Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > Political Forums > Economics
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Economics Discuss Krugman on the (ostensible) need for new taxes, healthcare rationing at the Political Forums; Left-wing economist Paul Krugman--an icon of the American left--is, at least, candid in his assessment of where healthcare must go ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2013, 12:14 AM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,108
Thanks: 12,093
Thanked 4,419 Times in 2,842 Posts
Default Krugman on the (ostensible) need for new taxes, healthcare rationing

Left-wing economist Paul Krugman--an icon of the American left--is, at least, candid in his assessment of where healthcare must go (in his opinion) under ObamaCare: We must have a middle-class tax hike to fund it properly, in addition to the "death panels" (his own words) that were mentioned awhile back by Sarah Palin.

Here are his exact words:

Quote:
Eventually we do have a problem. That the population is getting older, health care costs are rising…there is this question of how we’re going to pay for the programs. The year 2025, the year 2030, something is going to have to give…. …. We’re going to need more revenue…Surely it will require some sort of middle class taxes as well.. We won’t be able to pay for the kind of government the society will want without some increase in taxes… on the middle class, maybe a value added tax…And we’re also going to have to make decisions about health care, doc pay for health care that has no demonstrated medical benefits . So the snarky version…which I shouldn’t even say because it will get me in trouble is death panels and sales taxes is how we do this.
And the link: Krugman: U.S. Needs Death Panels, Sales Taxes
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2013, 03:06 AM
cnredd's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Gender: Male
Posts: 55,372
Thanks: 2,260
Thanked 35,762 Times in 20,457 Posts
Default Re: Krugman on the (ostensible) need for new taxes, healthcare rationing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krugman
We won’t be able to pay for the kind of government the society will want...
We won’t be able to pay for the kind of government Liberals want...Not society...
__________________
"You get the respect that you give" - cnredd
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cnredd For This Useful Post:
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2013, 03:45 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PNW
Gender: Male
Posts: 70,513
Thanks: 22,404
Thanked 18,921 Times in 13,936 Posts
Default Re: Krugman on the (ostensible) need for new taxes, healthcare rationing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnredd View Post
We won’t be able to pay for the kind of government Liberals want...Not society...
We wouldn't be able to pay for the sort of government you imagine "We" want.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2013, 03:49 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PNW
Gender: Male
Posts: 70,513
Thanks: 22,404
Thanked 18,921 Times in 13,936 Posts
Default Re: Krugman on the (ostensible) need for new taxes, healthcare rationing

Ya know it's funny to me that the right complains about facts and then blames the guy showing them the facts. I suppose in the minds of some on the right just the fact that this is America and we are great these things will magically sort themselves out.

Unless we take a lot of the profit margin out of medicine and the health care system prices will continue to rise. Baby boomers will continue to get older and live longer adding more strain on the system. These are facts. If you don't like facts I'm sorry.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2013, 08:41 AM
Conservative Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 18,160
Thanks: 11,554
Thanked 12,356 Times in 7,275 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to AZRWinger
Default Re: Krugman on the (ostensible) need for new taxes, healthcare rationing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyy View Post
Ya know it's funny to me that the right complains about facts and then blames the guy showing them the facts. I suppose in the minds of some on the right just the fact that this is America and we are great these things will magically sort themselves out.

Unless we take a lot of the profit margin out of medicine and the health care system prices will continue to rise. Baby boomers will continue to get older and live longer adding more strain on the system. These are facts. If you don't like facts I'm sorry.
In light of your alleged alignment with the "facts" please explain why healthcare insurance premiums continue to rise well after the Obamacare mandate requiring insurance companies to pay out 80 - 85% of each premium dollar in benefits. The remainder has to cover administrative costs including customer service and fraud detection as well as profits. The industry average pre Obamacare was 8%. No doubt it has been reduced by Obamacare. The fact is health care costs are not driven by profiteers any more than they are inflated by greedy doctors preferring to cut off your foot rather than give you preventative care.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2013, 08:52 AM
rivrrat's Avatar
Queen of Awesomeness
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,833
Thanks: 3,272
Thanked 10,473 Times in 6,022 Posts
Default Re: Krugman on the (ostensible) need for new taxes, healthcare rationing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyy View Post
Ya know it's funny to me that the right complains about facts and then blames the guy showing them the facts. I suppose in the minds of some on the right just the fact that this is America and we are great these things will magically sort themselves out.

Unless we take a lot of the profit margin out of medicine and the health care system prices will continue to rise. Baby boomers will continue to get older and live longer adding more strain on the system. These are facts. If you don't like facts I'm sorry.
Incorrect. All that's needed is competition. And lessening of govt involvement and regulations. And removal of all insurance save for catastrophic. And tort reform.

Doctors and nurses making money for their jobs isn't the issue.
__________________


Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.

Gypsy Soul Memories
Scuba Diver Life
My YouTube Channel
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rivrrat For This Useful Post:
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2013, 09:38 AM
faithful_servant's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Beautiful conservative Central Oregon
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,290
Thanks: 6,030
Thanked 8,067 Times in 5,535 Posts
Default Re: Krugman on the (ostensible) need for new taxes, healthcare rationing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyy View Post
Ya know it's funny to me that the right complains about facts and then blames the guy showing them the facts. I suppose in the minds of some on the right just the fact that this is America and we are great these things will magically sort themselves out.

Unless we take a lot of the profit margin out of medicine and the health care system prices will continue to rise. Baby boomers will continue to get older and live longer adding more strain on the system. These are facts. If you don't like facts I'm sorry.
So do you support the idea of rationing healthcare to those who are elderly in order to continue to prop up a system that can't pay for itself??


Sorry, I just asked Mikkey a direct question and that always confuses him. Please feel free to divert the discussion away from Krugman's statement about "death panels".
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2013, 09:41 AM
faithful_servant's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Beautiful conservative Central Oregon
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,290
Thanks: 6,030
Thanked 8,067 Times in 5,535 Posts
Default Re: Krugman on the (ostensible) need for new taxes, healthcare rationing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
Incorrect. All that's needed is competition. And lessening of govt involvement and regulations. And removal of all insurance save for catastrophic. And tort reform.

Doctors and nurses making money for their jobs isn't the issue.
Neither is healthcare companies making money. It motivates them to come up with new and better drugs/treatments/equipment so that they can more money and people's lives can be saved/improved. But that would require that an honest approach be taken. One that doesn't demonize corporations for political points.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to faithful_servant For This Useful Post:
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2013, 09:46 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PNW
Gender: Male
Posts: 70,513
Thanks: 22,404
Thanked 18,921 Times in 13,936 Posts
Default Re: Krugman on the (ostensible) need for new taxes, healthcare rationing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
Incorrect. All that's needed is competition. And lessening of govt involvement and regulations. And removal of all insurance save for catastrophic. And tort reform.

Doctors and nurses making money for their jobs isn't the issue.
You are wrong. The blame gov't stuff is out of line in the health care debate.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2013, 09:50 AM
rivrrat's Avatar
Queen of Awesomeness
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,833
Thanks: 3,272
Thanked 10,473 Times in 6,022 Posts
Default Re: Krugman on the (ostensible) need for new taxes, healthcare rationing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyy View Post
You are wrong. The blame gov't stuff is out of line in the health care debate.
You are wrong. Govt regulation and interference contribute greatly to high prices.
__________________


Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.

Gypsy Soul Memories
Scuba Diver Life
My YouTube Channel
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
for, healthcare, krugman, need, new, ostensible, rationing, taxes, the

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0