Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > Political Forums > The Constitution & The Judicial Branch
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Constitution & The Judicial Branch Discuss Religious Waitress Fired For Refusing To Wear Jeans at the Political Forums; You Tube You Tube So what's your opinion on this?...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-01-2017, 09:01 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 73,384
Thanks: 52,931
Thanked 25,273 Times in 17,941 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Religious Waitress Fired For Refusing To Wear Jeans


So what's your opinion on this?
__________________
As a small business owner for over 30 years I can guarantee that taxes are at the bottom of my worries. My number one worry is will people want to buy my product. If the answer is no then a zero tax rate will mean nothing. Everyone from Bill Gates to a Pizza parlor owner knows this except the politicians. And yet they get reelected again and again. so who is the bigger fool here. we the people or the politicians_______Pattu
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-01-2017, 10:48 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PNW
Gender: Male
Posts: 70,513
Thanks: 22,404
Thanked 18,918 Times in 13,933 Posts
Default Re: Religious Waitress Fired For Refusing To Wear Jeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppn7uahJb1M

So what's your opinion on this?
Are jeans anti Christian now?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikeyy For This Useful Post:
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-01-2017, 11:41 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,160
Thanks: 7,677
Thanked 6,475 Times in 3,932 Posts
Default Re: Religious Waitress Fired For Refusing To Wear Jeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyy View Post
Are jeans anti Christian now?
She's Pentecostal. Dress codes vary according to the sect and the minister.

This is gonna be interesting. Lots of twists and turns.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimbo For This Useful Post:
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-01-2017, 11:46 PM
Surly's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Midwest
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,096
Thanks: 2,753
Thanked 3,002 Times in 2,344 Posts
Default Re: Religious Waitress Fired For Refusing To Wear Jeans

What if she applies for a job at Hooters?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
She's Pentecostal. Dress codes vary according to the sect and the minister.

This is gonna be interesting. Lots of twists and turns.
__________________
Grab her by the *****, Vote Roy Moore.

-Donald
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-01-2017, 11:51 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,160
Thanks: 7,677
Thanked 6,475 Times in 3,932 Posts
Default Re: Religious Waitress Fired For Refusing To Wear Jeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly View Post
What if she applies for a job at Hooters?
Pentecostals are allowed hooters. As long as they hang below the kneel Or is that dresses? I forget.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimbo For This Useful Post:
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2017, 07:41 AM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Posts: 10,800
Thanks: 8,449
Thanked 6,925 Times in 4,472 Posts
Default Re: Religious Waitress Fired For Refusing To Wear Jeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly View Post
What if she applies for a job at Hooters?
If a person applies for job knowing what the requirements are of the job, then asks for an exception that they didn't make clear at the time of applying/hiring, then IMO the problem lies with the applicant.

Employers aren't mind readers.
__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
If you can't laugh at yourself, you might as well get embalmed
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GottaGo For This Useful Post:
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2017, 11:48 AM
foundit66's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 24,843
Thanks: 9,806
Thanked 14,905 Times in 9,025 Posts
Default Re: Religious Waitress Fired For Refusing To Wear Jeans

"reasonable accommodations" for religion.
At face value, this seems a reasonable accommodation. But maybe the company would want to discuss this further in front of a judge to understand the context.

The whole "at interview" situation is frought with pitfalls. Interviewers aren't supposed to talk about religion at the interview in the first place. It's actually illegal.
The interviewee may not know of the dress code.

There is precedent on this issue which would fall on the side of the waitress ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_...6_Fitch_Stores
In 2008, Elauf, then 17 years old, applied for a job at an Abercrombie & Fitch store in Tulsa, Oklahoma. During her interview with the company, she was wearing a head scarf, but did not say why.[1] The woman interviewing her, Heather Cooke, was initially impressed with Elauf, but also concerned about her head scarf.[3] Cooke had told the manager of the store that she thought Elauf was wearing the scarf for religious reasons, but the manager responded that employees were not allowed to wear hats at work, and so declined to hire her.[4]

....
On June 1, 2015, the Supreme Court ruled 8–1 in favor of Elauf. In an opinion by Associate Justice Antonin Scalia, the Court held that Elauf did not have to explicitly request an accommodation to obtain protection from Title VII, which prohibits religious discrimination in hiring.[1]
__________________
“Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
~Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foundit66 For This Useful Post:
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2017, 11:56 AM
cnredd's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Gender: Male
Posts: 51,962
Thanks: 1,961
Thanked 31,697 Times in 18,529 Posts
Default Re: Religious Waitress Fired For Refusing To Wear Jeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
The whole "at interview" situation is frought with pitfalls. Interviewers aren't supposed to talk about religion at the interview in the first place. It's actually illegal.
The interviewee may not know of the dress code.
Many people don't wear jeans for a multitude of reasons, and mostly non-religious...

Pointing out the dress code beforehand would seem reasonable to me...For any job, really...
__________________
"You get the respect that you give" - cnredd
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2017, 12:02 PM
GottaGo's Avatar
Sanity is overrated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Posts: 10,800
Thanks: 8,449
Thanked 6,925 Times in 4,472 Posts
Default Re: Religious Waitress Fired For Refusing To Wear Jeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
"reasonable accommodations" for religion.
At face value, this seems a reasonable accommodation. But maybe the company would want to discuss this further in front of a judge to understand the context.

The whole "at interview" situation is frought with pitfalls. Interviewers aren't supposed to talk about religion at the interview in the first place. It's actually illegal.
The interviewee may not know of the dress code.

There is precedent on this issue which would fall on the side of the waitress ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_...6_Fitch_Stores
In 2008, Elauf, then 17 years old, applied for a job at an Abercrombie & Fitch store in Tulsa, Oklahoma. During her interview with the company, she was wearing a head scarf, but did not say why.[1] The woman interviewing her, Heather Cooke, was initially impressed with Elauf, but also concerned about her head scarf.[3] Cooke had told the manager of the store that she thought Elauf was wearing the scarf for religious reasons, but the manager responded that employees were not allowed to wear hats at work, and so declined to hire her.[4]

....
On June 1, 2015, the Supreme Court ruled 8–1 in favor of Elauf. In an opinion by Associate Justice Antonin Scalia, the Court held that Elauf did not have to explicitly request an accommodation to obtain protection from Title VII, which prohibits religious discrimination in hiring.[1]
The interviewers may not be able to ask the question, but providing the dress code would be a start. The interviewee can bring up any subject they like, and IMO, if for any reason they have a 'restriction', it should be made clear once the job offer is made. Then the employer can make 'reasonable accommodation', if it is indeed reasonable.
__________________
Your life is the sum total of the choices you make.
If you can't laugh at yourself, you might as well get embalmed
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2017, 12:39 PM
Lumara's Avatar
Belly Dance Queen
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Great Smoky Mountains
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,833
Thanks: 2,443
Thanked 2,290 Times in 1,109 Posts
Default Re: Religious Waitress Fired For Refusing To Wear Jeans

If a person's religion prevents him or her from abiding with a company's dress code, they should seek employment elsewhere. Enforcing a dress code isn't violating anyone's rights to practice a religion, since a person has the right to seek employment where their preferred mode of dress wouldn't be an issue. I agree that the employer should make the dress code clear during the interview, and then the employee can either agree to accept the dress code or look elsewhere for a job.
__________________
Every time someone tells me "You're gonna regret that in the morning" I sleep in until noon because I'm a problem solver.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lumara For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
fired, for, jeans, refusing, religious, waitress, wear

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0