Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > Political Forums > Economics
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Economics Discuss Andrew Yang explains details of Universal Basic Income at the Political Forums; Originally Posted by Dave1 There is a local radio guy in Houston that has been on the air for 30 ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2020, 08:50 AM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Posts: 12,987
Thanks: 11,083
Thanked 9,223 Times in 5,719 Posts
Default Re: Andrew Yang explains details of Universal Basic Income

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1 View Post
There is a local radio guy in Houston that has been on the air for 30 years that started a school with training programs for real skills that can not be outsourced....

He is in the home building industry and he teaches all sorts of programs for plumbing, structural framing, electricians, roofers, brick layers, siding, decks, A/C units, fencing, concrete etc.....

Real good paying jobs that nobody wants to learn these days....

These guys are gold when they learn the skills necessary and can work in any city or state in the US.....

The problem is we are not training our youth for solid basic jobs anymore....
In the continuing push for all high school grads to go to university, the lack of many 'shop' type classes in schools, it seems kids are being shoved into 'high end only' type careers, even before they know what they actually want to pursue.

I still believe that adding another 2 years to 'high school' with more focused studies on math/science/engineering/trades before shoving kids in the expensive and sometimes not so educational world of for-profit universities, would be worth the local taxpayers investment.
__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
If you don't laugh at yourself, a whole bunch of people will volunteer to do it for you
I never lose. I either win, or I learn....
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 02-04-2020, 12:46 PM
Dog Man's Avatar
Down Boy!
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southern Nevada
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,496
Thanks: 5,784
Thanked 6,157 Times in 4,197 Posts
Default Re: Andrew Yang explains details of Universal Basic Income

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1 View Post
There is a local radio guy in Houston that has been on the air for 30 years that started a school with training programs for real skills that can not be outsourced....

He is in the home building industry and he teaches all sorts of programs for plumbing, structural framing, electricians, roofers, brick layers, siding, decks, A/C units, fencing, concrete etc.....

Real good paying jobs that nobody wants to learn these days....

These guys are gold when they learn the skills necessary and can work in any city or state in the US.....

The problem is we are not training our youth for solid basic jobs anymore....
He is definitely on the right track. It will be a long, long time before computers replace construction workers. It would take some very skillful robots just to walk around a construction site, let alone run electrical and plumbing, framing, roofing, even hanging doors.

Architects would be the first ones to get replaced IMO. As it is now, they do very little. I have been in commercial construction for 35 years, Architects used to do their jobs very well, but in the last 10-15 years they have done very little. Most job plans now consist of a floor plan and details and specifications copied and pasted from other projects.

They require contractors like myself, to put it all together and make it work.

Construction is not a black and white skill set. Every job has to be managed differently, and no two jobs are the same.

They build thousands of McDonalds, Walgreens, etc. They are all similar, but all require very different variables and methods for construction.

I have worked on most of the big casinos in Las Vegas as an estimator and project manager. They all required never ending changes and revisions, nothing was black and white.
__________________
The socialist / Leftist fringe, now controls the Democrat party. Unfortunately the moderate/Liberal left, doesn't realize it.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 02-04-2020, 02:49 PM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,246
Thanks: 7,542
Thanked 5,229 Times in 2,988 Posts
Default Re: Andrew Yang explains details of Universal Basic Income

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottago View Post
in the continuing push for all high school grads to go to university, the lack of many 'shop' type classes in schools, it seems kids are being shoved into 'high end only' type careers, even before they know what they actually want to pursue.

I still believe that adding another 2 years to 'high school' with more focused studies on math/science/engineering/trades before shoving kids in the expensive and sometimes not so educational world of for-profit universities, would be worth the local taxpayers investment.
LeftPushesCollege.jpg
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GetAClue For This Useful Post:
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 02-04-2020, 03:08 PM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,246
Thanks: 7,542
Thanked 5,229 Times in 2,988 Posts
Default Re: Andrew Yang explains details of Universal Basic Income

GiveEverybodyMoney.jpg
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GetAClue For This Useful Post:
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 02-05-2020, 12:26 AM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 81,824
Thanks: 55,597
Thanked 26,346 Times in 18,864 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Andrew Yang explains details of Universal Basic Income

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
In the continuing push for all high school grads to go to university, the lack of many 'shop' type classes in schools, it seems kids are being shoved into 'high end only' type careers, even before they know what they actually want to pursue.

I still believe that adding another 2 years to 'high school' with more focused studies on math/science/engineering/trades before shoving kids in the expensive and sometimes not so educational world of for-profit universities, would be worth the local taxpayers investment.
who specifically is pushing for that?
__________________
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."
- Albert Camus
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 02-05-2020, 08:36 AM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Posts: 12,987
Thanks: 11,083
Thanked 9,223 Times in 5,719 Posts
Default Re: Andrew Yang explains details of Universal Basic Income

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
who specifically is pushing for that?
Parents, secondary schools, colleges, employers....

More and more disdain for the trades in society as a whole.

If there isn't a push for kids going to college, then why are people demanding that it be 'free'? Why are parents/kids willing to go hundreds of thousands of dollars into debt?

You yourself have supported the idea of 'free college'. So in specifics, YOU are pushing for that.
__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
If you don't laugh at yourself, a whole bunch of people will volunteer to do it for you
I never lose. I either win, or I learn....
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 02-05-2020, 08:38 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,246
Thanks: 7,542
Thanked 5,229 Times in 2,988 Posts
Default Re: Andrew Yang explains details of Universal Basic Income

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
Parents, secondary schools, colleges, employers....

More and more disdain for the trades in society as a whole.

If there isn't a push for kids going to college, then why are people demanding that it be 'free'? Why are parents/kids willing to go hundreds of thousands of dollars into debt?

You yourself have supported the idea of 'free college'. So in specifics, YOU are pushing for that.
In Salty's defense, she pushes for anything that she doesn't have to pay for.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GetAClue For This Useful Post:
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2020, 09:33 AM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Posts: 12,987
Thanks: 11,083
Thanked 9,223 Times in 5,719 Posts
Default Re: Andrew Yang explains details of Universal Basic Income

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
In Salty's defense, she pushes for anything that she doesn't have to pay for.
Of course... she doesn't have an income anymore if I remember correctly, there for she is on the receiving end. Why would she care what others have to pay, so she can get hers?
__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
If you don't laugh at yourself, a whole bunch of people will volunteer to do it for you
I never lose. I either win, or I learn....
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GottaGo For This Useful Post:
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2020, 06:50 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 81,824
Thanks: 55,597
Thanked 26,346 Times in 18,864 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Andrew Yang explains details of Universal Basic Income

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
Parents, secondary schools, colleges, employers....

More and more disdain for the trades in society as a whole.

If there isn't a push for kids going to college, then why are people demanding that it be 'free'? Why are parents/kids willing to go hundreds of thousands of dollars into debt?

You yourself have supported the idea of 'free college'. So in specifics, YOU are pushing for that.
I don't hear it. but then I don't believe everything I see on tv.
we can't get the legislature to do votech or college prep though parents are trying.
__________________
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."
- Albert Camus
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2020, 07:41 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,246
Thanks: 7,542
Thanked 5,229 Times in 2,988 Posts
Default Re: Andrew Yang explains details of Universal Basic Income

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
I don't hear it. but then I don't believe everything I see on tv.
Translation: I don't believe anything I don't agree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
we can't get the legislature to do votech or college prep though parents are trying.
It's not up to the legislature, that is a function of the individual school boards.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
andrew, basic, details, explains, income, universal, yang

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0