Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > Political Forums > The Constitution & The Judicial Branch
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Constitution & The Judicial Branch Discuss Sotomayor faces friendly jury as hearings begin at the Political Forums; Originally Posted by mlurp To you maybe. But my opinion carries weight with me! And having some rejected by the ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 07-15-2009, 02:45 AM
dabateman's Avatar
Buckle-up Buttercup
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,121
Thanks: 2,113
Thanked 8,454 Times in 4,955 Posts
Default Re: Sotomayor faces friendly jury as hearings begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlurp View Post
To you maybe. But my opinion carries weight with me!

And having some rejected by the SC means what to you and your liberal minded crowd?

The only way any off this will work is if the Republic fails and zap they have a new system ready to set up. Stick with the liberal far left and see if you like the out come. I bet the rest of America will be upset.

You've yet to provide any evidence, only unfounded assertions and the attempt to use liberal as a derogatory term.

Bang that against a tree because it does matter! The mid 80's a new PAC and ACORN to help set it up and run it for her, funny how many of Obama's people have some place in the History of ACORN.. The same people who have the replacement economy that will wipe the slate clean and start afreash. B.S. All a liberal knows is tax and spend...
What interfers with her ability to do the job is her heart and mind, she thinks from a poor base yet made it in the big life, but sees things from old.
Again with your small minded understanding of what it means to be a liberal, you've fallen into that outmoded "tax and spend" mantra. The conservatives do that too or did you sleep through the past 8 years.

Really you're throwing things out there like a conspiracy nut but have yet to provide any exculpatory evidence.
__________________
Continue that line of reasoning, Muffin... I'm judging you. Harshly.



You get the respect you give. And if you're a Republican, you b*tch about paybacks being a b*tch. So sorry you're mad your guy is getting the respect you gave ours, Snowflakes.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 07-15-2009, 02:56 AM
cnredd's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Gender: Male
Posts: 52,676
Thanks: 2,028
Thanked 32,347 Times in 18,862 Posts
Default Re: Sotomayor faces friendly jury as hearings begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabateman View Post
you've fallen into that outmoded "tax and spend" mantra.
Immm...

Have you been Rip Van Wrinklin the past 5 months?...

"outmoded"...
__________________
"You get the respect that you give" - cnredd
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cnredd For This Useful Post:
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 07-15-2009, 02:58 AM
mlurp's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Flatlands
Gender: Male
Posts: 37,064
Thanks: 18,611
Thanked 10,720 Times in 8,359 Posts
Default Re: Sotomayor faces friendly jury as hearings begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabateman View Post
Again with your small minded understanding of what it means to be a liberal, you've fallen into that outmoded "tax and spend" mantra. The conservatives do that too or did you sleep through the past 8 years.

Really you're throwing things out there like a conspiracy nut but have yet to provide any exculpatory evidence.
And you sir use the language of the far left. So whats next? You have only personel attacks against my ideas....

America enjoy it while it lasts. The right to disagree!
__________________



_ ... _ Improvise - Adapt - Over Come ... _ ...

Last edited by mlurp; 07-15-2009 at 03:07 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 07-15-2009, 03:03 AM
dabateman's Avatar
Buckle-up Buttercup
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,121
Thanks: 2,113
Thanked 8,454 Times in 4,955 Posts
Default Re: Sotomayor faces friendly jury as hearings begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlurp View Post
And you sir use the languge of the far left. So whats next? You have only personel attacks against my ideas....

America enjoy it while it lasts. The right to disagree!
It's not a personal attack of your ideas. It's a personal attack of your attack. You paint with this broad messy brush and hope to splatter just enough paint on someone in hopes that they fit your mold. I'm hardly far left, in fact I'm quite moderate. I simply choose to look at the facts instead of letting my emotions get in the way.

Conservatives talk a big game about the tax and spend democrats, but that message has been lost on America thanks to GWB. Either way the government is going to tax and spend. That's been established.

I don't care if you like her. I just think you should base your decision on something a little bit more solid than your personal feelings towards her. Hold yourself to the same standard you would hold her to. Evaluate the law and then evaluate her decisions and show people why legally she is incorrect.
__________________
Continue that line of reasoning, Muffin... I'm judging you. Harshly.



You get the respect you give. And if you're a Republican, you b*tch about paybacks being a b*tch. So sorry you're mad your guy is getting the respect you gave ours, Snowflakes.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 07-15-2009, 03:17 AM
mlurp's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Flatlands
Gender: Male
Posts: 37,064
Thanks: 18,611
Thanked 10,720 Times in 8,359 Posts
Default Re: Sotomayor faces friendly jury as hearings begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabateman View Post
Hold yourself to the same standard you would hold her to. Evaluate the law and then evaluate her decisions and show people why legally she is incorrect.
I am... And I don't think she has all the honor or the will to seek the truth as I do!
now debate that and like a good middle of the roader, I will return sometime tomorrow to read your debate. But I doubt if I reply sense you have used all your points up about her. But you might get some more as your lhead lies upon the pillow and dreams the liberal dreams. WHEN YOU PICKED THE SIDE BECAUSE IT SUITED YOUR LIFE STYLE. Sorry cap lock. And I'm leaving and have a lot to do to shut down.
While I picked the center because it gives me room to lean some. You know be flexible. That something a lefty doesn't understand!
__________________



_ ... _ Improvise - Adapt - Over Come ... _ ...
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 07-15-2009, 03:28 AM
dabateman's Avatar
Buckle-up Buttercup
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,121
Thanks: 2,113
Thanked 8,454 Times in 4,955 Posts
Default Re: Sotomayor faces friendly jury as hearings begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlurp View Post
I am... And I don't think she has all the honor or the will to seek the truth as I do!
now debate that and like a good middle of the roader, I will return sometime tomorrow to read your debate. But I doubt if I reply sense you have used all your points up about her. But you might get some more as your lhead lies upon the pillow and dreams the liberal dreams. WHEN YOU PICKED THE SIDE BECAUSE IT SUITED YOUR LIFE STYLE. Sorry cap lock. And I'm leaving and have a lot to do to shut down.
While I picked the center because it gives me room to lean some. You know be flexible. That something a lefty doesn't understand!
1. You don't think that she has the honor or the will to seek the truth, but you've yet to establish any of her professional actions that would support your claim. If there are no facts based upon her professional actions to support your claim, how can your claim be used as a basis to reject the nominee?
2. I don't dream liberal dreams or conservative dreams. I simply dream. Both liberals and conservatives have wonderful ideas of how to move this nation forward in terms of legislation, but both have horrible roadblocks to American progress.
3. You've made an assumption that I support the judge based upon my "lifestyle" yet you've no evidence to support that assumption. It was simple for you to make that claim as an effort to discredit me but there is nothing in my support of Sotomayor that would indicate my lifestyle as a purpose for supporting her nomination. It's short sighted of you to make such an assumption, just as short sighted as it is for you to assume that personal beliefs of a jurist prevent him or her from issuing impartial verdicts.
4. I am flexible as are most who are center-left. If you were flexible you would make a decision based upon the facts instead of some orchestrated perception/image created.
__________________
Continue that line of reasoning, Muffin... I'm judging you. Harshly.



You get the respect you give. And if you're a Republican, you b*tch about paybacks being a b*tch. So sorry you're mad your guy is getting the respect you gave ours, Snowflakes.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 07-15-2009, 01:39 PM
mlurp's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Flatlands
Gender: Male
Posts: 37,064
Thanks: 18,611
Thanked 10,720 Times in 8,359 Posts
Default Re: Sotomayor faces friendly jury as hearings begin

When you can't answer does a person have a right to defend themselves yes.

As fo rthe lifestyle issue , As I closed to leave I paused a moment why did I hit cap lock by mistake, was it meant that should be pointed out? Or was it just a mistake on my part. I decided to leave it. And it wasn't meant to convey anything about your support fo rher as a SC Justice. It was directed to th efact your on a liberal rail because the GOP and Dems moderates kept the door closed far to long. Yea they talked it and said things but what did get done?

Why because I would be able to say like about 60 to 70% of American's I am
open minded (as you already know) I have a modest home, live a modest lifestyle, and the only difference between me and the others is I don't spend more than I have.
Except like mom and dad, a mortage and a car loan! Thats it. Oh ya and the bills that come from owning both.

And I wonder how that small piece of info our parent's should have given every one of us got lost!

You know how we lost it? I do! Or at least I have an informed opinon on how we lost it.

Now back to the SC nominee.

Coburn vs. Sotomayor

2 hrs 40 mins ago............Keep up man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was a battle of wits between GOP Sen. Tom Coburn, one of the most conservative senators, and the nominee. Who won? Tell us: @reply us on @AP_Courtside on Twitter.

Here's a capsule: Coburn, a strong advocate of individual gun ownership, found an intriguing way to question Sotomayor on that issue. First, he asked her how she could consider that the right to privacy (not mentioned in the Constitution) is settled law but the right to keep and bear arms (the Second Amendment) as unsettled.

Sotomayor started with her usual answer that judges don't make law. And she noted that the federal government and many states have laws restricting guns, such as possession of firearms by felons. Then the sparing got more interesting.

"Do I have a right to personal self-defense?" Coburn asked.

Sotomayor: "That's an abstract question."

Coburn: "That's what the public wants to know. Yes or no? Do we have that right?"

The judge thought for a moment, then came up with an answer based on her experience as a New York City prosecutor: "If there's a threat of serious injury you can use force. How imminent is the threat? If the threat is in this room and I go home get a gun and come back and shoot you, that may not be legal under New York law."

Coburn: "What the American people want to see is what your gut says."

Sotomayor said that's not how judges decide cases.

-Larry Margasak, AP reporter, Congress

Coburn vs. Sotomayor - Yahoo! News
__________________



_ ... _ Improvise - Adapt - Over Come ... _ ...
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 07-15-2009, 03:18 PM
mlurp's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Flatlands
Gender: Male
Posts: 37,064
Thanks: 18,611
Thanked 10,720 Times in 8,359 Posts
Default Re: Sotomayor faces friendly jury as hearings begin

An dI summit this also.... We do know where she stands as she came from a poor neighborhood and saw it all... But how much has the good lifestyle turned her away form the needs of the few and the ideas of the many?

.Sotomayor says Obama didn't ask abortion views

By DAVID ESPO and MARK SHERMAN, Associated Press Writers David Espo And Mark Sherman, Associated Press Writers 7 mins ago

WASHINGTON Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor declined repeatedly at Senate confirmation hearings Wednesday to disclose her views on abortion rights and said President Barack Obama never asked her before he chose her for the bench.

"I can't answer ... because I can't look at it in the abstract," she told Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., as he sought to draw her out with questions about hypothetical cases, including one in which a woman wanted to abort a 38-week fetus with a birth defect.

Even if she knew more about the specifics of a case, she added, "I probably couldn't opine because I'm sure that situation might well arise before the court."

Coburn opposes abortion rights, but Sotomayor was no more forthcoming when questioned by a lawmaker on the other side of the issue.

"Would you think that Roe might be a super-duper precedent?" probed Sen. Arlen Specter, D-Pa, pointing out that the landmark 1973 case that established the right to an abortion has been upheld in 38 cases. She did not answer directly, saying instead it was a settled precedent, a phrase she first used on Tuesday.

Sotomayor, tapped as the first Hispanic on the Supreme Court, also sidestepped when asked whether the Second Amendment right to bear arms applies to state laws as well as the federal government.

And she avoided being drawn into a discussion about Congress' authority under the Constitution to regulate financial markets.

Her reticence reflected a traditional concern among high court nominees about straying into areas where they may soon have to rule gun rights and abortion among them in Sotomayor's case.

But it also appeared to reflect a calculation by Sotomayor and administration officials in charge of shepherding her nomination that she was well on her way toward confirmation and thus had nothing to gain by providing detailed answers that her critics could use.

The Judiciary Committee hearings are expected to conclude Thursday.

A vote by the full Senate to confirm Sotomayor is expected in early August, allowing her to don the robes of a justice before a scheduled hearing on Sept. 9 on a case involving federal campaign finance law. loool just in time

.................................................. ..MORE HERE...........................
Sotomayor says Obama didn't ask abortion views - Yahoo! News
__________________



_ ... _ Improvise - Adapt - Over Come ... _ ...
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 07-15-2009, 03:22 PM
tristanrobin's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 2,633
Thanks: 964
Thanked 2,010 Times in 1,049 Posts
Default Re: Sotomayor faces friendly jury as hearings begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabateman View Post
It's not a personal attack of your ideas. It's a personal attack of your attack. .
why are they never able to discern the difference?
__________________
"No man is happy without a delusion of some kind. Delusions are as necessary to our happiness as realities."
...Christian Nestell Bovee
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 07-15-2009, 06:08 PM
mlurp's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Flatlands
Gender: Male
Posts: 37,064
Thanks: 18,611
Thanked 10,720 Times in 8,359 Posts
Default Re: Sotomayor faces friendly jury as hearings begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanrobin View Post
why are they never able to discern the difference?
"They" meaning other than Liberals, do discern the differences. That is why I didn't respond to the
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabateman
It's not a personal attack of your ideas. It's a personal attack of your
attack.
And I wasn't attacking anyone not even the SC nominee.

But thats the problem with Liberal's they will not accept that they could, might or remotly be wrong. So the debate continues well past its conclusion.

If I had said I was done there is nothing more for me to say. It would have continued with me being a winer or some other turd.

You both know me and that I don't judge if possible, I have a very open mind. And I like to think everyday I learn more. If you disagree with this that is your right. I and many others have fought and killed men over your rights. No matter what you say!

You guys pick apart one issue.. I do the same but with the bigger picture fresh in my mind. And include these thoughts in my posts where I feel they need to be reminded. It is my right!

Now if either of you would like to continue this debate do so without me! I am not asking, I'm telling you because I have rights too. Bye bye for now Liberals..
And our next meeting will tell me how heavy these truths have upset you both.
__________________



_ ... _ Improvise - Adapt - Over Come ... _ ...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
begin, faces, friendly, hearings, jury, sotomayor

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0