Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > Political Forums > The Constitution & The Judicial Branch
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Constitution & The Judicial Branch Discuss The size of the Supreme Court at the Political Forums; Originally Posted by pjohns I am guessing that you are referring to Merrick Garland. For openers, I really do not ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41 (permalink)  
Old 03-23-2019, 11:20 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 80,094
Thanks: 55,065
Thanked 26,116 Times in 18,661 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: The size of the Supreme Court

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
I am guessing that you are referring to Merrick Garland.

For openers, I really do not think of Supreme Court justices (or potential justices) as either "conservative" or "liberal." Rather, I regard them as either textualists and originalists or Living-Document types.

Merrick Garland, I believe, falls into the latter category.

Still, I would have had no problem with a hearing having been held for him.

To decline to do so, however, is not exactly my idea of "corrupt[tion]."
it is when you prevent a presidents appointee due hearing because of politics. it reeks of corruption. pretend it was the democrats. now how can you say otherwise?
pretend the democrats swore an oath to thwart reagan's agenda at every turn. they swooned over him because he had a mandate. obama has a mandate and gets the shunning.
at least that old speaker or whip ? from virginia lost his seat over it. small concession though.
__________________
Trump posted the wrong approval numbers and says wind turbines cause cancer. If brains were black powder, the guy couldn't blow his nose.
_ Stephen King
Reply With Quote
  #42 (permalink)  
Old 03-24-2019, 07:58 AM
Conservative Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 17,035
Thanks: 10,179
Thanked 10,703 Times in 6,471 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to AZRWinger
Default Re: The size of the Supreme Court

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
it is when you prevent a presidents appointee due hearing because of politics. it reeks of corruption. pretend it was the democrats. now how can you say otherwise?
pretend the democrats swore an oath to thwart reagan's agenda at every turn. they swooned over him because he had a mandate. obama has a mandate and gets the shunning.
at least that old speaker or whip ? from virginia lost his seat over it. small concession though.
There is no need to pretend Democrats denied due process in the Senate when they had the majority. They refused to take up more than 60 Obamacare reform bills, worse Harry Reid declared the Federal government didn't need a budget 3 years running so as to mask huge deficits. But anytime Obama didn't get his way it was a Constitutional crisis. Merrick Garland is a grievance that must be carefully nursed to stoke the drive for vengeance like the circus of hate constructed for Kavanaugh's confirmation hearings.
__________________
What is a 30 something year old single man with a rock in one hand and a Honduran flag in the other?

An asylum seeker.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AZRWinger For This Useful Post:
  #43 (permalink)  
Old 03-24-2019, 01:11 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,575
Thanks: 10,619
Thanked 3,989 Times in 2,594 Posts
Default Re: The size of the Supreme Court

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
it is when you prevent a presidents appointee due hearing because of politics. it reeks of corruption. pretend it was the democrats. now how can you say otherwise?
Politics, yes.

Corruption, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
pretend the democrats swore an oath to thwart reagan's agenda at every turn.
Ronald Reagan and Tip O'Neill had forged a close personal relationship, despite their philosophical differences.

Do you really suppose that the same can be said for Barack Obama and Mitch McConnell?

(By the way, I am certainly unaware of any such "oath," supposedly "sworn" by the Republicans.)
__________________
"In his second inaugural address, [Franklin D.] Roosevelt sought 'unimagined power' to enforce the 'proper subordination' of private power to public power. He got it…"—George Will, July 8, 2007
Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)  
Old 03-24-2019, 05:53 PM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,434
Thanks: 10,008
Thanked 6,195 Times in 4,211 Posts
Default Re: The size of the Supreme Court

soo, on topic,
the supreme court should stay the same, it's enough trouble as it is.
the question of raising the #s reminds me of this joke that goes.
There were 2 guys on the side of the rode with a pick-up truck full of melons.
They'd been there all day long without any sales. As the sun went down and they drove off one said to the other,
"I know what our problem is, we need a bigger truck"


but ummm there is one comment that kinda stuck out to me in this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant_Slothrop View Post
This is Trump and his supporters in a nutshell. Bragging about the evisceration of hundreds of years of ethical norms just so you can get your way. It’s shameful.

"hundreds of years of ethical norms"??!!
The Republicans are evisceration of hundreds of years of ethical norms?
Am in right universe here?
is this the same one where the democrats are legalizing and celebrating at birth abortions,
and forcing transvestites and anyone else in any bathroom they please and encouraging them to beat up on girls and women in sports,
and laws against "misuse" of gender pronouns, promoting of homosexual marriage,
and closing businesses of those that take religious exception.
Openly advocating the shut down of free speech on college campuses and the internet.
Suing and squelching any mention of God or Jesus in public school or in public in general.
While "celebrating" books about having "2 daddys" and inviting Drag queens to sit spread eagle with glitter on their gentiles in elementary school classes telling children to shake their booties.

Not to even to begin mention the far lesser offenses of the DNCs electoral corruption against their OWN. which is sadly politics as usual for both parties.

So seriously?
Who's " evisceration hundreds of years of ethical norms" exactly?

maybe "ethical" and "shameful" don't have the same meanings in this universe.
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8

Last edited by mr wonder; 03-24-2019 at 06:06 PM..
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mr wonder For This Useful Post:
  #45 (permalink)  
Old 03-28-2019, 03:28 AM
RedState's Avatar
Somewhat Stable Genius
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,739
Thanks: 1,167
Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,254 Posts
Default Re: The size of the Supreme Court

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
I do believe, sir that spot is already taken. At best third is the first open spot.
lol. This is why i like you. even though you are a racist *******, you sometimes come through with some funny zingers like this.
__________________
The total number of contacts between the tRUmp team
and Russia-linked operatives that we know about so far is 102.

-- SOURCE --
Reply With Quote
  #46 (permalink)  
Old 03-28-2019, 02:12 PM
lurch907's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Alaska, the greatest place on earth.
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,721
Thanks: 1,045
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,782 Posts
Default Re: The size of the Supreme Court

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedState View Post
lol. This is why i like you. even though you are a racist *******, ...
That's a pretty serious accusation to make against a fellow poster. Evidence?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lurch907 For This Useful Post:
  #47 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2019, 07:16 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,916
Thanks: 5,373
Thanked 3,509 Times in 2,063 Posts
Default Re: The size of the Supreme Court

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch907 View Post
That's a pretty serious accusation to make against a fellow poster. Evidence?
You disagree with him. That is all the evidence he needs to accuse others of racism, homophobia, Islamiphobia or about anything else that he considers sacred.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GetAClue For This Useful Post:
  #48 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2019, 03:40 PM
Conservative Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 17,035
Thanks: 10,179
Thanked 10,703 Times in 6,471 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to AZRWinger
Default Re: The size of the Supreme Court

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
You disagree with him. That is all the evidence he needs to accuse others of racism, homophobia, Islamiphobia or about anything else that he considers sacred.
Not sacred, just handy. Anyone who disagrees is a deplorable the particular phobia or isms are interchangeable.
__________________
What is a 30 something year old single man with a rock in one hand and a Honduran flag in the other?

An asylum seeker.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZRWinger For This Useful Post:
  #49 (permalink)  
Old 04-05-2019, 02:20 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,575
Thanks: 10,619
Thanked 3,989 Times in 2,594 Posts
Default Re: The size of the Supreme Court

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
You disagree with him. That is all the evidence he needs to accuse others of racism, homophobia, Islamiphobia or about anything else that he considers sacred.
This is why I have him on "Ignore": I am quite happy to disagree with someone, and debate the matter at hand. But if the point in question regularly devolves into mudslinging, that is quite another matter.
__________________
"In his second inaugural address, [Franklin D.] Roosevelt sought 'unimagined power' to enforce the 'proper subordination' of private power to public power. He got it…"—George Will, July 8, 2007
Reply With Quote
  #50 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2019, 02:21 AM
RedState's Avatar
Somewhat Stable Genius
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,739
Thanks: 1,167
Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,254 Posts
Default Re: The size of the Supreme Court

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch907 View Post
That's a pretty serious accusation to make against a fellow poster. Evidence?
Have you read his posts? He's said some pretty racist stuff in the past.

Just ask him, he'll admit it. I think he's proud of it too.
__________________
The total number of contacts between the tRUmp team
and Russia-linked operatives that we know about so far is 102.

-- SOURCE --
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
court, size, supreme, the

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0