Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Discussion > Education & Curriculum
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Education & Curriculum Discuss Gay Teacher Sues Over Firing From North Carolina High School at the General Discussion; Originally Posted by RedState And why do you believe he deserved to get fired? It's a Catholic school. People who ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2017, 01:55 AM
Manitou's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,162
Thanks: 173
Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,692 Posts
Default Re: Gay Teacher Sues Over Firing From North Carolina High School

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedState View Post
And why do you believe he deserved to get fired?
It's a Catholic school. People who are not married and teaching there need to keep their sexual preferences private. I suspect he would have been fired if he had announced to his students that he was a single hetero and getting a piece every night. I am shocked, shocked I tell you, that this story needs any type of explanation.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2017, 02:13 AM
dabateman's Avatar
Buckle-up Buttercup
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,121
Thanks: 2,113
Thanked 8,452 Times in 4,954 Posts
Default Re: Gay Teacher Sues Over Firing From North Carolina High School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitou View Post
I won't post pornographic bestiality type pictures. I should think a baboon's butt, or any other animal's butt, would entice some questionable people, no?
No. Because my mind doesn't go straight to the gutter like your President-Elect's.

__________________
Continue that line of reasoning, Muffin... I'm judging you. Harshly.



You get the respect you give. And if you're a Republican, you b*tch about paybacks being a b*tch. So sorry you're mad your guy is getting the respect you gave ours, Snowflakes.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2017, 02:33 AM
cnredd's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Gender: Male
Posts: 51,425
Thanks: 1,893
Thanked 31,026 Times in 18,216 Posts
Default Re: Gay Teacher Sues Over Firing From North Carolina High School

Quote:
Not long after that, local diocese spokesman David Hains publicly stated that Billard was let go for "going on Facebook, entering into a same-sex relationship, and saying it in a very public way that he does not agree with the teachings of the Catholic Church," according to the lawsuit.
I'd have to see the Facebook post...

Big difference between "I disagree" and "The diocese can go f**k itself!"...
__________________
"You get the respect that you give" - cnredd
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2017, 02:40 AM
dabateman's Avatar
Buckle-up Buttercup
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,121
Thanks: 2,113
Thanked 8,452 Times in 4,954 Posts
Default Re: Gay Teacher Sues Over Firing From North Carolina High School

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnredd View Post
I'd have to see the Facebook post...

Big difference between "I disagree" and "The diocese can go f**k itself!"...
To clarify...

Are you suggesting that the content of his facebook post alters your opinion of the diocese's action, or that the content of his Facebook post alters his divergence with diocese and should be weighed?

Just trying to get where you're coming from/going with this response.
__________________
Continue that line of reasoning, Muffin... I'm judging you. Harshly.



You get the respect you give. And if you're a Republican, you b*tch about paybacks being a b*tch. So sorry you're mad your guy is getting the respect you gave ours, Snowflakes.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2017, 08:07 AM
Manitou's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,162
Thanks: 173
Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,692 Posts
Default Re: Gay Teacher Sues Over Firing From North Carolina High School

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabateman View Post
No. Because my mind doesn't go straight to the gutter like your President-Elect's.
Translation by Manitou--

"WAAAH! I'm bitching because Trump won and Hillary is gone!

And adding anything else to my crappy post won't make me happy."
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2017, 08:55 AM
zoriolus's Avatar
Banjo qd
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Carolina
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,766
Thanks: 2,738
Thanked 2,008 Times in 1,390 Posts
Default Re: Gay Teacher Sues Over Firing From North Carolina High School

I'm familiar with Charlotte. It's an eclectic town with a prominent gay community but traditional Church and family life is still very strong. There are many private Christian schools and other private schools in that area. Charlotte Country Day, Charlotte Latin, and the Charlotte Islamic Academy are among the large mix.
The diocese didn't respond to the lawsuit which I think was filed yesterday, yet the news articles have boldly appeared. The Observer reports that Mr. Billard wants back pay and benefits, punitive damage, emotional distress damage, and court intervention to stop Catholic leaders from doing this again. He may also want his job back although he had retired in 2012 before he was fired.
Billard is claiming that his life preferences and non-Catholic views aren't relevant since that wasn't an initial condition of employment. The Diocese will now have to defend itself in Federal Court against the ACLU.




Gay teacher in Charlotte sues Catholic groups for firing him after he posted same-sex wedding plans on Facebook | The Charlotte Observer
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2017, 09:02 AM
dabateman's Avatar
Buckle-up Buttercup
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,121
Thanks: 2,113
Thanked 8,452 Times in 4,954 Posts
Default Re: Gay Teacher Sues Over Firing From North Carolina High School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitou View Post
Translation by Manitou--

"WAAAH! I'm bitching because Trump won and Hillary is gone!

And adding anything else to my crappy post won't make me happy."
__________________
Continue that line of reasoning, Muffin... I'm judging you. Harshly.



You get the respect you give. And if you're a Republican, you b*tch about paybacks being a b*tch. So sorry you're mad your guy is getting the respect you gave ours, Snowflakes.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2017, 09:07 AM
Hairy Jello's Avatar
Deplorable
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,654
Thanks: 1,705
Thanked 10,049 Times in 6,227 Posts
Default Re: Gay Teacher Sues Over Firing From North Carolina High School

Once you get past the sensational headline and actually read the article, you see there's much more to the story.

First, to say this dude was fired for being gay is retarded and false. The school knew for a while he was gay and still let him teach. They only fired him when he went public.

Here he is with his own words:

Quote:
"I know that the Catholic Church opposes same-sex marriage, but I don't think my commitment to my husband has any bearing on my work in the classroom," Billard said in a statement. "I have never hidden the fact that I'm gay and my relationship with my partner was no secret at school."
So no, he wasn't fired for being gay.

Also, it's not exactly a clear-cut fact if employment by religious groups is covered for those of sexual preference.

Quote:
The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, which determined Billard has the right to sue, says on its website that religious organizations can give employment preference to members of the faith but can't otherwise discriminate against protected classes of people.

The commission's position is that the definition of "sex" contained in Title VII protects lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people from workplace discrimination. It says a number of federal court decisions support the view that sexual orientation is covered under prohibitions against sex discrimination.

However, a law professor who has studied the rulings involving LGBT rights and Title VII said that it is not a settled matter of law.

"Several cases in the last few years offer more support for the point that Title VII protects against employment discrimination based on sexual orientation, but in my view don't definitively resolve the issue,"
Maxine Eichner of the University of North Carolina said in an email.
So no, this teacher wasn't fired because he was gay, and the law on whether or not the church was within its rights is a little hazy and not settled law.

Pretty much all there is to this thread. Not quite as dramatic as it first seems.
__________________

Not an accurate representation of a white person.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2017, 09:15 AM
dabateman's Avatar
Buckle-up Buttercup
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,121
Thanks: 2,113
Thanked 8,452 Times in 4,954 Posts
Default Re: Gay Teacher Sues Over Firing From North Carolina High School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Jello View Post
Once you get past the sensational headline and actually read the article, you see there's much more to the story.

First, to say this dude was fired for being gay is retarded and false. The school knew for a while he was gay and still let him teach. They only fired him when he went public.

Here he is with his own words:



So no, he wasn't fired for being gay.

Also, it's not exactly a clear-cut fact if employment by religious groups is covered for those of sexual preference.



So no, this teacher wasn't fired because he was gay, and the law on whether or not the church was within its rights is a little hazy and not settled law.

Pretty much all there is to this thread. Not quite as dramatic as it first seems.


A man getting fired for getting married to a man is getting fired for being gay. You try to so hard to be obtuse. It would be endearing if it weren't dumb AF.
__________________
Continue that line of reasoning, Muffin... I'm judging you. Harshly.



You get the respect you give. And if you're a Republican, you b*tch about paybacks being a b*tch. So sorry you're mad your guy is getting the respect you gave ours, Snowflakes.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2017, 09:33 AM
Manitou's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,162
Thanks: 173
Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,692 Posts
Default Re: Gay Teacher Sues Over Firing From North Carolina High School

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabateman View Post


A man getting fired for getting married to a man is getting fired for being gay. You try to so hard to be obtuse. It would be endearing if it weren't dumb AF.
He was fired for anouncing publicly that he is homo.

Gay my ass.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
carolina, firing, from, gay, high, north, over, school, sues, teacher

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0