Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > Political Forums > Economics
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Economics Discuss Did anyone suppose that we would not notice? at the Political Forums; For many years, banks (and other banking-type institutions) gave APR (annual percentage rate ) on savings. They also charged APR ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-31-2018, 09:33 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,302
Thanks: 9,961
Thanked 3,792 Times in 2,480 Posts
Default Did anyone suppose that we would not notice?

For many years, banks (and other banking-type institutions) gave APR (annual percentage rate) on savings.

They also charged APR on their loans.

Even today, they charge APR on their loans
.
Yet they give only APY (annual percentage yield) on savings.

In short, the first is compounded; the second is not.

Did they really imagine that no one would notice?
__________________
"In his second inaugural address, [Franklin D.] Roosevelt sought 'unimagined power' to enforce the 'proper subordination' of private power to public power. He got it…"—George Will, July 8, 2007
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pjohns For This Useful Post:
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-31-2018, 09:42 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,365
Thanks: 8,803
Thanked 7,240 Times in 4,377 Posts
Default Re: Did anyone suppose that we would not notice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
For many years, banks (and other banking-type institutions) gave APR (annual percentage rate) on savings.

They also charged APR on their loans.

Even today, they charge APR on their loans
.
Yet they give only APY (annual percentage yield) on savings.

In short, the first is compounded; the second is not.

Did they really imagine that no one would notice?
You need a link or better backup to your claim. Not saying you're wrong, but I haven't heard of those changes. I think you are talking about two different things.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-31-2018, 09:51 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 77,710
Thanks: 54,479
Thanked 25,840 Times in 18,416 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Did anyone suppose that we would not notice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
For many years, banks (and other banking-type institutions) gave APR (annual percentage rate) on savings.

They also charged APR on their loans.

Even today, they charge APR on their loans
.
Yet they give only APY (annual percentage yield) on savings.

In short, the first is compounded; the second is not.

Did they really imagine that no one would notice?
Not much incentive to start a savings account anymore anyway with the low rates.
But I wouldn't doubt they put the screws to even that piddling rate.
__________________
Quote:
The state OF California has a booming economy and $16 billion in surplus and “rainy day” reserves
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saltwn For This Useful Post:
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2018, 07:26 AM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Posts: 11,965
Thanks: 9,802
Thanked 7,924 Times in 5,065 Posts
Default Re: Did anyone suppose that we would not notice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
You need a link or better backup to your claim. Not saying you're wrong, but I haven't heard of those changes. I think you are talking about two different things.
https://www.investopedia.com/persona...ll-difference/

__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
If you don't laugh at yourself, a whole bunch of people will volunteer to do it for you
I never lose. I either win, or I learn....
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GottaGo For This Useful Post:
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2018, 11:20 AM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,365
Thanks: 8,803
Thanked 7,240 Times in 4,377 Posts
Default Re: Did anyone suppose that we would not notice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
I get the difference between APR and APY and other methods of calculating interest. If you are looking for a place to park your money or spend your money or borrow somebody else's money it pays to examine each option. Depending on the circumstances, either one or the other can be right for you at a given time. Choose wisely.

An example: Credit card interest is both costly and varies widely. The worst is starting balance calculating. Basically if your starting balance is $1000 and you pay $500, you get charged interest on $1000. A bad deal? Not necessarily. I have one of those cards. I always pay it off monthly. No interest charge at all. The other perks on the card make it worthwhile.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2018, 11:59 AM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Posts: 11,965
Thanks: 9,802
Thanked 7,924 Times in 5,065 Posts
Default Re: Did anyone suppose that we would not notice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
I get the difference between APR and APY and other methods of calculating interest. If you are looking for a place to park your money or spend your money or borrow somebody else's money it pays to examine each option. Depending on the circumstances, either one or the other can be right for you at a given time. Choose wisely.

An example: Credit card interest is both costly and varies widely. The worst is starting balance calculating. Basically if your starting balance is $1000 and you pay $500, you get charged interest on $1000. A bad deal? Not necessarily. I have one of those cards. I always pay it off monthly. No interest charge at all. The other perks on the card make it worthwhile.
I understand what you are saying regarding credit cards, but that wasn't what the OP was about.

IMO, the OP was about the difference in the terminology used in regards to money in, versus, money out. Most people don't know there is a difference or how it's calculated.
__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
If you don't laugh at yourself, a whole bunch of people will volunteer to do it for you
I never lose. I either win, or I learn....
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GottaGo For This Useful Post:
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2018, 12:28 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,365
Thanks: 8,803
Thanked 7,240 Times in 4,377 Posts
Default Re: Did anyone suppose that we would not notice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
I understand what you are saying regarding credit cards, but that wasn't what the OP was about.

IMO, the OP was about the difference in the terminology used in regards to money in, versus, money out. Most people don't know there is a difference or how it's calculated.
I agree many do not know how to calculate interest. Many do not seem to care.

But why is that the problem of the lender? In every lending transaction, you are given full financial disclosure prior to signing the documents and in many cases you get 3 days after to rescind. That includes you lending to the bank.

The OP was about differences in how interest is calculated. In my mind that includes all interest. That it's calculated differently in different comes as no surprise.

BTW, a lot of those differences occur due to government dictates.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2018, 01:28 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,302
Thanks: 9,961
Thanked 3,792 Times in 2,480 Posts
Default Re: Did anyone suppose that we would not notice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
I get the difference between APR and APY and other methods of calculating interest. If you are looking for a place to park your money or spend your money or borrow somebody else's money it pays to examine each option. Depending on the circumstances, either one or the other can be right for you at a given time. Choose wisely.

An example: Credit card interest is both costly and varies widely. The worst is starting balance calculating. Basically if your starting balance is $1000 and you pay $500, you get charged interest on $1000. A bad deal? Not necessarily. I have one of those cards. I always pay it off monthly. No interest charge at all. The other perks on the card make it worthwhile.
I thoroughly agree with you as concerning credit-card interest. (I have said previously that a credit card may charge 99 percent interest, for all I care, as I simply do not pay any interest, since I pay off my credit card in full each month.)

But I do consider it disingenuous--perhaps "sneaky" would be a better word for it--for banks to have changed APR to APY, when it suits them. Banks should not be in the business of attempting to snooker their customers.
__________________
"In his second inaugural address, [Franklin D.] Roosevelt sought 'unimagined power' to enforce the 'proper subordination' of private power to public power. He got it…"—George Will, July 8, 2007
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pjohns For This Useful Post:
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2018, 01:47 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,365
Thanks: 8,803
Thanked 7,240 Times in 4,377 Posts
Default Re: Did anyone suppose that we would not notice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
I thoroughly agree with you as concerning credit-card interest. (I have said previously that a credit card may charge 99 percent interest, for all I care, as I simply do not pay any interest, since I pay off my credit card in full each month.)

But I do consider it disingenuous--perhaps "sneaky" would be a better word for it--for banks to have changed APR to APY, when it suits them. Banks should not be in the business of attempting to snooker their customers.
I have no idea why or if banks change their method of calculating interest. I've been out of the banking business for years. If they do, I would be interested in why, particularly if I had a loan or savings or checking account in the bank.

But without particulars, I wouldn't call it sneaky or disingenuous. I'd need more information on that particular transaction.

I do know that when I was involved in banking a lot of time was spent trying to make yesterdays bank transaction compatible with today's new government regulation.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2018, 08:33 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 77,710
Thanks: 54,479
Thanked 25,840 Times in 18,416 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Did anyone suppose that we would not notice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
I have no idea why or if banks change their method of calculating interest. I've been out of the banking business for years. If they do, I would be interested in why, particularly if I had a loan or savings or checking account in the bank.

But without particulars, I wouldn't call it sneaky or disingenuous. I'd need more information on that particular transaction.

I do know that when I was involved in banking a lot of time was spent trying to make yesterdays bank transaction compatible with today's new government regulation.
well you'd be bowled over if you've been out awhile. As with most professions, it ain't yer grandpa's store anymore
__________________
Quote:
The state OF California has a booming economy and $16 billion in surplus and “rainy day” reserves
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saltwn For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
anyone, did, not, notice, suppose, that, would

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0