Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > Political Forums > Civil Rights & Abortion
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Civil Rights & Abortion Discuss Teen Abortions Surged In Texas After Republicans Defunded Planned Parenthood at the Political Forums; Republicans are trying to find a way to defund Planned Parenthood as part of an overall effort to limit abortion ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-04-2018, 06:21 PM
foundit66's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,615
Thanks: 10,112
Thanked 15,296 Times in 9,272 Posts
Default Teen Abortions Surged In Texas After Republicans Defunded Planned Parenthood

Quote:
Republicans are trying to find a way to defund Planned Parenthood as part of an overall effort to limit abortion in America. But doing so had the opposite effect in Texas, according to a new study based on research from Texas A&M University.

The study, conducted by economics professor Analisa Packham (now at Miami University), shows that in the first three years after Texas Republicans slashed the family planning budget in 2011 and shut down more than 80 women’s health clinics, the abortion rate among teenagers in the state rose 3 percent over what it would have been had the clinics remained open. After cutting Planned Parenthood out of the state’s subsidized women’s health program, then-Gov. Rick Perry (R) said his “goal” was to “ensure abortions are as rare as possible under existing law.” But the move actually interfered with an overall downward trend in abortions in Texas.

“This certainly isn’t the way to have fewer abortions,” said Dr. Diane Horvath-Cosper, an OB-GYN in Maryland and an advocate with Physicians for Reproductive Health. “The abortion rates nationally have decreased and are at a historic low. So for Texans to see an increase in adolescent abortions is really telling ― it seemed to have followed the national trend until these clinics were defunded.”

The greatest rises in abortion rates occurred in rural areas, where access to affordable family planning care was already scarce. In Gregg County, where the local health center lost 60 percent of its family planning funding, the abortion rate increased by 191 percent between 2012 and 2014. The Austin American-Statesman reported that at least five counties in East Texas also saw “considerable increases” in abortions over that two-year period.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b09b587d63018a

I've said it before that the right employs tactics which are counter-productive with actually reducing abortion rates. This being yet another example...


https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...report-n858476
https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...hoice-policies
__________________
“Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
~Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-04-2018, 08:00 PM
Joe Shoe's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,218
Thanks: 822
Thanked 1,589 Times in 1,079 Posts
Default Re: Teen Abortions Surged In Texas After Republicans Defunded Planned Parenthood

https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...isnt-epidemic/

https://www.lifeissues.org/2017/07/t...ort-fake-news/
__________________
What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand???
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Shoe For This Useful Post:
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-05-2018, 12:55 AM
foundit66's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,615
Thanks: 10,112
Thanked 15,296 Times in 9,272 Posts
Default Re: Teen Abortions Surged In Texas After Republicans Defunded Planned Parenthood


It's amusing that both articles make the same errors in ignoring what is plainly stated...
The articles fixate on the rate falling, which is plainly acknowledged in the original article.

The point is that "... the abortion rate among teenagers in the state rose 3 percent over what it would have been had the clinics remained open"
So, for example, if the rate should have decreased by 10% ...
... the actual decrease was only 7%.

Two factors here...
First off, if the defunding of Planned Parenthood were to actually have the desired effect, the rate should have decreased by more than it would have originally. The fact that it didn't should tell people something...

Second, this isn't the first study to note the negative correlation between reduced abortion access and increase in abortion.
And as I pointed out with the follow-on articles, Packham's article was not the first one to note this relationship.

Abortion rates go down when countries make it legal: report
Want to lower the abortion rate? Support pro-choice policies
__________________
“Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
~Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-05-2018, 08:52 AM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,264
Thanks: 9,871
Thanked 8,173 Times in 4,847 Posts
Default Re: Teen Abortions Surged In Texas After Republicans Defunded Planned Parenthood

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post

It's amusing that both articles make the same errors in ignoring what is plainly stated...
The articles fixate on the rate falling, which is plainly acknowledged in the original article.

The point is that "... the abortion rate among teenagers in the state rose 3 percent over what it would have been had the clinics remained open"
So, for example, if the rate should have decreased by 10% ...
... the actual decrease was only 7%.

Two factors here...
First off, if the defunding of Planned Parenthood were to actually have the desired effect, the rate should have decreased by more than it would have originally. The fact that it didn't should tell people something...

Second, this isn't the first study to note the negative correlation between reduced abortion access and increase in abortion.
And as I pointed out with the follow-on articles, Packham's article was not the first one to note this relationship.

Abortion rates go down when countries make it legal: report
Want to lower the abortion rate? Support pro-choice policies
If teen abortions rose after they cost more, then there is something else going on. Anybody know what something else is?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimbo For This Useful Post:
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-05-2018, 08:59 AM
FrancSevin's Avatar
Runs with scissors
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: St Louis MO
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,112
Thanks: 9,356
Thanked 12,789 Times in 7,036 Posts
Default Re: Teen Abortions Surged In Texas After Republicans Defunded Planned Parenthood

A "correlation" and a connected "causation" are not the same thing.

And a 3% rise or fall of an unqualified raw statistic is hardly noteworthy.

Jus' sayin'
__________________
I am going to hang a Batman Costume in my closet. .......... Just to screw with myself when I get alzheimer's.
sola gratia, sola fide, sola scriptura.

I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN, I AM A FREEMAN, THE DEMOCRATS WORST NIGHTMARE
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-05-2018, 10:51 AM
foundit66's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,615
Thanks: 10,112
Thanked 15,296 Times in 9,272 Posts
Post Re: Teen Abortions Surged In Texas After Republicans Defunded Planned Parenthood

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancSevin View Post
A "correlation" and a connected "causation" are not the same thing.
And a 3% rise or fall of an unqualified raw statistic is hardly noteworthy.
Jus' sayin'
When the same behavior is seen in multiple scenarios / different countries, it's not something to be ignored.

Unless you're a right-winger who prizes the method over the actual goal. In which case the rise in abortions fuels a faux sense of superiority which is just as fine as decreasing abortions...


Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo
If teen abortions rose after they cost more, then there is something else going on. Anybody know what something else is?


I've posted this type of stuff numerous times before.
Access to free birth control reduces abortion rates
The right fixates on abortions but ignores all the other stuff that Planned Parenthood does.
__________________
“Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
~Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-05-2018, 11:45 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,917
Thanks: 7,226
Thanked 4,901 Times in 2,790 Posts
Default Re: Teen Abortions Surged In Texas After Republicans Defunded Planned Parenthood

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
When the same behavior is seen in multiple scenarios / different countries, it's not something to be ignored.

Unless you're a right-winger who prizes the method over the actual goal. In which case the rise in abortions fuels a faux sense of superiority which is just as fine as decreasing abortions...





I've posted this type of stuff numerous times before.
Access to free birth control reduces abortion rates
The right fixates on abortions but ignores all the other stuff that Planned Parenthood does.
That's like saying ignore that 6 million Jews that Hitler killed and look at the good things he did like building the Autoban.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine

A lie doesn't become truth, a wrong doesn't become right, and Evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by the majority. - Booker T Washington
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GetAClue For This Useful Post:
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-05-2018, 12:06 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,264
Thanks: 9,871
Thanked 8,173 Times in 4,847 Posts
Default Re: Teen Abortions Surged In Texas After Republicans Defunded Planned Parenthood

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
When the same behavior is seen in multiple scenarios / different countries, it's not something to be ignored.

Unless you're a right-winger who prizes the method over the actual goal. In which case the rise in abortions fuels a faux sense of superiority which is just as fine as decreasing abortions...





I've posted this type of stuff numerous times before.
Access to free birth control reduces abortion rates
The right fixates on abortions but ignores all the other stuff that Planned Parenthood does.
Access to other people pay birth control is not the issue. Abortion is.

If PP wants government money, and it's very arguable whether they should get it at all, then PP should play by the keeper of the purse's rules. If not, no money.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-05-2018, 12:50 PM
FrancSevin's Avatar
Runs with scissors
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: St Louis MO
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,112
Thanks: 9,356
Thanked 12,789 Times in 7,036 Posts
Default Re: Teen Abortions Surged In Texas After Republicans Defunded Planned Parenthood

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
When the same behavior is seen in multiple scenarios / different countries, it's not something to be ignored.

Unless you're a right-winger who prizes the method over the actual goal. In which case the rise in abortions fuels a faux sense of superiority which is just as fine as decreasing abortions...





I've posted this type of stuff numerous times before.
Access to free birth control reduces abortion rates
The right fixates on abortions but ignores all the other stuff that Planned Parenthood does.
Why do you insist on making the respect for life a partisan issue. Or a religious one. It is a human issue.
I'm a right winger who prizes life. And who holds himself and others responsible for the results of their actions. But never at the cost of an innocent.
__________________
I am going to hang a Batman Costume in my closet. .......... Just to screw with myself when I get alzheimer's.
sola gratia, sola fide, sola scriptura.

I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN, I AM A FREEMAN, THE DEMOCRATS WORST NIGHTMARE
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06-05-2018, 08:06 PM
foundit66's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,615
Thanks: 10,112
Thanked 15,296 Times in 9,272 Posts
Post Re: Teen Abortions Surged In Texas After Republicans Defunded Planned Parenthood

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
That's like saying ignore that 6 million Jews that Hitler killed and look at the good things he did like building the Autoban.
No. It's nothing like that.
It's about fighting smarter. Not fighting "harder".
It's about implementing a successful method to lower abortion as opposed to implementing a method you want to lower abortion but actually doesn't have that effect.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
Access to other people pay birth control is not the issue. Abortion is.
I thought you wanted an answer to your question.
You suspected something else must be going on. I answered that question.

And if you refuse to recognize that readily accessible birth control does impact abortion rates, then that's on you...


Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
If PP wants government money, and it's very arguable whether they should get it at all, then PP should play by the keeper of the purse's rules. If not, no money.
They are playing by the rules.


Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancSevin View Post
Why do you insist on making the respect for life a partisan issue. Or a religious one. It is a human issue.
I'm a right winger who prizes life. And who holds himself and others responsible for the results of their actions. But never at the cost of an innocent.
If you think I am the one making it a partisan issue, then there is nothing more that can be really said to you...

But if you prize life and if you consider abortion to be violating that, wouldn't you want to go with a policy that has demonstrated capability to lower abortion rates?
i.e. making sure birth control is readily accessible and affordable and/or free?
__________________
“Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
~Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
abortions, after, defunded, parenthood, planned, republicans, surged, teen, texas

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0