Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Discussion > Education & Curriculum
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Education & Curriculum Discuss Highland Park ISD suspends seven books after parents protest their content at the General Discussion; Ahh my old High School not much has changed in this little very exclusive very conservative enclave: Highland Park High ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-24-2014, 10:51 AM
winston53660's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,229
Thanks: 1,853
Thanked 4,274 Times in 3,197 Posts
Default Highland Park ISD suspends seven books after parents protest their content

Ahh my old High School not much has changed in this little very exclusive very conservative enclave:

Highland Park High School students were told to put down their books last week.
The Art of Racing in the Rain — the book they were reading in a 10th-grade English class — was suspended from the school district’s approved book list. The novel about a race car driver grieving the loss of his wife includes a sex scene that made some parents uncomfortable.
It was among seven books suspended last week after parents challenged their content because of sex scenes and references to rape, abuse and abortion. In emails and at meetings, parents said high school students should not be exposed to some of the hardships and controversies of adulthood.

Highland Park ISD suspends seven books after parents protest their content | Dallas Morning News

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-24-2014, 11:06 AM
cnredd's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Gender: Male
Posts: 54,814
Thanks: 2,195
Thanked 34,866 Times in 20,068 Posts
Default Re: Highland Park ISD suspends seven books after parents protest their content

Why use a "banning book scene" video for this?...

Quote:
Tavia Hunt, a parent who raised objections, said she doesn’t want her sophomore daughter or any students to feel uncomfortable in English class because of graphic sex scenes. She said the books should be allowed in the library, but not required in English class.

“This is not about banning books. No one is advocating that,” Hunt said. “We want the kids to have access to the books in the library.
The problem is having obscene literature mandatory in the classroom and for discussion.”
__________________
"You get the respect that you give" - cnredd
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cnredd For This Useful Post:
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-24-2014, 11:12 AM
winston53660's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,229
Thanks: 1,853
Thanked 4,274 Times in 3,197 Posts
Default Re: Highland Park ISD suspends seven books after parents protest their content

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnredd View Post
Why use a "banning book scene" video for this?...
Because they are banning books from the class
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-24-2014, 11:22 AM
cnredd's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Gender: Male
Posts: 54,814
Thanks: 2,195
Thanked 34,866 Times in 20,068 Posts
Default Re: Highland Park ISD suspends seven books after parents protest their content

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
Because they are banning books from the class
They're not banning...They're just pointing out the ones that won't be discussed...

And frankly, having parent-approved books (and having the choice to switch books) is light years better than having school districts shovel agenda-driven material down the throats of students WITHOUT parental approval (and sometimes, even parental knowledge)...

As a side note, I found the following logic, in bold, horrible...

Quote:
“It isn’t easy,” she said. “You have the parents who don’t want their child reading X-Y-Z and you have the parents saying ‘That’s wonderful. I didn’t want to have that hard conversation.’ So teachers are put into difficult situations, and they have to make difficult decisions.”
Parents who say "I'd rather have my child have "hard conversations" with people paid by the government instead of doing the job of "parenting" myself."...
__________________
"You get the respect that you give" - cnredd
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-24-2014, 11:25 AM
winston53660's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,229
Thanks: 1,853
Thanked 4,274 Times in 3,197 Posts
Default Re: Highland Park ISD suspends seven books after parents protest their content

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnredd View Post
They're not banning...They're just pointing out the ones that won't be discussed...
IOW they are banned from the classroom.

Quote:
And frankly, having parent-approved books (and having the choice to switch books) is light years better than having school districts shovel agenda-driven material down the throats of students WITHOUT parental approval (and sometimes, even parental knowledge)...
And if the parents in question want creationism taught as fact? This actually happened to my mom once (she was a 5th grade teacher) in the same school system.

Anyhow's from what I hear from around the 'hood, I still live here, an awful lot of parents are very upset about this ban. Also the Dallas Morning News letters to the editor section was pretty lively this morning on the subject.

Last edited by winston53660; 09-24-2014 at 11:32 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-24-2014, 10:37 PM
Scholar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,739
Thanks: 7,239
Thanked 2,450 Times in 1,679 Posts
Default Re: Highland Park ISD suspends seven books after parents protest their content

They already have banned the Bible in the schools.
As for teaching creationism maybe let the parents who want to teach their children that they are created in God's image do so and let the parents who want to teach their children that their ancestors were apes do so (poor kids guess they can figure it out for themselves later).
We are here now with no way to go back so maybe the schools/GOVERNMENT should stay out of it.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-24-2014, 10:49 PM
winston53660's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,229
Thanks: 1,853
Thanked 4,274 Times in 3,197 Posts
Default Re: Highland Park ISD suspends seven books after parents protest their content

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
They already have banned the Bible in the schools.
.
You're Wrong:

Teaching Class
How should religion be taught in public school classrooms?
Throughout history, religion has shaped significant events and the development of literature and
the arts. Religion also affects human behavior and decision making. Districts therefore cannot
provide students a well-rounded education in history, literature, social science, and other topics
without discussing the impact of religion. In fact, Texas Education Code section 28.002
specifically requires that the study of religious literature and its impact on history and literature
be included as part of the required curriculum. Districts are constrained, however, in the manner
by which these lessons may be taught by the prohibition on the sponsorship of religion by the
Establishment Clause.
To avoid a violation of the Establishment Clause, teachers must teach about religion without
endorsing or coercing or even promoting religion over non-religion. Teachers must teach religious
topics in a fair and objective manner. For example, a teacher may teach about how an artist’s
Christian beliefs impacted the artist’s choice of subject matter but may not teach that the Biblical
stories portrayed in the artwork are historical fact. Similarly, a teacher may not teach America’s
history with the perspective of the country as a Christian nation because that perspective favors
Christianity over other religions in violation of the Establishment Clause. These same principles
apply to a teacher crafting lessons for the Bible class permitted by Texas law.
Will teaching about religion violate the free exercise rights of a student who holds contrary
religious views?
Merely exposing students to ideas they or their parents find objectionable does not place an
unconstitutional burden on students’ free exercise of religion when students are not being
compelled to affirm or deny a religious belief, nor to perform or not perform a religious exercise.
Does Texas law require that the Bible be taught in schools as a separate course?
Texas Education Code section 28.011 provides that school districts may offer an elective course
on the content, history, literary style, and influence of the Old and New Testaments. The
decision to offer a Bible course is a local decision; districts are not required to offer the course.

If a district does choose to offer such a course, the course instructors must complete required
staff development on how to teach the course, including how to teach the course in compliance
with federal law.
Can teachers be required to teach lessons that are contrary to the teachers’ religion

https://www.tasb.org/Services/Legal-...txempguide.pdf
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winston53660 For This Useful Post:
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09-24-2014, 10:53 PM
Scholar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,739
Thanks: 7,239
Thanked 2,450 Times in 1,679 Posts
Default Re: Highland Park ISD suspends seven books after parents protest their content

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
You're Wrong:

Teaching Class
How should religion be taught in public school classrooms?
Throughout history, religion has shaped significant events and the development of literature and
the arts. Religion also affects human behavior and decision making. Districts therefore cannot
provide students a well-rounded education in history, literature, social science, and other topics
without discussing the impact of religion. In fact, Texas Education Code section 28.002
specifically requires that the study of religious literature and its impact on history and literature
be included as part of the required curriculum. Districts are constrained, however, in the manner
by which these lessons may be taught by the prohibition on the sponsorship of religion by the
Establishment Clause.
To avoid a violation of the Establishment Clause, teachers must teach about religion without
endorsing or coercing or even promoting religion over non-religion. Teachers must teach religious
topics in a fair and objective manner. For example, a teacher may teach about how an artist’s
Christian beliefs impacted the artist’s choice of subject matter but may not teach that the Biblical
stories portrayed in the artwork are historical fact. Similarly, a teacher may not teach America’s
history with the perspective of the country as a Christian nation because that perspective favors
Christianity over other religions in violation of the Establishment Clause. These same principles
apply to a teacher crafting lessons for the Bible class permitted by Texas law.
Will teaching about religion violate the free exercise rights of a student who holds contrary
religious views?
Merely exposing students to ideas they or their parents find objectionable does not place an
unconstitutional burden on students’ free exercise of religion when students are not being
compelled to affirm or deny a religious belief, nor to perform or not perform a religious exercise.
Does Texas law require that the Bible be taught in schools as a separate course?
Texas Education Code section 28.011 provides that school districts may offer an elective course
on the content, history, literary style, and influence of the Old and New Testaments. The
decision to offer a Bible course is a local decision; districts are not required to offer the course.

If a district does choose to offer such a course, the course instructors must complete required
staff development on how to teach the course, including how to teach the course in compliance
with federal law.
Can teachers be required to teach lessons that are contrary to the teachers’ religion

https://www.tasb.org/Services/Legal-...txempguide.pdf
I stand corrected then thanks for your research.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Topcat For This Useful Post:
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09-25-2014, 12:55 AM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 81,008
Thanks: 55,344
Thanked 26,230 Times in 18,767 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Highland Park ISD suspends seven books after parents protest their content

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
Ahh my old High School not much has changed in this little very exclusive very conservative enclave:

Highland Park High School students were told to put down their books last week.
The Art of Racing in the Rain — the book they were reading in a 10th-grade English class — was suspended from the school district’s approved book list. The novel about a race car driver grieving the loss of his wife includes a sex scene that made some parents uncomfortable.
It was among seven books suspended last week after parents challenged their content because of sex scenes and references to rape, abuse and abortion. In emails and at meetings, parents said high school students should not be exposed to some of the hardships and controversies of adulthood.

Highland Park ISD suspends seven books after parents protest their content | Dallas Morning News

Field of Dreams Book banning Scene - YouTube
I agree. They already see enough on tv and games. Let's not reinforce the adult themes at school. Let them be kids. They will have hardship and more soon enough.
__________________
Trump’s only true skill is the con; his only fundamental belief is that the United States is the birthright of straight, white, Christian men, and his only real, authentic pleasure is in cruelty. It is that cruelty, and the delight it brings them, that binds his most ardent supporters to him, in shared scorn for those they hate and fear: immigrants, black voters, feminists, and treasonous white men who empathize with any of those who would steal their birthright.~Serwer|The Atlantic
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 09-25-2014, 09:05 PM
winston53660's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,229
Thanks: 1,853
Thanked 4,274 Times in 3,197 Posts
Default Re: Highland Park ISD suspends seven books after parents protest their content

A new group of Highland Park ISD parents is fighting to get seven suspended books back into the English classroom.
Two Highland Park High School moms, Laurie Dodic Steinberg and Natalie Davis, organized a meeting Sunday night with about 40 parents and students. The group is launching an email campaign to protest the books’ suspension and show support for high school English teachers.
Superintendent Dawson Orr suspended the books from high school instruction last week after parents contacted district officials and circulated emails with excerpts of sex scenes and references to mature themes, such as rape, abuse and abortion. The books cannot be taught, pending a review by a committee of teachers, parents and students. The books are still available in the school’s library.

<snip>

Three of the suspended books are scheduled for use in this year’s high school English classes. Some 10th-grade classes were already reading The Art of Racing in the Rain, but teachers were asked to end the lesson and rearrange their units until the book is reviewed.
Steinberg said Highland Park ISD officials are violating the district’s own policy, which says “access to challenged material shall not be restricted during the reconsideration process.”

“They have pulled The Art of Racing in the Rain right out of the hands of the sophomore English students,” she said. “They can say it’s in the library all they want, but the fact is they’ve pulled these books in the middle of the six weeks and are now asking the teachers to scramble for a whole new lesson plan. It’s just incredibly sad.”

Highland Park ISD parents start group to fight books? suspension | Dallas Morning News
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
after, books, content, highland, isd, parents, park, protest, seven, suspends, their

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0