Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > Political Forums > Civil Rights & Abortion
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Civil Rights & Abortion Discuss Oprah Winfrey... Golden Globes at the Political Forums; Oprah's phenomenal speech Everyone everywhere should hear this You Tube You Tube...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2018, 01:02 AM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 77,077
Thanks: 54,268
Thanked 25,778 Times in 18,364 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Oprah Winfrey... Golden Globes

Oprah's phenomenal speech
Everyone everywhere should hear this



__________________
Mueller is good at witch hunting. Its raining witches. America is GREAT.

Doreen E
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saltwn For This Useful Post:
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2018, 08:46 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,779
Thanks: 3,421
Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,416 Posts
Default Re: Oprah Winfrey... Golden Globes

Where was Oprah for the last 20 years while this crap was happening? Pretty brave speaking about it after the fact. It would have shown real courage to be the one to bring it to light when you first found out about it.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2018, 03:15 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 77,077
Thanks: 54,268
Thanked 25,778 Times in 18,364 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Oprah Winfrey... Golden Globes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
Where was Oprah for the last 20 years while this crap was happening? Pretty brave speaking about it after the fact. It would have shown real courage to be the one to bring it to light when you first found out about it.
telling spousal abused callers to leave now on national tv

pizzed off a buncha redneck mocho cry babies
__________________
Mueller is good at witch hunting. Its raining witches. America is GREAT.

Doreen E
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2018, 08:42 PM
Hairy Jello's Avatar
Deplorable
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,422
Thanks: 1,833
Thanked 11,581 Times in 7,229 Posts
Default Re: Oprah Winfrey... Golden Globes

Clinton rape accuser Juanita Broaddrick slams Oprah Winfrey's celebrated Golden Globes speech | Fox News
__________________

Not an accurate representation of a white person.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hairy Jello For This Useful Post:
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2018, 08:47 PM
Hairy Jello's Avatar
Deplorable
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,422
Thanks: 1,833
Thanked 11,581 Times in 7,229 Posts
Default Re: Oprah Winfrey... Golden Globes

Looks like Oprah made money off the buzz and rumors that she might run for POTUS.

Oprah cashed in on buzz about her running for president — here’s how much she made – TheBlaze

Quote:
We don’t know if Oprah Winfrey will run for president in 2020, but just the buzz from her Golden Globes speech and potential candidacy has made her a lot of money, according to USA Today.

Winfrey owns about 10 percent of Weight Watchers, and is a very public face of the company. After her Golden Globes speech Sunday night led to rumors and discussions of her running for office, the company’s stock went up 12.2 percent Monday.

Weight Watchers stock closed at $52.62. For context, Winfrey bought in when the stock was at just $6.79 in 2015, investing $43.2 million.

Monday’s boost works out to a paper profit of more than $36 million from Friday to Monday for Winfrey, whose net worth is currently estimated at 2.8 billion.
__________________

Not an accurate representation of a white person.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2018, 09:26 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 77,077
Thanks: 54,268
Thanked 25,778 Times in 18,364 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Oprah Winfrey... Golden Globes

paid fox contributor; wonder if she hollered when ailes and oreilly tried to feel her up in the hallway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Jello View Post
Looks like Oprah made money off the buzz and rumors that she might run for POTUS.

Oprah cashed in on buzz about her running for president — here’s how much she made – TheBlaze
She didn't say anything about running for President. You know that because you watched the OP video trying to get some juice to make me angry.

Sorry you lose
__________________
Mueller is good at witch hunting. Its raining witches. America is GREAT.

Doreen E
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2018, 07:13 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,779
Thanks: 3,421
Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,416 Posts
Default Re: Oprah Winfrey... Golden Globes

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
telling spousal abused callers to leave now on national tv

pizzed off a buncha redneck mocho cry babies
For someone so concerned about sexual abuse, she sure didn't have a problem with Harvey Weinstein during this period. And before you claim she didn't know about Weinstein's behavior, it has been a well known "secret" in Hollywood for years.

Oprah's History With Harvey Weinstein [P | The Daily Caller
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GetAClue For This Useful Post:
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2018, 08:11 AM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,652
Thanks: 9,555
Thanked 5,801 Times in 3,920 Posts
Default Re: Oprah Winfrey... Golden Globes

I always believed Clinton's Accusers but have to say that what Oprah said in her speech was very cool.

and I can't bring myself to try and dismiss or minimize what she said there.
But i do hope she can move forward more consistently. As we all should, right Hairy?
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-11-2018, 07:39 AM
Conservative Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 16,156
Thanks: 9,156
Thanked 9,748 Times in 5,949 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to AZRWinger
Default Re: Oprah Winfrey... Golden Globes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wonder View Post
I always believed Clinton's Accusers but have to say that what Oprah said in her speech was very cool.

and I can't bring myself to try and dismiss or minimize what she said there.
But i do hope she can move forward more consistently. As we all should, right Hairy?
Oprah's speech was an attempt to marry racial demogogery with the Spanish Inquisition style Me too movement. It was classic Left wing divisive identity politics which conveniently ignored troubling facts such as Oprah's long, close association with Harvey Weinstein despite the common knowledge he routinely engaged in sexual predation of female actresses. Instead of offering anything like a personal mea culpa for her part in the cover up Oprah chose to try appropriating victimhood to herself as a virtue signifier.
__________________
The Democrat's strategy for the Trump Presidency is the same one used by Stalin's secret police chief "show me the man and I will show you the crime."
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01-11-2018, 09:22 AM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,652
Thanks: 9,555
Thanked 5,801 Times in 3,920 Posts
Default Re: Oprah Winfrey... Golden Globes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRWinger View Post
Oprah's speech was an attempt to marry racial demogogery with the Spanish Inquisition style Me too movement. It was classic Left wing divisive identity politics which conveniently ignored troubling facts such as Oprah's long, close association with Harvey Weinstein despite the common knowledge he routinely engaged in sexual predation of female actresses. Instead of offering anything like a personal mea culpa for her part in the cover up Oprah chose to try appropriating victimhood to herself as a virtue signifier.
whoah, I that's a pretty dark slant you put on it there.

But AZ, I just don't know how you can be so sure about her dark motives here.
"...was an attempt to marry racial demagoguery with the Spanish Inquisition style Me too movement." "Left wing divisive identity politics"...
But i guess like those that assume the worse possible motives for Trump's every move and somehow assume his evil motives are just "FACTS". I guess you can believe the worse of Oparh here as well.

But for me in this case, I can say that There are plenty of things i disagree with Oprah on, on a lot of levels. But that in this particular speech I can't really find much fault.

Should she come clean about what she knew and why she didn't speak out earlier, on this and other issues, sure. And so should a lot of folks. But IMO If in this speach she was trying to paint herself out o be some kind of longtime leader in this "me too" thing or trying promoted some bogus left wing rules during the speech I'd would have some problems with it. But as it is, it's just comes across to me as:
"RAH!!! RAH!! good for Women for standing up against sexual abuse. RAH!! RAH!! thanks for the award, it's another opportunity to inspire poor young black girls to do better."
So AZ i just don't see it in the sizzling heart of darkness way you've painted it.


You probably know that Oprah was sexually abused as a little girl herself. And that she started a home for girls in Africa were she found out that some of the workers were trying to abuse the children there. She mentioned in the speech of thinking of her mother's hard work during a more racially divided time and what sparked hope in her. So I'm guessing all that did feed into her motives for the speech too
... maybe as even much as any "Left wing divisive identity politics", "racial demagoguery" or "Spanish Inquisition style Me too" concerns.

I just don't see a need to foster MORE division over what she said here. No need to hear it in the darkest light as part of some kind of larger battle.
IMO, Content wise, there's really nothing wrong with it on the face of it.
Neither you or me or Oprah are for sexual abuse or racism. right? Seems to me we all have some common ground there at least.
nothing in the speech seems controversial at all.

seems to me that folks shouldn't always think that just becasue a topic is brought up that it's part of a war.
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
globes, golden, oprah, winfrey

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0