Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Discussion > Climate Change & The Environment
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Climate Change & The Environment Discuss Honey Nut Cheerios Removes Mascot to Spotlight Declining Bee Population at the General Discussion; Originally Posted by saltwn more than likely what are called wood bees. they are pollinators tho not as good as ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 01-21-2017, 02:52 PM
Manitou's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,454
Thanks: 176
Thanked 5,184 Times in 3,769 Posts
Default Re: Honey Nut Cheerios Removes Mascot to Spotlight Declining Bee Population

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
more than likely what are called wood bees. they are pollinators tho not as good as honey bees. also try not to harm yellow jackets, hornets or wasps unless they are in a place you can't avoid. worst comes to worst these three can do a bit of pollinating.
I have no problem with stinging insects of any type. The asp is the only thing I stay away from.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manitou For This Useful Post:
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 01-21-2017, 08:44 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 72,247
Thanks: 52,435
Thanked 24,998 Times in 17,705 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Honey Nut Cheerios Removes Mascot to Spotlight Declining Bee Population

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitou View Post
I have no problem with stinging insects of any type. The asp is the only thing I stay away from.
__________________
Q "Why did Donald Trump do that?"
A "Why do skunks squirt?"
___overheard comments on news video
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 01-21-2017, 09:38 PM
FrancSevin's Avatar
Runs with scissors
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: St Louis MO
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,998
Thanks: 6,235
Thanked 8,859 Times in 5,092 Posts
Default Re: Honey Nut Cheerios Removes Mascot to Spotlight Declining Bee Population

The European honey bee is suffering only in part from pesticides. But the real issue is Hive collapse from mites.

I have 80 acres of pesticide free land in the Ozarks. It is covered in new forest and wild flowers after logging and a major fire 12 years ago.

I have tried four times. We have yet to have a hive survive there. The hive thrives for four to six months and then collapses. However, I must point out I am not a bee keeper. Haven't the foggiest idea how to do it.

That said, The wildflowers and berry bushes seem to get somehow pollinated and we have bumper crops of black berries, wild Raspberries and muscatel grapes.

I believe that in a few years, the bees that survive the infestations will overcome the invaders naturally. Meanwhile, I wonder why a pesticide kills the bees but not the mites which threaten them.
__________________
I am going to hang a Batman Costume in my closet. .......... Just to screw with myself when I get alzheimer's.
sola gratia, sola fide, sola scriptura.

I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN, I AM A FREEMAN, THE DEMOCRATS WORST NIGHTMARE
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FrancSevin For This Useful Post:
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 01-22-2017, 01:00 AM
Manitou's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,454
Thanks: 176
Thanked 5,184 Times in 3,769 Posts
Default Re: Honey Nut Cheerios Removes Mascot to Spotlight Declining Bee Population

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancSevin View Post
I believe that in a few years, the bees that survive the infestations will overcome the invaders naturally. Meanwhile, I wonder why a pesticide kills the bees but not the mites which threaten them.
Going down Conspiracy Lane, one would suspect that it is a government scheme to bring about an artificial reduction in the production of food, and from that point they aim to have control of the food that is grown, and thus have more control over the population.

The five essential things for anybody on this planet to survive--

1. Air
2. Shelter
3. Water
4. Food
5. Weapons


Only naive people cannot see their government workers as anything but their trustworthy friends, free to do as they please.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 01-22-2017, 01:40 AM
mlurp's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Flatlands
Gender: Male
Posts: 36,436
Thanks: 18,160
Thanked 10,437 Times in 8,140 Posts
Default Re: Honey Nut Cheerios Removes Mascot to Spotlight Declining Bee Population

Not that this is a cause of any bees dying, yet that might depend on who took them from the owner...

Yea CA. has all types of people, the good, the bad the ugly and the worst Progressives. Sorry I could not let it go by, I mean a free shot...

Anyway 488 Bee Hives is a lot, plus the pallets and other equipment needed to set up to pollinate acres of growing items so they produce their fruits. And along comes someone with the right equipment and cleans you out over night...
Plus a second set up by another bee keeper was hit and he took the loss too.


From the LA Times:

Quote:

Thieves steal hundreds of beehives primed to pollinate Central Valley almonds


Montana beekeeper Lloyd Cunniff shipped his 488 hives of bees in fresh, new pallets to Northern California last December........

.............................................. Continued At .........................................
Thieves steal hundreds of beehives primed to pollinate Central Valley almonds - LA Times
__________________



_ ... _ Improvise-Adapt-Over Come ... _ ...
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mlurp For This Useful Post:
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 01-22-2017, 08:27 AM
FrancSevin's Avatar
Runs with scissors
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: St Louis MO
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,998
Thanks: 6,235
Thanked 8,859 Times in 5,092 Posts
Default Re: Honey Nut Cheerios Removes Mascot to Spotlight Declining Bee Population

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitou View Post
Going down Conspiracy Lane, one would suspect that it is a government scheme to bring about an artificial reduction in the production of food, and from that point they aim to have control of the food that is grown, and thus have more control over the population.

The five essential things for anybody on this planet to survive--

1. Air
2. Shelter
3. Water
4. Food
5. Weapons


Only naive people cannot see their government workers as anything but their trustworthy friends, free to do as they please.
Nonsense. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

This is about BEES!


Mankind has historically suffered devastating losses to plague disease. So have species members of the animal kingdom. Their species survived and thrived. I remember AIDS was once called a government conspiracy to rid the world of Homosexuals. They are still here.
__________________
I am going to hang a Batman Costume in my closet. .......... Just to screw with myself when I get alzheimer's.
sola gratia, sola fide, sola scriptura.

I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN, I AM A FREEMAN, THE DEMOCRATS WORST NIGHTMARE

Last edited by FrancSevin; 01-22-2017 at 08:35 AM..
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrancSevin For This Useful Post:
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 01-22-2017, 12:15 PM
Manitou's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,454
Thanks: 176
Thanked 5,184 Times in 3,769 Posts
Default Re: Honey Nut Cheerios Removes Mascot to Spotlight Declining Bee Population

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancSevin View Post
Nonsense. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

This is about BEES!


Mankind has historically suffered devastating losses to plague disease. So have species members of the animal kingdom. Their species survived and thrived. I remember AIDS was once called a government conspiracy to rid the world of Homosexuals. They are still here.
Well, I did say, "going down Conspiracy Lane". And that was after you said, "I believe that in a few years, the bees that survive the infestations will overcome the invaders naturally. Meanwhile, I wonder why a pesticide kills the bees but not the mites which threaten them."

Could it be the insecticide crystallizes on the spiracles of the bee, but not on those of the smaller mite? Maybe pollen is the catalyst that helps in suffocating the bees?

I'm sure there is some genius out there specializing in crap like that who could tune the insecticide to the lethality due for mites, and leave the bees alone, eh?
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 01-22-2017, 01:19 PM
FrancSevin's Avatar
Runs with scissors
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: St Louis MO
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,998
Thanks: 6,235
Thanked 8,859 Times in 5,092 Posts
Default Re: Honey Nut Cheerios Removes Mascot to Spotlight Declining Bee Population

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitou View Post
Well, I did say, "going down Conspiracy Lane". And that was after you said, "I believe that in a few years, the bees that survive the infestations will overcome the invaders naturally. Meanwhile, I wonder why a pesticide kills the bees but not the mites which threaten them."

Could it be the insecticide crystallizes on the spiracles of the bee, but not on those of the smaller mite? Maybe pollen is the catalyst that helps in suffocating the bees?

I'm sure there is some genius out there specializing in crap like that who could tune the insecticide to the lethality due for mites, and leave the bees alone, eh?
Specialized insecticide??? Not so far.

But it is in the best interest of companies like Monsanto, not the government, to be working on it.
__________________
I am going to hang a Batman Costume in my closet. .......... Just to screw with myself when I get alzheimer's.
sola gratia, sola fide, sola scriptura.

I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN, I AM A FREEMAN, THE DEMOCRATS WORST NIGHTMARE
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 01-22-2017, 01:51 PM
Manitou's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,454
Thanks: 176
Thanked 5,184 Times in 3,769 Posts
Default Re: Honey Nut Cheerios Removes Mascot to Spotlight Declining Bee Population

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancSevin View Post
Specialized insecticide???
If Monsanto can f**k up food, then they can make specialized insecticides.
May Monsanto burn in Hell for all eternity either way.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 01-22-2017, 05:10 PM
FrancSevin's Avatar
Runs with scissors
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: St Louis MO
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,998
Thanks: 6,235
Thanked 8,859 Times in 5,092 Posts
Default Re: Honey Nut Cheerios Removes Mascot to Spotlight Declining Bee Population

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitou View Post
If Monsanto can f**k up food, then they can make specialized insecticides.
May Monsanto burn in Hell for all eternity either way.
Excuse my impertinence, but when was the last time you suffered famine?
__________________
I am going to hang a Batman Costume in my closet. .......... Just to screw with myself when I get alzheimer's.
sola gratia, sola fide, sola scriptura.

I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN, I AM A FREEMAN, THE DEMOCRATS WORST NIGHTMARE
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bee, cheerios, declining, honey, mascot, nut, population, removes, spotlight

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0