Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > Political Forums > Economics
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Economics Discuss Finland is killing its world-famous basic income experiment at the Political Forums; Originally Posted by WallyWager Oh it's true that socialism has gained in popularity among millenials, and it's also true that ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 04-27-2018, 11:40 AM
foundit66's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,386
Thanks: 10,022
Thanked 15,138 Times in 9,175 Posts
Default Re: Finland is killing its world-famous basic income experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWager View Post
Oh it's true that socialism has gained in popularity among millenials, and it's also true that capitalism has seen a decline. Probably has less to do with secret socialist agents in colleges, and more to do with that generation having to enter the greater economy and the job market when the Great Recession hit. That on top of having to deal with slow wage growth, lesser career prospects than their parents, the growing burden of an already massive student debt bubble, and the worsening gap in economic and income inequality.

And when we point out these real problems in the current economic climate, problems that don't just affect the younger generation, we get dismissed as being brainwashed by some socialist cabal of educators.

I'm not totally on board with a universal basic income even if I can see its merits, and I'm definitely no socialist, but maybe captialism needs to improve and market itself better should it want to maintain its lead in our marketplace of economic ideas.

Also I have yet to see some sort of growth among politicians pledging to seize the means of production lol. Some have moved left, but not near that extreme.
Hitting the nail on the head. Especially the bold-red portion.

World's richest 1% grabbed 82% of all wealth created in 2017, Oxfam study finds
And what is really disgusting to me is how much of the right will use such things as talking points under a Democrat president, but when a Republican gets in office the problem is ignored.

Too many on the right refuse to acknowledge a balance is needed. Too many on the right believe only in pure capitalism (except where it favors corporations and then they ignore that government intrusion)
Government Spends More on Corporate Welfare Subsidies than Social Welfare Programs
We hear all about how social welfare needs to be ended, but who on the right actively champions going after the bigger hog of corporate welfare?

And to me, this article is an example of that balance being badly distorted towards the "socialist" side. But instead of acknowledging the agreement on that specific example, this is another strawman thread.
__________________
“Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
~Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 04-27-2018, 12:47 PM
GetAClue's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,296
Thanks: 2,946
Thanked 1,956 Times in 1,146 Posts
Default Re: Finland is killing its world-famous basic income experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
Hitting the nail on the head. Especially the bold-red portion.

World's richest 1% grabbed 82% of all wealth created in 2017, Oxfam study finds
And what is really disgusting to me is how much of the right will use such things as talking points under a Democrat president, but when a Republican gets in office the problem is ignored.

Too many on the right refuse to acknowledge a balance is needed. Too many on the right believe only in pure capitalism (except where it favors corporations and then they ignore that government intrusion)
Government Spends More on Corporate Welfare Subsidies than Social Welfare Programs
We hear all about how social welfare needs to be ended, but who on the right actively champions going after the bigger hog of corporate welfare?

And to me, this article is an example of that balance being badly distorted towards the "socialist" side. But instead of acknowledging the agreement on that specific example, this is another strawman thread.
I am more than willing to discuss this topic. However, I would like to understand what you feel "Corporate welfare" is. I think I know what people mean when they use that phrase, but I would be interested to know what you believe it to be.

As far as the richest 1% grabbing most of the wealth, I'm sure they are. However, instead of people trying to bring those people down, why don't those same people attempt to tackle it from the other end? What can those of us not in the 1% do to increase our own wealth? Why the focus on what other people have? That just sounds like envy and is not very productive.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GetAClue For This Useful Post:
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 04-27-2018, 02:46 PM
FrancSevin's Avatar
Runs with scissors
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: St Louis MO
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,347
Thanks: 7,398
Thanked 10,316 Times in 5,851 Posts
Default Re: Finland is killing its world-famous basic income experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
I am more than willing to discuss this topic. However, I would like to understand what you feel "Corporate welfare" is. I think I know what people mean when they use that phrase, but I would be interested to know what you believe it to be.

As far as the richest 1% grabbing most of the wealth, I'm sure they are. However, instead of people trying to bring those people down, why don't those same people attempt to tackle it from the other end? What can those of us not in the 1% do to increase our own wealth? Why the focus on what other people have? That just sounds like envy and is not very productive.
Some would suggest and think 1% are creating most of the wealth. And taking their share for do so.

I am saying this to you because you would understand the cobntext and the meaning.
__________________
I am going to hang a Batman Costume in my closet. .......... Just to screw with myself when I get alzheimer's.
sola gratia, sola fide, sola scriptura.

I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN, I AM A FREEMAN, THE DEMOCRATS WORST NIGHTMARE
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrancSevin For This Useful Post:
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 04-28-2018, 07:17 AM
Conservative Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 15,855
Thanks: 8,760
Thanked 9,447 Times in 5,779 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to AZRWinger
Default Re: Finland is killing its world-famous basic income experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
Hitting the nail on the head. Especially the bold-red portion.

World's richest 1% grabbed 82% of all wealth created in 2017, Oxfam study finds
And what is really disgusting to me is how much of the right will use such things as talking points under a Democrat president, but when a Republican gets in office the problem is ignored.

Too many on the right refuse to acknowledge a balance is needed. Too many on the right believe only in pure capitalism (except where it favors corporations and then they ignore that government intrusion)
Government Spends More on Corporate Welfare Subsidies than Social Welfare Programs
We hear all about how social welfare needs to be ended, but who on the right actively champions going after the bigger hog of corporate welfare?

And to me, this article is an example of that balance being badly distorted towards the "socialist" side. But instead of acknowledging the agreement on that specific example, this is another strawman thread.
The laundry list of so-called problems erroneously blamed on capitalism is classic Left wing demagoguery. For example, the exploding student loan debt is the result of a Federal government shelling out taxpayer dollars to greedy colleges and universities freed from the restraint of capitalist competition have increased their tuition and other charges faster than any other single major sector of the economy while turning out millions of graduates unqualified for high paying jobs. Never mind real reforms such as limiting student loans to disciplines that prepare graduates with strong job qualifications, it's capitalism's fault for not providing more high paying jobs for Elizabethan poetry majors.

There has never been a time in history where wealth wasn't unevenly distributed. Capitalism with basic but minimal regulation provides the best opportunities for the poor to become wealthy. We have strayed so far from the practice of capitalism that hucksters like Elon Musk can become billionaires by investing exclusively in heavily subsidized industries.

A closer examination of the social welfare numbers presented in the linked article claiming businesses receive more welfare than poor people is revealing.

Quote:
The common usage definition of social welfare includes welfare checks and food stamps. Welfare checks are supplied through a federal program called Temporary Aid for Needy Families. Combined federal and state TANF spending was about $26 billion in 2006. In 2009, the federal government will spend about $25 billion on rental aid for low-income households and about $8 billion on public housing projects. For some perspective, that’s about 3 percent of the total federal budget.
Where are the costs for food stamps, SNAP, around $70 billion and Medicaid around $550 billion? What about the massive costs of Medicare and Social Security? None are included in the absurdly low welfare spending numbers.
It's easy to bray about government about government spending twice as much on business subsidies as welfare when you just ignore the bulk of welfare spending. But the citation of this blatantly false article reveals the willingness to accept anything as fact as long as it agrees with the predetermined conclusion presented by Leftist demagoguery.
__________________
The Democrat's strategy for the Trump Presidency is the same one used by Stalin's secret police chief "show me the man and I will show you the crime."
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZRWinger For This Useful Post:
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 04-28-2018, 11:25 AM
FrancSevin's Avatar
Runs with scissors
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: St Louis MO
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,347
Thanks: 7,398
Thanked 10,316 Times in 5,851 Posts
Default Re: Finland is killing its world-famous basic income experiment

Food stamps are not "temporary"

And they come with benefits beyond feeding the "children."

Jus sayin'
__________________
I am going to hang a Batman Costume in my closet. .......... Just to screw with myself when I get alzheimer's.
sola gratia, sola fide, sola scriptura.

I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN, I AM A FREEMAN, THE DEMOCRATS WORST NIGHTMARE
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 04-30-2018, 06:48 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,296
Thanks: 2,946
Thanked 1,956 Times in 1,146 Posts
Default Re: Finland is killing its world-famous basic income experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancSevin View Post
Some would suggest and think 1% are creating most of the wealth. And taking their share for do so.

I am saying this to you because you would understand the cobntext and the meaning.
Yes, and I should have included that in my post. However, I felt that it was rather apparent. However, I can see where it would fly right over the heads of those that want to cry about the 1% achieving something that they themselves are unwilling to attempt.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GetAClue For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
basic, experiment, finland, income, its, killing, worldfamous

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0