Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Discussion > Education & Curriculum
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Education & Curriculum Discuss Disgraced teacher is worth $10M, makes $100,000 a year, does nothing, & refuses to le at the General Discussion; Originally Posted by catusfelidae Companies Often Find Creative Ways to Get Rid of Employees - Yahoo! News Ever hear about ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61 (permalink)  
Old 02-01-2012, 05:37 PM
rivrrat's Avatar
Queen of Awesomeness
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,833
Thanks: 3,272
Thanked 10,473 Times in 6,022 Posts
Default Re: Disgraced teacher is worth $10M, makes $100,000 a year, does nothing, & refuses t

Quote:
Originally Posted by catusfelidae View Post
Companies Often Find Creative Ways to Get Rid of Employees - Yahoo! News



Ever hear about a company that boasts, "We've never laid off an employee!" Impressive, huh? Especially in this all consuming economy we've all been dealing with the last few years. AOL Jobs just posted a list of 10 companies THAT can brag that they've never laid anyone off.

But don't be fooled. Some companies (not necessarily those on the list, which, incidentally is mostly health care related), will find creative ways to circumvent layoffs. Can you really blame them? You can kiss quality applicants goodbye if you report high numbers of layoffs. And it looks bad to potential partners and customers.
But nonetheless, it does happen and here are the two major ways they do this.

Yeah, we can trust that companies have the employees best interests at heart and unions are the big bad wolves!

And Santa Clause is real too!
Never heard a company BOAST it, but the company I work for has never laid off an employee. And was voted one of the best companies in the state to work for. And was deemed one of the fastest growing companies in the country by Inc. 500.

So, you think the government is evil and it's employees need protected from it?
__________________


Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.

Gypsy Soul Memories
Scuba Diver Life
My YouTube Channel
Reply With Quote
  #62 (permalink)  
Old 02-01-2012, 05:40 PM
catusfelidae's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,065
Thanks: 3,633
Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,243 Posts
Default Re: Disgraced teacher is worth $10M, makes $100,000 a year, does nothing, & refuses t

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
Halliburton is a private company.



Really? So, no intelligent response to the rest of that lengthy post, eh? All you can come up with is... 'grow up'?
Frankly, it's all your post was worth.

Look at your response.."Halliburton is a private company"!

Did you sleep during the Bush administration?
__________________
Never annoy a cat. We like our meals hot and bleeding.
Reply With Quote
  #63 (permalink)  
Old 02-01-2012, 05:41 PM
rivrrat's Avatar
Queen of Awesomeness
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,833
Thanks: 3,272
Thanked 10,473 Times in 6,022 Posts
Default Re: Disgraced teacher is worth $10M, makes $100,000 a year, does nothing, & refuses t

Quote:
Originally Posted by catusfelidae View Post
Frankly, it's all your post was worth.

Figured as much. You can't refute any of it, so why bother even acknowledging it.

Quote:
Look at your response.."Halliburton is a private company"!
A fact. Yes.

Quote:
Did you sleep during the Bush administration?
What does Bush have to do with Halliburton being a private company?
__________________


Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.

Gypsy Soul Memories
Scuba Diver Life
My YouTube Channel
Reply With Quote
  #64 (permalink)  
Old 02-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Bodo's Avatar
I am the 53%
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Smokies
Posts: 2,716
Thanks: 715
Thanked 1,179 Times in 771 Posts
Default Re: Disgraced teacher is worth $10M, makes $100,000 a year, does nothing, & refuses t

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
What does Bush have to do with Halliburton being a private company?
Not a durn thing, but it allows her to control the narrative so she can talk about what SHE wants to talk about instead of what you asked her.

It's a poor and lazy rhetorical trick.
__________________
"The ultimate decision about what is accepted as right and wrong will be made not by individual human wisdom but by the disappearance of the groups that have adhered to the "wrong" beliefs."
-- F.A. Hayek
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bodo For This Useful Post:
  #65 (permalink)  
Old 02-01-2012, 06:09 PM
catusfelidae's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,065
Thanks: 3,633
Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,243 Posts
Default Re: Disgraced teacher is worth $10M, makes $100,000 a year, does nothing, & refuses t

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
Never heard a company BOAST it, but the company I work for has never laid off an employee. And was voted one of the best companies in the state to work for. And was deemed one of the fastest growing companies in the country by Inc. 500.


Congratulations. You work for a good company. If you extrapolate that to mean......"*I* work for a good company, therefore, all companies are good companies", I question your sanity.

So, you think the government is evil and it's employees need protected from it?
No, I don't believe the 'Government' is evil. Not in it's basic sense. I do believe however, that unscrupulous business can and do take advantage of the government. I do believe that unscrupulous politicians like to favor their cronies regarding government contracts. And, BTW, you don't have to be a business or a politician to take advantage of the government feed trough.



Years ago I 'fell into' a job teaching living skills to mentally disabled adults. My job, and those like me, was to teach these people how to get by if the point came that their families could not care for them and they had to go live in a group home environment. Our job was to teach them basic home care, cooking, cleaning etc. and how to get by in society. Shopping, understand the value of a dollar, making sure they got the right change, etc.

Sounds good huh? Sounds necessary huh? Sounds like a good idea.

It was a good idea. Unfortunately, that's where the 'good' ended.

It very quickly became obvious that our 'real' job was to act as a 'personal assistant, maid, cook and housekeeper' to the disabled persons family and babysit the disabled person.

I did the job for three years. Please note I said 'the job'. Extra responsibilities dribbled in like raindrops on a rock. When I finally got my fill, and I refused to drive to a town about 80 miles away and mow the lawn of a friend of my disabled persons mother, I was 'let go'.*

Being a bit of an 'activist', and being able to afford it, I had a chat with the director of the agency.

She was 'very sorry about it, but there was nothing she could do'.

I talked to a dozen or so other 'life skills teachers' and while they were all dealing with the same thing, and hated it, none of them could afford to lose the income, and so were unwilling to 'rock the boat'.

If we had had a union behind us, my disabled adult would not have been one of the few actually learning some independent living skills and their parents would have been cooking their own meals, cleaning their own houses, and not getting 30 to 39 hours a week of free babysitting in the bargain.

Why should this matter to you? Simple. Our salaries, filtered through 'the company' came directly from Medicaid.

Your tax dollars at work.

Tell me, how much free cooking, cleaning and babysitting service does the government give YOU?




* I actually got a laugh out of this. A new neighbor, early 20's had moved in next door to 'the mom' and, as innocent as I was in the beginning but not nearly as responsible or reliable, 'mom', since I had let her know that there was not going to be any more 'extras', offered her the job.

I wrestled with my conscience about warning her, but I was fed up and so stood silently while she gladly took it.

The first day, FIRST DAY, the company tried to drop off the disabled person....new girl wasn't there. She was busy shopping and 'lost track of time'. She had the job for less than three months before 'mom' begged me to take it back. Luckily, I only took the job in the first place for something to do. I said NO.
__________________
Never annoy a cat. We like our meals hot and bleeding.
Reply With Quote
  #66 (permalink)  
Old 02-01-2012, 07:23 PM
rivrrat's Avatar
Queen of Awesomeness
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,833
Thanks: 3,272
Thanked 10,473 Times in 6,022 Posts
Default Re: Disgraced teacher is worth $10M, makes $100,000 a year, does nothing, & refuses t

Quote:
Originally Posted by catusfelidae View Post
No, I don't believe the 'Government' is evil. Not in it's basic sense. I do believe however, that unscrupulous business can and do take advantage of the government. I do believe that unscrupulous politicians like to favor their cronies regarding government contracts. And, BTW, you don't have to be a business or a politician to take advantage of the government feed trough.



Years ago I 'fell into' a job teaching living skills to mentally disabled adults. My job, and those like me, was to teach these people how to get by if the point came that their families could not care for them and they had to go live in a group home environment. Our job was to teach them basic home care, cooking, cleaning etc. and how to get by in society. Shopping, understand the value of a dollar, making sure they got the right change, etc.

Sounds good huh? Sounds necessary huh? Sounds like a good idea.

It was a good idea. Unfortunately, that's where the 'good' ended.

It very quickly became obvious that our 'real' job was to act as a 'personal assistant, maid, cook and housekeeper' to the disabled persons family and babysit the disabled person.

I did the job for three years. Please note I said 'the job'. Extra responsibilities dribbled in like raindrops on a rock. When I finally got my fill, and I refused to drive to a town about 80 miles away and mow the lawn of a friend of my disabled persons mother, I was 'let go'.*

Being a bit of an 'activist', and being able to afford it, I had a chat with the director of the agency.

She was 'very sorry about it, but there was nothing she could do'.

I talked to a dozen or so other 'life skills teachers' and while they were all dealing with the same thing, and hated it, none of them could afford to lose the income, and so were unwilling to 'rock the boat'.

If we had had a union behind us, my disabled adult would not have been one of the few actually learning some independent living skills and their parents would have been cooking their own meals, cleaning their own houses, and not getting 30 to 39 hours a week of free babysitting in the bargain.

Why should this matter to you? Simple. Our salaries, filtered through 'the company' came directly from Medicaid.

Your tax dollars at work.

Tell me, how much free cooking, cleaning and babysitting service does the government give YOU?




* I actually got a laugh out of this. A new neighbor, early 20's had moved in next door to 'the mom' and, as innocent as I was in the beginning but not nearly as responsible or reliable, 'mom', since I had let her know that there was not going to be any more 'extras', offered her the job.

I wrestled with my conscience about warning her, but I was fed up and so stood silently while she gladly took it.

The first day, FIRST DAY, the company tried to drop off the disabled person....new girl wasn't there. She was busy shopping and 'lost track of time'. She had the job for less than three months before 'mom' begged me to take it back. Luckily, I only took the job in the first place for something to do. I said NO.
I fail to see how this rant bears any relevance to the topic.
__________________


Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.

Gypsy Soul Memories
Scuba Diver Life
My YouTube Channel
Reply With Quote
  #67 (permalink)  
Old 02-01-2012, 08:12 PM
RedState's Avatar
Somewhat Stable Genius
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,047
Thanks: 1,267
Thanked 1,750 Times in 1,329 Posts
Default Re: Disgraced teacher is worth $10M, makes $100,000 a year, does nothing, & refuses t

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
I have no problem with children working. In fact, IMO, what's wrong with today's youth is that they DONT work.


I don't think I've ever had a job where I only worked 8 hrs a day/ 40hrs/week, and got paid overtime. So that all depends on the job


I've worked a ****load of weekends too. In fact, in a former life, I NEVER had a weekend off. So, depends on the job.




Health insurance should NOT be tied to one's job. It's one of the biggest ****ing mistakes we've made regarding health stuff.




Yeah, which really sucks actually. Employer's should be free to hire and fire whomever they want for whatever reason they want. All that act did is take away rights from employers.




Which should be abolished.


As for the rest of it,(some of which is debatable as to its value too) was it PUBLIC unions that did that? I think not.
Do you really actually expect people to take you seriously with sort of stuff? I'm almost starting to think your actually a fake-libertarian troll just trying to make some of the more sensible libertarians look even worse.

Theres just no way you could be so far deluded to actually beileve those things.

Of course maybe I'm wrong and you are. Oh well. I don't have the energy anymore. So Carry on.
__________________
People have said not to just dismiss the right as stupid, as it's polarizing and you won't get through to them that way, etc. But it's hard to imagine that someone with even average intelligence could be so lacking in self-awareness as they are.
Reply With Quote
  #68 (permalink)  
Old 02-01-2012, 08:17 PM
rivrrat's Avatar
Queen of Awesomeness
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,833
Thanks: 3,272
Thanked 10,473 Times in 6,022 Posts
Default Re: Disgraced teacher is worth $10M, makes $100,000 a year, does nothing, & refuses t

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedState View Post
Do you really actually expect people to take you seriously with sort of stuff? I'm almost starting to think your actually a fake-libertarian troll just trying to make some of the more sensible libertarians look even worse.

Theres just no way you could be so far deluded to actually beileve those things.

Of course maybe I'm wrong and you are. Oh well. I don't have the energy anymore. So Carry on.
Unfortunately, there's far too many people brainwashed NOT to believe those facts.
__________________


Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.

Gypsy Soul Memories
Scuba Diver Life
My YouTube Channel
Reply With Quote
  #69 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2012, 09:10 AM
catusfelidae's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,065
Thanks: 3,633
Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,243 Posts
Default Re: Disgraced teacher is worth $10M, makes $100,000 a year, does nothing, & refuses t

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
I fail to see how this rant bears any relevance to the topic.
I'm not surprised. You seem to 'fail to see' a lot.
__________________
Never annoy a cat. We like our meals hot and bleeding.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
$100, $10m, 000, and, disgraced, does, makes, nothing, refuses, teacher, worth, year

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0