Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > Political Forums > Economics
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Economics Discuss If The Rich Would Rather Leave than pay Taxes, Let Them (w/Guest President Franklin R at the Political Forums; In all the entirety of history, no nation has ever taxed itself into wealth for the poor. Ever....

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 12-07-2017, 08:55 PM
Bat Bat is offline
Hinged
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,805
Thanks: 74
Thanked 1,215 Times in 733 Posts
Default Re: If The Rich Would Rather Leave than pay Taxes, Let Them (w/Guest President Frankl

In all the entirety of history, no nation has ever taxed itself into wealth for the poor. Ever.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bat For This Useful Post:
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 12-07-2017, 08:59 PM
Surly's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Midwest
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,299
Thanks: 2,822
Thanked 3,069 Times in 2,400 Posts
Default Re: If The Rich Would Rather Leave than pay Taxes, Let Them (w/Guest President Frankl

Bumper sticker much?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat View Post
In all the entirety of history, no nation has ever taxed itself into wealth for the poor. Ever.
__________________
"I am the chosen one."

-Donald
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 12-07-2017, 09:29 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 81,127
Thanks: 55,374
Thanked 26,240 Times in 18,773 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: If The Rich Would Rather Leave than pay Taxes, Let Them (w/Guest President Frankl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly View Post
Bumper sticker much?
One he pulled straight out of his boots. Of course we "taxed ourselves" out of being poor. Some refuse to read even a title of history. I am not accusing everyone here of that. And I hope they will read the facts in a text book. But I won'y hold my breath.
__________________
Trumpís only true skill is the con...~Serwer|The Atlantic
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 12-07-2017, 10:12 PM
Surly's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Midwest
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,299
Thanks: 2,822
Thanked 3,069 Times in 2,400 Posts
Default Re: If The Rich Would Rather Leave than pay Taxes, Let Them (w/Guest President Frankl

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
One he pulled straight out of his boots. Of course we "taxed ourselves" out of being poor. Some refuse to read even a title of history. I am not accusing everyone here of that. And I hope they will read the facts in a text book. But I won'y hold my breath.
If the facts don't agree with the RW agenda, they ain't facts. Don't you know?
__________________
"I am the chosen one."

-Donald
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 12-07-2017, 11:51 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 81,127
Thanks: 55,374
Thanked 26,240 Times in 18,773 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: If The Rich Would Rather Leave than pay Taxes, Let Them (w/Guest President Frankl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly View Post
If the facts don't agree with the RW agenda, they ain't facts. Don't you know?
yes and it really pains me because I know where they get their information on the world and history.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
One he pulled straight out of his boots. Of course we "taxed ourselves" out of being poor. Some refuse to read even a title of history. I am not accusing everyone here of that. And I hope they will read the facts in a text book. But I won'y hold my breath.
tittle not title
__________________
Trumpís only true skill is the con...~Serwer|The Atlantic
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 12-07-2017, 11:52 PM
lurch907's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Alaska, the greatest place on earth.
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,814
Thanks: 1,050
Thanked 3,328 Times in 1,860 Posts
Default Re: If The Rich Would Rather Leave than pay Taxes, Let Them (w/Guest President Frankl

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
Wow just wow. Yeah read the encyclopedia. Start with Grover Cleaveland through Hoover and FDR. Don't take anyone's word for it but history's. I suggest the Britannica.
I have read plenty about FDR. I've read about how he locked up Americans in internment camps because they were of Japanese decent. I've read about how he was against anti-lynching legislation. I've read about how is financial policies drove the U.S. deeper into the depression. I've read about his massive expansions of gov't power.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 12-08-2017, 12:00 AM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 81,127
Thanks: 55,374
Thanked 26,240 Times in 18,773 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: If The Rich Would Rather Leave than pay Taxes, Let Them (w/Guest President Frankl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch907 View Post
I have read plenty about FDR. I've read about how he locked up Americans in internment camps because they were of Japanese decent. I've read about how he was against anti-lynching legislation. I've read about how is financial policies drove the U.S. deeper into the depression. I've read about his massive expansions of gov't power.
You haven't read the history of the depression in the encyclopedia. And obviously you never knew anyone who lived through it.
For instance did you know the Calvin Coolidge administration cut all income tax except a 2% tax on the most wealthy?
A lot of people blame Hoover but I think the downturn was in the works when he took office.
__________________
Trumpís only true skill is the con...~Serwer|The Atlantic
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 12-08-2017, 01:10 AM
lurch907's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Alaska, the greatest place on earth.
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,814
Thanks: 1,050
Thanked 3,328 Times in 1,860 Posts
Default Re: If The Rich Would Rather Leave than pay Taxes, Let Them (w/Guest President Frankl

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
You haven't read the history of the depression in the encyclopedia. And obviously you never knew anyone who lived through it.
For instance did you know the Calvin Coolidge administration cut all income tax except a 2% tax on the most wealthy?
A lot of people blame Hoover but I think the downturn was in the works when he took office.
Wrong, I am very familiar with the depression including what started it, what made it worse and what ended it.
Wrong again, my grandparents and I had many long talks about living through the depression.
Wrong some more, the lowest top tax rate during the Coolidge administration (according to the IRS) was 25%.
Well at least you got the last sentence partially correct, Hoover is not to blame for starting the depression. I'm not sure who your talking about, but I've never met anyone that blames him. He is correctly blamed for making it worse though, see Smoot-Hawley tariff act.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 12-08-2017, 05:01 AM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 81,127
Thanks: 55,374
Thanked 26,240 Times in 18,773 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: If The Rich Would Rather Leave than pay Taxes, Let Them (w/Guest President Frankl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch907 View Post
Wrong, I am very familiar with the depression including what started it, what made it worse and what ended it.
Wrong again, my grandparents and I had many long talks about living through the depression.
Wrong some more, the lowest top tax rate during the Coolidge administration (according to the IRS) was 25%.
Well at least you got the last sentence partially correct, Hoover is not to blame for starting the depression. I'm not sure who your talking about, but I've never met anyone that blames him. He is correctly blamed for making it worse though, see Smoot-Hawley tariff act.
By 1927, only the wealthiest 2% of taxpayers paid any federal income tax._The Presidency of Calvin Coolidge, Robert H. Ferrell, University Press of Kansas
__________________
Trumpís only true skill is the con...~Serwer|The Atlantic
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 12-08-2017, 05:08 AM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 81,127
Thanks: 55,374
Thanked 26,240 Times in 18,773 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: If The Rich Would Rather Leave than pay Taxes, Let Them (w/Guest President Frankl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch907 View Post
Wrong, I am very familiar with the depression including what started it, what made it worse and what ended it.
Wrong again, my grandparents and I had many long talks about living through the depression.
Wrong some more, the lowest top tax rate during the Coolidge administration (according to the IRS) was 25%.
Well at least you got the last sentence partially correct, Hoover is not to blame for starting the depression. I'm not sure who your talking about, but I've never met anyone that blames him. He is correctly blamed for making it worse though, see Smoot-Hawley tariff act.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
By 1927, only the wealthiest 2% of taxpayers paid any federal income tax._The Presidency of Calvin Coolidge, Robert H. Ferrell, University Press of Kansas
Besides which by the time Hoover left office, and Silent Cal was in an early grave, people were beginning to chew their belts to stave off hunger. And it got worse with the light attitude FDR first took with aid.
Some of the programs and building that went on to put people to work, serve us today. One that helped bring about invention and competitiveness was the GI Bill. Without it I doubt seriously we would have had the technological improvements and retail entrepreneurship (you could use it for business or home), that made us the advanced country we were in the 50's, 60's and 70's.
__________________
Trumpís only true skill is the con...~Serwer|The Atlantic
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
franklin, leave, let, pay, president, rather, rich, taxes, than, the, them, w or guest, would

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0