Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > Political Forums > Economics
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Economics Discuss Need a loan? Equifax plans to sell more utility, phone records at the Political Forums; Well, I don't recall giving permission for my utilities to sell my payment information. Of course, you have the right ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-18-2019, 09:24 AM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Posts: 12,829
Thanks: 10,855
Thanked 9,039 Times in 5,627 Posts
Default Need a loan? Equifax plans to sell more utility, phone records

Well, I don't recall giving permission for my utilities to sell my payment information.

Of course, you have the right to opt out. Next up, loans predicated on your medical history. Don't laugh, the records are electronic, so I'm sure they could be put through a program that will summarize it and grade you, so that companies can judge if you will live long enough to pay back the loan...


https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...cid=spartanntp

Site won't let me c&p….
__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
If you don't laugh at yourself, a whole bunch of people will volunteer to do it for you
I never lose. I either win, or I learn....
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-18-2019, 10:24 AM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,199
Thanks: 9,794
Thanked 8,093 Times in 4,807 Posts
Default re: Need a loan? Equifax plans to sell more utility, phone records

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
Well, I don't recall giving permission for my utilities to sell my payment information.

Of course, you have the right to opt out. Next up, loans predicated on your medical history. Don't laugh, the records are electronic, so I'm sure they could be put through a program that will summarize it and grade you, so that companies can judge if you will live long enough to pay back the loan...


https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...cid=spartanntp

Site won't let me c&pů.
Opt out should be banned. And I typically don't advocate banning.

Check out Credit Karma. It's free and worth monitoring. Your credit score changes daily, largely based on yesterday's purchases and payments.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-18-2019, 04:18 PM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Posts: 12,829
Thanks: 10,855
Thanked 9,039 Times in 5,627 Posts
Default re: Need a loan? Equifax plans to sell more utility, phone records

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
Opt out should be banned. And I typically don't advocate banning.

Check out Credit Karma. It's free and worth monitoring. Your credit score changes daily, largely based on yesterday's purchases and payments.
Thanks, but my credit is just fine. I check it via Discover card for free.

I have an objection to having my data sold (a profit to the selling entity) so I can get more junk mail and annoying offers for things I don't want or need. WE have become the commodity, and that should be illegal.
__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
If you don't laugh at yourself, a whole bunch of people will volunteer to do it for you
I never lose. I either win, or I learn....
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GottaGo For This Useful Post:
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-18-2019, 06:33 PM
Lumara's Avatar
Belly Dance Queen
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Great Smoky Mountains
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,683
Thanks: 3,701
Thanked 3,246 Times in 1,612 Posts
Default re: Need a loan? Equifax plans to sell more utility, phone records

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
Thanks, but my credit is just fine.
Ditto.

Quote:
I have an objection to having my data sold (a profit to the selling entity) so I can get more junk mail and annoying offers for things I don't want or need. WE have become the commodity, and that should be illegal.
I agree. If an entity is going to sell my information, that is MY info and I should at least receive compensation for it.

I was disgusted when I moved into my new home and was barraged with mortgage lenders sending emails snail mails and phone calls wanting me to switch to them. I didn't realize my mortgage information was so public, and I'm against that, too. Privacy needs to be restored.
__________________
"The MAGA hat is not a symbol of hate; it actually exposes the symbols of hate." - Candace Owens
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lumara For This Useful Post:
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-19-2019, 08:26 AM
Conservative Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 17,682
Thanks: 11,010
Thanked 11,627 Times in 6,922 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to AZRWinger
Default Re: Need a loan? Equifax plans to sell more utility, phone records

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumara View Post
Ditto.



I agree. If an entity is going to sell my information, that is MY info and I should at least receive compensation for it.

I was disgusted when I moved into my new home and was barraged with mortgage lenders sending emails snail mails and phone calls wanting me to switch to them. I didn't realize my mortgage information was so public, and I'm against that, too. Privacy needs to be restored.
It's the home sale information that is public record. Just like voter rolls the government makes the information available to anyone. Depending on where you live you may be able to access real estate or voter data online.

BTW Thanks to Dodd Frank the Federal consumer credit bureau can access your detailed financial transaction information on a whim. No oversight is in place, they are not even funded by Congress, the Federal reserve imposes hidden fees on banks and financial institutions to "protect" us by spying on us. They do so with an army of hundreds of bureaucrats operating from a custom built office complete with multistory indoor waterfall.
__________________
What is a 30 something year old single man with a rock in one hand and a Honduran flag in the other?

An asylum seeker.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZRWinger For This Useful Post:
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-19-2019, 04:47 PM
Dog Man's Avatar
Down Boy!
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southern Nevada
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,882
Thanks: 5,170
Thanked 5,743 Times in 3,939 Posts
Default Re: Need a loan? Equifax plans to sell more utility, phone records

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
Thanks, but my credit is just fine. I check it via Discover card for free.

I have an objection to having my data sold (a profit to the selling entity) so I can get more junk mail and annoying offers for things I don't want or need. WE have become the commodity, and that should be illegal.
I thought my credit would take a hit since our house has been paid off for years, and we have not bought anything on credit for years.

We went to buy a new car and they said they had to run our credit, we said we were going to pay cash/check, but they still HAD to run it, I don't know why.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dog Man For This Useful Post:
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-19-2019, 04:53 PM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Posts: 12,829
Thanks: 10,855
Thanked 9,039 Times in 5,627 Posts
Default Re: Need a loan? Equifax plans to sell more utility, phone records

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Man View Post
I thought my credit would take a hit since our house has been paid off for years, and we have not bought anything on credit for years.

We went to buy a new car and they said they had to run our credit, we said we were going to pay cash/check, but they still HAD to run it, I don't know why.
Technically, no they did not have to run it, and they had no need of your personal info. I would have some serious questions for them, and then demand the credit report they ran, and require them to remove your personal information (SS#) from their system.

When I bought my most recent used car, they asked for my cell phone number, in case they needed to reach me. I specifically stated that it was not to be used for any type of marketing. "Oh no, we don't do that'. Yeah, I kept getting phone calls from Sirius asking if I wanted to turn on the system, and from extended warranty places.

My mother would have grounded me for a life time if she had heard the words I used. That dealership will never get my business again.
__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
If you don't laugh at yourself, a whole bunch of people will volunteer to do it for you
I never lose. I either win, or I learn....
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GottaGo For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
equifax, loan, more, need, phone, plans, records, sell, utility

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0