding the crocodiles, hoping they will eat you last.
Winston Churchill
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dog Man For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
angry, confronts, elizabeth, father, going, loan, over, plan, student, stunned, warren

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0