Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Discussion > Climate Change & The Environment
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Climate Change & The Environment Discuss Study: Environmentalists Have ‘Substantially Worse than Average’ Carbon Footprints at the General Discussion; Originally Posted by rivrrat As for eagles, wind turbines in 10 states have killed average of 6 a year. So, ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2014, 10:51 PM
Lollie's Avatar
Temperate
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ohio
Gender: Female
Posts: 16,311
Thanks: 13,517
Thanked 12,577 Times in 7,688 Posts
Default Re: Study: Environmentalists Have ‘Substantially Worse than Average’ Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
As for eagles, wind turbines in 10 states have killed average of 6 a year.

So, not all that deadly, considering.
The concern for me here is the ODNR tracking more and more bald eagles coming into this part of the state.
I've seen a few around here, but they mostly nest up north in Defiance county.
So with the wind energy moving more into the counties mentioned, it does cause concern for the plight of such a majestic bird, for me anyhow.
Wind power is catching on around here in a big way because of all the farmland.
__________________
Thought is free -
William Shakespeare
Reply With Quote
  #42 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2014, 11:02 PM
rivrrat's Avatar
Queen of Awesomeness
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,833
Thanks: 3,272
Thanked 10,471 Times in 6,020 Posts
Default Re: Study: Environmentalists Have ‘Substantially Worse than Average’ Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollie View Post
The concern for me here is the ODNR tracking more and more bald eagles coming into this part of the state.
I've seen a few around here, but they mostly nest up north in Defiance county.
So with the wind energy moving more into the counties mentioned, it does cause concern for the plight of such a majestic bird, for me anyhow.
Wind power is catching on around here in a big way because of all the farmland.
I completely agree it's a concern and so do turbine companies, which is why they're working on the problem. Newer turbines have already managed to mitigate some of the issues. I looked into a wind turbine for my house to use in conjunction with solar, but for where I live, the costs really outweigh the benefits. It's not suitable everywhere, for sure.
__________________


Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.

Gypsy Soul Memories
Scuba Diver Life
My YouTube Channel
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rivrrat For This Useful Post:
  #43 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2014, 11:34 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 70,516
Thanks: 51,499
Thanked 24,423 Times in 17,249 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Study: Environmentalists Have ‘Substantially Worse than Average’ Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancSevin View Post
Franc is not really an environmental activist. He is a conservationist. Big difference. And based on the tons of omitted landfill and acres of remediated forest, there has been little time in his life for an armchair.

As for being a quitter, You are right about that. I am quitting this useless conversation.
conservationist/environmentalist same thing different decade
the world could use your input of knowledge yet you choose to argue politics instead.
because it's easier
fine
__________________
He's right and I didn't vote for him but the people who did this are goat fricken less than low life losers. God bless the families of the harmed. God has already condemned the losers who did this cowardly crime.
Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)  
Old 05-27-2014, 10:12 PM
40yearfan's Avatar
Easy Living
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ.
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,970
Thanks: 2,617
Thanked 3,953 Times in 2,713 Posts
Default Re: Study: Environmentalists Have ‘Substantially Worse than Average’ Carbon Footprint

Question: If CO2 is the problem, why not plant more trees? Lots of them. It would have to be a lot cheaper than buying and selling carbon credits and it would increase habitat for animals substantially.
__________________
__________________________________________
We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics.
Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)  
Old 05-27-2014, 10:45 PM
rivrrat's Avatar
Queen of Awesomeness
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,833
Thanks: 3,272
Thanked 10,471 Times in 6,020 Posts
Default Re: Study: Environmentalists Have ‘Substantially Worse than Average’ Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40yearfan View Post
Question: If CO2 is the problem, why not plant more trees? Lots of them. It would have to be a lot cheaper than buying and selling carbon credits and it would increase habitat for animals substantially.
Trees only help with that if they're in the right places... like near the equator. But, they can only do so much anyway. Much is absorbed by the oceans which has already set in motion a slow catastrophe.
__________________


Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.

Gypsy Soul Memories
Scuba Diver Life
My YouTube Channel
Reply With Quote
  #46 (permalink)  
Old 05-27-2014, 11:45 PM
40yearfan's Avatar
Easy Living
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ.
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,970
Thanks: 2,617
Thanked 3,953 Times in 2,713 Posts
Default Re: Study: Environmentalists Have ‘Substantially Worse than Average’ Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
Trees only help with that if they're in the right places... like near the equator. But, they can only do so much anyway. Much is absorbed by the oceans which has already set in motion a slow catastrophe.
I disagree. A tree is a tree no matter where it is planted. They all use CO2 and push out oxygen. We have millions of miles of open space in this country alone. It sure is a far better scheme than buying and selling carbon credits or raising utility prices by 20% in the next 2 years.
__________________
__________________________________________
We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics.
Reply With Quote
  #47 (permalink)  
Old 05-27-2014, 11:57 PM
rivrrat's Avatar
Queen of Awesomeness
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,833
Thanks: 3,272
Thanked 10,471 Times in 6,020 Posts
Default Re: Study: Environmentalists Have ‘Substantially Worse than Average’ Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40yearfan View Post
I disagree. A tree is a tree no matter where it is planted. They all use CO2 and push out oxygen. We have millions of miles of open space in this country alone. It sure is a far better scheme than buying and selling carbon credits or raising utility prices by 20% in the next 2 years.
You can disagree all you want, but facts are facts.

HowStuffWorks "Green Myth 1: Planting Trees Will Fix Global Warming"
__________________


Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.

Gypsy Soul Memories
Scuba Diver Life
My YouTube Channel
Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)  
Old 05-28-2014, 12:11 AM
FrancSevin's Avatar
Runs with scissors
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: St Louis MO
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,206
Thanks: 5,603
Thanked 7,874 Times in 4,626 Posts
Default Re: Study: Environmentalists Have ‘Substantially Worse than Average’ Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
You can disagree all you want, but facts are facts.

HowStuffWorks "Green Myth 1: Planting Trees Will Fix Global Warming"
Ocean acidification by CO2 increases have not proven to be the catastrophe predicted. I have posted scientific studies of such in other threads here.
The logic of this argument completely escapes historical facts. CO2 is the building block of reef formations. Virtually all limestone on the planet is the result of such growth. Reefs are blooming and thriving all over the planet but the AGW community will not admit it.

IPPCC has volumes of peer reviewed data on the subject confirming that the impacts of acidification on sea life has not been negative.
And to further rub fur the wrong way, Deserts are turning green thanks to abundant CO2. Amazing.
.
__________________
I am going to hang a Batman Costume in my closet. .......... Just to screw with myself when I get alzheimer's.

PROUDLY DEPLORABLE
Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)  
Old 05-28-2014, 12:43 AM
rivrrat's Avatar
Queen of Awesomeness
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,833
Thanks: 3,272
Thanked 10,471 Times in 6,020 Posts
Default Re: Study: Environmentalists Have ‘Substantially Worse than Average’ Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancSevin View Post
Ocean acidification by CO2 increases have not proven to be the catastrophe predicted. I have posted scientific studies of such in other threads here.
And I have posted scientific studies stating otherwise, of which there are many. Excessive CO2 kills coral reefs.

Quote:
The logic of this argument completely escapes historical facts. CO2 is the building block of reef formations. Virtually all limestone on the planet is the result of such growth. .
No, limestone is the building block of reef formations. More specifically - aragonite. Corals utilize CO2 to create limestone, however, too much CO2 is bad and causes coral reefs to die. Atmospheric CO2 isn't the only cause, but it is a significant one. Pollution is another, and rising water temps are another.

Quote:
Reefs are blooming and thriving all over the planet but the AGW community will not admit it
Not been diving on many reefs, have you? One quarter of the reefs of the world are dead with well over half significantly damaged. And in some areas, 90% of the reefs are dead. (such as Seychelles)

Quote:
IPPCC has volumes of peer reviewed data on the subject confirming that the impacts of acidification on sea life has not been negative.
You mean the IPCC?

Really? Weird.

Quote:
The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Working Group II wrapped up its work at the end of March in Japan, where the final drafts were accepted for the Fifth Assessment Report of the IPCC. Both Working Group I and II highlighted ocean acidification as a concern.
Quote:
From the IPCC - “There is high confidence, based on substantial new evidence, that observed changes in marine and freshwater biological systems are associated with rising water temperatures, as well as related changes in ice cover, salinity, oxygen levels and circulation”
Quote:
And to further rub fur the wrong way, Deserts are turning green thanks to abundant CO2. Amazing.
.
WTF does that have to do with the ocean?

You do realize that "abundant CO2" in the ocean causes it to turn green too when combined with pollution that increases nutrients, by way of causing excessive algae growth. Which kills coral reefs. Do you know anything at all about reefs?
__________________


Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.

Gypsy Soul Memories
Scuba Diver Life
My YouTube Channel

Last edited by rivrrat; 05-28-2014 at 12:51 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #50 (permalink)  
Old 05-28-2014, 11:59 AM
FrancSevin's Avatar
Runs with scissors
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: St Louis MO
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,206
Thanks: 5,603
Thanked 7,874 Times in 4,626 Posts
Default Re: Study: Environmentalists Have ‘Substantially Worse than Average’ Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
And I have posted scientific studies stating otherwise, of which there are many. Excessive CO2 kills coral reefs.


No, limestone is the building block of reef formations. More specifically - aragonite. Corals utilize CO2 to create limestone, however, too much CO2 is bad and causes coral reefs to die. Atmospheric CO2 isn't the only cause, but it is a significant one. Pollution is another, and rising water temps are another.


Not been diving on many reefs, have you? One quarter of the reefs of the world are dead with well over half significantly damaged. And in some areas, 90% of the reefs are dead. (such as Seychelles)


You mean the IPCC?

Really? Weird.






WTF does that have to do with the ocean?

You do realize that "abundant CO2" in the ocean causes it to turn green too when combined with pollution that increases nutrients, by way of causing excessive algae growth. Which kills coral reefs. Do you know anything at all about reefs?
Again,

cut and parse conversations confuse what is said. If you cannot put your arguments together with cohesiveness, not much point. I didn't come here to play pong.

That said, most studies attempt to prove an agenda,a theory. Studies by the oppositio refuting those theories are the same. Best we can do is compare the logic of each to what facts we do know.

The NIPC continues to find data faults in the IPCC science. I get data updates from both. I continue to find the NIPC logic consistant with what I observe in real life.

The IPCC from the UN continues to claim Polar ice is melting. When you present them with the satilite photos to the contrary, they change thestory to "the Trend shows it melting."

The NIPC provides the evidence and allows you your own conclusions.

The IPCC asked for money to save the world. The NIPC asks for nothing but an open mind.
__________________
I am going to hang a Batman Costume in my closet. .......... Just to screw with myself when I get alzheimer's.

PROUDLY DEPLORABLE
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
average’, carbon, environmentalists, footprints, have, study, than, worse, ‘substantially

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0