Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Discussion > Education & Curriculum
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Education & Curriculum Discuss High school says pro-life club is too ‘controversial’ – but here’s what they allow at the General Discussion; Pro-life clubs = Bad Pro-gay clubs = Good High schools are in a tight race with colleges to see which ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-03-2017, 11:12 AM
Hairy Jello's Avatar
Deplorable
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,253
Thanks: 1,686
Thanked 9,838 Times in 6,091 Posts
Default High school says pro-life club is too ‘controversial’ – but here’s what they allow

Pro-life clubs = Bad

Pro-gay clubs = Good

High schools are in a tight race with colleges to see which are the most agenda-driven, partisan, liberal indoctrination camps.

I would say this is the dumbest thing I'll see all day but I just started reading the news headlines and will prolly find a dozen more ridiculous.

High school says pro-life club is too ‘controversial’ – but here’s what they allow – TheBlaze

Quote:
A high school in Allentown, Pennsylvania, is under fire for banning a pro-life club as being too controversial and political, but allowing pro-gay clubs. High School senior Liz Castro talked to Tucker Carlson Friday on Fox News about what school officials told her about her attempt to organize for the pro-life cause.

“They told me that we couldn’t have our club because it was too controversial and too political at the time,” Liz Castro explained.
__________________

Not an accurate representation of a white person.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hairy Jello For This Useful Post:
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-03-2017, 11:23 AM
foundit66's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 24,036
Thanks: 9,510
Thanked 14,508 Times in 8,756 Posts
Default Re: High school says pro-life club is too ‘controversial’ – but here’s what they allo

Pro-gay is not the equivalent of pro-life.
Two separate issues.

What some call "pro-gay" high school clubs are typically about anti-bullying for gay kids. Gay / Straight alliances.


Pro-life <=> Pro-choice would be the equivalent.
If they allow pro-choice and not pro-life, THEN you've got some obvious concerns.

From the article:
So do you suppose, Liz, if there was a club,” Carlson asked, “I dunno, a feminist club or women’s rights club, women’s empowerment club that supported legal abortion would they be allowed to organize on campus?”
So basically there are no "pro-choice" groups and these people IMAGINE they could be allowed such a group...



Remember the good ol' days when Repubs argued for the Three R's...
Reading
Writing
'Rithmetic

Until it's convenient to throw that out the window and try to turn the schools into a political distraction...
__________________
“Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
~Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-03-2017, 12:02 PM
Joe Shoe's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,848
Thanks: 710
Thanked 1,369 Times in 935 Posts
Default Re: High school says pro-life club is too ‘controversial’ – but here’s what they allo

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
Pro-gay is not the equivalent of pro-life.
Two separate issues.

What some call "pro-gay" high school clubs are typically about anti-bullying for gay kids. Gay / Straight alliances.


Pro-life <=> Pro-choice would be the equivalent.
If they allow pro-choice and not pro-life, THEN you've got some obvious concerns.

From the article:
So do you suppose, Liz, if there was a club,” Carlson asked, “I dunno, a feminist club or women’s rights club, women’s empowerment club that supported legal abortion would they be allowed to organize on campus?”
So basically there are no "pro-choice" groups and these people IMAGINE they could be allowed such a group...



Remember the good ol' days when Repubs argued for the Three R's...
Reading
Writing
'Rithmetic

Until it's convenient to throw that out the window and try to turn the schools into a political distraction...
Ok, now that you got you 'R-R-R-Republican' moment out of the way and your quibbling moment out of the way, are you going to actually comment on anything that has anything to do with the issue, or are you just trying to derail another thread?

Are you in favor of these students being able to have a pro-life club? Do you at least admit there's a double standard there since the school claims "controversial" as their basis, when there is at least one other club there ALSO pertaining to controversial issues?
__________________
What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand???
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-03-2017, 12:21 PM
foundit66's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 24,036
Thanks: 9,510
Thanked 14,508 Times in 8,756 Posts
Post Re: High school says pro-life club is too ‘controversial’ – but here’s what they allo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
Ok, now that you got you 'R-R-R-Republican' moment out of the way and your quibbling moment out of the way, are you going to actually comment on anything that has anything to do with the issue, or are you just trying to derail another thread?

I did comment on the issue.

THE ARTICLE (and the OP) raised comparisons on pro-gay <-> pro-life.
It's a b.s. comparison. Gay-Straight alliances are typically not really "political" while "pro-life" is resoundingly so.

And Repubs are being hypocritical in insisting on a POLITICAL club when they also whine about schools doing too much / not focusing enough on the three R's

You trying to make this about me would be "derailing".


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
Are you in favor of these students being able to have a pro-life club?
I think the school officials should have the final say as they have a better understanding of the climate, etc.
I personally would think as long as there are explicit guidelines drawn up to ensure things don't get out of hand, I would be okay with it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
Do you at least admit there's a double standard there since the school claims "controversial" as their basis, when there is at least one other club there ALSO pertaining to controversial issues?
No.
Already addressed this.
And it's pathetic (but not unexpected) that you would simultaneously:
a) Claim I wasn't addressing the issue,
b) Ask that I comment on this issue, AND
c) Ignore the fact that I've already addressed this issue.

The complaint was "too controversial and political"
And as I pointed out, gay-straight alliances are typically not "political". It's about an anti-bullying campaign.
__________________
“Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
~Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by foundit66; 06-03-2017 at 12:29 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-03-2017, 12:34 PM
foundit66's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 24,036
Thanks: 9,510
Thanked 14,508 Times in 8,756 Posts
Default Re: High school says pro-life club is too ‘controversial’ – but here’s what they allo

There is a huge difference between a gay-straight alliance (anti-bullying) and pro-life.

Gays are repeatedly ostracized and bullied in high school to the extent that it hurts their capability to learn. The actual function of high school.
The bullying that too often goes on, if conducted anywhere else, would easily be responded to with legal action. And gay-straight alliances have helped address this.

Pro-life clubs (and the same with pro-choice) are not about the function of high school.
They don't help alleviate bullying.
Depending upon the circumstances, it could be recognized that they create more problems than they resolve.


The right wants to pretend that schools aren't focused enough on the essentials and that's why they're failing. That's in the context of stuff they don't like or trying to justify attacking the school.
But then, they're wanting to insert their own pet projects into the schools at the same time...
__________________
“Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
~Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-03-2017, 12:51 PM
Joe Shoe's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,848
Thanks: 710
Thanked 1,369 Times in 935 Posts
Default Re: High school says pro-life club is too ‘controversial’ – but here’s what they allo

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
There is a huge difference between a gay-straight alliance (anti-bullying) and pro-life.

Gays are repeatedly ostracized and bullied in high school to the extent that it hurts their capability to learn. The actual function of high school.
The bullying that too often goes on, if conducted anywhere else, would easily be responded to with legal action. And gay-straight alliances have helped address this.
The problem with that argument is that there are many examples of bullying in high schools over many different issues, and the fact there are gay/straight alliances to address that yet NOT such organizations for OTHER examples of bullying throws water on your claim that it's just to help prevent bullying or to help facilitate learning.
When you start having clubs in school to cover bullying over obesity, having to wear glasses, having a physical handicap, etc., then you'll have a real case that gay/straight alliances aren't political and are just to help facilitate learning. Until then, there's no reason to think they aren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
The right wants to pretend that schools aren't focused enough on the essentials and that's why they're failing.
Where has this claim been made?
__________________
What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand???
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Shoe For This Useful Post:
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-03-2017, 12:55 PM
foundit66's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 24,036
Thanks: 9,510
Thanked 14,508 Times in 8,756 Posts
Default Re: High school says pro-life club is too ‘controversial’ – but here’s what they allo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
The problem with that argument is that there are many examples of bullying in high schools over many different issues, and the fact there are gay/straight alliances to address that yet NOT such organizations for OTHER examples of bullying throws water on your claim that it's just to help prevent bullying or to help facilitate learning.
HOW does that "throw water" on anything?
What you respond with provides absolutely no conflict to anything.

By this logic, if I point to "Christian" groups in schools but I don't find Muslim or Jewish groups, does that prove the Christian group thing isn't really about religion?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
When you start having clubs in school to cover bullying over obesity, having to wear glasses, having a physical handicap, etc., then you'll have a real case that gay/straight alliances aren't political and are just to help facilitate learning. Until then, there's no reason to think they aren't.
ROFLMAO!
So, you want to pretend that we need to consider these groups as "political" just because OTHER groups (e.g. glasses, obesity, etc) aren't put into existence?

That has got to be the DUMBEST argument you have thrown out there.
(okay. ONE OF the dumbest...)

HERE is the definition of political.
political: relating to the government or the public affairs of a country.
MEETING THAT DEFINITION is what would make the group "political".


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
Where has this claim been made?
I am laughing because one of the last things I read from you was this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
I'm not wasting my time searching for stupid requests no one else but you finds necessary.
Your hypocrisy really knows no bounds, does it.
__________________
“Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
~Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by foundit66; 06-03-2017 at 01:15 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-03-2017, 01:18 PM
Joe Shoe's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,848
Thanks: 710
Thanked 1,369 Times in 935 Posts
Default Re: High school says pro-life club is too ‘controversial’ – but here’s what they allo

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
HOW does that "throw water" on anything?
What you respond with provides absolutely no conflict to anything.

By this logic, if I point to "Christian" groups in schools but I don't find Muslim or Jewish groups, does that prove the Christian group thing isn't really about religion?
Well, yes. A Christian group WOULDN'T be about religion in any GENERAL sense, but about something with only the Christian religion. Did you think that example was actually going to help your case here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
So, you want to pretend that we need to consider these groups as "political" just because OTHER groups (e.g. glasses, obesity, etc) aren't put into existence?
The problem is that you claim it's about a.) just bullying, and b.) to help with learning. (Which is laughable, frankly!)
But when the only thing you've put in place is a single pet-issue example when bullying is such a far more broader issue, it DOES throw water on your claim.

It would be like someone saying they want to do something about violence in schools (which encompass fist fights, gang fights, and maybe sometimes even a school shooting) and so they START AN NRA CHAPTER IN THE SCHOOL.

Or someone saying they want to address the issue of needing more tolerance toward religion in school, but to do so they start a FOCUS ON THE FAMILY chapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
I am laughing because one of the last things I read from you was this...Your hypocrisy really knows no bounds, does it.
Foundit, regularly and to many posters here, you ask for the most GENERAL and MENIAL things to be quoted, regularly. And frankly, many of us know a lot of the reason for that is that you know people don't have time to spend using the search function for hours mining threads to accommodate your stupid request for quotes. Then you get asked to provide the same courtesy YOU ASK OF EVERYBODY ELSE TOO MUCH, and predictably you refuse and instead make some hypocrisy insult.
Start practicing what you preach if you want others to take your requests seriously.
__________________
What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand???
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-03-2017, 01:26 PM
foundit66's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 24,036
Thanks: 9,510
Thanked 14,508 Times in 8,756 Posts
Default Re: High school says pro-life club is too ‘controversial’ – but here’s what they allo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
Well, yes. A Christian group WOULDN'T be about religion in any GENERAL sense, but about something with only the Christian religion. Did you think that example was actually going to help your case here?
Do you really think you're proving anything right now with that inane non-sequitur?

So, the Christian group wouldn't be about ____ religion, but it WOULD be about ___ religion.
I never said anything about it being about ____ religion.
I'm saying that your specious argument would say it was not about RELIGION PERIOD.

And the fact that you threw in the second part saying it would be about ____ religion proves my point.


(sigh. And at this point you have completely forgotten why you even replied with that in the first place, other than wanting to argue against whatever thing you saw...)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
The problem is that you claim it's about a.) just bullying, and b.) to help with learning. (Which is laughable, frankly!)
But when the only thing you've put in place is a single pet-issue example when bullying is such a far more broader issue, it DOES throw water on your claim.
You're repeating yourself while avoiding what I actually said.

So, you want to pretend that we need to consider these groups as "political" just because OTHER groups (e.g. glasses, obesity, etc) aren't put into existence?

That has got to be the DUMBEST argument you have thrown out there.
(okay. ONE OF the dumbest...)

HERE is the definition of political.
political: relating to the government or the public affairs of a country.
MEETING THAT DEFINITION is what would make the group "political".


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
It would be like someone saying they want to do something about violence in schools ...
WHO SAID THAT.
Obviously it's focused on anti-gay bullying. Nobody claimed otherwise.

As I've pointed out in the past, the reason being that anti-gay bullying is a larger problem. Ergo, to whine that we don't focus on smaller problems and instead focus on why it is a BIGGER problem is reasonable.

You disagree.
But that doesn't make it illogical.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
Foundit, regularly and to many posters here, you ask for the most GENERAL and MENIAL things to be quoted, regularly.
No.
I really don't.
As I have pointed out, specific perpetrators repeatedly misrepresent.
You are one prime example. Mr. Wonder is another.

Recognizing the fact that I respond to habitual perpetrators in no way repudiates the fact that you are habitual perpetrators.

And I whole-heartedly expect you to hypocritically cower from challenges to your honesty. Nothing I can do will change that behavior from you.
__________________
“Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
~Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by foundit66; 06-03-2017 at 01:42 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06-03-2017, 01:42 PM
Joe Shoe's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,848
Thanks: 710
Thanked 1,369 Times in 935 Posts
Default Re: High school says pro-life club is too ‘controversial’ – but here’s what they allo

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
HERE is the definition of political.
political: relating to the government or the public affairs of a country.
MEETING THAT DEFINITION is what would make the group "political".
I note for the viewers that Foundit has now intentionally switched from arguing about "controversial" to ONLY fixating on the word "political". Because it's easier to defend, you see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
Obviously it's focused on anti-gay bullying.
And just as Foundit hypcritically accused someone else of doing, HE THEN MOVES THE GOALPOSTS.
HERE is what you said:
.... that it hurts their capability to learn. The actual function of high school. The bullying that too often goes on, if conducted anywhere else, would easily be responded to with legal action. And gay-straight alliances have helped address this.
See, you used the hindering of learning as a basis. But learning is hindered by ALL KINDS OF BULLYING. If that was the real basis, these efforts wouldn't be limited to just ONE SINGLE kind of bullying out of many.

The REAL POINT is (if you can stay out of the weeds long enough to see it) is that your basis that it's just to help learning in school is bullcrap, and therefore it's not a valid argument to have one and not the other when it comes to comparing gay/straight alliances with a pro-life group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
No.
I really don't.
As I have pointed out, specific perpetrators repeatedly misrepresent.
You are one prime example. Mr. Wonder is another.
LOL, as if you've shown your dishonest tactics toward only 2 posters here ... :LOL
But you keep telling yourself "no, I really don't." It's ok.

Again ....
Then you get asked to provide the same courtesy YOU ASK OF EVERYBODY ELSE TOO MUCH, and predictably you refuse and instead make some hypocrisy insult.
Start practicing what you preach if you want others to take your requests seriously.
__________________
What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand???
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
allow, but, club, here’s, high, prolife, says, school, they, too, what, ‘controversial’

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0