Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > Political Forums > Economics
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Economics Discuss Impact of a government shutdown at the Political Forums; Originally Posted by squerly How very liberal of you Mikeyy. I'm OK, not because of anything that the Obama administration ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2013, 12:17 AM
Jackass master's Avatar
Tired old ass
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: on top of the mountain
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,437
Thanks: 2,946
Thanked 4,198 Times in 2,459 Posts
Talking Re: Impact of a government shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by squerly View Post
How very liberal of you Mikeyy. I'm OK, not because of anything that the Obama administration has done for me but because of the efforts I make myself. Just thought it was funny 800K people (that I pay) took the day off and I didn't notice.
Not only did they have the day off but when things get workd out they will get paid for these extra vacation days.
__________________
I don't have much ammo, but will gladly waste some on you!
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jackass master For This Useful Post:
  #42 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2013, 12:27 AM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 83,634
Thanks: 56,105
Thanked 26,491 Times in 18,983 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Impact of a government shutdown

a few workers my niece is friends with in Texas got furloughed and an old acquaintance in Wisconsin works for a partially government funded department in a college; I dont think she got cut but many of her coworkers did.
__________________
...
Reply With Quote
  #43 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2013, 12:11 AM
Lollie's Avatar
Essential Deplorable
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Female
Posts: 18,867
Thanks: 15,669
Thanked 14,713 Times in 8,978 Posts
Default Re: Impact of a government shutdown




The consequences of government shutdown:


10) Sandra Fluke will have to spend $8.95 at Walgreens.

9) Pages intentionally left blank will not have the phrase “Intentionally Left Blank” printed on them.

8) Light bulbs will remain incandescent.

7) The IRS, EPA, OSHA, NSA and TSA will no longer able to serve your needs.

6) Edgy outsider artists forced to fearlessly challenge society without society’s money.

5) Dallas police department forced to make do with only 6 tank divisions.

4) Lack of lawn mower warning stickers leads to widespread amputations, decapitations.

3) Strip club ATMs no longer accept EBT cards; results in lower income for single moms.

2) How will drug cartels get their guns now?

1) Second graders will get off scot free after chewing their sandwiches into the shape of a gun.



Never Yet Melted Consequences of a Government Shutdown
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lollie For This Useful Post:
  #44 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2013, 12:30 AM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 83,634
Thanks: 56,105
Thanked 26,491 Times in 18,983 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Impact of a government shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollie View Post



The consequences of government shutdown:


10) Sandra Fluke will have to spend $8.95 at Walgreens.

9) Pages intentionally left blank will not have the phrase “Intentionally Left Blank” printed on them.

8) Light bulbs will remain incandescent.

7) The IRS, EPA, OSHA, NSA and TSA will no longer able to serve your needs.

6) Edgy outsider artists forced to fearlessly challenge society without society’s money.

5) Dallas police department forced to make do with only 6 tank divisions.

4) Lack of lawn mower warning stickers leads to widespread amputations, decapitations.

3) Strip club ATMs no longer accept EBT cards; results in lower income for single moms.

2) How will drug cartels get their guns now?

1) Second graders will get off scot free after chewing their sandwiches into the shape of a gun.



Never Yet Melted Consequences of a Government Shutdown
ya know...I disagree that this is a laughing matter. especially the dig about sandwiches and school lunch. I remember when that program was instituted. most states are going to decide if they go into more debt (without many other funds as well) or go on credit in a couple weeks to feed kids or go on credit to do something else essential to life.
and the sandra fluke crap...um...yeah...she is a decent acting human being who chose to speak up for something that some disagree with and has nothing to do with her own contraceptive care.
yeah, tawdry article at best.
__________________
...
Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2013, 12:42 AM
Oftencold's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,936
Thanks: 11,660
Thanked 9,718 Times in 6,203 Posts
Default Re: Impact of a government shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
ya know...I disagree that this is a laughing matter. especially the dig about sandwiches and school lunch. I remember when that program was instituted. most states are going to decide if they go into more debt (without many other funds as well) or go on credit in a couple weeks to feed kids or go on credit to do something else essential to life.
and the sandra fluke crap...um...yeah...she is a decent acting human being who chose to speak up for something that some disagree with and has nothing to do with her own contraceptive care.
yeah, tawdry article at best.
You remember when the school lunch program began? You mean when parents were competent to make a couple of sandwiches and put them in a lunch box with a Little Debbie cup and send their kids to school? You know, the days with lower illegitimacy rates, higher test scores, and fewer teen pregnancies?
__________________
“Quod scripsi, scripsi"

╠═════════════════════════════════════╣

“Serpent's breath, charm of death and life, thy omen of making!”
Or if you're a traditionalist,
“Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha!”
And children, say it like you mean it!

╠═════════════════════════════════════╣
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oftencold For This Useful Post:
  #46 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2013, 01:16 AM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 83,634
Thanks: 56,105
Thanked 26,491 Times in 18,983 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Impact of a government shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oftencold View Post
You remember when the school lunch program began? You mean when parents were competent to make a couple of sandwiches and put them in a lunch box with a Little Debbie cup and send their kids to school? You know, the days with lower illegitimacy rates, higher test scores, and fewer teen pregnancies?

I certainly do remember kids in my own class in 1st and second grade PASSING OUT from hunger.
I certainly do remember kids fighting each other on the play ground for a place in line to be one of two children in the entire 6 grades of school carry the milk crates up for a lunch plate.
I certainly do remember kids coming to school barefoot in the winter time with rotten teeth.
I certainly do remember the days when there was no child welfare and a drunken father could impregnate his 13 year old daughter and if she ran away she got put in reform school and no one believed her story.
I don't give a good diddly damn what their parents did or whether it is because their mom is sick and dad got laid off or if both their parents are drug dealers, we will never go back to that scenario in this country as long as I have breath in my body. If I have to be a "one-man show" to deal with it, I'll appear in congress, I'll knock on their door until they hear me live on tv or send me to jail multiple times. there will be hell to pay if your kind EVER gets its way again in this country with you horse SH*T of less government being better.
Unlike you and some crying that refrain, I am not a robot that only cares about numbers and what the hey I have. Big I and little you ;that's your game,; well let me tell you one thing...I can't because although I have already cursed, what I would say now to you, is just too gory and too right on. But it won't change your attitude, so go back to your self pitying, miserable life thinking you are somebody worthy of another breath of contempt. You are not.
__________________
...
Reply With Quote
  #47 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2013, 01:31 AM
Oftencold's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,936
Thanks: 11,660
Thanked 9,718 Times in 6,203 Posts
Default Re: Impact of a government shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
I certainly do remember kids in my own class in 1st and second grade PASSING OUT from hunger.
I certainly do remember kids fighting each other on the play ground for a place in line to be one of two children in the entire 6 grades of school carry the milk crates up for a lunch plate.
I certainly do remember kids coming to school barefoot in the winter time with rotten teeth.
I certainly do remember the days when there was no child welfare and a drunken father could impregnate his 13 year old daughter and if she ran away she got put in reform school and no one believed her story.
I don't give a good diddly damn what their parents did or whether it is because their mom is sick and dad got laid off or if both their parents are drug dealers, we will never go back to that scenario in this country as long as I have breath in my body. If I have to be a "one-man show" to deal with it, I'll appear in congress, I'll knock on their door until they hear me live on tv or send me to jail multiple times. there will be hell to pay if your kind EVER gets its way again in this country with you horse SH*T of less government being better.
Unlike you and some crying that refrain, I am not a robot that only cares about numbers and what the hey I have. Big I and little you ;that's your game,; well let me tell you one thing...I can't because although I have already cursed, what I would say now to you, is just too gory and too right on. But it won't change your attitude, so go back to your self pitying, miserable life thinking you are somebody worthy of another breath of contempt. You are not.
So why don't we just turn them over to the State to rear and be done?

Obviously you think that parents have no responsibility other than to breed, like livestock.

But yet again, if I am to be expected to feed other people's children, something that will provide me no real benefit whatsoever, that is properly charity. If it is to come about through force, no matter in the least how noble the supposed sentiment, it is robbery.

Again. We are sixteen trillion dollars in debt. We cannot afford these silly programs, which are designed wholly to create a dependent underclass which will vote as instructed. If you want the poor to be fed, then give of your own treasure, no one is stopping you. Until you've exhausted your own, you have no call on others.
__________________
“Quod scripsi, scripsi"

╠═════════════════════════════════════╣

“Serpent's breath, charm of death and life, thy omen of making!”
Or if you're a traditionalist,
“Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha!”
And children, say it like you mean it!

╠═════════════════════════════════════╣
Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2013, 01:32 AM
Lollie's Avatar
Essential Deplorable
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Female
Posts: 18,867
Thanks: 15,669
Thanked 14,713 Times in 8,978 Posts
Default Re: Impact of a government shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
ya know...I disagree that this is a laughing matter. especially the dig about sandwiches and school lunch. I remember when that program was instituted. most states are going to decide if they go into more debt (without many other funds as well) or go on credit in a couple weeks to feed kids or go on credit to do something else essential to life.
Did I say it was a laughing matter?
No.
I think the kids these day are going to be fine vs what happened way back in your days of hunger and sorrowful experience, Salty.
Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2013, 02:01 AM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 83,634
Thanks: 56,105
Thanked 26,491 Times in 18,983 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Impact of a government shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollie View Post
Did I say it was a laughing matter?
Yes. You did.



Quote:
I think the kids these day are going to be fine
as long as it's someone else's problem

Quote:
vs what happened way back in your days of hunger and sorrowful experience, Salty.
trouble is, old girl, it was not even a generation ago. and yes it was so sorrowful I almost cried when I first thought the school lunches were cut immediately. no child in America should have to sit in a class as one of 15-18 kids who are eating that day and had breakfast while 10-15 of the rest of them are asleep at their desk dreaming of food.
as for the claim it can never b that again:
Ignore a fire and it spreads

A Spark Neglected Burns the House by Leo Tolstoy
__________________
...

Last edited by saltwn; 10-03-2013 at 02:09 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #50 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2013, 02:50 AM
Lollie's Avatar
Essential Deplorable
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Female
Posts: 18,867
Thanks: 15,669
Thanked 14,713 Times in 8,978 Posts
Default Re: Impact of a government shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
Yes. You did.




as long as it's someone else's problem


trouble is, old girl, it was not even a generation ago. and yes it was so sorrowful I almost cried when I first thought the school lunches were cut immediately. no child in America should have to sit in a class as one of 15-18 kids who are eating that day and had breakfast while 10-15 of the rest of them are asleep at their desk dreaming of food.
as for the claim it can never b that again:
Ignore a fire and it spreads

A Spark Neglected Burns the House by Leo Tolstoy
You know, old girl... I could embellish and tell you stories of my kin, aunts and uncles who went to school in the south, but I'll stick to the simple facts of what I've been told.

No new shoes, no new frocks, but a lunch pail filled with bread..often sugar bread and an apple.
My Mother and my aunts walked to school, but they were never hungry when it came to lunch time.
There was this man who used to go to the schoolhouse they attended to pass out bottles of milk and a woman preacher who made fresh baked cookies, but Mother told me that was something that didn't happen all that often.
She always said, we were poor and we didn't know it, and we never went hungry.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lollie For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
government, impact, shutdown

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0