Political Wrinkles

Political Wrinkles (http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/)
-   Education & Curriculum (http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/education-curriculum/)
-   -   The words that Esmee met in her reading life for the first time (http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/education-curriculum/57446-words-esmee-met-her-reading-life-first-time.html)

Esmee 04-25-2019 08:14 PM

The words that Esmee met in her reading life for the first time
 
2019/4/26

1) pulverize |ˈpʌlvəraɪz| v.
to crush sth. into a fine power.

2) alkaline |ˈælkəlaɪn| adj. (alkaline salts/ alkaline soils)
having the nature of alkali

3) cocoa & cacao

Esmee 04-26-2019 01:53 AM

Re: The words that Esmee met in her reading life for the first time
 
4) gilt |gɪlt| n. adj.
a thin layer of golden, or sth. gold that is used on a surface for decoration

5) supplant |səˈplɑ:nt| v.
to take the place of sb./sth.

6) citrus |ˈsɪtrəs| oil
fruit belonging to the group of fruit that includes oranges, lemons, limes and grapefruits.

7) placate |pləˈkeɪt| v.
to make sb. feel less angry about sth.

8) sober |ˈsəʊbə| v.
to make sb. behave or think in a more serious or sensible way

9) temperance |ˈtempərəns| n.
the practice of controlling your behaviour, the amount you eat, etc, so that it is reasonable.

10) spree |spri:| n. (a shopping spree)
a short period of time that you spend doing one particular activity you enjoy, but often too much of it.

11) the wrath of

12) apostle |əˈpɒsl| n. (apostle of sth.)
a person who believes strongly in an idea and tries to make other people believe it.

13) after lengthy |ˈleŋθi| litigation

14) exempt sb. from sth.
to give someone an official permission not to do sth. or pay sth. that normally he would have to do or pay.

15) sublimate |ˈsʌblɪmeɪt| v.
to direct your energy, esp. sexual energy, to a socially acceptable activities such as work, art.

16) conscientious |ˌkɒnʃiˈenʃəs| a.
taking care to do sth. carefully and correctly

17) Portuguese |ˌpɔ:tʃuˈgi:z| n.

18) molasses |məˈlæsɪz| n. (treacle)
molasses is a thick, dark brown syrup which is produced when sugar is processed.

Esmee 04-26-2019 07:19 AM

Re: The words that Esmee met in her reading life for the first time
 
19) exert |ɪgˈzɜ:t| v.
to use power to affect sb.
if you exert yourself, you make a great physical or mental effort, to do sth.

20) the exertion of ...

21) descend / transcend

22) pervasive |pəˈveɪsɪv| a.
existing in all parts of a place

23) erotic & aphrodisiac exotic

24) crib
a long open box that horses can eat from

25) ecstatic a.
if you're ecstatic, you feel very happy and full of excitement.

26) psychic / physical

27) come to terms with
to accept sth. unpleasant by learning to deal with it

28) a configuration of
a configuration is an arrangement of a group of things

29) elude |iˈlu:d| v.
to manage to avoid or escape from sb., esp. in a clever way
If something that you want elude you, you fail to obtain it.

30) crass way
crass behavior is stupid and does not show consideration for other people

31) infidelity |ˌɪnfɪˈdeləti| occurs when a person is married or in a steady relationship has sex with other people

32) come to such a pass
to reach a sad state

33) illusory |ɪˈlu:səri| a.
If you describe sth. as illusory, you mean that although it seems true, it is in fact false or impossible.

34) supervene |ˌsu:pəˈvi:n| v.
to happen, esp. unexpectedly, and have a powerful effect on the existing situation

35) extravagance n.
the act of spending more money than you can afford

36) frail & fragile

jimbo 04-26-2019 07:51 AM

Re: The words that Esmee met in her reading life for the first time
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esmee (Post 968131)
19) exert |ɪgˈzɜ:t| v.
to use power to affect sb.
if you exert yourself, you make a great physical or mental effort, to do sth.

20) the exertion of ...

21) descend / transcend

22) pervasive |pəˈveɪsɪv| a.
existing in all parts of a place

23) erotic & aphrodisiac exotic

24) crib
a long open box that horses can eat from

25) ecstatic a.
if you're ecstatic, you feel very happy and full of excitement.

26) psychic / physical

27) come to terms with
to accept sth. unpleasant by learning to deal with it

28) a configuration of
a configuration is an arrangement of a group of things

29) elude |iˈlu:d| v.
to manage to avoid or escape from sb., esp. in a clever way
If something that you want elude you, you fail to obtain it.

30) crass way
crass behavior is stupid and does not show consideration for other people

31) infidelity |ˌɪnfɪˈdeləti| occurs when a person is married or in a steady relationship has sex with other people

32) come to such a pass
to reach a sad state

33) illusory |ɪˈlu:səri| a.
If you describe sth. as illusory, you mean that although it seems true, it is in fact false or impossible.

34) supervene |ˌsu:pəˈvi:n| v.
to happen, esp. unexpectedly, and have a powerful effect on the existing situation

35) extravagance n.
the act of spending more money than you can afford

36) frail & fragile

You've been busy.

Esmee 04-27-2019 12:26 AM

Re: The words that Esmee met in her reading life for the first time
 
2019/4/27

1) dividend |ˈdɪvɪdend| n.
an amount of the profits that a company pays to people who own the shares of the company

2) glycerine |ˈglɪsəri:n| n. is a thick, sweet, colourless liquid that is used in making esp. medicines, explosives, and antifreeze for car 甘油

3) inhabited the Atlantic littoral adj./n. |ˈlɪtərəl|
the part of a country that is near the coast
(littoral states)

4) heyday |ˈheɪdeɪ| n.
the time when sb./sth. had the most power or success

5) despoil |dɪˈspɔɪl| v. (despoil sth. from sth.)
to steal sth. valuable from a place

6) phenomenal |fəˈnɒmɪnl| a.
very great or impressive

7) liquorice / licorice |ˈlɪkərɪʃ| n.
a firm black substance with a strong flavour, obtained from the root of a plant, used in medicine, or making sweets 甘草

8) assume many guises |gaɪz| n.
often appear in a way that is different from usual or that hides the truth about them

9) disseminate |dɪˈsemɪneɪt| v.
to disseminate information or knowledge is to distribute them so that they would reach more people

saltwn 04-27-2019 04:24 AM

Re: The words that Esmee met in her reading life for the first time
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esmee (Post 968192)
2019/4/27

1) dividend |ˈdɪvɪdend| n.
an amount of the profits that a company pays to people who own the shares of the company

2) glycerine |ˈglɪsəri:n| n. is a thick, sweet, colourless liquid that is used in making esp. medicines, explosives, and antifreeze for car 甘油

3) inhabited the Atlantic littoral adj./n. |ˈlɪtərəl|
the part of a country that is near the coast
(littoral states)

4) heyday |ˈheɪdeɪ| n.
the time when sb./sth. had the most power or success

5) despoil |dɪˈspɔɪl| v. (despoil sth. from sth.)
to steal sth. valuable from a place

6) phenomenal |fəˈnɒmɪnl| a.
very great or impressive

7) liquorice / licorice |ˈlɪkərɪʃ| n.
a firm black substance with a strong flavour, obtained from the root of a plant, used in medicine, or making sweets 甘草

8) assume many guises |gaɪz| n.
often appear in a way that is different from usual or that hides the truth about them

9) disseminate |dɪˈsemɪneɪt| v.
to disseminate information or knowledge is to distribute them so that they would reach more people

I see you still have the Bran avatar. Are you still following Game of Thrones?

Amazing studies btw. I love finding new words. :)

Esmee 04-27-2019 04:54 AM

Re: The words that Esmee met in her reading life for the first time
 
10) punch press operator

11) scrounge |skraʊndʒ| v. scrounge sth off/from sb.
to get sth. from sb. by asking them for it rather than by paying them for it

12) schizophrenia |ˌskɪtsəˈfri:niə|

13) discrete |dɪˈskri:t| (separate) adj.
independent of other things of same type

14) transpire |trænˈspaɪə(r)| v.+that 无进行时
When it transpired that sth. is the case, then people discover that it is the case

15) prerequisite for sth.
sth. that must exist before sth else can happen

16) tenet |ˈtenɪt| n.
one of principles that a theory based on

17) shrub(s)

18) viable-->viability
that will be successful / that can survive independently
(a viable opinion)

19) pathological |ˌpæθəˈlɒdʒɪkl| pathology
(pathological fear)

20) stifle |ˈstaɪfl| v. (suppress) (suffocate)

21) detrimental |ˌdetrɪˈmentl| to sb. (damaging) (harmful)

22) to the exclusion of 排斥

Esmee 04-27-2019 05:03 AM

Re: The words that Esmee met in her reading life for the first time
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by saltwn (Post 968197)
I see you still have the Bran avatar. Are you still following Game of Thrones?

A little possibility exists here, I'd follow it. And privately I thought what I look like resembles this avatar. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by saltwn (Post 968197)
Amazing studies btw. I love finding new words. :)

Actually I don't want to take along a notebook always and everywhere, nor do want other one to look at me as if I'm a monster when I take a notebook out to read. But when I take out my smart phone and pretend that I'm browsing websites or entertainment apps, all things that annoy me would not happen. The new words being preserved here means I can review them wherever I am and whenever I'd like, as long as my smart phone can work.

saltwn 04-27-2019 07:08 PM

Re: The words that Esmee met in her reading life for the first time
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esmee (Post 968199)
A little possibility exists here, I'd follow it. And privately I thought what I look like resembles this avatar. :D

Actually I don't want to take along a notebook always and everywhere, nor do want other one to look at me as if I'm a monster when I take a notebook out to read. But when I take out my smart phone and pretend that I'm browsing websites or entertainment apps, all things that annoy me would not happen. The new words being preserved here means I can review them wherever I am and whenever I'd like, as long as my smart phone can work.

So you are essentially an undercover "nerd"
Sweet :D

Esmee 05-01-2019 04:24 AM

Re: The words that Esmee met in her reading life for the first time
 
2019/5/1

1) to recall the obvious relish n. great pleasure
v. to get great pleasure from sth. (to relish a fight)

2) variegated |ˈveəriəgeɪtɪd| a. (variegated leaves)
having spots or marks of a different colour

3) minuscule a. extremely small

4) through the mediating (mediate in sth) of hippy moverment

5) disenchanted with sth.
no longer feeling enthusiasm for sb./sth.

6) conducive to /ju:/
make it easy for sth. to happen

7) be in the ascendant / descendant


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0