Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > Political Forums > Civil Rights & Abortion
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Civil Rights & Abortion Discuss Oprah Winfrey... Golden Globes at the Political Forums; Originally Posted by mr. wonder whoah, I that's a pretty dark slant you put on it there. But AZ, I ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 01-11-2018, 09:30 AM
GetAClue's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,234
Thanks: 2,895
Thanked 1,907 Times in 1,114 Posts
Default Re: Oprah Winfrey... Golden Globes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wonder View Post
whoah, I that's a pretty dark slant you put on it there.

But AZ, I just don't know how you can be so sure about her dark motives here.
"...was an attempt to marry racial demagoguery with the Spanish Inquisition style Me too movement." "Left wing divisive identity politics"...
But i guess like those that assume the worse possible motives for Trump's every move and somehow assume his evil motives are just "FACTS". I guess you can believe the worse of Oparh here as well.

But for me in this case, I can say that There are plenty of things i disagree with Oprah on, on a lot of levels. But that in this particular speech I can't really find much fault.

Should she come clean about what she knew and why she didn't speak out earlier, on this and other issues, sure. And so should a lot of folks. But IMO If in this speach she was trying to paint herself out o be some kind of longtime leader in this "me too" thing or trying promoted some bogus left wing rules during the speech I'd would have some problems with it. But as it is, it's just comes across to me as:
"RAH!!! RAH!! good for Women for standing up against sexual abuse. RAH!! RAH!! thanks for the award, it's another opportunity to inspire poor young black girls to do better."
So AZ i just don't see it in the sizzling heart of darkness way you've painted it.


You probably know that Oprah was sexually abused as a little girl herself. And that she started a home for girls in Africa were she found out that some of the workers were trying to abuse the children there. She mentioned in the speech of thinking of her mother's hard work during a more racially divided time and what sparked hope in her. So I'm guessing all that did feed into her motives for the speech too
... maybe as even much as any "Left wing divisive identity politics", "racial demagoguery" or "Spanish Inquisition style Me too" concerns.

I just don't see a need to foster MORE division over what she said here. No need to hear it in the darkest light as part of some kind of larger battle.
IMO, Content wise, there's really nothing wrong with it on the face of it.
Neither you or me or Oprah are for sexual abuse or racism. right? Seems to me we all have some common ground there at least.
nothing in the speech seems controversial at all.

seems to me that folks shouldn't always think that just becasue a topic is brought up that it's part of a war.
It came about 20 years too late.

Nobody has a problem with what Oprah said in her speech, it is just the blatant hypocrisy of the speech that gets me. It is one thing to talk about sexual abuse but another to stand up and confront it when it involves those you work with or around. This speech was as much a speech of opportunity as anything else.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 01-11-2018, 10:00 AM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,332
Thanks: 9,385
Thanked 5,638 Times in 3,797 Posts
Default Re: Oprah Winfrey... Golden Globes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
It came about 20 years too late.

Nobody has a problem with what Oprah said in her speech, it is just the blatant hypocrisy of the speech that gets me. It is one thing to talk about sexual abuse but another to stand up and confront it when it involves those you work with or around. This speech was as much a speech of opportunity as anything else.
I can sorta get that.
But really, we've just watch some people on the right give money and verbal support Roy Moore, and attack his "dates" without much (any) shame. And there's no similar outrage from many rank and file conservatives about that.
So in the wider current landscape Oprah's "RAH RAH racialprogress/sexualabusevindication" speech, though hypocritical in her silence and late is not really much of a deal. At least it's pointing us all in the right direction.

And as i said A LOT of people in the MSM and Hollywood KNEW about Weinstien and others but didn't say jack for decades. (And they still havn't broken the silence on Hollywood pedophilia).

SO yeah I agree I hope she does come clean about what she knew or heard, ( i doubt she will though) But there are MANY things that Oprah has done that's been weird and hypocritical. And i don't like her leftist political views.
But I really can't bring myself to be appalled about this speech.
She's a celebrity not a politician and her offense here is silence, not active promotion or participation.
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8

Last edited by mr wonder; 01-11-2018 at 10:13 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 01-11-2018, 10:13 AM
Kert's Avatar
Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,375
Thanks: 887
Thanked 834 Times in 532 Posts
Default Re: Oprah Winfrey... Golden Globes

Seal calls out Oprah Winfrey for hypocrisy, calls her 'part of the problem'


Quote:
Internationally renowned musician Seal trashed Oprah Winfrey on social media just days after her widely praised speech at the Golden Globe Awards on sexual misconduct in Hollywood, calling her a “part of the problem for decades.”
In another note Seth MacFarlane

Quote:
On Tuesday, comedian and “Family Guy” creator Seth MacFarlane also spoke out against Winfrey, cautioning that celebrity power does not alone qualify a candidate for the presidency.

“Oprah is beyond doubt a magnificent orator,” MacFarlane wrote. “But the idea of a reality show star running against a talk show host is troublingly dystopian. We don’t want to create a world where dedicated public service careers become undesirable and impractical in the face of raw celebrity.”
__________________
“I believe that a life lived for music is an existence spent wonderfully, and this is what I’ve dedicated my life to.” Luciano Pavarotti
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 01-11-2018, 10:22 AM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,332
Thanks: 9,385
Thanked 5,638 Times in 3,797 Posts
Default Re: Oprah Winfrey... Golden Globes

i respect Junitia Broderick's complaint and she should be heard.
But I wonder what Ted Nugent has to say? And I'd like to see quotes of people's outrage about his speeches.
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 01-11-2018, 01:07 PM
GetAClue's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,234
Thanks: 2,895
Thanked 1,907 Times in 1,114 Posts
Default Re: Oprah Winfrey... Golden Globes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wonder View Post
I can sorta get that.
But really, we've just watch some people on the right give money and verbal support Roy Moore, and attack his "dates" without much (any) shame. And there's no similar outrage from many rank and file conservatives about that.
So in the wider current landscape Oprah's "RAH RAH racialprogress/sexualabusevindication" speech, though hypocritical in her silence and late is not really much of a deal. At least it's pointing us all in the right direction.
There is a bit of a difference when comparing Weinstein to Moore. Moore was never accused of sexually assaulting anyone, just simply a desire to date younger women. And those accusations where never proven. I don't know of anyone here that went after the accusers anymore than to post when their claims were proven false (in regards to Moore signing the yearbook. The accuser fessed up that they actually signed it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wonder View Post
And as i said A LOT of people in the MSM and Hollywood KNEW about Weinstien and others but didn't say jack for decades. (And they still havn't broken the silence on Hollywood pedophilia).

SO yeah I agree I hope she does come clean about what she knew or heard, ( i doubt she will though) But there are MANY things that Oprah has done that's been weird and hypocritical. And i don't like her leftist political views.
But I really can't bring myself to be appalled about this speech.
She's a celebrity not a politician and her offense here is silence, not active promotion or participation.
I'm not appalled by her speech, I just find it opportunistic and hypocritical in that she, to the best of my knowledge, had never openly condemned Weinstein. And being as she had business dealings with him, I highly doubt that she had not previously known about his sexual perversions.
__________________
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 01-11-2018, 04:51 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 75,796
Thanks: 53,842
Thanked 25,636 Times in 18,244 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Oprah Winfrey... Golden Globes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
It came about 20 years too late.

Nobody has a problem with what Oprah said in her speech, it is just the blatant hypocrisy of the speech that gets me. It is one thing to talk about sexual abuse but another to stand up and confront it when it involves those you work with or around. This speech was as much a speech of opportunity as anything else.
As a woman I understood it to be a speech mostly to and about women.
__________________

Water Gate II
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 01-11-2018, 04:56 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 75,796
Thanks: 53,842
Thanked 25,636 Times in 18,244 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Oprah Winfrey... Golden Globes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAClue View Post
For someone so concerned about sexual abuse, she sure didn't have a problem with Harvey Weinstein during this period. And before you claim she didn't know about Weinstein's behavior, it has been a well known "secret" in Hollywood for years.

Oprah's History With Harvey Weinstein [P | The Daily Caller
people are copping to the fact that it happens; it is wrong; it is as bad as it sound;s and yes you can do something about it whether you stand to lose some dough or not. no blackmail me.
__________________

Water Gate II
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2018, 09:57 AM
Conservative Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 15,831
Thanks: 8,725
Thanked 9,413 Times in 5,759 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to AZRWinger
Default Re: Oprah Winfrey... Golden Globes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wonder View Post
whoah, I that's a pretty dark slant you put on it there.

But AZ, I just don't know how you can be so sure about her dark motives here.
"...was an attempt to marry racial demagoguery with the Spanish Inquisition style Me too movement." "Left wing divisive identity politics"...
But i guess like those that assume the worse possible motives for Trump's every move and somehow assume his evil motives are just "FACTS". I guess you can believe the worse of Oparh here as well.

But for me in this case, I can say that There are plenty of things i disagree with Oprah on, on a lot of levels. But that in this particular speech I can't really find much fault.

Should she come clean about what she knew and why she didn't speak out earlier, on this and other issues, sure. And so should a lot of folks. But IMO If in this speach she was trying to paint herself out o be some kind of longtime leader in this "me too" thing or trying promoted some bogus left wing rules during the speech I'd would have some problems with it. But as it is, it's just comes across to me as:
"RAH!!! RAH!! good for Women for standing up against sexual abuse. RAH!! RAH!! thanks for the award, it's another opportunity to inspire poor young black girls to do better."
So AZ i just don't see it in the sizzling heart of darkness way you've painted it.


You probably know that Oprah was sexually abused as a little girl herself. And that she started a home for girls in Africa were she found out that some of the workers were trying to abuse the children there. She mentioned in the speech of thinking of her mother's hard work during a more racially divided time and what sparked hope in her. So I'm guessing all that did feed into her motives for the speech too
... maybe as even much as any "Left wing divisive identity politics", "racial demagoguery" or "Spanish Inquisition style Me too" concerns.

I just don't see a need to foster MORE division over what she said here. No need to hear it in the darkest light as part of some kind of larger battle.
IMO, Content wise, there's really nothing wrong with it on the face of it.
Neither you or me or Oprah are for sexual abuse or racism. right? Seems to me we all have some common ground there at least.
nothing in the speech seems controversial at all.

seems to me that folks shouldn't always think that just becasue a topic is brought up that it's part of a war.
Oprah is the wealthiest woman in America. Perhaps the richest self made woman in American history. She might have at least mentioned that in passing. But no, she chose to portray her mother as a victim because she worked as a domestic, so much for the dignity of hard work, and wave the bloody shirt over a 60 year old rape.

Ophra took pains to make sure she cited a crime by white men as if a 60 year old crime indicts contemporary abusers. But there is more, Ophra chose to cite a case where civil rights heroine Rosa Parks was involved in a cynical attempt to conflate the civil rights struggle of 60 years ago where taking a stand came with real risks with the eminently fashionable me too movement where any questioning of accusations is grounds for condemnation.

Oprah couldn't bear to mention Hollywood's indifference to the open secret of the abuse for decades. Instead of confronting her close association with Harvey Weinstein Ophra chose virtue signaling. That is not a dark motive, it's a statement of fact.
__________________
The Democrat's strategy for the Trump Presidency is the same one used by Stalin's secret police chief "show me the man and I will show you the crime."
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2018, 08:07 AM
mr wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,332
Thanks: 9,385
Thanked 5,638 Times in 3,797 Posts
Default Re: Oprah Winfrey... Golden Globes


as i've said several times i get the hypocrisy bit.

But her speech was fine.
Look just becasue some folks can't bare to ever hear anything about sexual abuse and racism past or present it doesn't mean those that bring it up come from some dark agenda much less that her words should be dismissed out of hand.

I said the same about Trump's INITIAL speech about the horror show in Charlottesville VA.. link
I'm no Trump fan and i could point to dark bits of his history that didn't align with his words. And assume the worse motives on his part.
But most of the WORDS of his speech were well said and well chosen.
and i gave him props for that.

same for Oprah here.

when GOOD principals and truth are spoken i try to honor that. And I like to ask the people live up to them and not JUST condemn them for saying it. unless they are hard core participants in darkness. but even then I like to HOPE they can move onto the better track they've spoken of.

but regardless, i tend to be grateful every time simple truths and calls to high moral ground are spoken publicly. it doesn't happen that often.
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8

Last edited by mr wonder; 01-16-2018 at 08:27 AM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
globes, golden, oprah, winfrey

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0