Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Discussion > Education & Curriculum
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Education & Curriculum Discuss University’s student government wants free tuition ‘reparations’ for black students at the General Discussion; Originally Posted by FrancSevin Sounds nice but, is that really fair to all the other kids? If this was just ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 04-27-2017, 05:38 PM
Dog Man's Avatar
Down Boy!
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southern Nevada
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,467
Thanks: 2,245
Thanked 3,412 Times in 2,463 Posts
Default Re: University’s student government wants free tuition ‘reparations’ for black studen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancSevin View Post
Sounds nice but, is that really fair to all the other kids? If this was just a black white issue, it would seem fair but still, even then it would not be.

What about half breeds or Latino's and other groups that make up our diverse society?

American slavery is over. It has been so for 150 years. The black community has been held back much of that time by racism. Not just white supremacy but racism. It still holds them back because they too cannot eliminate "race' from their perspective any more than White's or Latino's. A program that gives a "freebie" based on race will not improve those relations because it still defines us as different. Separate but equal is based on a recognition of being different.

That didn't work for 100 years. Why promote anything that would continue the practice?
I think impoverished blacks that meet a certain criteria should have more help.
I think it would be a good thing for Trump to do.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 04-27-2017, 09:25 PM
FrancSevin's Avatar
Runs with scissors
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: St Louis MO
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,105
Thanks: 6,327
Thanked 8,986 Times in 5,152 Posts
Default Re: University’s student government wants free tuition ‘reparations’ for black studen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Man View Post
I think impoverished blacks that meet a certain criteria should have more help.
I think it would be a good thing for Trump to do.
Again I ask, why impoverished Blacks. Why not everyone who is "impoverished?"

What criteria? You have already made one stipulation, they are negroes. I say that distinction is a wrong measurement because it retains, solidifies and codifies in our culture, the concept of racism.


The thread thesis is for reparations over slavery. As though only blacks were enslaved in America. The issue with negroes is that they were easy to single out and were ostracized from the freedom and equality whites enjoyed because of skin color. This even after slavery was abolished by law.

But so were Puerto Ricans, and Italians. Irish and Jews. Latinos and native Americans. Do we owe all of their children college as a "reparation" for social norms of the 16th, 17th, 18th and 19th centuries?
__________________
I am going to hang a Batman Costume in my closet. .......... Just to screw with myself when I get alzheimer's.
sola gratia, sola fide, sola scriptura.

I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN, I AM A FREEMAN, THE DEMOCRATS WORST NIGHTMARE

Last edited by FrancSevin; 04-27-2017 at 09:30 PM..
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrancSevin For This Useful Post:
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 04-28-2017, 12:44 AM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 72,875
Thanks: 52,727
Thanked 25,155 Times in 17,836 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: University’s student government wants free tuition ‘reparations’ for black studen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancSevin View Post
I can tell. But you would notice if it was YOUR money.

Query, If "all people are special," they why do we need an affirmative action for "any" of them? Aside from that, this is about "REPARATIONS" You are the one who brought up Affirmative action. again it is a totally different issue.

I cannot figure out from your postings as to whether you are running in circles or confused. What I can figure out is that you just like to argue.
I guess you missed my post a few years (months? ) ago about my adventures in buying furniture in Houston.
__________________
Hillary Clinton is like prune juice; might leave a bad taste in your mouth but if you don't take it you'll have to put up with a load of crap for a long time.
~ Larry David as Bernie Sanders
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 04-28-2017, 12:51 AM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 72,875
Thanks: 52,727
Thanked 25,155 Times in 17,836 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: University’s student government wants free tuition ‘reparations’ for black studen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
Usually real estate taxes pay for schools 1-12, or some areas have a special tax allocated specifically for schools.

I would support 'free' local 2 year college as an extension of the usually 12 years one spends in school, if it included vocational training.

By then, the students would have matured a bit more, and may actually have a clue about what a 'profitable degree' actually was.

College or university after that, is up to the individual.

That being said, nothing is 'free'. If you want government sponsored college or university, may I suggest moving to the EU?
You mention "real estate taxes" as if realtors paid for it. People who own homes pay for school.
I don't have to move to Europe whose citizens got the idea of free college from us.

Of course a "c+" average should be required. I would like to see a "B" personally but too many students just don't test well and too many real C's progress to B's and A's when motivated. Vocational training is an excellent requirement for all state colleges however I disagree a person needs to choose that if he's inclined in other directions.
Another requirement I would have that addresses your final concern is courses in home economics (no not how to make salmon croquettes but real economics like living off an income and balancing a checking account), and introduction to college life.
__________________
Hillary Clinton is like prune juice; might leave a bad taste in your mouth but if you don't take it you'll have to put up with a load of crap for a long time.
~ Larry David as Bernie Sanders
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 04-28-2017, 07:15 AM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Posts: 10,706
Thanks: 8,330
Thanked 6,869 Times in 4,435 Posts
Default Re: University’s student government wants free tuition ‘reparations’ for black studen

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
You mention "real estate taxes" as if realtors paid for it. People who own homes pay for school.
I don't have to move to Europe whose citizens got the idea of free college from us.

Of course a "c+" average should be required. I would like to see a "B" personally but too many students just don't test well and too many real C's progress to B's and A's when motivated. Vocational training is an excellent requirement for all state colleges however I disagree a person needs to choose that if he's inclined in other directions.
Another requirement I would have that addresses your final concern is courses in home economics (no not how to make salmon croquettes but real economics like living off an income and balancing a checking account), and introduction to college life.
Real Estate Taxes: Based on an arbitrarily assessed amount, paid to one's local government, for real estate title in their name.

Didn't say Voc was required, but it should be an option. It seems they have taken that out of the High Schools, after all we wouldn't want our up and coming generations to think they might want to dirty their hands rather than sit behind a desk all day, hmmmm?

The schools in this area offer a course called 'living on my own' which teaches kids about to go out in the real world how to balance a checkbook, budget, and make better decisions regarding life choices. Not mandatory, but participation is surprisingly high, and classes are taught by volunteers from within the financial world.
__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
If you can't laugh at yourself, you might as well get embalmed
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 04-28-2017, 09:05 AM
FrancSevin's Avatar
Runs with scissors
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: St Louis MO
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,105
Thanks: 6,327
Thanked 8,986 Times in 5,152 Posts
Default Re: University’s student government wants free tuition ‘reparations’ for black studen

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
I guess you missed my post a few years (months? ) ago about my adventures in buying furniture in Houston.
A pretty good guess!

Sorry Salty. I'm friggen' 70years old and cannot remember important things. Much less your musings from "years ago."

Pray tell, share your witty prose with all of us about Houston Furniture and how it applies to "reparations." I am both baffled and intrigued by the prospect.
__________________
I am going to hang a Batman Costume in my closet. .......... Just to screw with myself when I get alzheimer's.
sola gratia, sola fide, sola scriptura.

I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN, I AM A FREEMAN, THE DEMOCRATS WORST NIGHTMARE
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 04-28-2017, 10:57 AM
Dog Man's Avatar
Down Boy!
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southern Nevada
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,467
Thanks: 2,245
Thanked 3,412 Times in 2,463 Posts
Default Re: University’s student government wants free tuition ‘reparations’ for black studen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancSevin View Post
Again I ask, why impoverished Blacks. Why not everyone who is "impoverished?"

What criteria? You have already made one stipulation, they are negroes. I say that distinction is a wrong measurement because it retains, solidifies and codifies in our culture, the concept of racism.


The thread thesis is for reparations over slavery. As though only blacks were enslaved in America. The issue with negroes is that they were easy to single out and were ostracized from the freedom and equality whites enjoyed because of skin color. This even after slavery was abolished by law.

But so were Puerto Ricans, and Italians. Irish and Jews. Latinos and native Americans. Do we owe all of their children college as a "reparation" for social norms of the 16th, 17th, 18th and 19th centuries?
I don't know, I just think they need more help. I hope that doesn't mean I'm racist. I want more successful black people, they usually become Republicans.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 04-28-2017, 11:27 AM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,065
Thanks: 7,604
Thanked 6,396 Times in 3,885 Posts
Default Re: University’s student government wants free tuition ‘reparations’ for black studen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Man View Post
I don't know, I just think they need more help. I hope that doesn't mean I'm racist. I want more successful black people, they usually become Republicans.
I don't. I think that is the core of the problem. Far too many blacks have heard that they need more help so often that they now believe it.

You've got two choices in what to believe.

Blacks are inherently dumber and lazier than whites and therefore need extra help. Or:

Blacks are equal to whites in most ways and therefore must be treated equally.

I subscribe to the latter.
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 04-28-2017, 11:29 AM
FrancSevin's Avatar
Runs with scissors
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: St Louis MO
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,105
Thanks: 6,327
Thanked 8,986 Times in 5,152 Posts
Default Re: University’s student government wants free tuition ‘reparations’ for black studen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Man View Post
I don't know, I just think they need more help. I hope that doesn't mean I'm racist. I want more successful black people, they usually become Republicans.
Free College isn't going to make them Republicans. Most likely the opposite.
My parents worked hard to pay for my K-12 PUBLIC education, and that of my 4 brothers. Most of us put ourselves through college. Every lesson learned, every subject taken, was dear.


Nothing in life is free. And yet, oddly enough nothing received without effort is appreciated nearly as much, or held as dear as, something earned. So my conclusion from that is a free education isn't appreciated. You end up with adult children living in your basement.

Our Founders did not create a utopian society. Furthest thing from their minds. No, they created a nation of freemen, with real opportunity for the individual. The two concepts are mutually exclusive. We need to stop believing the lie that such a combination is compatible and sustainable.

Or even desirable. Give YOUR money to black kids, brown kids, Irish kids, Latino kids,,,; if you wish. Don't demand of me to do so. That, in a free society, is MY choice.

I agree to your point. but "more Help" isn't necessarily more money. And that's what freebies like free college are, Other People's Money.
__________________
I am going to hang a Batman Costume in my closet. .......... Just to screw with myself when I get alzheimer's.
sola gratia, sola fide, sola scriptura.

I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN, I AM A FREEMAN, THE DEMOCRATS WORST NIGHTMARE
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrancSevin For This Useful Post:
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 04-28-2017, 12:47 PM
Dog Man's Avatar
Down Boy!
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southern Nevada
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,467
Thanks: 2,245
Thanked 3,412 Times in 2,463 Posts
Default Re: University’s student government wants free tuition ‘reparations’ for black studen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
I don't. I think that is the core of the problem. Far too many blacks have heard that they need more help so often that they now believe it.

You've got two choices in what to believe.

Blacks are inherently dumber and lazier than whites and therefore need extra help. Or:

Blacks are equal to whites in most ways and therefore must be treated equally.

I subscribe to the latter.
They are equal, but I believe it is harder to get ahead if you are black, some call it racism, I don't really think that is totally true. I think I would have had a harder time if I was black.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
black, for, free, government, student, students, tuition, university’s, wants, ‘reparations’

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0