Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Discussion > Education & Curriculum
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Education & Curriculum Discuss Disgraced teacher is worth $10M, makes $100,000 a year, does nothing, & refuses to le at the General Discussion; Originally Posted by catusfelidae [COLOR="DarkGreen"] Yes, wouldn't society be wonderful if your employer could fire you for no reason. Yes. ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31 (permalink)  
Old 02-01-2012, 09:51 AM
rivrrat's Avatar
Queen of Awesomeness
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,833
Thanks: 3,272
Thanked 10,473 Times in 6,022 Posts
Default Re: Disgraced teacher is worth $10M, makes $100,000 a year, does nothing, & refuses t

Quote:
Originally Posted by catusfelidae View Post
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]



Yes, wouldn't society be wonderful if your employer could fire you for no reason.
Yes. As an employer, I should be allowed to hire whom I want and fire whom I wish. I should not be forced by law to keep paying someone I no longer want working for me. That's ****ing insane. And tyrannical.

Quote:
That's why Wal Mart, the worlds biggest employer, puts its employees before obscene profits. That's why they all get a decent wage, benefits and can live the American Dream.
The people who work at walmart choose to do so. If they don't like their wages or conditions or treatment, they can seek work elsewhere.
__________________


Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.

Gypsy Soul Memories
Scuba Diver Life
My YouTube Channel
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 02-01-2012, 10:07 AM
catusfelidae's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,065
Thanks: 3,633
Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,243 Posts
Default Re: Disgraced teacher is worth $10M, makes $100,000 a year, does nothing, & refuses t

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
Yes. As an employer, I should be allowed to hire whom I want and fire whom I wish. I should not be forced by law to keep paying someone I no longer want working for me. That's ****ing insane. And tyrannical.

So you honestly believe that a person who has worked at a company for, say, 15 years, and who depends upon his/her salary to support their family should be subjected to being fired for no good reason?


The people who work at walmart choose to do so. If they don't like their wages or conditions or treatment, they can seek work elsewhere.
Sure they can. Because there are just SOOOOOOOOO many good jobs going begging!

I notice you didn't have anything to say about the Triangle company. What's the matter? Can't find a way to shrug that off?

Can't find a way to say that if those people who died didn't like being locked in an unsafe building they should have just looked for work elsewhere?

Can't find a way to justify the company keeping the insurance money paid for those deaths instead of passing it along to the victims families?

__________________
Never annoy a cat. We like our meals hot and bleeding.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to catusfelidae For This Useful Post:
  #33 (permalink)  
Old 02-01-2012, 10:25 AM
rivrrat's Avatar
Queen of Awesomeness
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,833
Thanks: 3,272
Thanked 10,473 Times in 6,022 Posts
Default Re: Disgraced teacher is worth $10M, makes $100,000 a year, does nothing, & refuses t

Quote:
Originally Posted by catusfelidae View Post
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]So you honestly believe that a person who has worked at a company for, say, 15 years, and who depends upon his/her salary to support their family should be subjected to being fired for no good reason?
Of course.

Quote:
Sure they can. Because there are just SOOOOOOOOO many good jobs going begging!
Yes. They can.

Quote:
I notice you didn't have anything to say about the Triangle company.
I didn't say anything about it because I have no ****ing idea WTF you're talking about.
__________________


Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.

Gypsy Soul Memories
Scuba Diver Life
My YouTube Channel
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 02-01-2012, 10:47 AM
catusfelidae's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,065
Thanks: 3,633
Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,243 Posts
Default Re: Disgraced teacher is worth $10M, makes $100,000 a year, does nothing, & refuses t

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
Of course.


Yes. They can.


I didn't say anything about it because I have no ****ing idea WTF you're talking about.
That last part doesn't surprise me. No offense intended, but I have always found that most people who are anti union really don't know anything about unions, or what life was like for the workers 'before'.

Google 'Triangle Shirtwaist Factory' and read up on it.

Then Google 'Mary Harris Jones', otherwise known as Mother Jones.

Check out the US Department of Labor's 'child labor reform exhibits.

You can find a link to that easily by Googling Sarah Norcliffe Cleghorn's short poem......"The golf links lie so near the mill, That almost every day, The laboring children can look out, And watch the men at play"

You say 'children should work'? At least do them the service of learning about that which you are advocating!

Again, no offense intended, but you really should do some research regarding a topic before you form an opinion regarding said topic.
__________________
Never annoy a cat. We like our meals hot and bleeding.
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old 02-01-2012, 10:53 AM
rivrrat's Avatar
Queen of Awesomeness
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,833
Thanks: 3,272
Thanked 10,473 Times in 6,022 Posts
Default Re: Disgraced teacher is worth $10M, makes $100,000 a year, does nothing, & refuses t

Quote:
Originally Posted by catusfelidae View Post
That last part doesn't surprise me. No offense intended, but I have always found that most people who are anti union really don't know anything about unions, or what life was like for the workers 'before'.

Google 'Triangle Shirtwaist Factory' and read up on it.

Then Google 'Mary Harris Jones', otherwise known as Mother Jones.

Check out the US Department of Labor's 'child labor reform exhibits.

You can find a link to that easily by Googling Sarah Norcliffe Cleghorn's short poem......"The golf links lie so near the mill, That almost every day, The laboring children can look out, And watch the men at play"

You say 'children should work'? At least do them the service of learning about that which you are advocating!

Again, no offense intended, but you really should do some research regarding a topic before you form an opinion regarding said topic.
None of that has anything at all to do with what we're talking about. But nice diversion.

And yes, children should work. I don't need to "learn about that which I am advocating". I'm well aware of what work is. Have been since I was a child.
__________________


Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.

Gypsy Soul Memories
Scuba Diver Life
My YouTube Channel
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old 02-01-2012, 10:59 AM
catusfelidae's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,065
Thanks: 3,633
Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,243 Posts
Default Re: Disgraced teacher is worth $10M, makes $100,000 a year, does nothing, & refuses t

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
None of that has anything at all to do with what we're talking about. But nice diversion.

And yes, children should work. I don't need to "learn about that which I am advocating". I'm well aware of what work is. Have been since I was a child.
The lucky ones swept the trash and filth from city streets or stood for hours on street corners hawking newspapers. The less fortunate coughed constantly through 10-hour shifts in dark, damp coal mines or sweated to the point of dehydration while tending fiery glass-factory furnaces - all to stoke the profit margins of industrialists whose own children sat comfortably at school desks gleaning moral principles from their McGuffey Readers.

By and large, these child laborers were the sons and daughters of poor parents or recent immigrants who depended on their children's meager wages to survive. But they were also the offspring of the rapid, unchecked industrialization that characterized large American cities as early as the 1850s. In 1870, the first U.S. census Photo of Children to report child labor numbers counted 750,000 workers under the age of 15, not including children who worked for their families in businesses or on farms. By 1911, more than two million American children under the age of 16 were working - many of them 12 hours or more, six days a week. Often they toiled in unhealthful and hazardous conditions; always for minuscule wages.

Glass factory: "...boys traveled as distance of nearly 22 miles in an 8-hour shift at a constant slow run to and from ovens... average pay of 72 cents per 8-hour shift...."

Silk Mills: "...girl not 9 years old... cleaned bobbins for 3 cents an hour... must stand at their work... 12-hour shifts... by night... unceasingly... watching the threads... before... scores of revolving spindles... some of them making 25,000 revolutions per minute...."

"Employment of child labor", speed of Honorable Albert J. Beveridge, Wednesday, January 23, 1907.

Garment Factory: "...to reach their quota, girls had to put in an 84-hour week at a wage averaging 5 cents an hour..."

Soap-Packing Plants: "...girls were exposed to caustic soda that turned their nails yellow and ate away at their fingers..."

Flower-Making Workshops: "...arsenic, liberally applied to produce vivid colors, wrecked the appearance and health... with sores, swelling of the limbs, nausea... complete debility..."

Tobacco Stripping: "In their homes, ... women and children... endure the most sickening exhalations as they stripped the leaves... tobacco (dust) is everywhere... they sleep in it... (it) seasons their food and befouls the water they drink..."

Cannery: "...children as young as six employed as headers and cleaners (of shrimp and fish)... stand for shifts of 12 hours and longer in open sheds... hands immersed in cold water..."

Child Labor Reform Exhibit--Wirtz Labor Library

You support this? Really? What the hell's wrong with you?
__________________
Never annoy a cat. We like our meals hot and bleeding.
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old 02-01-2012, 11:01 AM
rivrrat's Avatar
Queen of Awesomeness
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,833
Thanks: 3,272
Thanked 10,473 Times in 6,022 Posts
Default Re: Disgraced teacher is worth $10M, makes $100,000 a year, does nothing, & refuses t

Quote:
Originally Posted by catusfelidae View Post
The lucky ones swept the trash and filth from city streets or stood for hours on street corners hawking newspapers. The less fortunate coughed constantly through 10-hour shifts in dark, damp coal mines or sweated to the point of dehydration while tending fiery glass-factory furnaces - all to stoke the profit margins of industrialists whose own children sat comfortably at school desks gleaning moral principles from their McGuffey Readers.

By and large, these child laborers were the sons and daughters of poor parents or recent immigrants who depended on their children's meager wages to survive. But they were also the offspring of the rapid, unchecked industrialization that characterized large American cities as early as the 1850s. In 1870, the first U.S. census Photo of Children to report child labor numbers counted 750,000 workers under the age of 15, not including children who worked for their families in businesses or on farms. By 1911, more than two million American children under the age of 16 were working - many of them 12 hours or more, six days a week. Often they toiled in unhealthful and hazardous conditions; always for minuscule wages.

Glass factory: "...boys traveled as distance of nearly 22 miles in an 8-hour shift at a constant slow run to and from ovens... average pay of 72 cents per 8-hour shift...."

Silk Mills: "...girl not 9 years old... cleaned bobbins for 3 cents an hour... must stand at their work... 12-hour shifts... by night... unceasingly... watching the threads... before... scores of revolving spindles... some of them making 25,000 revolutions per minute...."

"Employment of child labor", speed of Honorable Albert J. Beveridge, Wednesday, January 23, 1907.

Garment Factory: "...to reach their quota, girls had to put in an 84-hour week at a wage averaging 5 cents an hour..."

Soap-Packing Plants: "...girls were exposed to caustic soda that turned their nails yellow and ate away at their fingers..."

Flower-Making Workshops: "...arsenic, liberally applied to produce vivid colors, wrecked the appearance and health... with sores, swelling of the limbs, nausea... complete debility..."

Tobacco Stripping: "In their homes, ... women and children... endure the most sickening exhalations as they stripped the leaves... tobacco (dust) is everywhere... they sleep in it... (it) seasons their food and befouls the water they drink..."

Cannery: "...children as young as six employed as headers and cleaners (of shrimp and fish)... stand for shifts of 12 hours and longer in open sheds... hands immersed in cold water..."

Child Labor Reform Exhibit--Wirtz Labor Library

You support this? Really? What the hell's wrong with you?
Why do you keep talking about the past? I'm talking about today.
__________________


Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.

Gypsy Soul Memories
Scuba Diver Life
My YouTube Channel
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old 02-01-2012, 11:08 AM
catusfelidae's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,065
Thanks: 3,633
Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,243 Posts
Default Re: Disgraced teacher is worth $10M, makes $100,000 a year, does nothing, & refuses t

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
Why do you keep talking about the past? I'm talking about today.
Because if it were not for the unions you are so against, this would BE TODAY!

Ever hear the saying 'those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it'?
__________________
Never annoy a cat. We like our meals hot and bleeding.
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old 02-01-2012, 11:10 AM
rivrrat's Avatar
Queen of Awesomeness
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,833
Thanks: 3,272
Thanked 10,473 Times in 6,022 Posts
Default Re: Disgraced teacher is worth $10M, makes $100,000 a year, does nothing, & refuses t

Quote:
Originally Posted by catusfelidae View Post
Because if it were not for the unions you are so against, this would BE TODAY!

Ever hear the saying 'those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it'?
Really? PUBLIC unions did that? Which PUBLIC unions specifically?
__________________


Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.

Gypsy Soul Memories
Scuba Diver Life
My YouTube Channel
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old 02-01-2012, 11:17 AM
catusfelidae's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,065
Thanks: 3,633
Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,243 Posts
Default Re: Disgraced teacher is worth $10M, makes $100,000 a year, does nothing, & refuses t

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
Really? PUBLIC unions did that? Which PUBLIC unions specifically?
Sorry, but you're going to have to do your own research. Perhaps if you put a little effort into it, you'll actually learn something.
__________________
Never annoy a cat. We like our meals hot and bleeding.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
$100, $10m, 000, and, disgraced, does, makes, nothing, refuses, teacher, worth, year

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0