Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > General Discussion > Climate Change & The Environment
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Climate Change & The Environment Discuss Scientists Warn of Rising Oceans From Polar Melt at the General Discussion; Originally Posted by saltwn I apologize for what I dont know but if it makes you happy there it is. ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 05-13-2014, 08:43 PM
Scholar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,738
Thanks: 7,237
Thanked 2,448 Times in 1,677 Posts
Default Re: Scientists Warn of Rising Oceans From Polar Melt

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
I apologize for what I dont know but if it makes you happy there it is.
You don't know that by posting:
Quote:
That would be a lie
(in response to my post) you are calling me a liar?
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 05-13-2014, 08:45 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 80,803
Thanks: 55,291
Thanked 26,206 Times in 18,744 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Scientists Warn of Rising Oceans From Polar Melt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
You don't know that by posting: (in response to my post) you are calling me a liar?
ok if u wont accept my apology then kiss my rusty old red...
but have it your way regardless. I'm flexible with small minded people.
__________________
"The President's not a racist." He just plays one on TV".~ Emsley Wyatt
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 05-13-2014, 08:54 PM
Scholar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,738
Thanks: 7,237
Thanked 2,448 Times in 1,677 Posts
Default Re: Scientists Warn of Rising Oceans From Polar Melt

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
ok if u wont accept my apology then kiss my rusty old red...
but have it your way regardless. I'm flexible with small minded people.
And that statement is okay and not considered flaming or name calling?
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 05-13-2014, 08:56 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,044
Thanks: 9,591
Thanked 7,856 Times in 4,703 Posts
Default Re: Scientists Warn of Rising Oceans From Polar Melt

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec View Post
Actually as someone born, raised, married and had 4 kids in Miami it is below sea level as is. It won't take 10 ft to flood the most of the bottom half of the state since most of it is below sea lever or a couple of feet at most in the panhandle. I give it about 10 years before they start having problems as will much of the east coast of the USA.
Joe, according to a couple of sites I looked up, the average elevation of Miami is 6 ft with a high of 26 ft. Not much, but still not a negative number. The average elevation of Florida is slightly less than 100 ft. Neither of these numbers has changed over the past few years.

But here is my question. Liberals, scientists and otherwise, claim that if all the ice melts, the oceans will rise somewhere between 23 and 200+ feet, depending on who is speaking. Those same people claim that half the ice has already melted.

Wouldn't it follow that Miami, NYC, most of Long Island, and those low lying counties along the east coast, are already under water?

I've lived in Va for 30 years and been to the beach more times than I can count. I can't see any difference in the ocean vs land distance. Mathews county, Va is shown on early topo maps as 12 feet above sea level. Same as the most recent. The cottages along Va Beach and the barrier islands are no closer to the ocean than 30 years ago. Nags Head, Corolla, and Duck are still above water.

Something is not right.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 05-14-2014, 07:28 AM
joec's Avatar
Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Russell Springs, Kentucky
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,869
Thanks: 65
Thanked 1,246 Times in 874 Posts
Default Re: Scientists Warn of Rising Oceans From Polar Melt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
Joe, according to a couple of sites I looked up, the average elevation of Miami is 6 ft with a high of 26 ft. Not much, but still not a negative number. The average elevation of Florida is slightly less than 100 ft. Neither of these numbers has changed over the past few years.

But here is my question. Liberals, scientists and otherwise, claim that if all the ice melts, the oceans will rise somewhere between 23 and 200+ feet, depending on who is speaking. Those same people claim that half the ice has already melted.

Wouldn't it follow that Miami, NYC, most of Long Island, and those low lying counties along the east coast, are already under water?

I've lived in Va for 30 years and been to the beach more times than I can count. I can't see any difference in the ocean vs land distance. Mathews county, Va is shown on early topo maps as 12 feet above sea level. Same as the most recent. The cottages along Va Beach and the barrier islands are no closer to the ocean than 30 years ago. Nags Head, Corolla, and Duck are still above water.

Something is not right.
Not necessarily but we will see over time what happens. Fact is the polar caps are melting regardless of cause. Hence more liquid water will be dumped into the oceans raising the sea levels world wide over time.

Now there other possibilities also. Such as this much fresh water dumped into the salt water will effect the life cycle of the oceans perhaps killing them. It could also have a bright spot in that it might stop the warm water currents such as the gulf stream that keeps south Florida warm as well as Great Britain with a livable climate which in turn could turn bring another ice age to the northern hemisphere. All conjecture though as none can be proved to most peoples satisfaction until it happens and is too late to have an effect.
__________________
Joe

I used to be Apathetic. But Now I Just Don't Care.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joec For This Useful Post:
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 05-14-2014, 08:55 AM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,044
Thanks: 9,591
Thanked 7,856 Times in 4,703 Posts
Default Re: Scientists Warn of Rising Oceans From Polar Melt

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec View Post
Not necessarily but we will see over time what happens. Fact is the polar caps are melting regardless of cause. Hence more liquid water will be dumped into the oceans raising the sea levels world wide over time.

Now there other possibilities also. Such as this much fresh water dumped into the salt water will effect the life cycle of the oceans perhaps killing them. It could also have a bright spot in that it might stop the warm water currents such as the gulf stream that keeps south Florida warm as well as Great Britain with a livable climate which in turn could turn bring another ice age to the northern hemisphere. All conjecture though as none can be proved to most peoples satisfaction until it happens and is too late to have an effect.
Why wouldn't it follow that melting half the ice would result in a sea level rise of half that of melting all the ice?

Fact is the polar ice is not necessarily melting in any abnormal way. Temperatures have been declining over the short term in spite of the computer models indicating a steady and accelerating increase. World ice cover is up.

Your posts like the writings of the climate scammers are full of those "settled science" words, might, may, would, could, should. And now the newest phrase in the climate disturbance science:

All this cold weather is the result of too much warming. Now you are claiming that all this warming is going to result in an ice age?

You are right though that global climate disturbance is all conjecture.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 05-14-2014, 11:22 AM
MRAPP's Avatar
Guide
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 447
Thanks: 654
Thanked 369 Times in 198 Posts
Default Re: Scientists Warn of Rising Oceans From Polar Melt

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
thanks for believing in propaganda

The above from someone who has just posted a left wing propaganda hoax about ice caps melting.

Global warming; climate change (or whatever they are calling it this week) is absolutely a hoax invented by the left. The purpose of the hoax is to attack the capitalist system in such a way making it impossible to do business and make a profit. Any variation in climate is cyclical and has been for millions of years. The effect of human activity is negligible. The left tries to perpetrate the hoax by falsely claiming it is science, yet leftists (like the originator of this thread) cling to it as dogmatically as the most religious zealot clings to the tenets of their religion
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MRAPP For This Useful Post:
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 05-14-2014, 12:06 PM
joec's Avatar
Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Russell Springs, Kentucky
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,869
Thanks: 65
Thanked 1,246 Times in 874 Posts
Default Re: Scientists Warn of Rising Oceans From Polar Melt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
Why wouldn't it follow that melting half the ice would result in a sea level rise of half that of melting all the ice?

Fact is the polar ice is not necessarily melting in any abnormal way. Temperatures have been declining over the short term in spite of the computer models indicating a steady and accelerating increase. World ice cover is up.

Your posts like the writings of the climate scammers are full of those "settled science" words, might, may, would, could, should. And now the newest phrase in the climate disturbance science:

All this cold weather is the result of too much warming. Now you are claiming that all this warming is going to result in an ice age?

You are right though that global climate disturbance is all conjecture.
I don't know how to answer your assumption, jimbo since you have your mind made up that it is all a scam. So be it and just hope you aren't around when this planet kicks human life to the curb, especially if we either ignored the warnings or where afraid of trying to fix it before it was too late. I personally figure it is too late now to fix anything and mankind is destined to join other vanished species.
__________________
Joe

I used to be Apathetic. But Now I Just Don't Care.
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 05-14-2014, 02:54 PM
FrancSevin's Avatar
Runs with scissors
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: St Louis MO
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,639
Thanks: 8,756
Thanked 12,086 Times in 6,716 Posts
Default Re: Scientists Warn of Rising Oceans From Polar Melt

It is all so confusing out hter in the scientific worrld. No matter what the Church of Al Gore tell you, there is no consensus.

I received both of these articles today.

Pro disaster;

SEAS TO RISE 4 FEET IT CANNOT BE STOPPED!

Irvine, CA — A rapidly melting section of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet appears to be in irreversible decline, with nothing to stop the entire glacial basin from disappearing into the sea, according to researchers at UC Irvine and NASA. The new study presents multiple lines of evidence — incorporating 40 years of observations — that six massive glaciers in the Amundsen Sea sector “have passed the point of no return,” according to glaciologist Eric Rignot, a UC Irvine Earth system science professor who is also with NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory. The new study has been accepted for publication in Geophysical Research Letters, a journal of the American Geophysical Union.

These glaciers already contribute significantly to sea level rise, releasing as much ice into the ocean each year as the entire Greenland Ice Sheet does. They contain enough ice to boost the global sea level by four feet (1.2 meters) and are melting faster than most scientists had expected. Rignot said the findings will require that current predictions of sea level rise be revised upward.

“This sector will be a major contributor to sea level rise in the decades and centuries to come,” Rignot said. “A conservative estimate is that it could take several centuries for all of the ice to flow into the sea.”

http://www.scientificcomputing.com/n...5&location=top




To counter this BS;

RECORD GLACIER GROWTH IN ANTARTICA

Irvine, CA — A rapidly melting section of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet appears to be in irreversible decline, with nothing to stop the entire glacial basin from disappearing into the sea, according to researchers at UC Irvine and NASA. The new study presents multiple lines of evidence — incorporating 40 years of observations — that six massive glaciers in the Amundsen Sea sector “have passed the point of no return,” according to glaciologist Eric Rignot, a UC Irvine Earth system science professor who is also with NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory. The new study has been accepted for publication in Geophysical Research Letters, a journal of the American Geophysical Union.

These glaciers already contribute significantly to sea level rise, releasing as much ice into the ocean each year as the entire Greenland Ice Sheet does. They contain enough ice to boost the global sea level by four feet (1.2 meters) and are melting faster than most scientists had expected. Rignot said the findings will require that current predictions of sea level rise be revised upward.

“This sector will be a major contributor to sea level rise in the decades and centuries to come,” Rignot said. “A conservative estimate is that it could take several centuries for all of the ice to flow into the sea.”

http://conservativebyte.com/2014/05/...break-records/

So.....which is it? Are we gonna die or is the earth compensating and some members of the "scientific" Community refuse to admit it?

In any event, the process s global and beyond man's abiolity to control. At least with our current coruupted governments hell bent on controkling the activities of man
__________________
I am going to hang a Batman Costume in my closet. .......... Just to screw with myself when I get alzheimer's.
sola gratia, sola fide, sola scriptura.

I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN, I AM A FREEMAN, THE DEMOCRATS WORST NIGHTMARE

Last edited by FrancSevin; 05-14-2014 at 03:06 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 05-15-2014, 12:30 AM
40yearfan's Avatar
Easy Living
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ.
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,970
Thanks: 2,617
Thanked 3,963 Times in 2,718 Posts
Default Re: Scientists Warn of Rising Oceans From Polar Melt

Global Cooling: Antarctic Sea Ice Coverage Continues To Break Records


Quote:
Antarctic sea ice coverage reached record levels for April, hitting 3.5 million square miles — the largest on record.

It was a cold summer down in Antarctica, with sea ice coverage growing about 43,500 square miles a day, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSDC). April 2014 beats the previous sea-ice coverage record from April 2008 by a whopping 124,000 square miles.

But even with autumn in full swing in the South Pole, “record levels continue to be set in early May,” reports the NSDC. Sea ice levels have been “significantly above” satellite data averages for 16 consecutive months.

The most pronounced growth in sea-ice coverage is in the eastern Weddell Sea and areas south of Australia and along the southeastern Indian Ocean, according to NSDC. And temperatures in the Weddell Sea region have been 1 to 2 degrees Celsius below the 1981 to 2010 average during March and April. Similar cooling trends have lowered average temperatures along the southern Indian Ocean by 2 to 3 degrees Celsius.

“However, across much of the far Southern Hemisphere, temperatures have been above average: For example, in the southern Antarctic Peninsula, temperatures have been 1 to 2 degrees Celsius (2 to 4 degrees Fahrenheit) above average; in the southern South Pacific, temperatures have been 1.5 to 2.5 degrees Celsius (3 to 4 degrees Fahrenheit) above average, and up to 4 degrees Celsius (7 degrees Fahrenheit) above average in the area near the South Pole,” NSDC notes.

Antarctica has seen huge sea-ice growth throughout this year and last, which caught many climate scientists by surprise — some more literally than others.


Read more: Antarctic Sea Ice Coverage Continues To Break Records | The Daily Caller
__________________
__________________________________________
We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 40yearfan For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
from, melt, oceans, polar, rising, scientists, warn

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0