Political Wrinkles

Political Wrinkles (http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/)
-   Economics (http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/economics/)
-   -   Impact of a government shutdown (http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/economics/35153-impact-government-shutdown.html)

saltwn 09-30-2013 10:03 PM

Impact of a government shutdown
 
Scroll about half way down page. There you will see tabs for each department to click on and read the impact/what is going to shut down and be open. :wave


Impact of a government shutdown on federal agencies - The Washington Post

Gordon Shumway 10-01-2013 04:14 AM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
remember these government shutdowns and the horror it thrust upon the citizenry?
yeah...i didn't think so.


Past U.S. government shutdowns Timeline

Mikeyy 10-01-2013 07:02 AM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway (Post 602390)
remember these government shutdowns and the horror it thrust upon the citizenry?
yeah...i didn't think so.


Past U.S. government shutdowns Timeline

That doesn't tell the story. In fact with these tea party freaks it's only going to get worse. They will screw the country to get their way.

Surly 10-01-2013 07:38 AM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
I heard they want to/or did quit paying their staff. Someone last night was calling them kooks and I think that is poor form. But maybe accurate.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeyy (Post 602396)
That doesn't tell the story. In fact with these tea party freaks it's only going to get worse. They will screw the country to get their way.


Mikeyy 10-01-2013 07:53 AM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Surly (Post 602398)
I heard they want to/or did quit paying their staff. Someone last night was calling them kooks and I think that is poor form. But maybe accurate.

some people don't know the difference between a kook and a freak:D

GottaGo 10-01-2013 07:55 AM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
National Park here is closed for the moment, as reported on the radio.

Not a great inconvenience for the moment, other than those who use it for a cut through State to State.....

squerly 10-01-2013 08:30 AM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeyy (Post 602396)
In fact with these tea party freaks it's only going to get worse. They will screw the country to get their way.

Quote:

The Tea Party movement is an American decentralized political movement that is primarily known for advocating a reduction in the U.S. national debt and federal budget deficit by reducing U.S. government spending and taxes.
Yeah, these freaks sound dangerous and must be stopped.

Surly 10-01-2013 08:33 AM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
Correct.
Quote:

Originally Posted by squerly (Post 602414)
Yeah, these freaks sound dangerous and must be stopped.


saltwn 10-01-2013 10:37 AM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway (Post 602390)
remember these government shutdowns and the horror it thrust upon the citizenry?
yeah...i didn't think so.


Past U.S. government shutdowns Timeline

We didn't then have 10,000 people a day applying for Social Security either. :redface
Quote:

Originally Posted by GottaGo (Post 602404)
National Park here is closed for the moment, as reported on the radio.

Not a great inconvenience for the moment, other than those who use it for a cut through State to State.....

Reminds me of a comment I noticed via Twitter, a small business adjacent to one of the parks said he will be "furloughed" till they open back up. It's a coffee shop type restaurant, can't remember which park up in the NW somewhere.
Quote:

Originally Posted by squerly (Post 602414)
Yeah, these freaks sound dangerous and must be stopped.

When they will cost the economy billions to make a point...uh...yeah, they are not freaks, they are traitors imho, because they advocate chaos, and are hurting every one including the GOP.

GottaGo 10-01-2013 11:18 AM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
Most background check services and e-verify are down....

saltwn 10-01-2013 11:27 AM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GottaGo (Post 602470)
Most background check services and e-verify are down....

I thought that was state related...:confused

Oftencold 10-01-2013 11:34 AM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by saltwn (Post 602334)
Scroll about half way down page. There you will see tabs for each department to click on and read the impact/what is going to shut down and be open. :wave


Impact of a government shutdown on federal agencies - The Washington Post

"Non-essential services" shut down. Roll that phrase around in your head while other people to afford things like essential auto repairs, mortgage payments, roof repairs and tuition while having around half of their income confiscated to pay for that slop.

Surly 10-01-2013 11:37 AM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
You know, like these.

VBA Regional Offices public
contact services will not be
available
• No decisions on claims appeals
or motions will be issued by the
Board of Veterans Appeals
• Freedom of Information Act
queries will not be processed
• Privacy Act requests will not
be processed
• VA’s homepage (U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs)
will be updated intermittently
• VA’s main and hospital Social
Media Web sites will be updated
intermittently (Facebook, Twitter,
Blog, etc.)
• Recruiting and hiring of Veteran
job applicants will cease with the
exception of the Veterans Health
Administration
• Presidential Memorial certificates
will not be processed
• Interments at National
Cemeteries will be conducted
on a reduced schedule
• Overseas Military coordinator
operations will be suspended
• VA Secretary correspondence
with Veterans and VSOs
suspended
• Outreach and Public Awareness
Activities
• VetSuccess on Campus
suspended
• Vocational Rehabilitation and
Education Counseling will be
limited
• VBA will not be able to continue
overtime for claims processors
• Claims processing and payments
in the compensation, pension,
education, and vocational
rehabilitation programs are
anticipated to continue through
late October. However, in the
event of a prolonged shutdown,
claims processing and payments
in these programs would be
suspended when available
funding is exhausted

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oftencold (Post 602473)
"Non-essential services" shut down. Roll that phrase around in your head while other people to afford things like essential auto repairs, mortgage payments, roof repairs and tuition while having around half of their income confiscated to pay for that slop.


Oftencold 10-01-2013 11:37 AM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
When considering the hyperemotion of the Hapless Left serf class, theses "shutdowns," are reminiscent of the confusion one might expect of a flock of fattened sheep on the day that their alcoholic shepherds have passed out and failed to appear.

Mikeyy 10-01-2013 11:38 AM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
Ideology trumps real life.

Oftencold 10-01-2013 11:40 AM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeyy (Post 602479)
Ideology trumps real life.

Ideology shapes the lives of human beings. This pretty much became the case with the domestication of fire.

Oftencold 10-01-2013 11:43 AM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Surly (Post 602476)
You know, like these.

VBA Regional Offices public
contact services will not be
available
• No decisions on claims appeals
or motions will be issued by the
Board of Veterans Appeals
• Freedom of Information Act
queries will not be processed
• Privacy Act requests will not
be processed
• VA’s homepage (U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs)
will be updated intermittently
• VA’s main and hospital Social
Media Web sites will be updated
intermittently (Facebook, Twitter,
Blog, etc.)
• Recruiting and hiring of Veteran
job applicants will cease with the
exception of the Veterans Health
Administration
• Presidential Memorial certificates
will not be processed
• Interments at National
Cemeteries will be conducted
on a reduced schedule
• Overseas Military coordinator
operations will be suspended
• VA Secretary correspondence
with Veterans and VSOs
suspended
• Outreach and Public Awareness
Activities
• VetSuccess on Campus
suspended
• Vocational Rehabilitation and
Education Counseling will be
limited
• VBA will not be able to continue
overtime for claims processors
• Claims processing and payments
in the compensation, pension,
education, and vocational
rehabilitation programs are
anticipated to continue through
late October. However, in the
event of a prolonged shutdown,
claims processing and payments
in these programs would be
suspended when available
funding is exhausted

Yup. "Non-essential." That's how the strong arm men who take the money from productive individuals to pay for all the silliness have defined it. You aren't calling their judgement into question are you?

Surly 10-01-2013 11:43 AM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
Next time I say something about conservobots I dont want to hear a word.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oftencold (Post 602477)
When considering the hyperemotion of the Hapless Left serf class, theses "shutdowns," are reminiscent of the confusion one might expect of a flock of fattened sheep on the day that their alcoholic shepherds have passed out and failed to appear.


Mikeyy 10-01-2013 11:43 AM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oftencold (Post 602481)
Ideolog shapes the lives of human beings. This pretty much became the case with the domestication of fire.

Ideology was also behind a lot of things. Mao comes to mind. Rather than be led by an ideology not shared by the entire country perhaps the far right should try to make a law better. It would save everyone a ton of grief. Do you know why they don't work to make the ACA better? Because of partisanship. That it. Nothing more.

Oftencold 10-01-2013 11:47 AM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Surly (Post 602476)
. . .
Freedom of Information Act
queries will not be processed

. . .

Well of course. We can't have the Commoners looking behind the curtain during periods in which their Masters' incompetence is on display, now can we?

(The sheep will not see the beautiful, elegant irony here, and may continue bleating.)

saltwn 10-01-2013 11:50 AM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oftencold (Post 602473)
"Non-essential services" shut down. Roll that phrase around in your head while other people to afford things like essential auto repairs, mortgage payments, roof repairs and tuition while having around half of their income confiscated to pay for that slop.

I guess that depends on if you are working this morning expecting a paycheck or not...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Surly (Post 602476)
You know, like these.

VBA Regional Offices public
contact services will not be
available
• No decisions on claims appeals
or motions will be issued by the
Board of Veterans Appeals
• Freedom of Information Act
queries will not be processed
• Privacy Act requests will not
be processed
• VA’s homepage (U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs)
will be updated intermittently
• VA’s main and hospital Social
Media Web sites will be updated
intermittently (Facebook, Twitter,
Blog, etc.)
• Recruiting and hiring of Veteran
job applicants will cease with the
exception of the Veterans Health
Administration
• Presidential Memorial certificates
will not be processed
• Interments at National
Cemeteries will be conducted
on a reduced schedule
• Overseas Military coordinator
operations will be suspended
• VA Secretary correspondence
with Veterans and VSOs
suspended
• Outreach and Public Awareness
Activities
• VetSuccess on Campus
suspended
• Vocational Rehabilitation and
Education Counseling will be
limited
• VBA will not be able to continue
overtime for claims processors
• Claims processing and payments
in the compensation, pension,
education, and vocational
rehabilitation programs are
anticipated to continue through
late October. However, in the
event of a prolonged shutdown,
claims processing and payments
in these programs would be
suspended when available
funding is exhausted

:thumbsup

squerly 10-01-2013 11:57 AM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by saltwn (Post 602490)
I guess that depends on if you are working this morning expecting a paycheck or not...


I wonder how many of these people are salaried? Meaning this will equate to little more than paid time off.

Oftencold 10-01-2013 12:00 PM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by saltwn (Post 602490)
I guess that depends on if you are working this morning expecting a paycheck or not...


:thumbsup

We're talking about Federal workers whose bosses have termed their contributions to Society "non-essential." So obviously the term "work" is highly fluid here.

But feel free' do, to spend your own money to hire some (more) idle
Federal worker to do something useless for you, while leaving those of us who disdain such practices alone, OK?

Oftencold 10-01-2013 12:02 PM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by squerly (Post 602496)
I wonder how many of these people are salaried? Meaning this will equate to little more than paid time off.

In my experience, their careers as a whole constitute "paid time off."

Mikeyy 10-01-2013 12:02 PM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by squerly (Post 602496)
I wonder how many of these people are salaried? Meaning this will equate to little more than paid time off.

Ah, Lets all get together and judge folks. :D

Oftencold 10-01-2013 12:07 PM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Surly (Post 602486)
Next time I say something about conservobots I dont want to hear a word.

The trick is, that in order to avoid deserved derision, you have to say something clever, and transparently related to observable truth.

You see?

foundit66 10-01-2013 12:12 PM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeyy (Post 602396)
That doesn't tell the story. In fact with these tea party freaks it's only going to get worse. They will screw the country to get their way.

The thing that boggles my mind is that this shut-down will harm the economy...
... but they'll turn around and claim it was all because of Obama's policies. :eek

They've been preparing that bait and switch for weeks. A variety of threads around here predicting economic doom and gloom.
Some of the articles EXPLICITLY acknowledging that the fear is from this budget show-down. Some refusing to explicitly acknowledge that...

Oftencold 10-01-2013 12:13 PM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeyy (Post 602487)
. . .. Do you know why they don't work to make the ACA better? Because of partisanship. That it. Nothing more.

Oh, don't be so silly, it becomes tiresome.

Most Republicans, in case it has escaped your notice, are ready to fracture their party in order to oppose this stinking power grab.

This is a clear case of ideology trumping partisanship.


Reality, Reality, Reality!

saltwn 10-01-2013 12:16 PM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by squerly (Post 602496)
I wonder how many of these people are salaried? Meaning this will equate to little more than paid time off.

I don't know but when I worked for the VA we got paid every two weeks. :shrug

Surly 10-01-2013 12:39 PM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
Ok, make sure you point out when you think you do that so I have an example. :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oftencold (Post 602507)
The trick is, that in order to avoid deserved derision, you have to say something clever, and transparently related to observable truth.

You see?


Oftencold 10-01-2013 03:55 PM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeyy (Post 602504)
Ah, Lets all get together and judge folks. :D

When one pays for employees, it is wise, correct, and good to judge their performance, effect on the endeavor that they have been hired to advance, benefit to their employer, return on investment, and affordability.


Once again I invite you to inform us of who you have needlessly hired to provide and example of the superiority, fiscal and moral, of your posited philosophy.

MrLiberty 10-01-2013 04:00 PM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
Congressional stalemate rings in government slimdown | Fox News

Quote:

What the Obama administration is portraying as a "shutdown" of the federal government -- complete with signs posted at the entrances to government buildings, parks and monuments -- is turning out to be more of a "slimdown," as all but non-essential workers reported to their jobs Tuesday.

The biggest impact is expected to be felt for the 800,000 or so federal workers facing furlough. But hundreds of thousands of other workers are reporting for work, and a patchwork of services remains open to the public as lawmakers and the White House continue to battle over a spending package.

Mail will still be delivered, Social Security checks will go out and, thanks to a last-minute bill, the military will continue to get paid.

Lollie 10-01-2013 04:01 PM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
Military operations in Afghanistan, including the drawdown of U.S. troops and equipment, will continue, a senior defense official said last week. But death benefits for survivors of service members killed in the country will probably be delayed, the official said.

Some non-deployed military personnel will have to perform the work of furloughed civilians, most temporary duty travel will be canceled, and National Guard members and reservists will see inactive duty training curtailed, according to contingency plan guidance the Pentagon released last week.

Defense contractors will also be affected. The Pentagon won’t award new contracts or funding for partial awards or for cost-overruns, except in certain circumstances, according to the guidance.

“No funds will be available to pay such new contract or place additional increments of funding on contracts until Congress appropriates additional funds,” it states.

The Pentagon plans to continue funding a number of activities designed to protect life, property and national security, from war-related operations, to fire and emergency-response services, to inpatient care at military hospitals. Moves associated with recruitment and initial entry training will continue.

Schools run by the Department of Defense Educational Activity will also continue to operate as usual. Employees at the school and district levels will report to work, and students will continue to attend school. Student activities, including athletics, won’t be affected. However, employees at area offices and headquarters may be furloughed.

About 4 percent of the Veterans Affairs Department’s workforce – some 14,000 employees -- will be furloughed. More than half of those workers will come from the Veterans Benefits Administration, charged with clearing several hundred thousand backlogged claims.

"Veterans' call centers and regional offices would be closed immediately, effective immediately," White House spokesman Jay Carney said Monday during a press conference before the shutdown. "So those services that help veterans understand their benefits … would be closed."

Veterans' business support centers also would cease operating immediately, he said, while vocational rehabilitation and education counseling would be limited. And should the shutdown extend into the later part of October, VA compensation, education and other benefits would ‘be cut off.'"

As a government shutdown appeared more and more likely throughout the day, officials on bases and posts across the Defense Department prepared for its fallout.

The Army’s Maneuver Center of Excellence at Fort Benning, Ga., was still finalizing its plan Monday, but training will continue, Benning officials said. Benning is one of the Army’s Basic Combat Training centers and is also responsible for advanced individual training for infantry and armor jobs.

Fort Bragg, N.C., the home of the 82nd Airborne Division, plans to put about 38 percent of its civilian workforce on furlough if the shutdown goes forward, Bragg officials said Monday.

Fort Campbell, Ky., the post that houses the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), is taking a similar approach to support its soldiers.

“In matters of life, health and safety, as well as in maintaining our national security, we’re going to continue normal operations and mitigate negative impacts as best we can,” said Fort Campbell Garrison Commander Col. David “Buck” Dellinger, in a Sept. 30 press release.

“Essential services such as utilities, law enforcement and fire services, hospital emergency room services and soldier training and operations in direct support of national security and preparation for deployment will not be affected,” said Dellinger.

Army Air Force Exchange Service Manager Steve Martin said the post exchange and its operations should not be affected because the PX is largely funded through non-appropriated funds. However, he did note that “some transactions may be delayed, such as the purchase of firearms, which require background checks or other federal government actions.”

Troops' Pay Protected as Government Shuts Down | Military.com

Mikeyy 10-01-2013 04:03 PM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
Why would any of this matter to a right winger. They don't serve. :D
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lollie (Post 602648)
Military operations in Afghanistan, including the drawdown of U.S. troops and equipment, will continue, a senior defense official said last week. But death benefits for survivors of service members killed in the country will probably be delayed, the official said.

Some non-deployed military personnel will have to perform the work of furloughed civilians, most temporary duty travel will be canceled, and National Guard members and reservists will see inactive duty training curtailed, according to contingency plan guidance the Pentagon released last week.

Defense contractors will also be affected. The Pentagon won’t award new contracts or funding for partial awards or for cost-overruns, except in certain circumstances, according to the guidance.

“No funds will be available to pay such new contract or place additional increments of funding on contracts until Congress appropriates additional funds,” it states.

The Pentagon plans to continue funding a number of activities designed to protect life, property and national security, from war-related operations, to fire and emergency-response services, to inpatient care at military hospitals. Moves associated with recruitment and initial entry training will continue.

Schools run by the Department of Defense Educational Activity will also continue to operate as usual. Employees at the school and district levels will report to work, and students will continue to attend school. Student activities, including athletics, won’t be affected. However, employees at area offices and headquarters may be furloughed.

About 4 percent of the Veterans Affairs Department’s workforce – some 14,000 employees -- will be furloughed. More than half of those workers will come from the Veterans Benefits Administration, charged with clearing several hundred thousand backlogged claims.

"Veterans' call centers and regional offices would be closed immediately, effective immediately," White House spokesman Jay Carney said Monday during a press conference before the shutdown. "So those services that help veterans understand their benefits … would be closed."

Veterans' business support centers also would cease operating immediately, he said, while vocational rehabilitation and education counseling would be limited. And should the shutdown extend into the later part of October, VA compensation, education and other benefits would ‘be cut off.'"

As a government shutdown appeared more and more likely throughout the day, officials on bases and posts across the Defense Department prepared for its fallout.

The Army’s Maneuver Center of Excellence at Fort Benning, Ga., was still finalizing its plan Monday, but training will continue, Benning officials said. Benning is one of the Army’s Basic Combat Training centers and is also responsible for advanced individual training for infantry and armor jobs.

Fort Bragg, N.C., the home of the 82nd Airborne Division, plans to put about 38 percent of its civilian workforce on furlough if the shutdown goes forward, Bragg officials said Monday.

Fort Campbell, Ky., the post that houses the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), is taking a similar approach to support its soldiers.

“In matters of life, health and safety, as well as in maintaining our national security, we’re going to continue normal operations and mitigate negative impacts as best we can,” said Fort Campbell Garrison Commander Col. David “Buck” Dellinger, in a Sept. 30 press release.

“Essential services such as utilities, law enforcement and fire services, hospital emergency room services and soldier training and operations in direct support of national security and preparation for deployment will not be affected,” said Dellinger.

Army Air Force Exchange Service Manager Steve Martin said the post exchange and its operations should not be affected because the PX is largely funded through non-appropriated funds. However, he did note that “some transactions may be delayed, such as the purchase of firearms, which require background checks or other federal government actions.”

Troops' Pay Protected as Government Shuts Down | Military.com


Lollie 10-01-2013 04:57 PM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
National Zoo

Will shut down:

The National Zoo will be shutting its doors to the public starting today. And that means the live stream of cute pandas also won’t be running.


----
ahhh darn!

Mikeyy 10-01-2013 05:00 PM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lollie (Post 602696)
National Zoo

Will shut down:

The National Zoo will be shutting its doors to the public starting today. And that means the live stream of cute pandas also won’t be running.


----
ahhh darn!

I have never understood the fascination with Pandas. Really, I don't get it. I think Koalas are every bit as 'cute" as any panda. Not that I am in to either.

squerly 10-01-2013 05:58 PM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
800,000 government workers didn't go to work today and nothing, absolutely nothing changed in my life today... Maybe tomorrow???

Mikeyy 10-01-2013 06:01 PM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by squerly (Post 602718)
800,000 government workers didn't go to work today and nothing, absolutely nothing changed in my life today... Maybe tomorrow???

Of course it's all about you. Who cares what happens to other Americans as long as you are OK? :thumbsup

squerly 10-01-2013 06:07 PM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeyy (Post 602721)
Of course it's all about you. Who cares what happens to other Americans as long as you are OK? :thumbsup

How very liberal of you Mikeyy. I'm OK, not because of anything that the Obama administration has done for me but because of the efforts I make myself. Just thought it was funny 800K people (that I pay) took the day off and I didn't notice.

Mikeyy 10-01-2013 06:15 PM

Re: Impact of a government shutdown
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by squerly (Post 602724)
How very liberal of you Mikeyy. I'm OK, not because of anything that the Obama administration has done for me but because of the efforts I make myself. Just thought it was funny 800K people (that I pay) took the day off and I didn't notice.

Yeah, I like that we all look out for each other a bit. Doesn't hurt my feelings at all.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0