Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > Political Forums > Economics
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Economics Discuss Tech industry needs 1 million jobs now at the Political Forums; They will be hard pressed to extract them from our underfunded, poorly managed education system. https://www.yahoo.com/newsroom/vibes...6-682177e43412 Sent from my VS501 ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2018, 03:31 AM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 74,271
Thanks: 53,275
Thanked 25,433 Times in 18,073 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Tech industry needs 1 million jobs now

They will be hard pressed to extract them from our underfunded, poorly managed education system.

https://www.yahoo.com/newsroom/vibes...6-682177e43412

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
__________________
...
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2018, 08:14 AM
ShivaTD's Avatar
Progressive Libertarian
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Immigrant to Arizona
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,024
Thanks: 1,433
Thanked 2,157 Times in 1,702 Posts
Default Re: Tech industry needs 1 million jobs now

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
They will be hard pressed to extract them from our underfunded, poorly managed education system.

https://www.yahoo.com/newsroom/vibes...6-682177e43412

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
A couple of points. These openings can be filled with H-1B visas to provide temporary residency for those people qualified for the positions and long as the temporary visa program allows that many foreigners into the country.

This also rings the bell with something the CEO of American Apparel discussed last year when discussion about revising the tax codes were underway. American Apparel has gone against the apparel industry by producing clothing in the United States as opposed to importing clothing and the CEO had a very pointed argument for what he thought Congress should do to help American enterprises.

He wasn't interested in lowering the corporate tax rate. What he wanted was a tax credit for on-the-job training of new employees. All enterprises require skilled labor to do the work of the enterprise and often that skill labor just isn't out there. They need to take people and literally train them to do what the enterprise needs. I dealt with this in aerospace because even highly qualified people with college degrees still had to learn the specific requirements for the corporations I worked for. There isn't an "industry standard" when it come down to the specific job role.

Many or most of these tech industry jobs will fall into that category. These jobs can be filled with Americans with good computer skills if the corporation is willing to provide the additional training they need to perform the work. The problem is that it would cost the corporations a lot of money to provide the on-the-job training and they are reluctant to spend the money. A "training" tax credit instead of the corporate tax cuts would have made this a viable option.

Next is that this argues against the "merit based immigration plans" that are being proposed. If the job is filled by temporary foreign labor under the H-1B visa program that job still remains open to Americans willing to train for the work. If we allow permanent immigration based upon the "merit" system to fill the position then the job is lost to American workers because it's permanently filled by the foreign worker. These are typically high paying jobs and for Americans to lose out in the long run when it comes to filling these positions it's not a good thing for us.
__________________
I CAN EXPLAIN IT TO YOU
BUT I CAN'T UNDERSTAND IT FOR YOU
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2018, 08:31 AM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,373
Thanks: 7,949
Thanked 6,623 Times in 4,007 Posts
Default Re: Tech industry needs 1 million jobs now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivaTD View Post
A couple of points. These openings can be filled with H-1B visas to provide temporary residency for those people qualified for the positions and long as the temporary visa program allows that many foreigners into the country.

This also rings the bell with something the CEO of American Apparel discussed last year when discussion about revising the tax codes were underway. American Apparel has gone against the apparel industry by producing clothing in the United States as opposed to importing clothing and the CEO had a very pointed argument for what he thought Congress should do to help American enterprises.

He wasn't interested in lowering the corporate tax rate. What he wanted was a tax credit for on-the-job training of new employees. All enterprises require skilled labor to do the work of the enterprise and often that skill labor just isn't out there. They need to take people and literally train them to do what the enterprise needs. I dealt with this in aerospace because even highly qualified people with college degrees still had to learn the specific requirements for the corporations I worked for. There isn't an "industry standard" when it come down to the specific job role.

Many or most of these tech industry jobs will fall into that category. These jobs can be filled with Americans with good computer skills if the corporation is willing to provide the additional training they need to perform the work. The problem is that it would cost the corporations a lot of money to provide the on-the-job training and they are reluctant to spend the money. A "training" tax credit instead of the corporate tax cuts would have made this a viable option.

Next is that this argues against the "merit based immigration plans" that are being proposed. If the job is filled by temporary foreign labor under the H-1B visa program that job still remains open to Americans willing to train for the work. If we allow permanent immigration based upon the "merit" system to fill the position then the job is lost to American workers because it's permanently filled by the foreign worker. These are typically high paying jobs and for Americans to lose out in the long run when it comes to filling these positions it's not a good thing for us.
Temporary workers when we needed them who left when no longer needed has long been the norm. Those who we needed long term had a chance to stay. Unfortunately, under the guidance of our past couple Presidents, temporary has become all too permanent.

All immigration should be based on our needs, not the needs of our guests.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimbo For This Useful Post:
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2018, 11:20 AM
Counselor
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Idaho
Gender: Male
Posts: 637
Thanks: 40
Thanked 453 Times in 271 Posts
Default Re: Tech industry needs 1 million jobs now

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
They will be hard pressed to extract them from our underfunded, poorly managed education system.

https://www.yahoo.com/newsroom/vibes...6-682177e43412

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
Read the top two comments on the page you linked. They are DEAD on.

Quote:
It's not a US labor shortage, it's US labor costs. At my last company management emailed all of us out of the blue saying Singapore workers cost 1/3 what we do. No joke So they shut down US manufacturing and outsourcing to Flextronics in Singapore. Over 300 people were walked out, most had been there for 10-15 years.
and

Quote:
Worked in tech for 25 years....this is a bogus claim to get Washington to approve more H1B's. Businesses don't want to pay a U.S. programmer 100K, but they'll pay 2 H1B's 50k each because the "blended rate" looks better to their bosses even though it costs more in the long run.
I work in the industry as well. I've lost my job in the past this way and I have had friends who have lost theirs as well. To add insult to injury they usually require these people to TRAIN their replacements. And they are DEFINITELY not as good at it as their american educated counterparts. So to put it bluntly. You are wrong.

Edit: Another comment that makes a very very very good point

Quote:
Total BS. If there is such a shortage of workers why aren't wages increasing rapidly. Companies just want CHEAP high skilled labor, whether it be by H1-B visas or by artificially keeping wages low.
Wages are definitely not going up. If anything, they are coming down. So yeah, bogus.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zenock For This Useful Post:
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-31-2018, 12:47 AM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 74,271
Thanks: 53,275
Thanked 25,433 Times in 18,073 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Tech industry needs 1 million jobs now

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
Temporary workers when we needed them who left when no longer needed has long been the norm. Those who we needed long term had a chance to stay. Unfortunately, under the guidance of our past couple Presidents, temporary has become all too permanent.

All immigration should be based on our needs, not the needs of our guests.
Past couple? . Try since Ronnie raygun

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
__________________
...
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-31-2018, 12:52 AM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 74,271
Thanks: 53,275
Thanked 25,433 Times in 18,073 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Tech industry needs 1 million jobs now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenock View Post
Read the top two comments on the page you linked. They are DEAD on.



and



I work in the industry as well. I've lost my job in the past this way and I have had friends who have lost theirs as well. To add insult to injury they usually require these people to TRAIN their replacements. And they are DEFINITELY not as good at it as their american educated counterparts. So to put it bluntly. You are wrong.

Edit: Another comment that makes a very very very good point



Wages are definitely not going up. If anything, they are coming down. So yeah, bogus.
How old are you? Going people are not being trained. And yes they should not give those jobs to underdeveloped and third worlds, but look at the bright side, son they will give em to robots. And there will be an even, greater divide between the haves and the have nots. They are getting us used to that gradually.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
__________________
...
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-31-2018, 12:53 AM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 74,271
Thanks: 53,275
Thanked 25,433 Times in 18,073 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Tech industry needs 1 million jobs now

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
How old are you? Going people are not being trained. And yes they should not give those jobs to underdeveloped and third worlds, but look at the bright side, son they will give em to robots. And there will be an even, greater divide between the haves and the have nots. They are getting us used to that gradually.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
Young people (not going people).

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
__________________
...
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-31-2018, 01:19 AM
RedState's Avatar
Somewhat Stable Genius
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,182
Thanks: 967
Thanked 1,517 Times in 1,119 Posts
Default Re: Tech industry needs 1 million jobs now

Well it's a good thing tRUmp is ending the fake war on clean coal then.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
industry, jobs, million, needs, now, tech

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0